PDA

View Full Version : 12 Year Old Killed While Trick-or-Treating

Iraqgunz
11-02-08, 01:45
This is a tragedy and hopefully the shooter meets a swift end. Though he is allegedly a convicted felon in possession of a firearm I wonder why there is no mention of this charge being added. It also goes to illustrate why we as gun owners need to act and be responsible. Remember this story because when the time comes and the anti-gun lobby starts their crap they are going to use this as a reason for taking away "assault weapons".

http://news.aol.com/article/boy-killed-while-trick-or-treating/234790

SUMTER, S.C. (Nov. 1) - An ex-convict who thought he was being robbed gunned down a 12-year-old trick-or-treater, spraying nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside his home after hearing a knock on the door, police said Saturday.
Quentin Patrick, 22, is accused of killing 12-year-old T.J. Darrisaw on Friday night. T.J.'s 9-year-old brother, Ahmadre Darrisaw, and their father, Freddie Grinnell, were injured but were released after being treated at a hospital.

The family attended a Halloween celebration in downtown Sumter, 45 miles east of Columbia, then stopped at Patrick's house because the porch light was on, police said. Another sibling was with them, but wasn't hurt.
Police said at least two of the boys were wearing ghoulish masks when they knocked on the door. The boys' mother and a toddler stayed in the car nearby.
Patrick emptied his AK-47, shooting at least 29 times through his front door, walls and windows after hearing the knock, Police Chief Patty Patterson said.
He told police he had been robbed and shot in the past year.
"He wasn't going to be robbed again, and he wasn't going to be shot again," Patterson said Saturday at a news conference.
She said T.J., a bright young man, suffered multiple wounds, including a fatal shot to his head. No one answered the door at the family's home Saturday.

"This is by far one of the worst tragedies that I have had to personally experience," Patterson said. "It happened basically because kids were out doing what they would normally do on Halloween."
Patrick has been charged with murder, three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, and one count of assault with intent to kill.
Police said they also charged a 19-year-old in his home, Ericka Patrice Pee, with obstruction of justice when she was caught trying to run away after the shooting with $7,500 in cash. Patterson did not give an explanation for the money.

Pee's 2-year-old daughter was inside during the shooting and is now being cared for by family members.
Patterson said Patrick had multiple drug convictions but police do not believe he was under the influence of drugs or alcohol during the shooting. Authorities did not know if Patrick or Pee had attorneys. Both are being held without bond.
A man who identified himself as Patrick's brother but declined to give his name said in a call to The Associated Press that he believed Patrick was suffering from post-traumatic stress after a break-in last December. The man's account matched the information police provided.

"We want to let his family know that this is a total tragic accident," he said. "He was trying to protect his family."
Patrick's home is off a busy, two-lane road in Sumter, a city of about 40,000 people. On Saturday, shattered glass still covered the front stoop and about 20 bullet holes peppered the front door and a front-window casement. A firefighter used a hose to wash bloodstains away.
The shooting shocked residents of a neighborhood where most people know each other well.
"I just hate it that that little kid got killed. It used to be the quietest place. I knew everybody and everybody knew me," said Vivian Johnson, 81, who lives two doors from Patrick and Pee but said she did not know them.
County Councilman Charles Edens said he lives just a few blocks away and passed the crime scene on his way back from trick-or-treating with his 13-year-old daughter, who was upset by the news.
"It's going to put a dampening on Halloween," Eden said. "I would think twice about going to a door that we don't know who lives behind."
Associated Press Writer Katrina A. Goggins in Columbia contributed to this report.

ZDL
11-02-08, 02:09
Saw this... Might be more to the story but how do you arrive at the decision to blindly empty a mag through a door? This one will definitely not go unnoticed by AWB proponents.

Gutshot John
11-02-08, 09:49
Accomplice trying to run away with $7,500 in cash?

So basically a convicted felon, using an illegal firearm to murder a child while protecting his drugs.

Yep...those gun control laws sure do work huh? :rolleyes:

Hootiewho
11-02-08, 09:58
What do you want to bet his girl was flushing every toilet in the house at the same time he was shooting trying to get rid of dope. I imagine this cat was up to no good and probably either thought the kid was someone after him and his cash/dope or the police.

On that note, all cops whoever go knock on an unknown someone's door should learn from this as it could have just as easily been the police he shot.

Iraqgunz
11-02-08, 10:08
Hootie,

Exactly what I was thinking when I was remembering the disussion here about police and some of the questionable warrant stuff that had happened.

What do you want to bet his girl was flushing every toilet in the house at the same time he was shooting trying to get rid of dope. I imagine this cat was up to no good and probably either thought the kid was someone after him and his cash/dope or the police.

On that note, all cops whoever go knock on an unknown someone's door should learn from this as it could have just as easily been the police he shot.

Safetyhit
11-02-08, 16:43
I don't care if he had been robbed 5 times in the past year and had a pole shoved up his a** the last time. He never should have emptied the mag through the door, especially on Halloween. Even the many violent morons in Camden and Philly are smarter than that, and they have a lot to fear. What a friggin scumbag. :mad:

And that poor little kid, what were the odds of being so unlucky? Just terrible.

czydj
11-02-08, 18:19
Saw this... Might be more to the story but how do you arrive at the decision to blindly empty a mag through a door? This one will definitely not go unnoticed by AWB proponents.

How do we get off the defensive? Constantly defending our 2nd amendment rights against illogical assaults by idiots is not winning the battle or the war.

The fact is, criminals will continue to defraud law abiding citizens of life, liberty and happiness. Those marginal human beings use everything from cars to feather pillows to carry out their evil. The press has got this anti-gun bug up their butt, just like their anointing of messiah Barry O, their pressure and tactics will convince the masses the problem is the law abiding citizen. Just as too many people believe the created crisis called "global warming", the gun issue will gain steam unless we get on the offensive.

Where to next, my friends?

ZDL
11-02-08, 18:22
How do we get off the defensive? Constantly defending our 2nd amendment rights against illogical assaults by idiots is not winning the battle or the war.

The fact is, criminals will continue to defraud law abiding citizens of life, liberty and happiness. Those marginal human beings use everything from cars to feather pillows to carry out their evil. The press has got this anti-gun bug up their butt, just like their anointing of messiah Barry O, their pressure and tactics will convince the masses the problem is the law abiding citizen. Just as too many people believe the created crisis called "global warming", the gun issue will gain steam unless we get on the offensive.

Where to next, my friends?

Which part was directed at me? I don't understand.

ckmark
11-02-08, 18:48
Halloween here is a celebration for "Bloods"... They go around shooting white families, supposed to shoot 31 of them. I don't know why this was the only shooting to make the news from SC, but there were plenty more. My buddy responded to 3 shootings that night, and told me a gas station was shot up by gangs.

Its getting ridiculous in this area. 3 city's in my area, including the city I live in are in the top 25 my dangerous metropolitan areas...

#5 Florence
#6 Myrtle Beach
and #24 Sumter (The city this took place in)

School here are over run with gangs... Sad when you have schools with 2000 students having to have 2-3 on duty sheriffs... thats not SRO's.

czydj
11-02-08, 19:07
Which part was directed at me? I don't understand.

You brought up a good point. This isn't good press. IMHO, the liberal media is going to rally the uneducated masses and attempt to further their illogical agenda.

I'm just asking, how do we get off this defensive position we constantly find ourselves in?

ZDL
11-02-08, 19:40
You brought up a good point. This isn't good press. IMHO, the liberal media is going to rally the uneducated masses and attempt to further their illogical agenda.

I'm just asking, how do we get off this defensive position we constantly find ourselves in?

Ah sorry. My reading comprehension is on "E" tonight.

As far as getting off the defensive position: I don't think we can afford to. That being said, the complicated dynamic found in something like the Keller case, I feel, will eventually work against us. So by being defensive in that particular case, in my opinion, will cost us later.

(Not attempting to derail this thread into another heller discussion!)

I don't have any answers. Wish I did.

czydj
11-02-08, 19:45
Ah sorry. My reading comprehension is on "E" tonight.

As far as getting off the defensive position: I don't think we can afford to.

Understood! No worries, mate!

I'm just asking, how do we get off the defensive and get on the offensive? Don't we really need to find a way to stress personal responsibility and getting out of the nanny-state mentality too many have unknowingly fallen into?

ZDL
11-02-08, 19:52
Understood! No worries, mate!

I'm just asking, how do we get off the defensive and get on the offensive? Don't we really need to find a way to stress personal responsibility and getting out of the nanny-state mentality too many have unknowingly fallen into?

LOL When you figure that out, shoot one of those flying pigs in the air.

SW-Shooter
11-02-08, 22:12
Call me paranoid but this is the exact reason my kids don't go T or T'ing. Too many sick ****s in the world anymore, seems to me that they care less and less anymore about doing shit like this.

murphy j
11-02-08, 22:27
Don't we really need to find a way to stress personal responsibility and getting out of the nanny-state mentality too many have unknowingly fallen into?
That's the crux of it right there. No one wants to hold anyone personally accountable for their actions anymore. It seems like there are too many apologists that want lay a persons actions off as someone elses fault or ignore the facts at hand. This guy didn't think before he acted and now an innocent child is dead. He should be held accountable and I hope he is. But, the anti-gunners will look at this and blame the gun, not the man:rolleyes:.

