PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here sold their brass for scrap?

kaltesherz
11-14-18, 20:34
I've been collecting my brass for almost 10 years in hopes I'd eventually reload, and have never gotten around to it. Has anyone sold their brass for scrap lately? How much did you get per pound? Any tips?

ALCOAR
11-14-18, 20:41
I too have been collecting my brass now for about a decade in hopes of learning how to reload.

At this point, I'm not sure I would ever reload the amount of brass I have now. I also wonder if certain brands are worth selling separately from an entire lot of brass outside of the obvious Lapua.

markm
11-14-18, 20:56
I've sold brass 4 or 5 times. I usually won't deal with the hassle unless I have at least 2 full 5 gallon buckets. Most of the small, shady scrap buyers will screw you. I go to a major scrap yard that's in the shitty part of town. Price is tied to the copper prices I think. My last price was around 1.85 per pound. I watch the copper historical charts when I'm nearing a sell to make sure it's a good time. If copper is down below $3.00 or so, I wait.

Pappabear
11-19-18, 19:05
We have about a 5 gallon bucket sitting at the hide that we are too lazy to take home. We sell it and hire dancers for the next week. Valuable !!

PB

ALCOAR
11-19-18, 19:11
We have about a 5 gallon bucket sitting at the hide that we are too lazy to take home. We sell it and hire dancers for the next week. Valuable !!

PB

Cool, I'll just save my brass for when I take my road trip to see the west, and you guys...…. I'm not much for shooting, but I sure do love Arizona dancers :p

kaltesherz
11-19-18, 19:15
Ended up getting $1.55 / lb, made a cool $360. They were really easy to deal with, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again (aside from the PITA of hauling it to my car).

ALCOAR
11-19-18, 19:39
That's a nice haul. Definitely worth the effort. Appreciate the data point as well.

Uni-Vibe
11-19-18, 22:16
Pluck out the 10mm, and I'll pay more than the scrap man.

steyrman13
11-19-18, 23:36
Pluck out the 10mm, and I'll pay more than the scrap man.I will look and see how much I have but I know I have almost 200 lbs of mixed 9mm,10mm,40,45,357

markm
11-20-18, 09:53
Pluck out the 10mm, and I'll pay more than the scrap man.

I always pluck the 10 millie. Some fool at our hide left like 50 pieces on the ground.

nate89
11-20-18, 12:50
I've sold brass to a local scrap yard a few times. I have a container that I put all the brass with loose primer pockets, split necks, etc. When I get enough to justify a trip I'll drop it off. Prices are usually around $1.35 or so around here.

mark5pt56
11-22-18, 06:40
I would keep it separated and sell to reloaders the desirable brass, run of the mill stuff for scrap when prices are high or if you intend to reload, keep some for yourself. When shooting, ask the neighbors if they keep their brass and volunteer to pick it up if they approve.

markm
11-22-18, 12:51
When shooting, ask the neighbors if they keep their brass and volunteer to pick it up if they approve.

We found that standing with a bucket to catch brass ejecting from shooters' rifles was a little presumptuous. :lol:

Just kidding... I love to see the look on their faces if I did that though.

PatEgan
11-22-18, 14:57
I've done it for years.
Aside from reloading 9mm and 5.56 for quantity shooting, I also load a number of older, military surplus calibers. Invariably I shoot some of that stuff that's Berdan primed, which I don't/won't reload. Combining those with .22LR brass will get you to filling 5 gallon buckets over time.

It's always classified as 'Clean, Yellow Brass' by the scrap yards, and watching the prices as suggested by other members is always a good idea.