PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what the heck this shotgun is...

eightmillimeter
11-23-18, 11:07
Mods move if needed but I think this may turn into more of a history discussion than anything else. Friend of mine sent these pictures asking what it is. Beyond a very early pump shotgun I am at a loss. Anyone have an idea what this is?

just a scout
11-23-18, 12:05
Looks like an old Browning trench gun maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AKDoug
11-23-18, 13:50
That odd trigger (safety?) setup has me stumped.

AKDoug
11-23-18, 13:55
The only shotguns with this setup I can find are Spencers, but the action looks different.

SteyrAUG
11-23-18, 14:05
Looks like an old Browning trench gun maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not a Model 97.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-23-18, 14:43
That odd trigger (safety?) setup has me stumped.

Cobain modification.

Gunfixr
11-23-18, 20:48
It would be nice to know if there are any more markings on it anywhere. More pics from different angles.

The only other such gun i've seen the forward trigger on was the spencer pumps, it was for re-cocking the internal hammer in case of a misfire.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

T2C
11-23-18, 21:13
It looks like an old Browning patent shotgun made by Savage or Stevens. What looks like a second trigger may be a take down lever.

eightmillimeter
11-23-18, 23:47
The people talking about the old Spencer 1882 are the closest so far. Bannerman acquired Spencer and made similar guns also. However, this is definitely NOT one of either of those. The lines definitely look Browning-ish but this has to pre-date the 1897 all the screws seem to point to something very early.

The funny thing is with a serial number that high nobody knows or has seen one. I even sent the pics to Forgotten Weapons and he was at a loss.

My friend is looking for more markings and better pics. Feel free to capture and share the pictures. Part of me is hoping this is something special.

AKDoug
11-24-18, 01:27
The people talking about the old Spencer 1882 are the closest so far. Bannerman acquired Spencer and made similar guns also. However, this is definitely NOT one of either of those. The lines definitely look Browning-ish but this has to pre-date the 1897 all the screws seem to point to something very early.

The funny thing is with a serial number that high nobody knows or has seen one. I even sent the pics to Forgotten Weapons and he was at a loss.

My friend is looking for more markings and better pics. Feel free to capture and share the pictures. Part of me is hoping this is something special.

I'm betting it's something special as well. It's a pretty cool piece. Serial number is odd, though, if it's some sort of prototype. I spent an hour today cruising through pics on Google and came up empty handed.

Arik
11-24-18, 05:34
I'm betting home made. S# is from whatever the receiver originally used to be

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gunfixr
11-25-18, 17:05
Well, in the bottom pic, an action bar can clearly be seen.
In the top pic, looking along the short visible section of the bottom of the mag tube, it almost looks like you can see the bottom edge of another action bar. But, it could just be the edge of the barrel. The spencer/bannerman guns had two action bars. The winchester and marlin guns only had one, on the opposite side of the one visible in the bottom pick.

I remember once running into an early pump with spencer's name on it, along with someone else's. I thought it was much earlier than the bannerman guns. I don't remember it looking like this, but it didn't look like the bannerman guns either. I've regretted not buying it ever since.

The gun looks to early for Savage/Stevens.

Gunfixr
12-13-18, 14:02
Union Firearms Company model 24, or perhaps model 25 (trap model) pump shotgun.

From 1902 to about 1913.

Front trigger cocks the firing mechanism.

They had Damascus barrels.

Jack First has some parts in their catalogue, don't know about actual availability.

eightmillimeter
12-27-18, 21:02
Further exploration revealed a Union marking. Most everything I’m finding shows this as a later production model 24 which had the plate added to the rear of the sliding bolt assembly. Probably less than 6-7000 made and working ones seem to sell around $250 -350 depending on condition.

Thanks to everyone for looking.

jsbhike
12-28-18, 05:41
Hit up Forgotten Weapons Ian to review it?