PDA

View Full Version : Efile ATF Information Thread

CoryCop25
11-23-18, 23:05
Hey guys.
I wanted to start a thread regarding e-filing of form 1s to the ATF.
I registered on eforms.atf.gov and began to start my Form 1. I had a problem uploading my photo so I signed on the site with my iPhone and was able to upload the photo. I logged off of the iPhone and back onto my computer and continued filling out the form. I saved my work and then had to do a few things. I then logged back in and and pressed edit form and I'm now unable to get into my form and complete it. I have tried Fire Fox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Safari and I keep getting this error message.
Please share your experiences and advice.....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4874/44207013120_9575fc0e6a_k.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2amquRo)Untitled (https://flic.kr/p/2amquRo) by Cory Fluck (https://www.flickr.com/photos/101418915@N07/), on Flickr

Smokin338
11-24-18, 04:12
That was the error page you would get when the system use to go down for maintenance... use to be All day Wednesday's.

OH58D
11-24-18, 22:42
I have always done the form 1 via the mail and paper application. I have an NFA Trust and want to try e-file. The Trust paperwork is still paper. To do the e-file and submit the Trust documents, can I just have the entire document in a .pdf and upload it?

SeriousStudent
11-24-18, 22:52
Yes, it gives you an opportunity to upload a copy of your trust.

There is a size limit, however, so you may have to break it up into bite-sized chunks for the website. I do not recall the size limit off the top of my head.

BigWaylon
11-24-18, 23:31
Yes, it gives you an opportunity to upload a copy of your trust.

There is a size limit, however, so you may have to break it up into bite-sized chunks for the website. I do not recall the size limit off the top of my head.
I don't know if it's changed, but it used to be a max of 10 attachments @ 3MB apiece. I have this info in the old Visual guide sticky:

There's often a discussion about file size for attachments, and people having trouble getting their document scanned into a single file 3MB or less. I've always tried to point out that checking the settings is the key. B&W scans are significantly smaller than color, even if the document is nothing but black text. You also don't need extremely high dpi to make it readable.*

I took a single paper Form 1 I had (so there is one small color section, the stamp itself) and scanned it on my Brother multi-function printer multiple times using every quality option I had available. Here are the results:*

B&W 100dpi = 36KB
B&W 200dpi = 77KB
B&W 300dpi = 133KB
Color 100dpi = 113KB
Color 200dpi = 313KB
Color 300dpi = 573KB
Color 600dpi = 1,228KB

So, based on that sample, a color scan is 3-4.5 times the size of a B&W scan. My trust scanned in at ~7MB at the default setting of 200dpi color. I submitted a 200dpi B&W copy which was only 1.7MB.

The trust I scanned in that example was under 2MB, and I think it was 30 pages at the time. So there's not much reason for anybody not to be able to fit it all in one PDF.

OH58D
11-25-18, 00:15
My problem is Adobe .pdf documents. If you've got 15-20 pages, it's usually a large file. I am going to have see if I can scan the pages in that format at a lower resolution.

tb-av
11-25-18, 00:39
Save the file in something besides Adobe.

Do you use H&R block tax by any chance? If so you have PDF995 installed most likely. Print to that instead. Or... go into Adobe and use the 'optimize' 'compress' ... I forget the word adobe uses.

I make 20+ page documents as a routine and they are loaded with pictures, forms, text. All manner of stuff. Very seldom they reach 3M. Usually closer to 2M.

You shouldn't have to compromise your scanning reproduction to get a small pdf but Adobe likes to make biggest file for reasons I have never known. None of the other pdf software does that.

OH58D
11-25-18, 10:51
A wealth of information here, for sure. Here's another question. I have not done a Form 1 since the new regulations under 41F went in place regarding finger prints, etc. I know I will have to have the fingerprint cards done, and some new form about myself. My wife is listed on the trust as a Successor Trustee, but there are no other names on the Trust. From what I have read, as a Successor Trustee, she does not need to be finger printed or any other paperwork because she currently has no power under the Trust. If I were to expire, then she would take on the roll of Trustee and do the complete background check, etc.

