PDA

View Full Version : Mr Inbetween (Australian tv show)

Honu
11-20-18, 00:28
so far pretty funny in a odd way
its on FX channel

"Mr Inbetween" is a half-hour drama series inspired by the cult film "The Magician." It centers around Ray Shoesmith -- a father, ex-husband, boyfriend and best friend. All tough roles to juggle in the modern age, but it's even harder when you're a criminal for hire. Shoesmith is a man who has been hardened by the prison system and his experiences there. Now, he is learning how to deal with life in the real world -- even attending anger management classes -- away from the bars of prison, where actions always have consequences.

Jer
11-20-18, 08:56
its on FX channel

We watched the first few episodes and I just couldn't get into it. Just... odd. There were like one or two funny parts but mostly just half-hour chunks of boredom. I'm just not sure what the plot is supposed to be & the characters are only somewhat engaging. The brother who appears only briefly may be the most endearing character in the series to the point we watched.

A similar program would be Barry which is funny and dark but at least you know the plot is the guy is a hitman but doesn't want to be but can't get out of the game. To me Barry is a much more entertaining hitman dark comedy type show. Just patiently waiting for the next season to come out and thought that Mr. In Between would be a good bridge to fill that gap but alas.. it's not meant to be.

Honu
11-20-18, 11:45
We watched the first few episodes and I just couldn't get into it. Just... odd. There were like one or two funny parts but mostly just half-hour chunks of boredom. I'm just not sure what the plot is supposed to be & the characters are only somewhat engaging. The brother who appears only briefly may be the most endearing character in the series to the point we watched.

A similar program would be Barry which is funny and dark but at least you know the plot is the guy is a hitman but doesn't want to be but can't get out of the game. To me Barry is a much more entertaining hitman dark comedy type show. Just patiently waiting for the next season to come out and thought that Mr. In Between would be a good bridge to fill that gap but alas.. it's not meant to be.

have to look up Barry online :) looks like it could be good

yeah odd is the word to describe :) but I like the fact you relate to a bad guy and think yeah he has a point and many would do or like to do the same thing he does sometimes kinda like Mel Gibson Payback movie rooting for the bad guy

also its based off a movie so that might help with it

one thing I did not know is Dewey Crow from Justified is in it ? did not know he was Australian

reckon also I tend to watch shows like this while multitasking :) for those curious here is the preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epcgp45G34Q

SteyrAUG
11-20-18, 14:56
Instead watch "The In Betweeners" on Netflix. Non stop hilarious.

Jer
11-20-18, 15:55
have to look up Barry online :) looks like it could be good

yeah odd is the word to describe :) but I like the fact you relate to a bad guy and think yeah he has a point and many would do or like to do the same thing he does sometimes kinda like Mel Gibson Payback movie rooting for the bad guy

also its based off a movie so that might help with it

one thing I did not know is Dewey Crow from Justified is in it ? did not know he was Australian

reckon also I tend to watch shows like this while multitasking :) for those curious here is the preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epcgp45G34Q

It's always funny when you see someone you've known in one thing for a while only to find out later they're an entirely different nationality than you assumed they were the entire time. Acting!

Instead watch "The In Betweeners" on Netflix. Non stop hilarious.

The US version that just started recently?

ETA: there are two versions of The Inbetweeners and I was trying to get clarification which one you said was hilarious. One series started in 2008 and a US version that started on 2012. I assume it's the US version you watched on Netflix?

SteyrAUG
11-20-18, 17:45
The US version that just started recently?

ETA: there are two versions of The Inbetweeners and I was trying to get clarification which one you said was hilarious. One series started in 2008 and a US version that started on 2012. I assume it's the US version you watched on Netflix?

Didn't even know there was a US version, I watched the UK version and it's available on Netflix.

Jer
11-20-18, 18:28
Didn't even know there was a US version, I watched the UK version and it's available on Netflix.

We don't have Netflix but I'll download the UK version and check it out. If it's sweet we may watch the US series afterwards.

SteyrAUG
11-20-18, 20:53
We don't have Netflix but I'll download the UK version and check it out. If it's sweet we may watch the US series afterwards.

Looks like the US version was on Mtv or some similar crap, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

Averageman
11-21-18, 04:24
its on FX channel

I've enjoyed this show an have seen every episode.
I looked at it this way, he did some time in Prison and then, very likely got caught in a rut where he really couldn't go straight unless he was willing to settle for less than nothing. I mean after all a life of crime is a better life than being a janitor somewhere.
He has a code of ethics and seems to try and stick to them, it's just that life sticks it's finger in his eye once in a while.

SteyrAUG
11-21-18, 13:36
I mean after all a life of crime is a better life than being a janitor somewhere.

Is it?

Averageman
11-21-18, 15:08
Is it?

In the series the guy has a kid, an ex wife, a brother with MS and he's trying to keep his head above water.
Given all of that, a life of crime would appear a lot more attractive than watching it all fall apart as you make minimum wage.

SteyrAUG
11-21-18, 15:35
In the series the guy has a kid, an ex wife, a brother with MS and he's trying to keep his head above water.
Given all of that, a life of crime would appear a lot more attractive than watching it all fall apart as you make minimum wage.

But in the long run, which is more sustainable. More importantly, when you finally get your ass locked up who is taking care of the kid, ex wife and brother with MS? And when all is said and done and you finally get out of jail and failed to take care of those people, you'll be lucky to get a job as a janitor.

Better to just take the job as a janitor and do your best until something else comes along. I know it's just a tv show, but too many people think like that and just go from "life is hard" to "I've messed this up forever."