PDA

View Full Version : 9 mm with Ability To Adjust Grip Size?

DWood
11-01-08, 17:59
I am a Glock man, so that's what I know. I'm looking for a pistol for the daughter of a friend. The grips on the Glock 19 are a little too big for her. What is available in a top quality gun, i.e. Springfield, S & W, etc. in 9 mm that has adjustable grip inserts that will accomodate small hands? I'm looking for a striker fired pistol with no manual safety. Not interested in a Kahr or Kel Tec.

The Springfield XD(m) looks interesting but is only available in .40 from what I have read.

Thanks in advance.

Jay Cunningham
11-01-08, 18:00
Sounds like you described the S&W M&P9...

DWood
11-01-08, 18:02
Sounds like you described the S&W M&P9...
Are the grips adjustable or just smaller? I have no experience with them? Thanks Katar.

ToddG
11-01-08, 18:13
The M&P comes with three different size grip straps which change both the width and depth of the gripping area. They're fairly easy to switch back and forth (5-10 seconds).

You could also look at the Walther P99, though many here have voiced a preference for the M&P, myself included.

Unless you're absolutely positively dead set against a hammer fired gun, the H&K P2000 is another worthwhile choice.

John_Wayne777
11-01-08, 18:14
There are three different backstraps included with the M&P's that allow you to adjust the grip. There's a small, medium, and large insert. They are made of polymer so they can be further modified via shadetree engineering if desired.

The M&P is going to be a better fit than the big honkin XD-M's that I've seen. The M&P 9 (full sized) is a bit bigger than a G19. The M&P 9C is actually a bit smaller than the G19.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0671.jpg

Right now there is a special edition M&P in 9mm with a pink grip that donates a portion of the proceeds to breast cancer research. It has the breast cancer awareness ribbon engraved on the slide and everything.

DWood
11-01-08, 18:58
Thanks for the replys. I think the MP 9 is where we will be looking.

decodeddiesel
11-01-08, 19:38
Thanks for the replys. I think the MP 9 is where we will be looking.

Look at the Walther P99 as well, adjustable grip sizes, tenifer coated parts (just like a glock) and changing out the sights with night sights is an at home afair. Great pistols! I love mine!

Palmguy
11-01-08, 21:39
Look at the Walther P99 as well, adjustable grip sizes, tenifer coated parts (just like a glock) and changing out the sights with night sights is an at home afair. Great pistols! I love mine!

The XDM is available in 9mm now. I handled one yesterday and was impressed. 19+1 capacity. M&P9 is a good choice, as are the P99 and P2000.

crowkiller
11-01-08, 23:54
I am a Glock man, so that's what I know. I'm looking for a pistol for the daughter of a friend. The grips on the Glock 19 are a little too big for her. What is available in a top quality gun, i.e. Springfield, S & W, etc. in 9 mm that has adjustable grip inserts that will accomodate small hands? I'm looking for a striker fired pistol with no manual safety. Not interested in a Kahr or Kel Tec.

The Springfield XD(m) looks interesting but is only available in .40 from what I have read.

Thanks in advance.

There is two 9mm on the market right now the H&K P30 and the M&P 9 cant go wrong with either.

decodeddiesel
11-01-08, 23:57
The XDM is available in 9mm now. I handled one yesterday and was impressed. 19+1 capacity. M&P9 is a good choice, as are the P99 and P2000.

The XDM is pretty cool, but it's rather large for women. My wife (who shoots 1911s very well) thought it was WAY too big.

ToddG
11-02-08, 00:36
Something to keep in mind whenever handling guns at a gun shop: Though many modern guns have adjustable and interchangeable grip sizes (Walther P99, HK P2000 and P30 and HK45, Smith M&P, SIG P250) the average gun shop usually just has the "medium" grip option on the gun. Unless you can actually disassemble the grip and try the different options, it's difficult to tell whether a particular gun will have an adequate trigger reach, etc., for a particular shooter.

DWood
11-02-08, 09:29
Good info from all. Thanks.

Palmguy
11-02-08, 11:04
Something to keep in mind whenever handling guns at a gun shop: Though many modern guns have adjustable and interchangeable grip sizes (Walther P99, HK P2000 and P30 and HK45, Smith M&P, SIG P250) the average gun shop usually just has the "medium" grip option on the gun. Unless you can actually disassemble the grip and try the different options, it's difficult to tell whether a particular gun will have an adequate trigger reach, etc., for a particular shooter.

That's one of the good things about the M&P compared to others, as it is actually possible to swap out the backstraps at a gun store counter without a punch and dealing with rollpins.

LegalAlien
11-02-08, 11:20
Beretta PX4 has 3 interchangable backstraps

Ruger SR9 has a backstrap that can be 'flipped' from straight to curved.

Two more to add to your thoughts

Paul45
11-02-08, 11:33
Try the Walther PPS - Single stack 9mm with different size back straps - 6, 7 & 8 rounds mags available. I like it better that my G26. Very Flat and shoots very well!

USMGoldenEagle
11-02-08, 12:42
I would recommend the PX4 Storm by Beretta.

Hersh
11-02-08, 14:11
Unless you can actually disassemble the grip and try the different options, it's difficult to tell whether a particular gun will have an adequate trigger reach, etc., for a particular shooter.

Good point!

My M&P was originally setup with the medium grip. After some experimenting I found that the small was better for my hand. Some rough comparisons showed that it fit my hand very close to the way a 1911 does.

Fwiw, I've been shooting 1911s for years and never thought I'd like a polymer framed gun, but the M&P is good-to-go!
Ymmv.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d172/Hershel_Van/MP-1.jpg

LegalAlien
11-02-08, 16:02
I would recommend the PX4 Storm by Beretta.

I handled (fondled) both the PX4 and the M&P at BassPro and both felt really comfortable. Both had a very natural point with great grip angle, but in the end the PX4 just felt more balanced and solid than the M&P.

I think the M&P range are also awesome choices and might still settle on a compact 9mm at some time in the future for a backup concealed carry.

I have not shot with the M&P, but the rotating barrel technology on the PX4 makes for a very soft and comfortable recoil.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the M&P or the PX4

ghideon
11-02-08, 16:21
I can recommend both the P99 and P2000. I love both of, and am very accurate with the P99. Both are ambi friendly, with the P2000 being completely ambi (including slide stop). Beware, as they both feature mag releases in the trigger guard area.

DocGKR
11-02-08, 16:28
The M&P.