PDA

View Full Version : Colt le6920 or bcm mid-16 mod 0...

Magnoliabreeze
11-13-18, 10:38
Had a psa ar-15 that was my first one and regretfully sold it...looking to get another one and been researching and have decided on these two.

The colt is a little cheaper and wondering should I spend just a little more money for the bcm. Really only thing I want to add is a red dot..

Been a lurker and just joined...this site definitely seems the most knowledgeable on the AR15..

HeruMew
11-13-18, 10:58
Had a psa ar-15 that was my first one and regretfully sold it...looking to get another one and been researching and have decided on these two.

The colt is a little cheaper and wondering should I spend just a little more money for the bcm. Really only thing I want to add is a red dot..

Been a lurker and just joined...this site definitely seems the most knowledgeable on the AR15..

Don't regret the PSA sale, at all. You enjoyed it, got to use it, and now you're looking at the right stuff.

6920 is an all around fantastic rifle. If I recall correctly, that one should come with an H2 Buffer, though I may be mistaken and it might come with a Carbine. YMMV there.

The BCM Mid is another great option. I have never had, specifically, a BCM mid, but I will say my Midlength runs smoother and better than anything I have so far. Mixed it with an A5 system and it really does a fantastic job in running with very little impulse and sight movement with 5.56.

Best of luck in your decisions, I can say you are making a good choice with either of them. It comes down to preference, rail option, and gas length at this point.

Magnoliabreeze
11-13-18, 10:59
Ok...kinda new to the ar15 platform and see the bcm is a mid length and the colt is a carbine..the mid length is more preferable right...thx

Does one have less recoil out of a carbine vs middy?

trvsAR
11-13-18, 11:14
they would both serve you well, id lean towards the bcm just because of the mid length gas

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-13-18, 11:18
Nothing wrong with either choice. Both are solid rifles. These days I'm a fan of the Colt 6920 OEM models that come without furniture in the $750 range. Saves a little money and I'm gonna replace the furniture anyways and I don't need anymore basic M4 stocks and handguards laying around here. Here's an OEM 2 for $740.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2680

ggammell
11-13-18, 11:20
Does one have less recoil out of a carbine vs middy?

Less recoil from the mid gas system because the gas has a longer distance to travel and thus the pressure reduces.

Either way, pick one. Get the colt and some ammo for close to the price of the BCM most likely.

B Cart
11-13-18, 11:29
I have a Colt 6920 and a BCM Middy, and they are both great guns and either one will serve you well. Which models are you looking at specifically? The Colt LE6920 Trooper is hard to beat for the price if you haven't looked at that. You can pick one up for around $870 and it comes with a Centurion MLOK rail.

As for recoil, I have both carbine and mid length ARs, and the difference in feel is hard to quantify, but I feel like the mid length guns do feel a bit smoother. If you are worried about recoil, a good muzzle brake will help, and I also prefer running a heavier buffer like an H2 in most of my ARs.

Good luck in your search and you're picking from 2 great options.

Magnoliabreeze
11-13-18, 13:05
Yea really like the mod 2, but trying to stay within my budget. That’s a great looking rifle there. What is that piece called right under the flashlight under the barrel? Is that something I could add to the mod 0?

Renegade04
11-13-18, 13:14
Yea really like the mod 2, but trying to stay within my budget. That’s a great looking rifle there. What is that piece called right under the flashlight under the barrel? Is that something I could add to the mod 0?

It is the BCM Gunfighter KAG (picatinny version). They do have the Keymod version that should work with the handguard on the Mod 0.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-KAG-KeyMod-Black-p/bcm-kag-km-blk.htm

RHINOWSO
11-13-18, 14:58
I have a BCM ELW 16" Mid-upper on a Mega lower I built. I love middies in general but nothing is wrong with a Colt Trooper 6920 (I have one of those coming).

BCM is great but if you are stretched for money, it's really hard to beat the value of a Colt 6920 Trooper right now at $870. The BCM gives you more if you want their stock / grip and PNT, but if you want to upgrade to other stuff, the Colt might be the better call.

Honestly either way you'll be fine. Both are great rifles.

Magnoliabreeze
11-13-18, 15:29
Where’s the best place to buy from for the colt trooper at that price?

grizzman
11-13-18, 15:36
I own a Colt LE6920-R (Trooper) as well as a couple 16" mid-length BCM uppers (one an ELW). They perform similarly enough that I wouldn't currently pay very much over the price of a Trooper to get into one of the BCMs.

Buds tends to ship rather slowly for my orders, but they're a solid option.

I don't think I've used Hinterland Outfitters, but I've not read anything negative about them.

