PDA

View Full Version : .22LR ammo advice needed

Mr McSimon
11-20-18, 19:12
I was shopping for a Ruger 10/22 the other day and on a whim I ended up with a TacSol X-Ring Takedown with a Magpul Backpacker Stock. Now I'm wondering with all the super deals on .22LR ammo these days, what's the best ammo to get started with and to stock up on?

I've been seeing the Remington Thunderbolt 40gr stuff out there for less than $0.03 per round, but I have to believe it's so cheap because it's a subpar round. Can anybody speak to that? Also, I have to believe there's stuff out there that is more accurate, clean, forgiving, etc. just as with any other caliber, but I don't know enough to know what it would be. .22 cal has always been an afterthought for me, but now I'd like to get a little more serious about it.

This rifle will be a part of my survival kit, but I'll mostly be using it for fun. I'll do little bit of target shooting, plinking in the mountains, and I intend to suppress it. I don't mind running different ammo for different scenarios, so does anybody have any good recommendations that will work well with the X-Ring Bull Barrel, or should I just be looking at price, price, and price? Also, any other pertinent info like bullet weight, velocity, or anything else that I should consider, including a good subsonic choice, will be greatly appreciated.

CDR_Glock
11-20-18, 19:40
I like CCI Standard, Fiocchi Subsonic, Winchester Subsonic.

Remington Subsonic and Thunderbolt would make my semiautomatic pistols choke.

My finished rifle, sighting on my range from my private driveway.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/ce72fbb601c9a47a5fc3921ec5c0df79.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/aa27ce85939f096d869b58bc3fb2ba4c.jpg

I did a lot to the above Ruger 10/22. Here’s what it looked like before.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181121/d9837e31b01e5fe48dc5b9a0c557d2f3.jpg

I installed a Kidd single stage trigger, initially. Accuracy was subpar at 50 yards with how it was above.

I kept it in the safe since I didn’t enjoy shooting it. When I acquired suppressors, I decided to work on it last month. I replaced the barrel with a Tactical Solutions Barrel.

I then changed the internals to Kidd, also. Extractor, screws, firing pin, spring and rod kit.

I polished my factory bolt.

Now it shoots subsonic Ammunition.

My rifle’s favorite ammo, of which I acquired 5000 rounds is Aguila Super Extra. I also have several thousand CCI Standard.

Before you stock up on ammo, try a small box to see how it works in your gun. $3-8 for a box is better than a couple of hundred for a huge set of bricks of ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rockyriver
11-21-18, 07:54
I say CCI all the way. You pay a little more but get good results. For plinking use the Standard Velocity CCI.
For Varmints I use the CCI Velociter or Stinger.
I got away from the Remington Rimfire stuff back in 2013 because of bad misfires and it was just so dirty to shoot.

The_War_Wagon
11-21-18, 09:31
It seems EVERY mfg says, "DO NOT USE THUNDERBOLTS!" So first thing I do, is shoot thunderbolts through it. Figure if it can't take THAT, then what is the POINT of it?

Ruger Mk.III has run fine on them for almost 10 years now. Ditto my dedicated TacSol .22 AR. I have more trouble cycling Peters .22 than anything else.

kerplode
11-21-18, 12:18
I'm partial to CCI...Especially the MiniMag. Their plain-Jane Standard Velocity stuff is good as well, as are the SGBs.

Win and Federal bulk pack stuff is also clean, reliable, and reasonably accurate in all of my rimfires.

Thunderbolts, while functionally reliable, lead terribly in everything I've ever fired them in. After a couple boxes, the leading has built up to a point that it's necessary to tap a cleaning rod down the bore, and the lead comes out in long twisty streaks. Totally pain in the ass to clean up after....I ain't got time for that shit, man.

Failure2Stop
11-21-18, 12:30
My Adaptive Tactical takedown 10/22 barrel will consistently group under 1/2" at 50 yards with CCI Green Tag, and right around 1/2" with CCI Standard Velocity. No stoppages with either over a few hundred rounds. Wolf Match was good out of my M&P 15-22, but I haven't shot it though the Adaptive barrel.

I go by the general rule of thumb to shoot subsonic for precision, and use high velocity stuff for small game inside 50. I know that there are some folks that do use supersonic for long range stuff, but I haven't compiled enough data or experience with that to embrace it, where I know that the current record holder for long-range .22LR was shooting Lapua subsonic .22LR.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-21-18, 16:23
For semis, I look for the heaviest round going the fastest that has some kind of ‘plating’ or wash on it- not bare lead. Then I get hooked by a PSA email offer.

Looking in the ammo closet, I have a bunch of Federal ‘Automatch’. Runs great in a SW MP15-22 and M&P9-22. I have some Thunderbolt that I’ve shot, and I can’t say I noticed as difference. When we go we put about 300-600 rounds through the 15–22 and clean it every other time.

I agree CCI is better, cleaner ammo and probably the ‘best’ for what you are looking to do.

Mr McSimon
11-21-18, 17:12
Thanks for the input so far. CCI is actually some of the stuff I have on hand, so I'll be taking a closer look at their offering based on these reccomendations.

What do you guys think of the Federal Black Label? https://www.brownells.com/ammunition/rimfire-ammo/black-label-22-long-rifle-ammo-prod123834.aspx Seems to be some pretty killer deals for it too.

joedirt199
11-21-18, 20:55
My 10/22 shoots wolf match in silly small groups. I buy it online in 500 round boxes. Was hard to find before but getting better now that everyone has a basement full of .22 ammo.

Remington thunderbolt costs more per round after you factor in all the duds that failed to go off.

mark5pt56
11-22-18, 06:34
I've had good service with the Federal Auto Match in the Ruger 22/45, 10-22 standard and CZ Varmint. The 325 count boxes. I still have some SK standard and purple box Lapua from long ago when the OSHA ammo transport ban was looming, but never happed. That was mid 1990's I believe. I think I picked up 25k then. Another sleeper for match is the Wolf Match, seemed to run right with the Match Target line. The SK standard is accurate but finicky in semi's.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/22-lr-ammo/325-round-brick-22-lr-federal-automatch-bulk-pack-40-grain-lead-1200-fps-ammo-am2

flenna
11-22-18, 07:19
For plinking I buy Remington Golden Bullet (not Thunderbolt) and for hunting CCI. I have not had any problems with that particular Remington round (out of semi autos, bolt action or revolver) and it is cheap enough for plinking. CCI is just plain accurate- especially their sub sonic hp out of a bolt action.

Pappabear
11-22-18, 08:50
You gotta see what your gun likes with accuracy and feeding / ejection. Buy small quantities before buying 5,000 rounds. I like the Federal Auto stuff for semi autos. I also found it to offer acceptable accuracy.

PB

1_click_off
11-23-18, 17:16
If you are going to suppress it, save your money on CCI subsonic and buy CCI standard velocity. It is still subsonic. More readily available and higher velocity.

Sub is 710fps
SV is 1070fps

But like PB stated, make sure it likes The ammo first.

Mr McSimon
11-23-18, 19:12
If you are going to suppress it, save your money on CCI subsonic and buy CCI standard velocity. It is still subsonic. More readily available and higher velocity.

Sub is 710fps
SV is 1070fps

Nice tip, thanks.

newkirk
11-23-18, 19:36
Agree that it's hard to go wrong with CCI standard velocity. Great ammo.

CrowCommand
11-24-18, 07:05
Another vote for CCI standard...I use it for plinking and CCI subsonic HPs for varmints. They shoot to same POI in my 10/22.

markm
11-24-18, 13:21

Sub is 710fps
SV is 1070fps

CCI Standard Velocity worked good for me too. The WOLF black box as well. Green Tag wasn't that thrilling in my gun..... I forget which other flavors I tried.

SWIGIN
11-25-18, 08:30
I have used everything from Wolf extra match to basic bulk ammo and I suggest you try every brand you can get your hands on and see what your gun like. The two 10/22 I have tricked out like the same ammo which is nice but my factory 10/22 likes other brands.

Some of my top performers, CCI standard velocity, GemTech standard velocity, Wolf extra match.

Now for plinking or shooting long distance I don't waste my standard velocity stash. I get good results with Federal auto match, Blazers, Basically anything made by Federal HV.

Here are some targets, 100y and 150y with basic bulk ammo from my tricked out 10/22.
https://i.postimg.cc/NffKNGbJ/100yd-target.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

https://i.postimg.cc/VLxcJDSq/150yd-target.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

If your happy with the results and can find it whenever you want I say that's a great ammo choice.

AndyLate
11-25-18, 20:27
Another vote for CCI Standard Velocity and Mini Mag.

CCI has been the most consistent rimfire ammo for me. I shoot a good bit using my 10-22 and MK-II semi-autos and most of the other brands will have an occasional under-powered or dud round.

I am sure match ammo from any company would be consistent and reliable.

My Iver Johnson single shot rifle is fun to shoot with CCI Quiet ammo (hell, it's fun to shoot period, but I avoid HV ammo in it).

Andy

AndyLate
11-25-18, 20:31
Double tap...

Gunfixr
11-25-18, 20:52
I've got 3 22s set up to run the suppressor, a bolt gun, a 10/22, and a little bersa pistol.
My 10/22 is basically stock, except putting a folder and optic on it, and cutting the barrel back to 16.5", threading it, and putting the front sight back.
For plinking, just the Remington bulk pack, the plated golden bullet. The thunderbolts had leading issues, so the only unplated bullets I shoot now are subsonics. For anything serious, I like cci, particularly mini mags. I don't try really accurate shooting with it, I have a serious match rifle, but have had good results with wolf match. Was not impressed with green tag, standard shot just as well, but your rifle may differ. Pmc scoremaster was awesome, but I think now unavailable. Federal standard didn't seem to always run well.
Remington subs were fine, as was cci. The gemtech subs work good also, i've been told cci loads it for them.

You just gotta get a little of everything you can find, and see.

A friend who was a trapper for a long time, used a 22 rifle to dispatch what he caught. He said he never found a 22 hp that expanded on game, so don't waste the money. Myself, if the price is the same, I don't care whether there's a hole in the front or not, i'll get either.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

1_click_off
12-08-18, 13:21
A friend who was a trapper for a long time, used a 22 rifle to dispatch what he caught. He said he never found a 22 hp that expanded on game, so don't waste the money. Myself, if the price is the same, I don't care whether there's a hole in the front or not, i'll get either.

I would would agree completely on the HV stuff. The only benefit I have found with HP is it tends to ricochet less.

Mr McSimon
12-10-18, 17:06
Update.

I was able to get out this last weekend with some CCI standard 40gr and Federal Black Pack 36gr HP, as well as some old CCI Blazar ammo that I had. I shot a total of 100 CCI standard, 100 Federal, and 50 Blazar. All three were "ok", but I had some problems with feeding with all three brands. The problems all came on the 25 round Ruger banana mags, with no problems using the standard 10 round mags. Some of the problems even resulted in rounds becoming unusable to the point that I had to dispose of them in the dud can because the bullet had become partially separated from the brass, resulting in rounds that were obviously no longer safe to fire.

I'll certainly be doing more shooting and testing, but I wonder, is it normal to have 5-10 out of 250 misfeeds, double feeds, failure to extract, etc. in the .22 rimfire world? I would have thought no with such a high end rifle, but my only other real experience with .22 is with an old Marlin Model 60 I've had since I was a kid, but that thing never fed properly. Maybe that's just how it is shooting .22LR semi auto? Any thoughts?

CrowCommand
12-10-18, 17:22
Rimfirecentral.com has the 10/22 gurus. Might need to be shot more (assuming this is a new rifle) to break it in... A call to TacSol wouldn't hurt.

Mr McSimon
12-16-18, 12:33
Rimfirecentral.com has the 10/22 gurus. Might need to be shot more (assuming this is a new rifle) to break it in... A call to TacSol wouldn't hurt.

Tons of info over at Rimfirecentral.com, thanks for the tip.

Esq.
12-18-18, 12:41
I shoot a lot of Aguila SV. It's a good, readily available and inexpensive round that shoots well. I have shot many sub moa 100 yard groups with it out of a couple of accurized 10/22's.

Harvey Mushman
06-16-19, 16:10
I've been shooting more 22 rimfire recently than I have in the past, so figured I would share my thoughts and experiences.

Had very negative experience with Remington over the course of 1500 or so rounds with Golden Bullet, plus small quantities of other stuff. Many dud rounds, although it varies. Sometimes in a brick of 500, there would be only a handful of duds. Others had like one out of ten that wouldn't fire. Also had problems with under-powered rounds - you can hear the difference when you fire. Obviously this gives function issues in semi-autos, and is bad for consistent accuracy in any gun.

Also had negative experiences with Winchester bulk pack, the stuff that comes in those mini-bricks of 222 rounds. Although it ignited more reliably than Remington, there was the same problem of under-powered rounds that wouldn't cycle the bolt/slide on a semi-auto. I shot this stuff in 2 pistols that have proven highly reliable with other ammo, and they didn't run well with this. I've shot less than 500 rounds so far, so small sample size.

