PDA

View Full Version : Question: IR Lasers, what am I doing wrong???

FrankW
11-18-18, 20:35
I have a DBAL A3 and ATPIAL (full power). When left sitting for a few days with a fully charged battery, these devices will drain the battery and fail to function. Without fail, both devices drain the battery when left mounted but not in use.

What am I doing wrong?

No, I didn’t read the user manual.

Yes, I just bought them when a good deal popped.

No, not prior MIL and have not received extensive training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mig1nc
11-19-18, 12:20
Did you turn the selector switch to off? Serious question.

DBALs used to be known to kill batteries when not switched to the off position

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Renegade
11-19-18, 13:56
I have a DBAL A3 and ATPIAL (full power). When left sitting for a few days with a fully charged battery, these devices will drain the battery and fail to function. Without fail, both devices drain the battery when left mounted but not in use.

What am I doing wrong?

No, I didn’t read the user manual.

Yes, I just bought them when a good deal popped.

No, not prior MIL and have not received extensive training.

1) Make certain unit is off.

2) If certain unit is off, and still draining, remove full battery for a few days then install and check charge. This will tell you if you have a battery problem or a unit unit problem.

FrankW
11-19-18, 17:18
Are there any other on/off switches than the activation buttons??

mig1nc
11-19-18, 17:29
Are there any other on/off switches than the activation buttons??

If you look at the mode selector switch, you have like hi/lo aim/lum/etc... One of those positions is "off" https://www.berettadefensetechnologies.com/sites/default/files/content/manuals/laser_device_dbal-a3_manual.pdf

FrankW
11-19-18, 17:57
If you look at the mode selector switch, you have like hi/lo aim/lum/etc... One of those positions is "off" https://www.berettadefensetechnologies.com/sites/default/files/content/manuals/laser_device_dbal-a3_manual.pdf

So... if left in any other position other than off it burns down the battery? Seems like a massive design flaw.

mig1nc
11-19-18, 18:11
The old ones were definitely like that. I heard they fixed it, but I can't say more than that. So I err on the side of caution and always keep mine switched off.

Edit: I turn them on if I'm gearing up for a night shoot or to function check.

And to be fair, the owners manuals in all my night stuff all say to take the batteries out when not in use. If you aren't doing that, I hope to God you are at least using quality lithium batteries.

FrankW
11-19-18, 20:42
The old ones were definitely like that. I heard they fixed it, but I can't say more than that. So I err on the side of caution and always keep mine switched off.

Edit: I turn them on if I'm gearing up for a night shoot or to function check.

And to be fair, the owners manuals in all my night stuff all say to take the batteries out when not in use. If you aren't doing that, I hope to God you are at least using quality lithium batteries.

For the price paid for these you’d thing they would remain in a state of readiness like a flashlight would...[emoji848]

Seems like a real short coming of the devices.

Outlander Systems
11-20-18, 08:10
Neither my A3 or i2 have had issues with storage drain in the off position.

diving dave
11-20-18, 09:27
I always remove the battery from my ATPIAL C when not in use...

FrankW
11-20-18, 14:12
Neither my A3 or i2 have had issues with storage drain in the off position.

I’ll try it. Thanks.

YO_Doc
11-25-18, 11:34
What batteries are you running?

I keep mine in the off position and with disposable Surefire batteries I don't have this issue with my A3

Outlander Systems
11-25-18, 11:49
Same here. Surefire 123s only.

What batteries are you running?

I keep mine in the off position and with disposable Surefire batteries I don't have this issue with my A3

WickedWillis
11-25-18, 14:06
I always remove the battery from my ATPIAL C when not in use...

Which I thought was standard for IR lasers in general, i could be wrong though

mig1nc
11-26-18, 05:30
Which I thought was standard for IR lasers in general, i could be wrong though

You are correct.

But it's generally safe if you use quality lithium batteries like genuine SureFire and keep them in a climate controlled environment and store them with the control switches in the off position.

contax_shooter
11-26-18, 08:23
Anyone try to use rechargeable 16340 with 3.7v output batteries in their laser systems?

mig1nc
11-26-18, 08:34
I don't have any with a battery compartment long enough.
Anyone try to use rechargeable 16340 with 3.7v output batteries in their laser systems?

prdubi
11-26-18, 11:02
Steiner will square you away....

Give them a call and get it repaired.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk