PDA

View Full Version : The NRA is right about the CDC

AndyLate
11-21-18, 06:50
Maybe if the CDC controlled diseases instead of being a bunch of overpaid liberal tools, Acute Flaccid Myelitis wouldn't be killing kids.

Hmac
11-21-18, 07:15
Do you believe that the CDC isn’t addressing Acute Flaccid Myelitis?

AndyLate
11-21-18, 12:08
I believe that they are not fully involved, yes.

If their effort is directed at anything except curing communicable disease, then they are not concentrating on it, they are just making a half-assed attempt.

Hmac
11-21-18, 12:35
I suspect your concern is actually that you don't want them addressing gun violence as a public health issue, doubting their ability to maintain objectivity relative to a gun control position despite the Dickey Amendment. Whether true or not, there's no evidence to confirm that that activity plays any role in impairing their ability to address communicable disease, including Acute Flaccid Myelitis.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-21-18, 13:07
This 'polio like' disease has been making news in CO for years, and four years into it the CDC forms a task force on it. Yeah, govt. Sure, making a comment of research on this versus guns would be odd in a general conversation, on a gun forum I can see it. The CDC has been making noise for 20+ years about researching gun violence. Considering that there was a disease, which is actually in their lane, has just now seemed to get their attention in a serious way, in contrast to them complaining in the press about funding for gun violence research- you can make a point. Not the strongest point, but considering the BS stuff on FB that gets big upvotes, I don't think it is crazy.

SteyrAUG
11-21-18, 15:46
So when does the CDC weigh in on gang activity and the related culture of violence as a health issue?

When do they address the health issues related to extremist political activism?

When are they going to finally get around to pointing out the direct parallels of those who advocate Marxism with those who have mental disorders?

dwhitehorne
11-21-18, 16:18
Maybe the Center for Disease Control could admit to all the long forgotten diseases that are being reintroduced into the United States from uncontrolled illegal immigration instead of spending resources on a gun debate. David

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-21-18, 16:52
Actually, brain dead progressive parents are enough to keep the CDC going because of low vax rates.

Moose-Knuckle
11-21-18, 17:06
When is the CDC going to do something about teenagers, smart phones, and motor vehicle fatalities?

DoJ/FBI data show that more Americans are murdered with blunt instruments (baseball bats, hammer, tire tools, etc.) than modern semi-automatic sporting rifles, when will the CDC do something about all those blunt instruments?

grnamin
11-22-18, 05:06
When are they going to address Trump Derangement Syndrome?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

morbidbattlecry
11-22-18, 11:49
So when does the CDC weigh in on gang activity and the related culture of violence as a health issue?

When do they address the health issues related to extremist political activism?

When are they going to finally get around to pointing out the direct parallels of those who advocate Marxism with those who have mental disorders?

Really?:rolleyes: How about the study that shows people with mental disorders often talk to god often are violent?

AndyLate
11-22-18, 12:18
Only the people that believe God replies to them coversationally have mental disorders.

We have believed in a higher power (or powers) since the dawn of time.

Andy

Hmac
11-22-18, 12:52
We have believed in a higher power (or powers) since the dawn of time.

Andy
But less so as we find science increasingly explaining the mysteries of the physical world which in previous eons we had to ascribe to a magical being.

26 Inf
11-22-18, 13:39
But less so as we find science increasingly explaining the mysteries of the physical world which in previous eons we had to ascribe to a magical being.

Not trying to start an argument. Myself, I always go back to who made those original atoms that started it all. Good enough for my simple self.

Hmac
11-22-18, 13:45
Not trying to start an argument. Myself, I always go back to who made those original atoms that started it all. Good enough for my simple self.

I'm confident that someday in some future eon, humanity will understand the answer to that question, if we're still around. I don't know who or what will explain it to us.

AndyLate
11-22-18, 14:01

You are, of course, correct. For example, science is on the cusp of proving the Big Bang theory, which describes an empty universe prior to an event that distributed matter to fill that emptiness from a single point.

It's aptly described here:
"First this: God created the Heavens and Earth—all you see, all you don’t see. Earth was a soup of nothingness, a bottomless emptiness, an inky blackness. God’s Spirit brooded like a bird above the watery abyss."

How could we describe the creation of the universe when a man or woman put pen to paper and wrote Genesis?

I am not a devoutly religious or even well versed in religion, but I know enough to make we wonder.

Andy

Hmac
11-22-18, 14:10
You are, of course, correct. For example, science is on the cusp of proving the Big Bang theory, which describes an empty universe prior to an event that distributed matter to fill that emptiness from a single point.