Had positive experiences with Federal. Over the course of 2200 rounds (1050 Champion bulk pack, 650 Automatch, and 500 rounds of subsonic stuff), I've had only 2 failures to fire, no under-powered rounds, very few malfunctions of any kind.

My favorite rimfire ammo right now is CCI Blazer. Over the last 2000 rounds, I've had no dud rounds, no under-powered rounds, very few malfunctions of any kind. Shot Blazer in 5 different guns recently, and it ran great in all of them.

Failure2Stop
06-17-19, 09:21
I had an extremely unpleasant experience with Thunderbolt recently.
In two SW22 Victory Performance Center pistols, initial groups were better than I expected (about 2" at 25 yards in my hands), which led me to use Thunderbolt (against my better judgement) for a Steel Challenge Match. Both leaded up so badly I had to pull out of the match before the final stage.
Lead removal took about three hours, and now both barrels hold lead more than any other 22 pistol I have owned, all because I wanted to save a few bucks.

Conversely, I have been very happy with pretty much everything that CCI makes, and specifically the round nose Mini Mag in those pistols.
The HP Mini Mags work fine as well, but the round nose produce smaller groups is just about everything I shoot them out of.

Bimmer
06-17-19, 09:38
I've never bought or used Thunderbolts because they have such a bad reputation.

I have a bunch of misc. "match" and standard and subsonic .22lr for bolt guns, and a bunch of high-vel stuff for the semi-autos.

Both leaded up so badly I had to pull out of the match before the final stage.
Lead removal took about three hours, and now both barrels hold lead more than any other 22 pistol I have owned, all because I wanted to save a few bucks.

Please explain this to me...

How did the leading manifest itself?

And are you saying that the Thunderbolts somehow damaged your barrels so that they now lead more easily? How could that have happened?

FWIW, I rarely/never clean the barrels of my various .22lr rifles. I just shoot 'em and then shoot 'em some more.

B Cart
06-17-19, 12:33
Another vote for CCI. I prefer the CCI MiniMags, but the SV is good too, and I generally use the CCI Stinger and Velocitor for hunting. The CCI Quiet ammo is very quiet suppressed, but won't cycle the bolt on most semi autos. I've also shot the Winchester Subsonic with pretty good results.

06-17-19, 14:57
Another vote for CCI MiniMags here.

Failure2Stop
06-17-19, 16:11
I've never bought or used Thunderbolts because they have such a bad reputation.
I have a bunch of misc. "match" and standard and subsonic .22lr for bolt guns, and a bunch of high-vel stuff for the semi-autos.

Please explain this to me...
How did the leading manifest itself?
And are you saying that the Thunderbolts somehow damaged your barrels so that they now lead more easily? How could that have happened?
FWIW, I rarely/never clean the barrels of my various .22lr rifles. I just shoot 'em and then shoot 'em some more.

I have always been a "shoot em and leave em alone" guy when it comes to .22 LR.
I only went to scrubbing previously when good ammunition would not give me what I was used to seeing.

With these pistols, I was experiencing some function problems as they were getting cumulative round count, but most significantly, accuracy went completely out the window.
It was so bad, I assumed initially that the sight or mount went wonky, but then I confirmed that both guns had gone erratic.
When I got home to inspect, the bores were visibly packed to the extent that rifling was completely obscured with a rough surface.
It was so thick I could not drop a .22 cleaning rod through. I had to attach a brush and slowly work my way down the bore, "drilling" my way through the lead build-up.
When I could finally pass the brush and rod through the bore, I started scrubbing, resulting in a literal pile of lead chunks and powder with each barrel.

I don't think that I fully removed the lead from the bore in that first cleaning session.

The next time out, I first verified that the zero returned (it did), that accuracy was what it was previously (it was), and that there were no function issues (there were not).
I then ran through a couple of hundred of rounds on each, and by the end, I noticed that accuracy was getting worse again and zero had shifted right by about 2-3 inches at 25 yards.
Inspection revealed lead accumulation in the last half of the bore.
I once again attacked with brushing, but this time was pulling out long strips of lead early in the brush process.

I bought some Bore Tech Rimfire Blend, and it definitely pulled out some more lead streaks.

Following uses seemed to result in *less* lead accumulation, but I still pull out way more lead from these pistols than any other rimfire I have ever owned.