Am I thinking this correctly? This is for a Form 1 SBR I am getting ready to send in and wanted to verify that my wife does not have to do any paperwork.

Circle_10
11-27-18, 02:00
I just dropped a lower off to be engraved and started the process for e-filing my first Form 1 and had a couple questions on the process so far:
In the section "Responsible Persons" what is the correct entry to put in the "Title" box if one is filing as an Individual? The examples on the site appeared to be more geared toward people going the Trust route.

Also, who is the proper person to list as my CLEO? I had always been under the impression it was the Sheriff of the county I reside in, however one of the tutorials online I looked at was using their State Attorney General, which was a new one to me. But I figured I'd better ask.

I'm sure I'll have more questions before this is over.

BigWaylon
11-27-18, 07:33
Also, who is the proper person to list as my CLEO? I had always been under the impression it was the Sheriff of the county I reside in, however one of the tutorials online I looked at was using their State Attorney General, which was a new one to me. But I figured I'd better ask.
Lots of people make the same assumption...that it's the Sheriff or Chief of Police. Truth is dozens of people qualify, at both the state and local level. Most of us think state level gives you a little anonymity. I believe Silencer Shop sends theirs to the state AG.

Directly from the instructions on the form:

g. Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the Form 1 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the applicant’s address shown in item 3b of the Form 1. In addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire, for each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.

And this used to be in the FAQ on ATF.gov before they redid the list:

Who may qualify as a certifying official on an ATF Form 1 or ATF Form 4 for the making or transfer of an NFA firearm?
As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.

Circle_10
11-27-18, 08:04
Hmm. Interesting. So by not going with a more local official it kinda keeps you "off the radar" a bit in your community, not a bad idea.

And as far as my title in "Responsible Persons", I guess "Owner" is what I want to put. Seems kinda like a no brainier but with this being my first Form 1 I'm just extra cautious about getting everything right.

Bret
11-27-18, 08:22
Hmm. Interesting. So by not going with a more local official it kinda keeps you "off the radar" a bit in your community, not a bad idea.
I'd say that would depend on your community. I'd much rather let my sheriff know (who'd probably shreds the documents) than to provide a record for someone high up in the state government who's less accountable to me. On the other hand, if my sheriff was a known gun grabber, then I'd send the notification to someone else.

And as far as my title in "Responsible Persons", I guess "Owner" is what I want to put. Seems kinda like a no brainier but with this being my first Form 1 I'm just extra cautious about getting everything right.
When filling out paper Form 1's, I've always just left those blank. Will the e-Form 1 not let you leave them blank?

Circle_10
11-27-18, 09:04
I'd say that would depend on your community. I'd much rather let my sheriff know (who'd probably shreds the documents) than to provide a record for someone high up in the state government who's less accountable to me. On the other hand, if my sheriff was a known gun grabber, then I'd send the notification to someone else.

Considering how blue my state went in the midterms I guess it doesn't really matter who I list as CLEO than. I'll probably just use the sheriff. It's not like he has any say in whether it gets approved anymore.

When filling out paper Form 1's, I've always just left those blank. Will the e-Form 1 not let you leave them blank?

Yeah, on the e-Form Responsible Persons section "Title" is a required field.

Bret
11-27-18, 09:43
Considering how blue my state went in the midterms I guess it doesn't really matter who I list as CLEO than. I'll probably just use the sheriff. It's not like he has any say in whether it gets approved anymore.
If he would sign individual Form 1's before, then I'd probably send him the notification. If not, then you know he's an anti-gunner, so it might be better to keep him in the dark.

OH58D
11-27-18, 15:09

In New Mexico, we use the County Sheriff, not the local town Marshall or Chief of Police. You just drop it off and leave it. Never hear from them again.

CoryCop25
11-30-18, 02:19
SO since the day I started this thread, I was unable to open my Form 1 draft to edit and finish it. I continue to get the same error message when I hit the edit icon.
Tonight I decided to start another Form 1 and I was able to complete it, pay for it and print out the bar code form for prints. I then deleted the original draft.
I will send out the prints today and see what happens!

Circle_10
11-30-18, 22:14
So in the "Firearm Line Item" section where you actually describe the NFA item you are making (SBR in my case) are you supposed to upload images of the firearm or its markings/serial numbers or is it purely optional?
Is it recommended that I do?

OH58D
12-07-18, 11:25
I did my first e-file form 1 on 11/26. Sent in my fingerprint cards on 11/28. My form 1 status on their website is Submitted/Processing. Once they get the fingerprints, does the status change or where do you go to see if they have received and processed the fingerprints?

BigWaylon
12-07-18, 12:28
So in the "Firearm Line Item" section where you actually describe the NFA item you are making (SBR in my case) are you supposed to upload images of the firearm or its markings/serial numbers or is it purely optional?
Is it recommended that I do?
No requirement. And I'm not really sure why you would? I guess I could see it clarify a question about model, but that's about it.

BigWaylon
12-07-18, 12:29
I did my first e-file form 1 on 11/26. Sent in my fingerprint cards on 11/28. My form 1 status on their website is Submitted/Processing. Once they get the fingerprints, does the status change or where do you go to see if they have received and processed the fingerprints?

The next step from S/IP is either Approved or Disapproved. The status won't change.

Most people (I'd guess) are sending the FP cards in via Priority Mail, or something else with tracking...and that's how they know the package was received.

CoryCop25
12-08-18, 19:21
How do you know when they received your fingerprints?

BigWaylon
12-08-18, 20:56
How do you know when they received your fingerprints?

Only by mailing them with tracking and seeing when they're delivered.

CoryCop25
12-09-18, 00:23
thanks!

Circle_10
12-09-18, 04:32
No requirement. And I'm not really sure why you would? I guess I could see it clarify a question about model, but that's about it.

I dunno, since looking it over again the spot where you upload an apparent photo of the firearm/marking/serial number appears to be a required field.
My lower is off being engraved at the moment, but I was hoping to get the bulk of the e-Form filled out in advance and then just finish the process off when I got the lower back.

calimbo
12-10-18, 08:09
Well, here is this very fillable form on the PDFfiller (https://fillable-form-w2.pdffiller.com/) website: https://atf-form-1.pdffiller.com/ You need to purchase the subscription in order to get your one downloaded or sent. Or there might be a free trial, I don't remember for sure

BigWaylon
12-10-18, 13:30
Well, here is this very fillable form on the PDFfiller (https://fillable-form-w2.pdffiller.com/) website: https://atf-form-1.pdffiller.com/ You need to purchase the subscription in order to get your one downloaded or sent. Or there might be a free trial, I don't remember for sure
The one on the ATF site is fillable, and populates the other copies of needed. Just don't use it in the web browser window after you click on it. Save it and open it in regular old Adobe Readed.

tostado22
12-10-18, 15:17
OP, could you update the first post with some of the information gained here? Might help some in the future in the same way of BigWaylon's guide.

How recent do the fingerprints need to be? I work for a PD and I can just do mine at work, but I've got a rifle on it's way for engraving right now before I eFile.

Mr. Goodtimes
12-10-18, 15:19
Any idea on when Form 4’s are going to be able to be efiled again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigWaylon
12-10-18, 17:06
How recent do the fingerprints need to be? I work for a PD and I can just do mine at work, but I've got a rifle on it's way for engraving right now before I eFile.
There's nothing in the regs that say they ever expire. I've heard of some being questioned, but not sure I've ever seen a Disapproval for that single reason.

You could always print up a stack and just not sign/date them until you're ready to submit.

tb-av
12-10-18, 17:21
https://www.esilencers.com/nfa-fingerprint-cards-and-photos/

So we can do our own fingerprints now?

BigWaylon
12-10-18, 17:25
https://www.esilencers.com/nfa-fingerprint-cards-and-photos/

So we can do our own fingerprints now?

Have always been able to...

BigWaylon
12-10-18, 17:26
Any idea on when Form 4’s are going to be able to be efiled again?

I posted this on ARF a couple weeks ago:

FWIW...

Local dealer asked one of the people at the NFA Division about Form 4s being added back into EForms, and here was the reply:

I wish I could say. The bureau is migrating all its IT system to the “cloud”. We are not allowed to do any further development work until after that migrations takes place. The vendor responsible for the migration has not provide a schedule yet, but I suspect it will be well into the first of the year.

We learned a lot form the Form 1 that was recently returned to production. So we hope that the Form 4 will be better with what we learned and with functionality that will be provided by the “cloud”

Thanks for inquiring.

Mr. Goodtimes
12-10-18, 19:33

FWIW...

Local dealer asked one of the people at the NFA Division about Form 4s being added back into EForms, and here was the reply:

I wish I could say. The bureau is migrating all its IT system to the “cloud”. We are not allowed to do any further development work until after that migrations takes place. The vendor responsible for the migration has not provide a schedule yet, but I suspect it will be well into the first of the year.

We learned a lot form the Form 1 that was recently returned to production. So we hope that the Form 4 will be better with what we learned and with functionality that will be provided by the “cloud”

Thanks for inquiring.

So probably not any time soon lol

tb-av
12-10-18, 20:07
Have always been able to...

Thanks!... Learned something else new today. I always thought FPs had to be via official like a local PD.

tb-av
12-10-18, 20:25

FWIW...

Thanks for inquiring.

That actually sounds good. If they can do a Form 1 in 10 days now and they expect better results from the Form 4. Could this mean a used suppressor market? Not that many people actually want to sell them but if everyone was registered someone always wants the latest and greatest. Seems like it would facilitate that sort of dealing. Or maybe even more retail discounts if they can turn more over faster.

I mean we are supposed to get one of the choices. cheap, fast, good. so far it's been... expensive, sloooow, new better model by the time you receive it.

I'm just glad to hear they really are doing something. Restores my faith. Plus if a politician tries to shut down transfers there is all that money spent they will be accountable for. A new computer system is like a new law. Hard to justify getting rid of it.

So our lives will be in the cloud. Cool, if we have a problem we can call Jinping.

Get your T-Shirts now.....
https://www.amazon.com/There-Cloud-Someone-Elses-Computer-x/dp/B01FQJG4Z4

BigWaylon
12-10-18, 21:20
Thanks!... Learned something else new today. I always thought FPs had to be via official like a local PD.
The wording in the regulation (which is also quoted on the forms) is the person must be "properly equipped" to take them. No certification/qualification mentioned. Blank FD-258LE cards and a fingerprint pad sounds properly equipped to me. That's all I use.

Now, in case you (or anybody else) goes to Google the answer and check, you might run across this Q&A: https://www.atf.gov/explosives/qa/how-do-i-get-my-fingerprints-taken. Notice the section it's in...Explosives. Different set of rules.

Being able to do your own prints and photos is why I, and lots of others, said 41F isn't the major hassle some people claim it is. Photos are simple. I print mine on plain paper at home. And anytime I roll prints, I go ahead and do multiple cards...

tb-av
12-10-18, 21:50
Being able to do your own prints and photos is why I, and lots of others, said 41F isn't the major hassle some people claim it is. Photos are simple. I print mine on plain paper at home. And anytime I roll prints, I go ahead and do multiple cards...

I guess I never really pick up on that aspect. Which seems a bit obvious now that you mention it. I always wondered why someone would be ok with the whole background check and then be all upset over finger prints.

boltcatch
12-11-18, 13:30
I guess I never really pick up on that aspect. Which seems a bit obvious now that you mention it. I always wondered why someone would be ok with the whole background check and then be all upset over finger prints.

Well the grand irony is that there effectively is no background check; unless I'm mistaken, at some point FBI just started running people through NICS and tossing the print cards.

