PDA

View Full Version : Just assembled first AR15...incredibly hard to pull CH back

28_days
11-01-08, 20:36
AR15 parts:
BCM 16" mid-length upper
BCM BCG
STAG lower receiver w/ STAG lpk

After I finally figured out how to get the CH in (which took way longer than expected, I always thought you could just line it up and push it forward, not look for a small area which it can be pushed down into, etc.), I've run into a fairly large problem. It is REALLY difficult to charge. Everything is very well oiled, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any ideas?

Thanks!

28_days
11-01-08, 21:46
Thanks to CooperM, I think I've figured out the issue. The Stag CH seems to be way out of a spec. I'm opening to get this resolved tomorrow, and will update this thread with the results.

Thanks!

EDIT: my CH measures approximately 10.5mm. On the other hand CooperM was getting 10.1-10.2mm. Would anyone else like to throw a number in?

ZDL
11-01-08, 23:04
Without the BCG does the charging handle slide smoothly? Next, take out the charging handle and just put the BCG in. How does it slide? You said you felt the buffer spring was good resistance but did you remove it and check it over? Those are my humble suggestions. Hope you get it figured out.

lalakai
11-01-08, 23:51
take a close look at the ribs on your CH; do you see any signs of wear or metal brightness? on a completely new build you shouldn't see any; if you do you have at least localized the problem area.

28_days
11-02-08, 01:01
I've essentially narrowed it down to the CH due to it's width. A 1/3 of a MM could definitely be causing my issues. I realized it was out of spec when I asked another member whether or not he had to snap it into place, obviously you shouldn't have too.

The BCG and all of that slide fine. Since the BCM's come test fired, I'm pretty confident it's a CH issue. I should know sometime tomorrow hopefully.

spamsammich
11-02-08, 01:16
Did you try just lining it up and pushing it in at first? If so you could have damaged the charging handle where it flares out to ride in the groove.

SwatDawg15
11-02-08, 01:51
Its gonna be the CH being out of spec im sure. You should know someone that will let you try one of theirs to confirm... but if its still hard with no BCG installed, then that eliminates the buffer, ect.

bkb0000
11-02-08, 02:31
yes.. to summarize what i think everyone is getting at- pop the rifle open, remove the BCG, slide the CH up through its groove and try sliding it back and forth.. if the CH rides normal, obviously it's not the problem. if it wants to stick or you feel any kind of resistance then you know it's the CH.

if it's the CH- take it out and flip it upside down. in the skeletonized underside, is it a perfectly uniform thickness from front to back? perhaps, as it's been suggested, you somehow bent the ****er while trying to install.

what kind of CH is it? where'd you get it?

molsen
11-02-08, 09:44
It sounds like you really need/needed to learn more about the AR weapons system before buying one.

czydj
11-02-08, 10:08
It sounds like you really need/needed to learn more about the AR weapons system before buying one.

What better way is there to learn about milspec than sourcing your own parts and putting an AR together? As long as no one gets hurt, it's all good!

28_days
11-02-08, 10:39

Thanks for the sarcasm, highly appreciated!

The build went 100% perfect, I don't manufacturer charging handles in my basement. How often do you hear about one that's out of spec? Ever seen one? Hell, can't say I've come across any such issues in the thousands of posts and hundred or so hours I've spent researching AR15s.

The thickness on the CH is approximately 10.5mm across at the thin part, 12.5mm at the flares. In the beginning I totally forgot that it "slips in" so to speak, but I never pushed with any force at all, I was aware I was being an idiot and missing something (it had been a very long day--working on a house).

Long story short, the CH cannot move back and forth without tremendous effort. No wear can be seen, but that's probably due to good lubrication and that I've only tried a few times (if it didn't work the first time, why would it change). I can't notice anything with the naked idea, but used a generic caliper to measure one.

Long story short: will someone please measure their charging handle with a caliper? Both the "thin" part and the "flares"?

Thanks! :)

czydj
11-02-08, 15:02
12mm at the nubs and 9.9mm -10mm above and below them...

Copis
11-02-08, 18:57
When you forced the CH in, maybe you bent the "ears" downward and now they drag? just a thought......

28_days
11-02-08, 19:45
12mm at the nubs and 9.9mm -10mm above and below them...

Thank you.

Just to reiterate, I never forced anything in at all. I was very gentle. It appears the CH is definitely the culprit, I'll have to exchange it for a new one this week. Thanks all!

CooperM
11-02-08, 19:48
It looks like the CH is bad after the other measurements were taken.

Did you get the pics?

mark

28_days
11-02-08, 19:56
Hi Mark,

Sadly I was unable to get a hold of a local friend who has an AR. I think I'm going to go ahead and let the vendor I purchase it through know, and just do a straight exchange. This time I'll ask him to measure it before he sends it! Thanks again for your help! :D

monkyboy
11-02-08, 20:15
What would be considered the better charging handle, CMT or LMT? The CMT is advertised as being "heavier & stronger". I am also in need of a new CH having bent mine removing a stuck round (reload).

22_Shooter
11-03-08, 05:42
What better way is there to learn about milspec than sourcing your own parts and putting an AR together? As long as no one gets hurt, it's all good!

Agreed. You can only learn so much from just reading.

Copis
11-04-08, 17:49
update?

DocMinster
11-04-08, 19:23
AR15 parts:
BCM 16" mid-length upper
BCM BCG
STAG lower receiver w/ STAG lpk

After I finally figured out how to get the CH in (which took way longer than expected, I always thought you could just line it up and push it forward, not look for a small area which it can be pushed down into, etc.), I've run into a fairly large problem. It is REALLY difficult to charge. Everything is very well oiled, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I hope things work out for you...Just a little advice find someone who in familiar with the M16/AR platform to go over the weapon.
be safe ...have fun!! ;)

28_days
11-04-08, 22:30
update?

No update at the moment. The rifle is ready to go, but I have to wait on a replacement CH. After that arrives I can break it in! :D

canucklehead
11-04-08, 23:42
I had a similar problem with my first build... essentially, I just put a little lapping compound on the CH, and ran in back and forth in the upper until it fit perfect. I'm too lazy to buy a new handle. :)

It slides slicker than snot now...