It's aptly described here:
"First this: God created the Heavens and Earth—all you see, all you don’t see. Earth was a soup of nothingness, a bottomless emptiness, an inky blackness. God’s Spirit brooded like a bird above the watery abyss."

How could we describe the creation of the universe when a man or woman put pen to paper and wrote Genesis?

I am not a devoutly religious or even well versed in religion, but I know enough to make we wonder.

Andy

We all wonder. Different people look in different places for those answers.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-22-18, 16:12

The bible is not an owners manual to the universe(s), and how boring it would be if God kept showing up in labs with spoilers.

SteyrAUG
11-22-18, 19:10

I always arrive at...if everything needs a creator, who created the creator? And if the creator can be eternal and without beginning then so can the singularity or whatever we want to call the beginning of the universe. Having a creator simply relocates the question.

SteyrAUG
11-22-18, 19:12
Really?:rolleyes: How about the study that shows people with mental disorders often talk to god often are violent?

You so hilariously have the wrong guy.

SteyrAUG
11-22-18, 19:13

Andy

That is not what it says at all. The big bang was the creation of space itself. Before that there was no space and no time.

AndyLate
11-22-18, 20:19
That is not what it says at all. The big bang was the creation of space itself. Before that there was no space and no time.

I agree you defined a total absence of anything better than I.

My point is that Genesis describes the big bang and that is amazing.

Hmac
11-22-18, 21:12
The bible is not an owners manual to the universe(s), and how boring it would be if God kept showing up in labs with spoilers.Certainly, I would not think to look to the Bible to answer questions about the universe(s) nor would I expect that god might show up in a lab someday.

MegademiC
11-23-18, 08:14
I always arrive at...if everything needs a creator, who created the creator? And if the creator can be eternal and without beginning then so can the singularity or whatever we want to call the beginning of the universe. Having a creator simply relocates the question.

My belief/ theory, is that not everything has a creator, just everything in our universe.

Im a science guy. I believe God created our universe with rules. Everything in our world/universe follows those rules. He is outside of those confines.

Everyone has a god.

—-
I also believe the CDC should not be using resources on firearms.

TexHill
11-23-18, 09:34

At some point there has to be an uncaused cause - God - or the "who created" question could go on forever. The universe and life are too complex for there not to be an intelligent designer.

Averageman
11-23-18, 10:23
Regardless of the name, CDC or NRA, at some point the become co-opted to a large degree to serve themselves or the political agenda that feeds them.
I honestly believe the NRA isn't doing the job we want it to do. I also believe the CDC should stick to medical issues and leave guns out of it.
That however doesn't meet their needs for drama that results in funding and therefore the folks in power at these agencies salaries and powers become reduced.
I know that might sound rather radical, but I believe it to be true.

Hmac
11-23-18, 11:18
I don't see that the CDC is capable of addressing gun violence in an objective way, without any political overlay.

SteyrAUG
11-23-18, 14:00
At some point there has to be an uncaused cause - God - or the "who created" question could go on forever. The universe and life are too complex for there not to be an intelligent designer.

It gets real simple, either the origin was natural or supernatural. If one can be eternal then so can the other. Since it is probably impossible to know what happened prior to the singularity, since space literally didn't even exist to permit any kind of observation, we have absolutely zero evidence for either "before that" question so I guess believe as you wish because we don't know a damn thing for certain.

At that point science doesn't even have evidence enough to qualify a "theory" so it's "best guess time" vs. "faith."

Dr. Bullseye
11-23-18, 14:01
When are they going to address Trump Derangement Syndrome?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

They have. The CDC is coming out with a series of mandatory vaccinations, 6 in all, for children and adults. Children will not be allowed in school without the full set and adults will be mandated by their employers to get the series or be fired. After about 4 shots, you are brain dead.

MountainRaven
11-23-18, 17:57
I agree you defined a total absence of anything better than I.

My point is that Genesis describes the big bang and that is amazing.

There are a number of creation myths that could be argued as describing the Big Bang with the same level of accuracy as Genesis.

Firefly
11-25-18, 13:57
Remember when the CDC cured Smallpox and NASA launched shuttles from American soil?

Those were good times

R6436
11-25-18, 14:08
Remember when NASA launched shuttles from American soil?

Those were good times

And at least one if not all three networks would interrupt programming to air them as special reports. Good times indeed :-)

AndyLate
11-25-18, 17:01
Remember when the CDC cured Smallpox and NASA launched shuttles from American soil?

Those were good times

The CDC also eradicated Malaria in the southern US in the good old days.

Andy