Iraqgunz
11-13-18, 15:55
Why do you have a budget? Is there some major crisis coming that is going to prevent you from saving for a few more months?

Magnoliabreeze
11-13-18, 16:08
Well just can’t see spending more than $1500 for what I want with the rifle and a red dot. I have other hobbies also..

ABNAK
11-13-18, 16:24
Nothing wrong with either choice. Both are solid rifles. These days I'm a fan of the Colt 6920 OEM models that come without furniture in the $750 range. Saves a little money and I'm gonna replace the furniture anyways and I don't need anymore basic M4 stocks and handguards laying around here. Here's an OEM 2 for $740.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/2680

Got one coming for $605 including shipping. Arms Unlimited. :p

Mr McSimon
11-13-18, 17:15
I've got both, and honestly I prefer the LE6920 over the BCM Mod 0 middy. It's hard to quantify why, but the 6920 is just fun to shoot, and lighter than the Mod 0. True that the mid-length is a tad softer, but an H2 (or A5 buffer system) can take care of that, and you got to love Colt barrels. I find it an added bonus with the carbine length that if you find yourself shooting underpowered ammo, you shouldn't have any problems with it. Honestly though, I doubt you would with the BCM either. I have other BCM uppers too, I'm a big fan of both brands, so so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

B Cart
11-13-18, 17:43
The BCM Mid-16 Mod 2 is almost double the price of the Colt6920 Trooper…. Based on your budget, I would save the extra $700 and get the Trooper and then put the extra $ into things like a red dot, sling, mags, ammo, and training. I think BCM makes awesome guns, but the Trooper sounds like a better fit for you, and I have one and it is an excellent gun.

As for where to buy, ArmsUnlimited used to have the Colt Trooper for screaming deals, but I don’t see them on their site anymore. Outside of that, BudsGuns is usually one of the cheapest places to find guns, and I’ve bought 4-5 guns from them and they are good to go. I think their price is $868.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-13-18, 17:50
Got one coming for $605 including shipping. Arms Unlimited. :p

When did you order it? They've been outta stock every time I've checked.

JediGuy
11-13-18, 18:07

They had a sale at the beginning of November, right after Brownells discontinued the Colt lowers.

OP, it’s hard to beat all the boxes that get checked with the Colt Trooper, just understand you’ll have to drop a little more money to get iron sights. I would plan on spending another ~$100 for Daniel Defense fixed iron sights. You’ll be in under $1000 with a great barrel and a free-floating, quality handguard. I also got one of the ArmsUnlimited deals and plan to add an extra Centurion OEM rail to it...to turn it into a Colt Trooper. Only, I know I’ll get the barrel nut torqued right. As some have pointed out, the midlength gas system is generally more desirable, but at the skill level it seems you are (and where I am not far from either), the Trooper is all you need. You can always buy another nice upper, like a Sionics or Colt CCU or BCM midlength.

grizzman
11-13-18, 18:20
At $868, the Trooper is damn hard to ignore.

Would you be likely to add a free float handguard to the BCM Mod 0 if you went that route?

RHINOWSO
11-13-18, 18:58
Trooper, Aimpoint Pro, BFG Sling, and mags & ammo is hard to beat for $1500.

MegademiC
11-13-18, 19:07
Ar rifle and rds, get the colt. If you want to add a sling and flashlight, the price of a rail and added benefits becomes a wash.

I would suggest against an arbitrary budget. Define what you want and save to earn it.

Edit- that trooper is a heluva deal.

JediGuy
11-13-18, 19:09
I’ve seen this vendor referenced before, can’t speak to their service:

Colt 6920-R Trooper - $819 plus shipping plus FFL
https://www.shtftactical.com/products/rifles-colt-le6920-r-098289020604-913

Daniel Defense Fixed Front and Rear Sights
$100-120 anywhere, less in the Equipment Exchange on this site, saw a set recently

Trijicon MRO on lower 1/3 Larue QD mount - $440 plus shipping
https://www.larue.com/products/trijicon-mro-qd-mount-combo/
(Alternative, Sionics has the Aimpoint PRO for $437, which you could get with the light setup referenced below.)

D&H 30 rd magazines - $6.99*10= $69.90 plus shipping
https://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-5-56-30rd-aluminum-magazine-8416.html

Ready to go.

Bonus material:

Flashlight and mounting system (I don’t know much about lighting, but this vendor is thumbs up and I’d probably buy this setup) - $130 plus $13 shipping
http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/optics-and-lights/212-patrol-rifle-zero.html

Frank Proctor sling - $34 and free shipping if you have Prime (why would you not?)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNMXDHC?m=A3HKF6VPVHSOIK&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

As my two year old would say: “All done.”

magister
11-13-18, 19:11
Here’s the good news. You’ve already narrowed down your choices between two outstanding rifles. Both answers are correct. I like my Trooper and BCM mid equally, and you’ll probably enjoy whichever you pick.

