PDA

View Full Version : "Save a Case" Program?

gaijin
11-14-18, 06:48
Our city has received a $500K+ Federal grant for the purpose of registering fired cases to their respective guns/owners.

The cover story is; "this will better help in matching STOLEN guns to crimes, while enabling us to return these guns to their owners".

Call me cynical; I will rot in HELL before I bring fired cases from my firearms to the authorities.
I can picture walking into the Police Station with a pillow case full of fired cases....... Right.

Curious what your thoughts are.

wigbones
11-14-18, 07:02
Sounds like they are trying to disguise a gun registration program.

gaijin
11-14-18, 07:04
Yep. My thoughts as well.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-14-18, 07:44
Aw hell naw.

flenna
11-14-18, 07:48
:lol::lol: Yeah, and let me also give you a DNA sample while I am there.

TommyG
11-14-18, 07:49
Voluntary or mandatory?

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-14-18, 08:08
:lol::lol: Yeah, and let me also give you a DNA sample while I am there.

This is my rifle, this is my gun....

Of course, then you have to tell them that you have either sold had the gun stolen, or else they go breach, boom, bang on your sleeping ass when the shell cases are traced back to your gun.

gaijin
11-14-18, 08:24
Voluntary or mandatory?

Voluntary as of now.

AKDoug
11-14-18, 10:05
While I realized that most guns that are stolen from law abiding citizens are not able to be returned because the original owner failed to keep a record of their serial numbers, I don't see any department actually allotting funding to do forensic tests on firearms to get them back to their owners. Owners need to take responsibility of keeping track of their stuff. In our state, getting a gun back if you have reported it stolen and have the serial number is a fairly efficient process still.

I don't know where the rest of the LEO world is at, but Alaska alone has a backlog of 3,500 rape kits yet to be tested, they aren't popping staff loose to test guns unless it's needed for a felony committed with that gun.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-14-18, 10:26
Wasn't this tried at the state level back East and was eventually stopped because it was too resource intensive and yielded few leads?

26 Inf
11-14-18, 10:37
I don't know where the rest of the LEO world is at, but Alaska alone has a backlog of 3,500 rape kits yet to be tested, they aren't popping staff loose to test guns unless it's needed for a felony committed with that gun.

From what I've read recently that isn't uncommon.

26 Inf
11-14-18, 10:39
Wasn't this tried at the state level back East and was eventually stopped because it was too resource intensive and yielded few leads?

I vaguely remember getting a NIB pistol that had an envelope with a fired case in it, I assumed that was why it was included. Seems to me it was a .22 pistol

The_War_Wagon
11-14-18, 11:00
I think we ALL know what the honey badger does in this case... https://media.giphy.com/media/Ib3p7dp2MEcDu/giphy.gif

SteyrAUG
11-14-18, 15:30
So they are trotting out that ballistic fingerprint nonsense again.

flenna
11-14-18, 15:39
Come on guys. Read it again- it is to help us! It is to help our guns get returned to us when they get stolen. So there will no longer be a need for you to record all those pesky serial numbers, just take some fired cases down to your neighborhood police department.

Wildcat
11-14-18, 18:10
Maryland.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-bullet-casings-20151107-story.html

They could not make it work.

I thought Canada also quit their program but I can't find a ready source.

gaijin
11-14-18, 20:08
The fact that it won’t work never deters politicians/bureaucrats.
The prospect of “free money” always wins out over reality or common sense.

grnamin
11-14-18, 20:41
When I lived in the Philippines, my Dad purchased a .38 snub nose. I remember a cop coming by and firing the gun into a large wad of cotton in order to capture the round for ballistics as part of the registration process.

As martial law was declared, police, military and Philippine Constabulary started confiscating weapons. How did they know who had them? Registration, of course!

Not just no, but hell no!

Wildcat
11-14-18, 21:44
The fact that it won’t work never deters politicians/bureaucrats.
The prospect of “free money” always wins out over reality or common sense.

I suspect that money was the reason Maryland stopped, not because of its (lack of) effectiveness at limiting criminal use of guns. It became too expensive to maintain.
$500k won't go very far.

On a side note, brass in this vicinity is often recycled. I'm sure I have spent cases with H&K tattoos, impressions from an AR bolt -and- an M&P (or Glock) primer smear; all on the same case.

Do they actually return recovered guns to the owners in your area? Some places do not.

SeriousStudent
11-14-18, 23:19
I will be delighted to assist with this noble cause.

Please send me the $500,000. I promise to spend it on new, unfired ammunition, and return the empty cases to your fair city. I'll even pay return shipping, since I'm such a kind and benevolent person.

Lemme see - $200 per case of pistol ammo, $300 per case of carbine chow, $150 for a case of Flite Control buckshot......

That should cover my training budget nicely for at least five years. I promise to send a kind note to both the Federales and your city council thanking them for their largesse.

AndyLate
11-15-18, 06:12
Sounds like a great deal for the city. Put an old filing cabinet in a dusty corner of the basement, assign a well-deserving officer close to retirement to the duty of collecting and "filing" cases for a year and collect $500 K. Repeat annually.

It won't affect crime or help gun owners, but I am sure the city can find a way to spend the money.

Andy

docsherm
11-15-18, 06:59
Our city has received a $500K+ Federal grant for the purpose of registering fired cases to their respective guns/owners.

The cover story is; "this will better help in matching STOLEN guns to crimes, while enabling us to return these guns to their owners".

Call me cynical; I will rot in HELL before I bring fired cases from my firearms to the authorities.
I can picture walking into the Police Station with a pillow case full of fired cases....... Right.

Curious what your thoughts are.

Where is this?

gaijin
11-16-18, 05:56
Sounds like a great deal for the city. Put an old filing cabinet in a dusty corner of the basement, assign a well-deserving officer close to retirement to the duty of collecting and "filing" cases for a year and collect $500 K. Repeat annually.

It won't affect crime or help gun owners, but I am sure the city can find a way to spend the money.

Andy

Precisely what I envision^^.

Wichita, Ks.