PDA

View Full Version : replacement firing pin rec

voiceofreason
11-13-18, 10:22
Talked with someone at the range who had his firing pin break on him. Considering adding a few to my parts bin even though I've never had an issue with one failing before.

Looking for solidly reliable.

Recommended firing pins?

Colt?
BCM?

HeruMew
11-13-18, 10:35
A search would pull up a bit on that question; but to summarize: Yes.

Sionics, Colt, BCM, etc are all "recommended".

If you want to run a cheaper pin, go for it. Realistically a Stag, Toolcraft, Mid-level brand will be just as effective in terms of round count.

I would avoid eBay, Wish, etc. But, realistically, a firing pin from a high level name can't be that much more expensive than a mid-level.

Do as you see fit in the end, I am sure you'll find reliability in 75%+ of Firing pins on the market.

ETA: However, I just looked, and you just missed out at Brownells. They had "Colt AR15A4 Firing pins" for 9.99 each.

Wish I woulda seen that before too. x.x

titsonritz
11-13-18, 20:23
Seven bucks from BCM or SIONICS, buy a handful, better yet get a couple bolt rebuild kits.

joeg26er
11-13-18, 21:32
Seven bucks from BCM or SIONICS, buy a handful, better yet get a couple bolt rebuild kits.

At How many rounds would you rebuild the bolt?

opngrnd
11-13-18, 21:40
Talked with someone at the range who had his firing pin break on him. Considering adding a few to my parts bin even though I've never had an issue with one failing before.

Looking for solidly reliable.

Recommended firing pins?

Colt?
BCM?

I've ordered quite a few BCMs ,originally just because I was having pierced primers while trying to work with a rather problematic powder. I'd probably go Sionics, BCM, Colt.

mack7.62
11-13-18, 22:07

Who made the bolt matters but IIRC with carbine gas you can expect the bolt itself to fail (shed a lug or break in half) around 6,000 - 10,000 rounds.

EzGoingKev
11-18-18, 08:23

I have gone back and forth on whether or not to rebuild the bolt at x round count or just replace it.

Regarding the firing pins, I just bought a couple from LWRC. They only stock the large collar firing pins (which I run) and they were on sale.

wanderson
11-20-18, 15:37
personally I think the best bang for the buck is to get a spare Toolcraft BCG. I think last Black Friday I ordered one for $57 shipped.

I've seen more broken bolts than broken firing pins.