PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Magnum?

Armati
11-02-08, 08:25
Ok, so we know the difference between the 870 Police and 870 Express, but what about the Magnum? How does the Magnum stand up? Given that it is billed as a 'magnum' I would think it would have a more heavy duty construction than the Express.

I was looking at the XCS Marine Magnum. Any thoughts?

Fringe
11-05-08, 13:27
I am wondering this too. As far as I can see the Magnum takes the bigger 3 1/4 shells, but I hope I am wrong. I am looking into getting a new 870 and not sure which one to get. I just want to get a bare bones one and put some Vang gear on it.

Robb Jensen
11-05-08, 13:30
Ok, so we know the difference between the 870 Police and 870 Express, but what about the Magnum? How does the Magnum stand up? Given that it is billed as a 'magnum' I would think it would have a more heavy duty construction than the Express.

870 Magnums can handle 2 3/4" or 3" shells. 870 Super Magnums can handle 3 1/2" shells.

870 Express shotguns are magnums and thus can handle 3" shells.

Dave L.
11-05-08, 15:15

I have a Marine Magnum 870 but only because this guy bought it for Y2K (remember that shit)- I bought it for $200 (brand new) with 200 rounds of 00 Buck, and 2 custom leather shot shell bandoleers.
The coolest thing about it is how easy it cleans up- I never really "clean" it- only pull out a rag and wipe the parts down- nothing sticks to it.

I would buy an 870P if you get the chance, their QC is better than the Express Models.

ErikL
11-05-08, 18:11
The "870 Magnum" is the same gun as the "870 police magnum", its just the older model. As Dave mentioned, the express model is the lower tier gun, it has a plastic trigger group housing.

Redmanfms
11-05-08, 20:07
I have a Marine Magnum 870 but only because this guy bought it for Y2K (remember that shit)- I bought it for $200 (brand new) with 200 rounds of 00 Buck, and 2 custom leather shot shell bandoleers.
The coolest thing about it is how easy it cleans up- I never really "clean" it- only pull out a rag and wipe the parts down- nothing sticks to it.

I would buy an 870P if you get the chance, their QC is better than the Express Models.

I've seriously considered one, but can never quite get past the nickel finish. I've not had great experiences with nickel. How is the finish holding up? Any flaking, bubbling, etc.?

Armati
11-05-08, 20:18
The "870 Magnum" is the same gun as the "870 police magnum", its just the older model. As Dave mentioned, the express model is the lower tier gun, it has a plastic trigger group housing.

That was my question. I was wondering if the Magnum was built to the same high standards as the Police. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

I see used 870 Magnums all the time at local shops. A nice second hand Police is much harder to come by and much more expensive.

Dave L.
11-06-08, 05:34
I've seriously considered one, but can never quite get past the nickel finish. I've not had great experiences with nickel. How is the finish holding up? Any flaking, bubbling, etc.?

It's holding up very will, it's the easiest shotgun to clean. No chips, no bubbles. I wish they would make a darker plating and achieve the same results. I would probably not buy another one, it's the only Pimp* gun I own, and only got it because I paid less than half the retail.
My next pump guns will probably be the new FN's, but the 870P is still the standard in pumps as far as I'm concerned.

* By Pimp, I'm referring to the flashy silver color made popular by guns in ghetto gang banger movies.

Dan Goodwin
11-30-08, 07:45
Dave, I'll bet your gun would look great with oil-finished wood stock set.

I'm thinking about jazzing up my old blued 870 Wingmaster Magnum with some Marine Magnum parts.

docholliday
12-03-08, 16:15
I shoot 870 Police Magnums at work (IL DOC). I never thought you could break an 870 until I worked there, but some of those guns are much older than me @29.

toddackerman
12-14-08, 11:56

Read the sticky at the top of this page for the differences.

geezerbutler
12-14-08, 12:18

I was looking at the XCS marine magnum. Any thoughts?

The Reminton 870 XCS marine magnum is listed in their 2008 civilian catalog.

As you may already know, it is black as opposed to the shiny nickel that most people associate with marine magnums.

I've seen it online in the $600-800 range.

A new 870P 18" synthetic stock with 2 shot extension should run around $500.

If one could obtain an 870P parked, I'm not sure why they would choose the more expensive XCS marine magnum, with the additional beefed up parts and refining process that the police guns go through.

I'm not sure if the new XCS has a metal trigger group, it only says that internals have been coated to resist corrosion.

The 870P's are hard to find because you are supposed to be a stocking remington ammo dealer to sell remington guns, form what I was told by a dealer.

Most shops want to carry multiple ammo lines for their customers so this is a hassle for them.

ccap74
01-13-09, 20:24
the "magnum" only means its chambered(accepts) magnums. It doesnt mean its any stronger. Its not like the .38/.357 pistol comparison

8200rpm
01-14-09, 00:29
Given that it is billed as a 'magnum' I would think it would have a more heavy duty construction than the Express.

Recent 12 ga. "Express" models (what you typically buy at Wal-mart) are "Magnum"...
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7225/img4764ez5.jpg

Current "Express Magnums" on the shelves are engraved only as "Remington 870" on the receiver.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/f308gt4/Remington.jpg

If the S/N end with "M", it's a magnum... 3" chamber.

CLHC
01-14-09, 01:04
As you may already know, it is black as opposed to the shiny nickel that most people associate with marine magnums.

I'm not sure if the new XCS has a metal trigger group, it only says that internals have been coated to resist corrosion.
Here "was" mine, til I sold it to my brother :confused::

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ClarenceLadd/IMG_0241.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ClarenceLadd/IMG_0242.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ClarenceLadd/IMG_0246.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ClarenceLadd/IMG_0235.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ClarenceLadd/IMG_0234.jpg

The trigger guard/housing(?) is plastic.