PDA

View Full Version : How many magazines?

Uni-Vibe
11-13-18, 23:36
Let's say you have a double-stack carry pistol. How many magazines do you need to stockpile for it? Any consensus out there?

ClangClang
11-14-18, 00:22
Absolute minimum of five. 2 for carry, 2 for training, and 1 spare. Around 10 is better number to "stockpile." Keep in mind mags are consumables and are intended to wear out and be disposed after enough use.

Circle_10
11-14-18, 00:22
I personally like to have at least five, but more is obviously better and you really can't have too many.

I'm into the double digits with Glock and HK magazines.

26 Inf
11-14-18, 00:47
Let's say you have a double-stack carry pistol. How many magazines do you need to stockpile for it? Any consensus out there?

I think you need a minimum of five mags for any pistol you own, single or double-stack. This gets a little pricey if you have numerous pistols that take different magazines. But I feel it is the minimum.

Beyond that, I think it depends on what you are doing with your pistols as far as shooting.

Mags are disposable, I replace them as need be, if I felt that a ban/shortage was imminent I would stockpile mags for the pistols I would envision being used most.

I have over a hundred AR mags, quite frankly, I feel a little silly admitting that.

Bodhi
11-14-18, 01:09
At least 5. I have 7-10 M&P mags though.

Arik
11-14-18, 07:29
This is like asking how much ammo do you need to carry? Statistically a Derringer will be plenty.

You only NEED one to be in the gun if you want more than a single shot!

However, mags are disposable. Buy however many you want

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
11-14-18, 08:50
Any handgun I own has 6 OEM magazine for it as soon as it's purchased.

After that, I bump it up to 12 if it's more than the rare range toy or 22LR.

For Glock 17/19 magazines, there is simply is no limit. I buy them whenever I am ordering something and have a spare $20 to add one in.

RHINOWSO
11-14-18, 08:51
I have over a hundred AR mags, quite frankly, I feel a little silly admitting that.

Nothing silly about that.

Arik
11-14-18, 08:55
I buy mags for any service gun even if just a range toy. My Walther P1 I'm fine with 1 or 2 but anything more or less current that was/is a service gun I just buy mags. No limit sometimes I'll just buy one mag for a few different guns, other times I'll buy a bunch for one gun. Just depends on price and what I feel like that day

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

P2Vaircrewman
11-14-18, 09:07
! have 2 OEM Glock magazines dedicated to daily carry and 13 OEM and Magpul for range use which allows me to have a 200 round session without have to reload at the range.

MegademiC
11-14-18, 09:12
All depends how much you shoot and treat your equipment, and what you do with it.
3 for carry
4 for competition

How many mags do you carry? Do you compete? What is the purpose of the handgun? All factors.

GNXII
11-14-18, 09:29
Usually 10-15 mags for all handguns. All are tested, numbered and intialled. My rule of thumb is if a mag goes bad for whatever reason, its get crushed,shit canned then replaced with 2 new mags. As mentioned above, mags are the weakest link on a semiauto and are expendable. Rifles get about 15-20 for the same reasons. Certain guns,like 1911s, are particular with a certain manufacturers magazines. Testing a few samples of new non-OEM mags before buying a bunch them always helps from sinking alot money with zero return! I had issues when using Wilsons in a Colt 1990 era 1911. Same mags fed fine in S&W and a Springfield, go figure! Mags & Ammo...buy 'em cheap & stack'em deep!

OldState
11-14-18, 10:06
I used to shoot IDPA and when I started I was always advised 3 bare minimum, 5 good, 7 ideal. When I moved from 1911s to M&P Bothach had a crazy sale on factory mags. I bought enough to have 9 for each competition/training gun. I have 5 for my carry piece.

I have stockpiled AR mags just in case....

The_War_Wagon
11-14-18, 11:09

If Pe-LOUSY gets her way, you'll wish you had more. I know I have over 300, and while I haven't bought any in months, I wouldn't turn any down if they came my way either.

whatthepuck
11-14-18, 12:38
5-6 is a good minimum, 10 per pistol is better.

ST911
11-14-18, 14:17
the quantity to use for the guns purpose, i.e. duty, CCW, competition
the same quantity to use for training, practice, dedicated wear-and-tear
the same quantity in storage to replace those expended in purpose 1 or 2

Mozart
11-14-18, 14:42
I’d recommend 6-9 OEM mags, and then maybe 10-15 cheaper aftermarket. For example, I have 6 Glock OEM for carry rotation, 12 Magpul GL9 of various sizes, and 1 ETS 15rd just to check it out.

If the question revolves around storing for a ban situation, that’ll be plenty. Buy some replacement springs for a ban situation where you’re grandfathered in, in case they outlaw “parts kits”.

kerplode
11-14-18, 15:08
I do this:
Standard Capacity of > 10 rds -> Minimum of 15 per firearm instance (5x ARs = 75 mags min)
Standard Capacity of <= 10 rds -> Minimum of 5 per instance

Realistically, though, I procure as many as I reasonably can. I was just getting big into firearms in 1994, though, so that colors my outlook.

Next time they do the AWB, they're gonna make possession of "high-capacity" magazines a felony, so none of this may really matter (depending on your tolerance for being a felon)

ndmiller
11-14-18, 16:08
A few extra until you're satisfied the new gun is for you. After that a dozen or so should last a lifetime. I'm still using the OEM G19 15 Rounders that were in the box decades ago...albiet with new springs.

sevin8nin
11-14-18, 18:19
5 has become my minimum for any pistol. The thought process being: 1x in the gun and between 1-2 on the belt for edc carry. If scaling the kit up beyond EDC my belt rig typically holds 2 pistol mags and a chest rig or plate carrier often has 2 more pouches. That's 1x in the gun and up to 4x on the body. Therefore 5. Minimum!

I like to have more than that because I'll often keep 3 loaded for EDC, and then rotate through the others for training, which could be up to 5. If it's a class it's really nice to have like 10 mags preloaded so you're not spending as much time loading mags.

Ron3
11-15-18, 09:21
Pretty much what others have said.

5 bare minimum.

Carry/stash mags kept with carry ammo and fired occasionally for function and kept clean.

5 more for training/dumping on ground etc.

5 more kept new to replace mags that may get lost, damaged, or worn.

So 15 for me just starts to get comfotable. If your concerned about inheritance, discontinued production, law restrictions, trade fodder and/or profit after law restrictions, you'll want more than that.

ramairthree
11-15-18, 09:25
Nothing silly about that.

If you have one or two ARS, it sounds reasonable.

If that’s only like three mags per AR, that’s pretty light.

Pappabear
11-15-18, 09:27
like many others, I buy mags here and there and have large boxes of mags stored. I just bought 10 last week for no good reason other than back up and I dig it.

I go with 5 min on handguns like many others

PB

Pacific5th
11-15-18, 11:03
5-10. Depends on the gun, I only have a three for my G43 or XDs but my full size I keep more.

CWM11B
11-15-18, 12:29
As many as you can afford and are willing to store. The AWB has made me a horder of sorts when it comes to mags. I buy them when they have crazy good sales and stow them in bins for tough times.

OldState
11-15-18, 12:31
For AR mags I bought a few 10 packs since the last panic when they got real cheap. My wife asked why I had so many and I reminded her the time I showed her them going for $80 on the internet. Told her they could be our retirement mags!:p

jack crab
11-15-18, 15:44
For those of us that shiver at the mention of "1994," there is no end point. Keep adding here and there as things go on sale, funds are available, etc.

titsonritz
11-15-18, 16:30
No such thing as too many magazines or too much ammo. I probably have about 50+ Glock mags.

markm
11-15-18, 17:03
I really only have one carry type pistol. My G22. I keep like 10 full cap mags. But if I get a wild hair and buy another format pistol, I like to have a set of 6 full cap mags... 3 carry, and 3 spare.

I shoot pistol so rarely, that a bunch of mags doesn't make sense for me.

CCK
11-15-18, 17:03
I have 10 full capacity mags and a few 10 rounders because they make me reload more when at a class.

Uni-Vibe
11-15-18, 17:10
Now I do have a pile of AR mags. During the Ban I was buying used prebans for $20 each. When the Ban expired in '04, I sold those to people in states that kept their own state bans for $20 each. The I turned around and bought almost 3 Okays brand new with that $20.

Sounds like I need to pick up a few more for the carry gun.

markm
11-15-18, 18:01
Now I do have a pile of AR mags.

A good pile of Rifle mags is logical. But I quit buying those, since I never wear them out... or wear them out at such a slow attrition, they make no sense to buy.