PDA

View Full Version : Glock 43 with Crimson Trace Laserguard Pro to be my winter blaster?

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-18-18, 17:54
Well I was looking for a little more gun than my J-frame to walk around with during the winter. I despise bulky, heavy guns for daily carry so I figured I would pick up a Glock 43. It is only a bit better than the J-frame with 7 vs 5 shots, but it is easier to shoot and reloads are obviously much better. So I found a TALO special edition at Barrow's. As far as I can tell, all it has is Hackathorn sights, which I prefer. I took it out last week and ran 212 rounds through it. 100 brass, 100 steel and 12 147 grain gold dots. Ran great. So then I ordered the laser guard Pro and slapped it on. It was perfectly zeroed out of the box! Winning! Then I ran 200 rounds of Tula crap and that was fine...but then I had some ranger 147 and it jammed. Pissed me off because I now won't trust the gun until it runs a crap load of hollow point which is $$. I know it is only one jam but I am picky. So I guess I will keep carrying the J-frame until I can confirm this was just a fluke or break in.

Other than that, the gun is great. Doing El Pres drills on my plates are easy peasy thanks to the awesome old man orange front sight and black U notch rear. It carries IWB in a blade tech and it is easy to forget it is there. Really, the only downside, other than safety (specifically pocket carry and re holstering during drills) is the fact than I can't carry snake shot. I have a reasonably large piece of property I live on and we have a LOT of nasty snakes so I like to keep the first two shots as a shotshell.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4890/31006981697_22f4fe0b8c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PeYToH)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/PeYToH) by stoiclawyer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/52942291@N00/), on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4908/31006963877_bb0f668d0d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PeYN6t)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/PeYN6t) by stoiclawyer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/52942291@N00/), on Flickr

Gingerkid
11-18-18, 19:08
Nice piece. Try to break it ;-)

In on one!

Arik
11-18-18, 19:30
I bought mine for the same reason..... replace the J frame and occasional summer carry. Has been reliable with everything I've shot but never tried the Ranger 147. Ran fine with Ranger 127gr +p. But I'm still thinking of getting the new Shield 2.0 it has a slightly better (larger) grip and a few extra rounds

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-18-18, 20:29
LOL. I might!

ViniVidivici
11-19-18, 15:54
Sweet pistol isn't it. My 6 actual just a few weeks ago picked one up to supplement her G19.

Our chosen carry load is RA9T, as it's on DockGKR's list, and it's been locally available cheaply for a while. Put 50 rnds of ot through the G43, no problems at all.

We did have a FTF on round 3 (Blazer Brass 115grn), which we're not sure was due to break-in, or limp-wristing from her not being used to the gun.

300 rnds down the pipe now, no malfunctions.

In the end, some guns just don't like some ammo, which is why you're doing the right thing, proofing it with a defensive load before you rely on it.

Maybe try some Federal 147grn HST.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-25-18, 17:31
I followed up with 100 rounds of Tula and 30 rounds of 147 grain HST. Everything worked fine. Of course shooting it accurately after shooting 150 rounds through my Beretta G SD seemed like a chore. Then, I followed up with 50 reds through my J-frame which reminded me how good the Glock really does shoot!

Business_Casual
11-25-18, 17:44
Is the issue LAV brings up in his video (pinching the trigger finger) a problem at all for you? We all have different hands.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-25-18, 17:47
No, but I did lock the slide back while shooting by riding up too high on the gun. That was my sloppy gun handling though. Larry had trouble with the HK45 trigger channel too, which I never did. He is jinxed!

CoryCop25
11-26-18, 04:43
I shoot and carry m G43 quite often. I have found that putting way more trigger finger than normal on the trigger helps with accuracy. I have a Talo G43 and the sights are hands down better than stock sights. I have had zero malfunctions with mine with a steady diet of 147 gr. HSTs and 147 gr American Eagle. Greg, I think your single malfunction was a freak thing.

ViniVidivici
11-26-18, 06:08
I have to say we were also impressed by how low the felt recoil was, and by how accurate it is, for such a small pistol.

Sam
11-26-18, 06:25
I can't believe I'm seeing this thread ! You've cursed the glocks in the past. Now you're drinking their cool aid and joined the dark side.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-26-18, 18:12
I have owned zillions of Glocks!! I don't hate Glocks, they hate me. You can see this one promptly jammed! Just kidding, I agree with Cory, just a fluke. I didn't clean it and it is back in the fight.

ViniVidivici
11-26-18, 18:38
I have to say we were blown away by how "shootable" the thing is. Much less felt recoil than I expected, and have experienced with similar size/weight pistols.

Also much more accurate than I'd expected.

Only upgrades it needs are some better sights and some Taran Tactical base pads/springs to increase capacity.

Sam
11-26-18, 20:26
I have owned zillions of Glocks!! I don't hate Glocks, they hate me. You can see this one promptly jammed! Just kidding, I agree with Cory, just a fluke. I didn't clean it and it is back in the fight.

Some time back you said something like, "I keep a glock to remind me how sucky they are".

With this purchase, they glock mafia may just forgive you and welcome you back to their family.

SeriousStudent
11-26-18, 21:46
Some time back you said something like, "I keep a glock to remind me how sucky they are".

With this purchase, the glock mafia may just forgive you and welcome you back to their family.