MistWolf
11-13-18, 19:12
Correct gas port diameter and buffer weight is more important than carbine gas vs midlength. I like shooting a 16 inch carbine gas Colt 6920 better than an over gassed 16 inch middie with a CAR buffer.

I suggest taking a close look at the Colt CCU. Free float handguard and a 16 inch lightweight barrel with a midlength gas system.

JediGuy
11-13-18, 19:27
I suggest taking a close look at the Colt CCU. Free float handguard and a 16 inch lightweight barrel with a midlength gas system.

If you look this direction, I can vouch for this vendor. Colt CCU, with better pistol grip, better handguard, “better” safety, better stock, better gas system, lighter barrel. - $1088.52 with free shipping plus FFL

https://www.gunbuyer.com/clt-combat-unit-m4-carb-5-56-16-1-mlok-30rd-talo-clt-le6960ccu-c.html

You would still need to add sights.

titsonritz
11-13-18, 20:18
Yea really like the mod 2, but trying to stay within my budget.

One of the many great things about an AR is, if budget is a major concern, one can simply make "three payments", first buy a complete lower, next but a BCG, mags & ammo, lastly buy the upper of choice and put it together and go shooting.

Magnoliabreeze
11-13-18, 22:33
If you look this direction, I can vouch for this vendor. Colt CCU, with better pistol grip, better handguard, “better” safety, better stock, better gas system, lighter barrel. - $1088.52 with free shipping plus FFL

https://www.gunbuyer.com/clt-combat-unit-m4-carb-5-56-16-1-mlok-30rd-talo-clt-le6960ccu-c.html

Wow...that’s a great price on the ccu..was just researching that rifle...and that’s a much better rifle over the trooper it seems.

I’ve seen this vendor referenced before, can’t speak to their service:

Colt 6920-R Trooper - $819 plus shipping plus FFL
https://www.shtftactical.com/products/rifles-colt-le6920-r-098289020604-913

Daniel Defense Fixed Front and Rear Sights
$100-120 anywhere, less in the Equipment Exchange on this site, saw a set recently

Trijicon MRO on lower 1/3 Larue QD mount - $440 plus shipping
https://www.larue.com/products/trijicon-mro-qd-mount-combo/
(Alternative, Sionics has the Aimpoint PRO for $437, which you could get with the light setup referenced below.)

D&H 30 rd magazines - $6.99*10= $69.90 plus shipping
https://palmettostatearmory.com/d-h-5-56-30rd-aluminum-magazine-8416.html

Ready to go.

Bonus material:

Flashlight and mounting system (I don’t know much about lighting, but this vendor is thumbs up and I’d probably buy this setup) - $130 plus $13 shipping
http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/optics-and-lights/212-patrol-rifle-zero.html

Frank Proctor sling - $34 and free shipping if you have Prime (why would you not?)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNMXDHC?m=A3HKF6VPVHSOIK&ref_=v_sp_detail_page

As my two year old would say: “All done.”
Didn’t know a good red dot would be that high...that’s got to be a top of the line red dot right.
Is there one a little cheaper than that but still plenty good I could be looking at.

grizzman
11-13-18, 23:02
Neither the MRO nor the PRO are considered a top of the light RDS. An Aimpoint T2 or M5 would qualify, and they're $750 plus. The PRO is a solid and relatively inexpensive option. A used M3 or ML3 should be worth considering.

I've got a Vortex Crossfire RDS. It hasn't been completely reliable (the dot occasionally goes out when the intensity is changed), but it's not a primary optic, so that's fine for now.

The CCU checks all the right boxes, and I consider it a worthy competitor to a BCM RECCE.

grizzlyblake
11-14-18, 06:14
Best prices I can find right now are $1035 for the CCU and $819 for the Trooper. Figure $80 to add the Magpul furniture on the Trooper and you're essentially looking at $100 difference.

steelcore
11-14-18, 06:35
Do alot of research and decide what you really want in the rifle. Upgrading can get expensive. It's best to get it right the first time. Alot of good suggestions in this thread for you to consider.

JediGuy
11-14-18, 06:56
As mentioned, you do not want to waste money on anything lower quality than the MRO or PRO.
Even these seem to be regarded as “patrol” rather than “war” quality.
Personally, I don’t have any intention of spending money on a PRO unless it is for a super low price. Someone will undoubtedly correct me if I’m wrong, but the PRO is essentially the older CompM3 with lower (though not “low”) quality materials. I bought a used CompM3 and MRO for less than I would have paid for a T-1 with nice mount. I’m not saying the PRO isn’t high quality, because it is. But even there, slight compromises are made.

Summary: Stick with either of those optics unless you are spending more money.

Wow...that’s a great price on the ccu..was just researching that rifle...and that’s a much better rifle over the trooper it seems.

The CCU is undoubtedly “cooler,” as is the BCM. It’s just a matter of what is important to you...and what your budget is. Once you hit $1000 for just the rifle, it starts to get difficult to include any sort of optic for under $1500. If you can forego the red dot for now, the CCU with the other items listed will get you set up REALLY nicely. Only place to go from there are SBR’s or long-range rigs.

grizzlyblake
11-14-18, 07:32
Regarding the optic - you need to do your research and put your hands and eyes on some different options. You may be like a lot of people and find that a typical red dot is blurry or deformed due to your own unique eye structure. In that case there are other options like an EOTech EXPS ($469).

For someone just getting started I tend to recommend a Colt 6720 ($779) since it's already set up with a fixed front sight post and back up rear sight.

Just add a sling and whichever of the entry level serious optics you like and go shooting. (Trijicon MRO, Aimpoint PRO, EOTech EXPS)

OldState
11-14-18, 10:22
The Colt CCU is what I would get if I was in the market for my first AR. Basically a 6920 with a mid length gas system, Amby safety and Centurion rail. Something they should have made years ago.

A cop I know got one for around $900 last year.

indianalex01
11-14-18, 15:58
Regarding the optic - you need to do your research and put your hands and eyes on some different options. You may be like a lot of people and find that a typical red dot is blurry or deformed due to your own unique eye structure. In that case there are other options like an EOTech EXPS ($469).

For someone just getting started I tend to recommend a Colt 6720 ($779) since it's already set up with a fixed front sight post and back up rear sight.

Just add a sling and whichever of the entry level serious optics you like and go shooting. (Trijicon MRO, Aimpoint PRO, EOTech EXPS)

Agreed. The 6720 is a great rifle. Lightweight and solid. I got one for the wife. I also have a 6960 which is another great choice. I have some nice red dots and some middle of the road. For the price the Holosun 510C has been solid. Some may laugh and I not saying it’s better or as good as those already mentioned. I am just saying for the price, it’s been solid. I’ve run it hard and through courses. The rifle I am using in pic is a 6933 FBI profile barrel. The wife is 6720. 5452854529

ExplorinInTheWoods
11-14-18, 17:01
I would snag a CCU, MRO, then get the cloud defensive streamlight combo. Very affordable light and it has great performance. If you really want to get the most out of your rifle, get a surefire warcomp and wait for a sale on triggers either geissele or cmc.

indianalex01
11-14-18, 17:09
I would snag a CCU, MRO, then get the cloud defensive streamlight combo. Very affordable light and it has great performance. If you really want to get the most out of your rifle, get a surefire warcomp and wait for a sale on triggers either geissele or cmc.
Does a warcomp make that much of a difference compared to birdcage?

ABNAK
11-14-18, 18:19

November 2. It will be at my FFL next Monday.

Magnoliabreeze
11-14-18, 21:07
https://midstatefirearms.com/PREMIUM-Rifle-Build-Kit-3lb-Trigger-with-Slim-Rail-NiBo-BCG-premiumrbk.htm Talking to a friend and he recommended me to call mid state firearms. They are local to me and I talk to them. They sent me this link to look over. What do you guys think? Not sure what options I should go with.

Told him I was about to order the colt CCU at about $1100 and he said he could beat that price with a better rifle.

Can I get some suggestions on some of the options from you guys. Definitely want a mid length with a 1/7 twist....thx

Just trying to decide which options I need to make the rifle as reliable and durable as possible..not worried about engravings and such.

Called gunbuyer today to touch base about the colt CCU and said that is their permanent price at $1088. Great price and still considering that route. Just want to give these local guys a chance. Going to there shop Saturday to talk with them.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-14-18, 22:03
https://midstatefirearms.com/PREMIUM-Rifle-Build-Kit-3lb-Trigger-with-Slim-Rail-NiBo-BCG-premiumrbk.htm Talking to a friend and he recommended me to call mid state firearms. They are local to me and I talk to them. They sent me this link to look over. What do you guys think? Not sure what options I should go with.

Told him I was about to order the colt CCU at about $1100 and he said he could beat that price with a better rifle.

Can I get some suggestions on some of the options from you guys. Definitely want a mid length with a 1/7 twist....thx

Just trying to decide which options I need to make the rifle as reliable and durable as possible..not worried about engravings and such.

Called gunbuyer today to touch base about the colt CCU and said that is their permanent price at $1088. Great price and still considering that route. Just want to give these local guys a chance. Going to there shop Saturday to talk with them.

He's full of shit. That's not a better rifle.

everready73
11-14-18, 22:05

Don't touch a rifle from them. Go with the Colt. The guy cannot get you a better rifle for cheaper. Might as well go with a PSA if you are going to consider them.

The only decent part in that whole kit is the Velocity trigger. They don't even list specs on whether barrel/bolt are hpt/mpi and if there RE is 7075 etc. I wouldn't even waste your time going down there unless they can sell you Colt, bcm, etc. Your intial choices are significantly better and proven

Magnoliabreeze
11-14-18, 22:14
Really guys..even with the best options. Ok, I guess that’s what I wanted to find out. Buying a complete rifle from a reputable manufacturer is still the better choice?

JediGuy
11-14-18, 22:33
I’m selective about spending money. I buy half my stuff used. My first AR was a PSA blem lower with a quality upper. But I wouldn’t touch their rifle; there’s no point. Go with the known quantities, whether that means buying a complete Colt/BCM or building your own.
If you want to save a few bucks now, go with the 6920-R instead of the CCU. You know you have a reputable product and will be supported if there is a problem.

Really... The prices right now on complete, quality rifles are incredible.

bulldozer3
11-14-18, 22:49

Called gunbuyer today to touch base about the colt CCU and said that is their permanent price at $1088. Great price and still considering that route. Just want to give these local guys a chance. Going to there shop Saturday to talk with them.Dont listen to anything he says about firearms from this point forward

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-14-18, 22:50
Really guys..even with the best options. Ok, I guess that’s what I wanted to find out. Buying a complete rifle from a reputable manufacturer is still the better choice?

Yes, really. You can build a better rifle, you can build a cheaper rifle, but you can't build a better rifle cheaper. I've never even heard of the company in your link and him telling you his rifle is better than the CCU is pure snake oil.

Tigereye
11-15-18, 05:55

You are getting a lot of great advice but none of it is coming from your friend or local shop. If you are around Clinton, I live on the other side of AL near Ft. Benning. Several years ago one of my friends asked me about his first AR. I gave him similar advice to what you are receiving and encouraged him to go on this site for research. He "saved money with a better rifle" from an "expert" who built him a better rifle. The "better rifle" was the heaviest and least accurate AR I have ever seen. The "expert" also installed a fake Aimpoint and fake KAC back ups. At least my buddy got the money back on those after they failed. By the way, my buddy spent about $600 more than if he had bought the Colt, BCM, or DD that I was recommending. In 2016, he asked me again months before the election. He now owns a BCM and couldn't be happier (I don't think Colt prices were as good then). He won't even sell the rifle the "expert" built for him because he doesn't want to pass along a POS.
If you are ever close to my area, I'll let you test drive a couple of the rifles that have been recommended. If you go to the local shop and leave without buying one of their better cheaper rifles, I'll be impressed. Your friend needs to join this site and read a while. Good luck

MWAG19919
11-15-18, 07:00
A couple guys have recommended buying a complete lower and upper separately, or even a stripped upper and BCG separately as well. I went this route with my first rifle and could not be happier with it. Complete BCM lower and 16" BCM ELW upper. You save money because the 11% excise tax on complete rifles is not applied, and if you've owned an AR in the past I have no doubt you can put the two halves together.

Just something to consider.

everready73
11-15-18, 07:32
A couple guys have recommended buying a complete lower and upper separately, or even a stripped upper and BCG separately as well. I went this route with my first rifle and could not be happier with it. Complete BCM lower and 16" BCM ELW upper. You save money because the 11% excise tax on complete rifles is not applied, and if you've owned an AR in the past I have no doubt you can put the two halves together.

Just something to consider.

Yea if you wanted to save a few bucks do the upper and lower separate. Brownells has been running really good sales on the CCU uppers and after you add their coupon codes you can make out pretty good. Hit up Grant for a BCM lower or go with the Sionics complette or gutless lower and you basically have the same rifle quality wise for $800ish depending on sales

JediGuy
11-15-18, 08:08
If you go the route described above, here’s a snapshot of what it could look like.

$550 Colt CCU Upper on sale/coupon code at Brownells. I got mine for $491, and a recent code would have been $530. But for example.

$125 Colt or Centurion BCG

$375 Sionics lower with same stock, equal pistol grip, same ambi safety, but a couple bonus items like QD end plate, smoother trigger, and better buffer spring.

Plus you still need a charging handle.

You won’t really save money right now, and your gun won’t “match” if you try to sell it at some point. This is what I did, it may have been worth it then but isn’t at this moment in gun sales time.

26 Inf
11-15-18, 13:33
Magnoliabreeze:

My friend, we have been all over the place with the advice you’ve asked for and received. As you have found out there are a lot of choices and variations of those choices out there.

You have never really let us know what you want the rifle for, other than to have one. Are you thinking home defense, range toy/plinking, hunting, or maybe entry into a shooting sport? Primary and secondary uses should play a major role in the choice you make.

In your initial post you said you were looking at the Colt le6920 or bcm mid-16 mod 0 and that all you wanted to add is a red dot. Neither of those is necessarily a bad choice, if they fit your perceived need/use.

One consideration should be that they both have fixed sights, and you want add a red dot. Once again, neither are necessarily a bad choice if you want to add a red dot, but with a fixed front sight base (FSB), you will always have some portion of the FSB visible in your field of view. Were you aware of that? Do you think that dovetails with your perceived use, or would it interfere? My personal preference is that I not have a fixed sight base intruding into the view through the tube, so I generally run either no backup iron sights (BUIS) or flip ups. Your view may vary, but again, it is something to think of.

As far as the two choices you mentioned, I would go with the BCM simply because it is a mid-length, therefore it is going to be smoother (in most cases) AND I get at least an additional two inches of reach over the carbine. This means a lot to me based on my size and the way I shoot. It may not to you, but, as I’ve said, it is a consideration.

From there the conversation morphed into railed rifles and uppers. Personally, this is where I would start, since I don’t like FSB’s, and hate the look of the M4 with 7-8 inches of barrel sticking out the short carbine handguards. Once again, that is me, obviously a lot of people feel differently. Rails allow you to more readily attach accessories such as vertical foregrips (VFG’s), slings, lights and sights. Additionally, the various lengths allow you to really stretch out your stance and determine how much barrel you want showing – I’m more of a Mannlicher kind of guy in this respect.

The Colt Trooper is a solid choice for the price, it has a carbine gas system, but that isn’t a deal breaker, it will work fine and can be tuned, if necessary, with buffers and/or springs. It comes with standard M4 furniture, which I would change out, but you might choose not to.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/40019

The Colt CCU is also a solid choice for the price, it is a mid-length, has an ambi safety and Magpul MOE furniture.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/719014177/Firearms/Rifles/Colt/Colt+Combat+Unit+M4+5.56+16in+30%2B1

If price was the driver at this point, I’d go with the Trooper, it is going to be a couple hundred cheaper and you can add a different stock, pistol grip, and ambi-safety later.

As far as optics go, once again, there are a lot of choices out there. Why do you want a red dot? Have you ever shot a low powered variable optic (LPVO)? How about an etched reticle prisim optic? These are all choices that should be based on your perceived use for the rifle.

I have an Aimpoint PRO on my SBR – it stays in the bedroom safe for use as a home defense weapon. I shoot it a couple times a year to ensure function, the PRO stays on with the front cap down – I change the battery when I change smoke and gas detector batteries – spring forward and fall back. Been doing this for four or five years.

Because I’m an old fart and red dots kind of blossom for old guys, I have either etched reticle prisims or scopes on everything else. In prisims, I like the Vortex Spitfire 1X and Burris AR 332 (it is a 3X – I use it up close with the front cover down). I have a Burris AR 1x but that reticle is too busy for me.

Bottom line is, you need to have an idea of what you want to do with the rifle and what you want the rifle to do as far as performance. You might need to research more, or better yet find a range and borrow rifles.

Good luck.

everready73
11-15-18, 19:09
If you go the route described above, here’s a snapshot of what it could look like.

$550 Colt CCU Upper on sale/coupon code at Brownells. I got mine for $491, and a recent code would have been $530. But for example.

$125 Colt or Centurion BCG

$375 Sionics lower with same stock, equal pistol grip, same ambi safety, but a couple bonus items like QD end plate, smoother trigger, and better buffer spring.

Plus you still need a charging handle.

You won’t really save money right now, and your gun won’t “match” if you try to sell it at some point. This is what I did, it may have been worth it then but isn’t at this moment in gun sales time.

If you go with the Sionics gutless blem lower for $120 option you could throw in a Larue MBT trigger and other parts needed for $300 or less and have a really nice lower

Magnoliabreeze
11-15-18, 20:28
Thx for all the advice.. I’m getting one for the range and also I take out to my mother in laws when we visit her. She lives way out in the sticks and I go shooting with my brother in law. He has one also. I want it for home defense although I have a couple of pistols too, sig p320 carry and a glock 19 gen 5. I love shooting these guns and and want to get a higher quality AR than the psa I had.

After all considerations, gonna do colt and deciding between the trooper and the CCU.

