PDA

View Full Version : good targets for plinking

austrianoak
11-01-08, 22:49
New to the forum here, I just got my M4 about a month ago, it's a Stag Arms model 2, right hand by the way, and it's awesome.

I shoot milk jugs full of water for fun and I shot a pumpkin today, which was pretty cool. Just wondering, what do you shoot for fun? what are good targets for plinking? Thanks.

Jay Cunningham
11-01-08, 22:52
I honestly can't remember the last time I shot anything but paper, cardboard or steel. Oh wait - I shot a milk jug filled with water during ToddG's class but that was part of a drill and with a pistol.

5.56mm seems a bit expensive to plink with - I always think .22lr when I think plinking. Go to the dollar store and buy a case of cheap soda pop - these are fun to pop with a bullet.

austrianoak
11-01-08, 22:55
yeah, i didnt think about shooting soda cans, ill just buy the cheapest stuff they have for shooting

plus i plan on reloading, so it wont cost alot to just shoot for fun every once in a while

frogger
11-01-08, 23:24
I guess I'm just boring, but I shoot mostly at these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/pdf/targets/pistol_target.pdf

and these...

http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/staticpages/pdf/targets/rifle_target.pdf

I have occasionally used empty soda cans or spent shotgun shells, but usually just paper. I haven't actually BOUGHT a target in close to 10 years though.

eternal24k
11-02-08, 00:20
clay pidgeons, cans, or paper.

Oscar 319
11-02-08, 00:35
EMPTY 1lb Coleman propane bottles. The first shot should be at 50-100 yards, and you'll know when you hit it. :cool: After that, it makes a great reactionary target for AR's and handguns. The best part is ease of clean up. Just be careful not to cut yourself on the shredded steel.

ToddG
11-02-08, 00:39
Spray paint cans. Full spray paint cans.

(disclaimer: if you get hurt and/or get sued over the mess, suck it up ... it was still pretty cool, wasn't it?)

bkb0000
11-02-08, 04:01
when searching for targets, consider your line of work. What extra shit does your job produce? take it, and shoot it.

I'm a construction contractor.. my favorite is worn-out saw blades and shovels. we also blast all sorts of other building materials, construct target boards from plywood and 2x's, construct benchresting tables from same, construct things to shoot and destroy, etc. spray paint cans are awesome- especially if you have fire next to the can. buckets of paint also blow the **** up (no fire, though). propane tanks are dangerous, especially with fire next to them, so take COVER and make sure there's nothing that shouldn't be destroyed within several hundred yards (like your truck). ceramic floor tiles are wonderful, and there's usually dozens or hundreds left over after a job. sheetrock is fun to do "experiments" with, as well as old windows from remodels.

i also like stringing up waterballoons, or pretty much anything, and seeing who can hit the string and drop the target first.

goodwill and other re-sale stores are always FULL of great target materials- barbie dolls, GI joes, records, toy cars, cheap dish sets, vases, etc.

make sure everyone is prepared to do CLEAN UP afterward, though. everyone likes to blow shit up, but act like you're an idiot when you shout "clean up time!" because you're not a total asshole and dont leave a heaping pile of shit lying all over the place.

austinN4
11-02-08, 07:33
Assuming you are safely shooting into a berm backstop, +1 on the clays. One clay keeps making smaller and smaller targets until there is pretty much nothing is left. Inexpensive and environmentally sound.

Robb Jensen
11-02-08, 08:00
http://www.tannerite.com/

Just don't hurt yourself.

bkb0000
11-02-08, 12:41
http://www.tannerite.com/

Just don't hurt yourself.

i like all the warnings and legal opinions on their website... definately inspires confidence.

The video reminded me of another great exploding target available, and they're FREE- meth labs!

Highway 55
11-02-08, 15:08
Dead bowling pins.

Your local bowling alley should have some old pins that they cant use anymore in the alleys. They're usually more than happy to get rid of them.

bkb0000
11-02-08, 16:37
Dead bowling pins.

Your local bowling alley should have some old pins that they cant use anymore in the alleys. They're usually more than happy to get rid of them.

Whats with the unibomber sketch?

DesertWarrior13
11-02-08, 17:32
Balloons make great targets. You can use different sizes and colors. I put them on a cardboard backer or silhouette with tape or the end through a small hole.
You can also cut holes in the cardboard/silhouette to match the balloon's diameter and insert balloon. This makes a good reactive target to confirm a COM shot. :D

+1 on the clay pigeons!

I agree, don't leave a mess! Even if you are out in the middle-of-no-where; cuz that's where I'll be when I shoot too; and I don't want your trash left there.

P.S. DO NOT SHOOT GLASS. It leaves a big mess, not to mention the potential hazard for flat tires and people with pets.

hossb7
11-02-08, 18:16
http://zombietargets.net/store/media/z1_store_view.jpghttp://zombietargets.net/store/media/z2_store_view.jpghttp://zombietargets.net/store/media/z3_store_view.jpg

http://joeq.dot5hosting.com/store/page2.html

skyugo
11-02-08, 18:37
i love steel plates... rocks and bricks can be fun too. make sure you're far back and there's nothing to the sides that may be harmed by ricochet.

bkb0000
11-02-08, 19:44
buncha zombies

None of those zombies are armed. how do you identify and distinguish hostile zombies from non-combatant zombies?

Robb Jensen
11-02-08, 20:02
I'd consider anything actively trying to eat my brain as hostile and bullet worthy whether armed or not.....;)

hossb7
11-02-08, 20:08
None of those zombies are armed. how do you identify and distinguish hostile zombies from non-combatant zombies?

generally you dont have to be armed to want to eat someones brain.

thats hostility enough for me. YMMV.

jasonb
11-03-08, 00:03
I hit up the dollar store and get shaving cream and hairspray. It's pumpkin shooting season as well. I shot a cast iron skillet that I didn't treat right and got rusty, but that was kind of boring as the bullets punched through and didn't even make that nice "ting" sound

bkb0000
11-03-08, 01:17
I hit up the dollar store and get shaving cream and hairspray. It's pumpkin shooting season as well. I shot a cast iron skillet that I didn't treat right and got rusty, but that was kind of boring as the bullets punched through and didn't even make that nice "ting" sound

sheeeeeeit. i forgot all about pumpkin season.. right about now your local grocer will let you take all his leftovers for pennies on the dollar. back up the truck, mang.

sixboysdad
11-03-08, 09:48

My local bowling alley willing to get rid of them, but there is a demand, due to the number of active shooters in my area. It costs about $2.50 apiece, or a set of ten for $25.00. Not bad for targets that will absorb countless .22 long rifle and scores of 9mm. I don't know how they will do for 5.56mm, as I only got mine about 2 months prior to my deployment, so have not shot pins with it.

That old microwave oven didn't fare too well, though.

markm
11-03-08, 09:58
Spray paint cans. Full spray paint cans.

(disclaimer: if you get hurt and/or get sued over the mess, suck it up ... it was still pretty cool, wasn't it?)

This works at night when the spray cans are surrounded by fire. You get a flaming rocket ship effect.

CarlosDJackal
11-03-08, 12:13
Clay pigeons are always fun to plink with. I usually get a lot of unbroken ones from my club's trap and skeet ranges.

skyugo
11-03-08, 20:54
My local bowling alley willing to get rid of them, but there is a demand, due to the number of active shooters in my area. It costs about $2.50 apiece, or a set of ten for $25.00. Not bad for targets that will absorb countless .22 long rifle and scores of 9mm. I don't know how they will do for 5.56mm, as I only got mine about 2 months prior to my deployment, so have not shot pins with it.

That old microwave oven didn't fare too well, though.

they take 223 pretty well. 223 just kinda zips right through em. that crazy plastic paint finish they put on pins really holds em together...

my old range had a bunch of bowling pins. it was sweet cause they kinda keel over and die when ya hit em. ;)

Gutshot John
11-03-08, 21:08
Saltines (yes the cracker) make awesome plinking targets.

SHIVAN
11-03-08, 21:11
I like when people bring the "sniper cubes" to the open MG shoots.

apb2772
11-03-08, 23:19
https://ssl9.chi.us.securedata.net/theheadnut.com/merchantmanager/images/uploads/neccowafers.jpg

They rock for fairly high stress accuracy shoots. We have 50-75 yard open-sight/low power scope shoots with them... they just turn to a colored cloud. I usually take a 2x2, or 2x4 and rip a long half inch deep slot into one edge and wedge them in. Good cheap shooting fun. (besides I think that the candies themselves taste like crap anyway so it is a fitting end for them!)

scubamark13
11-04-08, 16:44
Lemons, oranges and potatos are all sweet targets they really blow up when hit with 223.

Hawgleg44
11-05-08, 15:05
I like shooting steel, from a safe distance, obviously. 50 yards plus is the bare minimum I feel is safe with a rifle when not using frangible ammo.

For rifle use, steel needs to be AR500 plate. AR400 pistol targets will hold up to a point, but they do start to mark up and cup a little after being used with .223's. When they start to cup, that's when you start to get more ricochets.

I also get the drops from I-Beams from a local steel shop. The web is usually fairly thin and .223's zip right through them, but the flanges are 3/8" minimum, usually more, for any sizeable I-Beam. I get them for free, and I just bring them back after they are shot up and toss them in their recycling dumpster, so they are still getting the scrap price.

Make sure you get club approval for any steel targets, too. Most of the clubs I know of don't allow steel, especially homemade steel targets.

If you want outstanding quality, safe steel targets, check out GT Targets (http://gttargets.com/). I was introduced to his products at a class with Bruce Gray of Gray Guns, Inc. As a former welder, I can say his products are top notch, and the owner Karl is just a great guy, too.

markm
11-05-08, 15:22
I like shooting steel

Steel is the only way to go for me. I like the instant feedback, and not having to clean up a mess or reset targets after a string of shots.

Dave L.
11-05-08, 15:46
Hippies and Looters...more fun than a car full of haj.