Gaston never forgets.... He watches. He waits. He remembers.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-26-18, 23:21
In a world of compromise: Glock. :cool:

SiGfever
11-27-18, 17:16
I have had great luck with my G43 as my EDC. I feed it 124gr HST for a steady diet and it likes it fine. I added some Trijicon HD "Lime" front night sights and a Houge "Handall Jr" that really helps with my grip and it just feels better in my hand. My holster of choice is the Vedder LightTuck w/claw, it carries so easily that I forget that I have it on. I too have been tempted with the new Shield 2.0, but every M&P I have tried had a sucky trigger, maybe just me. I tried three G43's at my LGS before I picked the one that I have, there was a noticeable difference in the three.

SeriousStudent
11-27-18, 19:48
Greg, have you done any low light shooting with the Crimson Trace doodad? And did you get the red or green laser?

What do you think of it?

Pi3
11-27-18, 21:50
I rented one at an indoor range with a red ct laser and was also surprised by how controllable it was. With my old eyes a laser is mandatory.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-27-18, 23:18
Serious,

"Greg, have you done any low light shooting with the Crimson Trace doodad? And did you get the red or green laser?

What do you think of it?"

Yes. I have the red laser. I typically get the red because I only use them for night and prefer the extra battery life.

I really like it. I had one on my Shield and liked it too. The pressure switch is very handy.

Norseman
11-28-18, 12:06
My J-frames are praying for your soul. :jester:

Sam
11-28-18, 12:18
My J-frames are praying for your soul. :jester:

Amen !

SeriousStudent
11-28-18, 18:27
I own ten J-frames, and two Glock 43's.

There's probably a lesson lurking in there somewhere.

SeriousStudent
11-28-18, 18:28
Thanks for the info, Greg. I will look into one. I have had pretty good results with the CT lasers on wheelguns.

Eurodriver
11-28-18, 18:56
I own ten J-frames, and two Glock 43's.

There's probably a lesson lurking in there somewhere.

Yeah. Get with the times and ditch the wheel guns!

SeriousStudent
11-28-18, 19:26
Yeah. Get with the times and ditch the wheel guns!

LOL. You would be stunned to know how many wheelguns I have. :cool: I took all the long guns out of one safe, and just installed shelves for nothing but pistols. Most of them are S&W revolvers.

And I'll play, if the good counselor will entertain the thread drift. For pocket carry, I have found that it is faster and easier for me to get a good drawstroke and a first round hit. By that, I mean a round in the black on a B-8 target at 5 yards and in.

The G43 tends to snag more frequently. I've tried numerous holsters, and done hours of presentations and dry practice with one.

The shape of a J-frame lends itself to a faster draw from the weakside pocket. That's where I always have one. It's usually a Smith&Wesson 342 - titanium frame and cylinder, it weighs just over 10 ounces unloaded.

If you look at the research done by the Force Science Institute, and Tom Givens of Rangemaster, the first person with the accurate shot wins between 90 and 92 percent of gunfights. I work really hard on first-round hits - either from the primary G19 or the secondary 342.

A Glock 19 is my primary, and always will be. It's carried right-hand at 3:00. But, however, comma, it is frequently advantageous to have one's hand on a J-frame in the left pocket.

So if I am already carrying a pistol IWB on my strong side, why bother with a G43? When I can carry a G19 or G17 just as easily?

The answer for me for the last 20 years, has been "both". Strongside G19 and weakside J frame.

It's a useful tool for specific scenarios.

The two G43's are frequently loaner guns for my daughter. That's why I own them. She usually carries one AIWB, and shoots like a boss.

Besides, you would be amazed how well you could likely shoot a good revolver. Wander over here to Texas sometime, and I'll loan you one. We'll go to the range with a few hundred rounds and you'll have a blast.

Pi3
11-28-18, 21:43
The J-frame works really well when the end of the barrel is touching the target.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-28-18, 23:27
J frames are my all time favorite handy gun. Works every time and can be safely carried even without a holster. A J frame sits in my pocket all day, especially when I can't wear a jacket.

Pi3
11-29-18, 09:48
J frames are my all time favorite handy gun. Works every time and can be safely carried even without a holster. A J frame sits in my pocket all day, especially when I can't wear a jacket.

Yes, with the CT grip and the apex trigger it is THE pocket gun. It sounds like the G43 is hard to pocket carry. But the G43 is so much more shootable.

ViniVidivici
11-29-18, 11:15
It would work for me for pocket carry very well. I regularly pocket carry a CPX-2 as a BUG (yes I know, gasp, but it runs well!) and the G43 works as well or better, as I've tried it.

Used to rock a J-frame in that role, before I had to sell it, and I do agree with the above, the J-frame does come out of the pocket more smoothly.

Sorry for my contribution to the thread derailment.

Pi3
11-29-18, 11:53
What pocket holster works best for the G43 with ct laser? Even witha gadget, putting in a pocket gives me pause.

Norseman
11-29-18, 17:45

All kidding aside, they are pretty handy little blasters for sure. But, I get what you are doing and why. Going through something similar myself.

Euro is also not wrong in his comment though. It is a Glock world whether or not folks want to recognize it, myself included. Sign of the times I guess.

The G43 is a strong contender is today's market. And just like it's bigger siblings have done in replacing the 1911 as the gun which all others have been judged, the 43 could become the J-frame for the next generation.

Good luck in your endeavors, hope it works well for you. I don't think I am alone when I say it is appreciated that you take the time to share your "tests" with us.

ViniVidivici
12-01-18, 16:06
What pocket holster works best for the G43 with ct laser? Even witha gadget, putting in a pocket gives me pause.

Uncle Mikes #4 looks like it may accomodate it.