Patrol rifle 3E...reading good thing about sionics and that rifle is within the budget..should I also consider that one?

grizzman
11-15-18, 20:32
Patrol rifle 3E...reading good thing about sionics and that rifle is within the budget..should I also consider that one?

Absolutely.

As you likely know, it's very similar to the LE6960. One difference that may matter to you is that the Sionics receiver extension allows for six adjustments, while the Colt will come with the standard 4 position one. My Colt lower that uses a traditional receiver extension still has the factory one, and it works fine for me.

The Sionics Enhanced trigger might be better than a factory Colt trigger, but it might not. My Trooper came with the best standard trigger I've ever used. LaRue's MBT is still on sale, and I highly recommend them. I ordered a couple more a couple days ago, and they'll go into Colt lowers.

magister
11-15-18, 20:58
After all considerations, gonna do colt and deciding between the trooper and the CCU.

Both are well made, dependable, bet the farm quality carbines. For $1,500 I’d snag the Trooper, an Aimpoint Pro, a set of mbus sights, a proctor sling, and Surefire G2X tactical. Done. Well, done except for mags and ammo.

26 Inf
11-16-18, 01:06

Yes, I've been very happy with the Sionic's stuff I've purchased (barrels and lowers)

Also, in about that price range is another BCM rifle, the 16" Recce.

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/bravo-company/750-790-bcm-recce-16-kmr-carbine-5-56mm/

Magnoliabreeze
11-16-18, 07:34
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-Law-Enforcement-M4-Carbine-p/le6920.htm
Going with this I have decided...great price

everready73
11-16-18, 07:40
Good choice lol. After all that you went with the default gun everyone should start with anyway

magister
11-16-18, 08:20
Solid carbine, OP.

grizzlyblake
11-16-18, 08:26
That's definitely the easy button. Plus you don't have to worry about all the fashion trends in regards to rails, attachment systems, etc. ;)

JediGuy
11-16-18, 09:03
Great choice. You can’t go wrong with that.

grizzman
11-16-18, 13:53
The LE6920 is certainly a valid choice. I grabbed an FDE Cerakoted one from Arms Unlimited a couple months ago, and it was a smooth transaction.

I replaced the handguard with a Magpul MOE-SL (to help keep my fingers off the FSB/gas block) and snagged an STR from Buds for less than $40 (I really don't like standard M4 stocks).

Magnoliabreeze
11-16-18, 18:59

Check this morning and has gone up $100..

Was probably going with CCU, but after the price increase I decided the 6920. Really wanted some flip up sights because I could be awhile getting a good red dot.

JediGuy
11-16-18, 20:11
Magnolia, you you’re getting a great gun that you’ll never need to change, or that you can drop different uppers on if you so choose. As reference for any future purposes, gun.deals is a great site to search for specific items. The Wikiarms price list is very useful.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/Colt%20CCU

Magnoliabreeze
11-16-18, 20:33
Magnolia, you you’re getting a great gun that you’ll never need to change, or that you can drop different uppers on if you so choose. As reference for any future purposes, gun.deals is a great site to search for specific items. The Wikiarms price list is very useful.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/Colt%20CCU
Oh wow...love this site...found a CCU for $1035...geezzz, might have to rethink this.
Might wait til Black Friday for some really good deals til I pull the trigger.
Thx jedi

Animalhd1
11-16-18, 22:00
Everything I’ve read here says you would be best served with the basic 6920. The basic 6920/M4 set up has everything you need and nothing you don’t. Don’t get hung up on Carbine vs Mid length, it won’t matter. Colt knows how to build a Carbine gas system, they’ve built a few. Get familiar with it and shoot it, a lot. You can always get something else with rails and such down the road if you want. I’ll never part with my first basic 6920 and I have total confidence that gun will always go bang.

grizzman
11-16-18, 22:06
If I were to suggest a 6960 over a 6920, the gas system wouldn't be included in the reasons.

Wake27
11-16-18, 22:40
There’s no reason not to get a middy gas system though. It’s literally a step up in evolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediGuy
11-16-18, 23:05
Magnolia, I only shared that as a future reference, not to get you to reconsider. They’re both fine choices, as is the AR6720 and LE6920-R Trooper that were mentioned.
Buy the less expensive option, learn with the same weapon (sans burst and 1.5” of barrel) that our troops use, and buy a CCU upper for $500 in two years if you want to move on to a nice handguard and midlength gas (assuming the world doesn’t end). It’s easy to get stuck in choosing the perfect option, but there is none; there is just different. I buy more stuff than I shoot, because I don’t have anywhere besides a 25 yd indoor range to shoot. If you have the option to actually go out and use your stuff, spend more of your money on ammo with a basic setup, so that when you do “upgrade,” you can notice the improvement.