Gutshot John
11-03-08, 07:55
Well there's no doubt that the suspect will be held personally accountable.

We get off the defensive by stating the facts of the case:

1. Convicted felon
2. Convicted felon illegally possessing a firearm.
3. Convicted felon illegally possessing a firearm to protect his illegal drugs.
4. Convicted felon illegally possessing a firearm to protect his illegal drugs murders an innocent child.
5. Convicted felon illegally possessing a firearm to protect his illegal drugs murders an innocent child while his accomplice tries to destroy evidence of his crime.

All of this ignores that despite myriad laws to prevent the above, the criminal still managed to procure an illegal weapon.

Seriously this is a no-brainer, please let the AWB folks use this to state their case. Honestly though I don't think we can get that lucky as it demonstrably proves the stupidity of their position.

Safetyhit
11-03-08, 08:24
Seriously this is a no-brainer, please let the AWB folks use this to state their case. Honestly though I don't think we can get that lucky as it demonstrably proves the stupidity of their position.

To the thinking man, this would seem sound. And, it is sound based on the applicable facts.

However to the non-thinking, reactive anti-gunner, it is just another example of what these horrible weapons can do and why they should not exist in society. They will find some way to spin it for us.

The more I read about the story, and specifically the boy, the more hate I feel for this bastard that committed the atrocity.

Gutshot John
11-03-08, 11:35
However to the non-thinking, reactive anti-gunner, it is just another example of what these horrible weapons can do and why they should not exist in society. They will find some way to spin it for us.

Res Ipsa Loquitur. It can't be spun, the established facts speak for themselves. They might TRY to spin it, but the rabid anti-gunner doesn't need another reason to hate us and no amount of facts will ever change their minds. So who cares what they think? You've got no control over that.

Even still anti-gunners aren't stupid, they pick their battles and they'll find a better case than this one.

I haven't heard one peep of protest from anyone on the media or net have you?

SwatDawg15
11-03-08, 11:40
Yea all they are going to key on is "assualt weapon" even though if it had been most handguns, shotguns, ect.. the effect would have been the same. Thats always my worst fear when we do raids, is getting shot through walls, doors, ect. You can't react to what you cant see, and alot of leo's have fell victim to this. Bad thing is there ant much that can be done.... intel is skepitcal at best, dynamic entry's work if everything goes as planed and the team is quick enough. Stealth is hardly non-used around here because 99% of the dopers have video cams set up.. (we removed two from houses last week). We have been lucky thus far, and this is in our lovely country.

I cant imagine what the Soldiers go threw doing urban raids on homes that more than likely have fully auto AK47's waiting for them. I guess the short answer is to train, train, and train... and never give up. Maybe just one of the low-life dopers we take down will be one less that will kill a child asking for freakin candy.

Sorry for the long vent.

Safetyhit
11-03-08, 12:27
I haven't heard one peep of protest from anyone on the media or net have you?

Not yet, but it's only been 4 days. Someone will reference it publicly at some point down the line, and some will agree with their sentiment. Just another horrible incident with an "assault weapon", also one that could possibly have been avoided if they were banned. We lawful owners just don't need any more of it out there, especially with an anti-gun democrat seemingly about to get into the White House.

You know I agree with you here, and no I don't think the matter will generate any more than emotional, idealistic proposals. The law did all they could to keep that man away from weapons of any sort, he went way around the system to do what he did. You and I should not be held responsible for that, of course.

Gutshot John
11-03-08, 12:31
Not yet, but it's only been 4 days.

Four days is an eternity in the news.

The point is that any number of gun laws already existed that should have prevented this crime. Either gun control laws work...or they don't.

How would an AWB have made a difference to this criminal illegally procuring this gun, let alone the illegal (read banned) drugs he was protecting?

They can reference it all they want but this case actually undermines their position and I'd welcome calling attention to that fact.

We can win this debate standing on our heads if they're so ghoulish as to try and capitalize on this boy's murder.

Please let them be that stupid.

randyman_ar
11-03-08, 17:41
Take his ass to family planning and ABORT HIM!!!! Yes, at the ripe old age of 22! Hell of a lot quicker than the death penalty!!! Hell I might be pro-choice after all!

jostha2007
11-03-08, 19:59
what is sad is that this knuckle head gave more ammo to the anti gun nuts.

Not good when this kind of crap happens!

:rolleyes: