PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Question

eternal24k
11-01-08, 20:39
While I wait for my stamp, I was wondering If I could legally assemble it (when I get my stamp) before I engrave it, or If I had to have it engraved before.

CarlosDJackal
11-01-08, 23:44
In the case of Orion Arms Engraving, they need to receive the lower stripped. Otherwise, it depends on the engravers.

eternal24k
11-01-08, 23:47
Oh, I am sorry, I should have worded my question better, in this case it is a Sig 556 Pistol, and I was wondering if it would be legal to attach the stock (when I got the stamp) before engraving. I only ask because I asked a poster where they did the engraving and he told me it was not engraved yet.

LonghunterCO
11-03-08, 12:28
I am not sure how that would work. The NFA item needs to be in your control, which it will not as it is shipped across the country in a UPS truck. On the other hand how does NFA items get to Gun Smiths to have then worked on? That is a good question.

markm
11-03-08, 12:39
If you build it prior to engraving, you better get your dog some Kevlar! :p

eternal24k
11-03-08, 19:31
Thought so. Now i just have to decide whether I feel safe with spending money on an engraving before I have the stamp in hand.

LonghunterCO
11-03-08, 20:40
NFA items are not a poor man's toy. If you are going to use Orion Arms email him tell him your firearm and ask what is the cheapest NFA engraving you can get away with. Three lines are $60 (plus UPS shipping to Orion) on an AR maybe you can get away with a single line along a 556 and it will be less.

markm
11-03-08, 21:11
Thought so.

I was just joking. The only people who care about your engraving are internut geeks who get all assed up over little nonsense.

Engrave it as soon as you get a chance.

Renegade
11-03-08, 21:25
The correct order is to Engrave, File Form1, Build your SBR.

Renegade
11-03-08, 21:27
I am not sure how that would work. The NFA item needs to be in your control, which it will not as it is shipped across the country in a UPS truck. On the other hand how does NFA items get to Gun Smiths to have then worked on? That is a good question.

An FFL can gunsmith any firearm.

eternal24k
11-03-08, 21:55
The correct order is to Engrave, File Form1, Build your SBR.

yeah... This being my first time I have a hard time doing anything permanent before knowing if they are going to send me back a stamp.

SuicideHz
11-15-08, 20:11
It's definitely no big deal to engrave your name on the firearm before you send your form out- most people don't.

Technically as soon as your form is approved and stamped, your firearm is an NFA item and by law, must be engraved whether you've received the form back yet or not. Definitely should be before you put it together.

When I did my first SBR, turnaround time was 30 days. Right after I sent my paperwork out, I contacted Orion and sent the lower out as soon as I could. Nowadays, you can take your time ;)

Besides, do you really think that once you get your stamped form back you're really going to want to send the lower out and be without your new SBR? I wouldn't want to do it that way, that's for sure! :p