Coal Dragger
06-17-19, 20:59
Jack’s experience with Thunderbolts mirrors mine pretty closely. In addition to mediocre long term accuracy without frequent cleaning, they have proven to be unreliable in my .22LR semiautos.

The advice to try a CCI standard velocity or Green Tag is solid, I shot quite a few NRA Collegiate pistol matches and made Nationals in 2003 shooting a particular lot of CCI Green Tag through my Benelli MP95e. Good consistent ammo, very good accuracy, reliable feeding, and extraction through a tight match grade chambered Olympic grade target pistol. I never once had to shoot an alibi string using that ammo. CCI Standard velocity is largely the same ammo, I suspect that Green Tag comes from test lots of Standard velocity that show low standard deviations and above average precision.

I can also heavily recommend any of the Eley products or any with Eley priming such as Aguilla offerings that use it. For inexpensive ammo Aguilla has given me some fantastic accuracy in my Cooper M57, and has done well in the Benelli as well.

Some of CCI’s other offerings are pretty solid as well, Mini-Mags and Velocitors have been very good too. Velocitors have racked up an impressive (for me) run of consecutive head shots on rabbits. Plus they are reliable.

I’ve also played a bit with CCI Pistol Match and it works really well in the Benelli. Same for Lapua Midas, in the Benelli, Cooper, and my Kimber 82 Govt’.

I can also report nice results with RWS Target Rifle.

If I had to give advice on what to look for to give the best chances of reliable function and good accuracy it would be a quality 40gr offering, non plated, and heavily lubed with a good wax bullet lube. I really like the generous amount of lubricant on Eley and Lapua offerings to maintain long term consistency without frequent barrel cleaning. The lube really cuts down on leading and seasons the bore, to the point you can go a ridiculously long time without cleaning.

AndyLate
06-18-19, 06:53
I bought a brick of Thunderbolts not too long ago because they were ridiculously priced when bundled with a different brand of 22 lr at a LGS. I don't remember the price, but it had to be cheap for me to buy them, given my dissatisfaction with the ammo previously.

My son, his wife, and I shot the whole brick through my 10-22 one morning with a single malfunction caused by not seating the mag completely. We used the 10 and 25 round Ruger mags.

I still don't trust it and prefer Minimags.

Failure2Stop
06-18-19, 08:13
I bought a brick of Thunderbolts not too long ago because they were ridiculously priced when bundled with a different brand of 22 lr at a LGS. I don't remember the price, but it had to be cheap for me to buy them, given my dissatisfaction with the ammo previously.
My son, his wife, and I shot the whole brick through my 10-22 one morning with a single malfunction caused by not seating the mag completely. We used the 10 and 25 round Ruger mags.
I still don't trust it and prefer Minimags.

I have a few bricks of the Thunderbolt remaining that I'll hang onto in case of dire need.
Frankly wouldn't feel right selling it to anyone else.

The worst thing about my experience with is is that during the final stage that we shot, when I was moving gear back from the line to the staging area, one dude pointed to my "Thunderbolt" labeled ammo container (I re-purpose the CCI 100-round plastic containers and label with masking tape and marker), and said, "That's your problem right there."
Of course, I defended the ammo, saying that I put a couple hundred rounds of different type through the guns from what I had in sufficient volume at the house, and the Thunderbolt was great (at least as accurate as the CCI Mini Mags).
Once I looked through the bore I realized how abjectly incorrect I was.

kerplode
06-18-19, 11:58
I found a brick of Thunderbolts in my stash recently...I literally threw that shit away. Not literally like in the ironic figurative sense, but literally in the literal sense that I put them right in the garbage can where garbage goes and closed the lid.

The cost of that brick is inconsequential compared to the ass-ache of having to spend hours chipping long slivers of lead out of a barrel.

Uni-Vibe
06-20-19, 21:13
And yet Thunderbolt seems good stuff compared to the hideous Winchester Xpert 36 grain in the gray box. I bought some of that dreck during the Shortage. I threw about 750 rounds of the awful stuff into the barrel at the range. Not worth trying to shoot.

Eurodriver
06-20-19, 22:05
That is nuts. I have 1050 rounds through my 22/45 and probably 1/2 are Thunderbolts.

I’m now more worried about my suppressor than the rifling. Especially since it’s aluminum and I can’t dip it.

Bimmer
06-21-19, 03:08
The problems all came on the 25 round Ruger banana mags, with no problems using the standard 10 round mags...

I'll certainly be doing more shooting and testing, but I wonder, is it normal to have 5-10 out of 250 misfeeds, double feeds, failure to extract, etc. in the .22 rimfire world? I would have thought no with such a high end rifle, but my only other real experience with .22 is with an old Marlin Model 60 I've had since I was a kid, but that thing never fed properly.

Like the others said: You have a magazine issue, not an ammunition issue.

I don't have a 10/22, but I have a couple Ruger American Rimfires that take the same mags, and if the tolerances between the stock and the mag release hardware and the mag itself, then they won't feed correctly and/or the mags aren't retained correctly. (I'm on RimfireCentral, too.)

I then ran through a couple of hundred of rounds on each, and by the end, I noticed that accuracy was getting worse again and zero had shifted right by about 2-3 inches at 25 yards.
Inspection revealed lead accumulation in the last half of the bore.
I once again attacked with brushing, but this time was pulling out long strips of lead early in the brush process.

Wow, this is intense... I had heard urban legends about this kind of thing, but this is really impressive.

Did you go back to shooting Thunderbolts the second session? Or was it another ammo that leaded up the barrels again so quickly?

Failure2Stop
06-21-19, 07:43
That is nuts. I have 1050 rounds through my 22/45 and probably 1/2 are Thunderbolts.
I’m now more worried about my suppressor than the rifling. Especially since it’s aluminum and I can’t dip it.

The brakes on my pistols are aluminum, and while they accumulated a pretty decent amount of lead spall, it was easily removed with a tool by hand.

Failure2Stop
06-21-19, 07:46
Wow, this is intense... I had heard urban legends about this kind of thing, but this is really impressive.
Did you go back to shooting Thunderbolts the second session? Or was it another ammo that leaded up the barrels again so quickly?

I had light leading from the CCI following my first deleading attempt.
Subsequent trips have yielded less leading, but I am now hyper attentive to the bores.

Daniel44114
07-25-19, 14:36
Just make sure and throw some desiccant packs in with them for the long term. Moisture will still get through. A metal can cannister is best. Case in point: RC car fuel. It will draw moisture through the plastic bottles its stored in. That's why they recommend metal bottles for it if you will not use it within one month.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-07-20, 18:11
Has anyone shot that CCI red tip 'green ammo'. It sounds like it is a lot cleaner running? Looking to use it in an MP15-22 and PSA 22lr dedicated upper. Has what I look for 40gr and fast. Wanted to know if it was really cleaner.

CEE
05-09-20, 17:53
I have shot some CCI but not those. I have best luck with the Federal 550 round box & sometimes the Winchester, but the Winchester doesn't seem as good, or my pistols just don't like it much.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-10-20, 00:39
I’ve been buying three or four boxes of 22 here and there to support my habit. Realized I was down to around 1200 rounds when I thought I had a lot more. I was looking to buy a 5000 round case, and I was wondering if the C.C.I.‘s were worth the extra penny or two per round. I hate cleaning guns, I hate cleaning 22s the most.

CEE
05-10-20, 07:42
[QUOTE=FromMyColdDeadHand; I hate cleaning guns, I hate cleaning 22s the most.[/QUOTE]

I hear you, an older Ruger Mark II my grandson shoots has developed some problems, & it has always been a pain to get it cleaned to my satisfaction. Clean shooting ammo would be a blessing.

Lefty223
05-10-20, 18:55
Best two pieces of 22LR advice I ever received, from a women on the Olympic Shooting Team, was to (1) never brush a 22LR bore, use jags/patches/mops only and (2) get 6 or more different loads and clean barrel. Shoot 5 to ‘lube’ the bore w/ that bullet’s lube, then fire for the group. Clean again and repeat. Repeat!

I did this once, recorded it & have the targets ‘somewhere’, rifle benched and scoped at 50-yards and the smallest group was ~1/2” ragged hole, with the largest ... 3 to 4” with fliers!

Uni-Vibe
05-10-20, 23:49
I’ve been buying three or four boxes of 22 here and there to support my habit. Realized I was down to around 1200 rounds when I thought I had a lot more. I was looking to buy a 5000 round case, and I was wondering if the C.C.I.‘s were worth the extra penny or two per round. I hate cleaning guns, I hate cleaning 22s the most.

CCI standard 40 grain is the poor man's match ammo. Buy it.