That said, the CCU is really nice.

'Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill.' Basically, we can’t tell you what to buy. We’ve just presented several very good options.

Magnoliabreeze
11-17-18, 08:21
Magnolia, I only shared that as a future reference, not to get you to reconsider. They’re both fine choices, as is the AR6720 and LE6920-R Trooper that were mentioned.
Buy the less expensive option, learn with the same weapon (sans burst and 1.5” of barrel) that our troops use, and buy a CCU upper for $500 in two years if you want to move on to a nice handguard and midlength gas (assuming the world doesn’t end). It’s easy to get stuck in choosing the perfect option, but there is none; there is just different. I buy more stuff than I shoot, because I don’t have anywhere besides a 25 yd indoor range to shoot. If you have the option to actually go out and use your stuff, spend more of your money on ammo with a basic setup, so that when you do “upgrade,” you can notice the improvement.

That said, the CCU is really nice.

'Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill.' Basically, we can’t tell you what to buy. We’ve just presented several very good options.
It looks like it’s about a $200 difference between a le6920 and a CCU. Gonna wait til after Black Friday before I order something. Right now, leaning towards spending the extra $200 for the CCU. Gonna have to get some iron sights though til I can save back up for a nice red dot if I go that route.

grizzlyblake
11-17-18, 09:53
What is your experience with ARs? As in, have you handled different setups with standard carbine handguards / FSBs, as well as the newer longer railed guns?

I know it sounds crazy but to me they handle entirely different. Caveat - my railed gun experience is a 6920 Trooper with a gov't profile barrel, the LW barrels may be different.

My 6720 feels much lighter, smaller, and compact because the weight sits right between your hands. It's absolutely quicker handling to me inside a house or whatever.

My Trooper feels much more front heavy and more like a traditional rifle in my hands. It's not a bad thing, just different, and feels more at home with a magnified optic on it.

So, for me the 6720/6920 with a red dot is great for a home defense close range night time gun while the Trooper or CCU with a low power optic is great for normal rifle type stuff.

Magnoliabreeze
11-17-18, 12:10
What is your experience with ARs? As in, have you handled different setups with standard carbine handguards / FSBs, as well as the newer longer railed guns?

I know it sounds crazy but to me they handle entirely different. Caveat - my railed gun experience is a 6920 Trooper with a gov't profile barrel, the LW barrels may be different.

My 6720 feels much lighter, smaller, and compact because the weight sits right between your hands. It's absolutely quicker handling to me inside a house or whatever.

My Trooper feels much more front heavy and more like a traditional rifle in my hands. It's not a bad thing, just different, and feels more at home with a magnified optic on it.

So, for me the 6720/6920 with a red dot is great for a home defense close range night time gun while the Trooper or CCU with a low power optic is great for normal rifle type stuff.
Thanks for that...great info. Just got back from academy sports and handled a 6920 and it felt great and easy to handle. They didn’t have a CCU. Would like to handle one before I decide. Gonna call around the local gun shops and see if anybody has one.

Send it...
11-17-18, 13:49
I have a 6920, 6720 and CCU.

Really like them all. But the CCU is in the truck daily now. Just shot a buck and a bobcat with it the other day. Super nice balance to it...

opngrnd
11-17-18, 14:02
If I were trying to get the absolute most bang for my buck on two or three rifles at once, I'd be looking at 6920s. If I were trying to do the best I could for the purchase of a single rifle of your options, I'd buy the CCU. Its honestly a win-win situation, and once you make a purchase, it will hardly matter what direction you went. Buy ammo, mags, the appropriate optic and dont look back. I own a version of each and both rifles do the job well.

Magnoliabreeze
11-17-18, 15:59
If I were trying to get the absolute most bang for my buck on two or three rifles at once, I'd be looking at 6920s. If I were trying to do the best I could for the purchase of a single rifle of your options, I'd buy the CCU. Its honestly a win-win situation, and once you make a purchase, it will hardly matter what direction you went. Buy ammo, mags, the appropriate optic and dont look back. I own a version of each and both rifles do the job well.i will probably just get this 1 rifle and be done with it. Might save a little while longer and get the bcm mid 16 mod 2. I really want the iron flip up sights on the purchase of the rifle. Still got time to make a decision for I plan on waiting til after thanksgiving.

ST911
11-17-18, 17:13
i will probably just get this 1 rifle and be done with it. Might save a little while longer and get the bcm mid 16 mod 2. I really want the iron flip up sights on the purchase of the rifle. Still got time to make a decision for I plan on waiting til after thanksgiving.

Sounds good. Let a moderator know when you've actually acted on any of the advice you've received in this 8-page thread, and it will be reopened.