A lot of people can't take their own prints to save their life. Lots of ways you can just take a good card and scan it now, though, and print as needed.

Just got some more stamps myself, 11 days from receipt of the print cards to approval.

OH58D
12-15-18, 17:48
So here's another question for an e-file noob. Did my form 1 e-file for an SBR on 26 November. Got a confirmation e-mail indicating it's in Submission/Processing status. Will they send another e-mail for Approval, or do you just have to log in and see if the status has changed? BTW, sent my fingerprints in on 28 November.

BigWaylon
12-15-18, 19:27
So here's another question for an e-file noob. Did my form 1 e-file for an SBR on 26 November. Got a confirmation e-mail indicating it's in Submission/Processing status. Will they send another e-mail for Approval, or do you just have to log in and see if the status has changed? BTW, sent my fingerprints in on 28 November.

They'll send you another one, with the approved form attached.

If you're using the default Mail app on an iDevice, you won't see the attachment. You'll need to log into webmail instead, or download the form from EForms.

OH58D
12-15-18, 21:37
They'll send you another one, with the approved form attached.

If you're using the default Mail app on an iDevice, you won't see the attachment. You'll need to log into webmail instead, or download the form from EForms.
I'm just using my normal Outlook e-mail. Thanks for the quick response.

CoryCop25
12-18-18, 18:04
I did my Efile in 30 November 2018
I sent the prints in Monday 3 December 2018
Prints received 6 December 2018
Received an e-mail that my Form 1 was APPROVED on 15 December 2018
15 days to approval!

Circle_10
01-05-19, 12:41
So how picky are they about the photographs?

After I filed I went to the email that gets sent to me and printed out my copy of the Form 1 and the CLEO copy and realized that for some reason the aspect ratio on my photo was off, being noticeably (in my opinion) compressed vertically.
Now I'm kinda waiting for my Form 1 to get declined because of that

usmcvet
02-18-21, 12:11

My CZ-G2 Bobwhite went pending research. I got an email request for photos. The model had not been through the SBS process yet. I sent photos of my serial number, Huglu the Maker and CZ-USA the importer and the Model Number. It was good to go after that and it's in their system and will auto populate. My Form 4 was denied in July of 2020, they said the photo of me was not there. It was. I called in 4 or 5 times. I was never able to speak to my examiner. The second person I spoke with said she could see my photo. I am re applying today and keep getting an error telling me to select an FFL. I have checked the No FFL box and hit save multiple times. I might just start another application. I will give them a call first to see if they can help me out.

utahjeepr
02-18-21, 12:26
I just filed three F1s. I submitted a photo online, but I sent one passport photo and two print cards per coversheet JIC. I may be glad I did if photos can be an issue.

usmcvet
02-18-21, 12:42
I just filed three F1s. I submitted a photo online, but I sent one passport photo and two print cards per coversheet JIC. I may be glad I did if photos can be an issue.

That's an excellent idea. I will do the same.

Bret
02-18-21, 14:25
My CZ-G2 Bobwhite went pending research. I got an email request for photos. The model had not been through the SBS process yet. I sent photos of my serial number, Huglu the Maker and CZ-USA the importer and the Model Number. It was good to go after that and it's in their system and will auto populate.
When was this? I've been waiting on one since October 27th. I even included all necessary pictures when I e-filed it so they wouldn't have to ask me for them.

usmcvet
02-18-21, 16:19
When was this? I've been waiting on one since October 27th. I even included all necessary pictures when I e-filed it so they wouldn't have to ask me for them.

It was some around June of 2020. It was denied in July. They said I hadn't uploaded a photo of myself. I had. I tried to squary that away. I couldn't. I decided I wanted to get this SBS project back on track. It will look something like this once it's done. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210218/6a710211eafb10422d5fb6ccfa7ac648.jpg

utahjeepr
02-18-21, 17:09
It was some around June of 2020. It was denied in July. They said I hadn't uploaded a photo of myself. I had. I tried to squary that away. I couldn't. I decided I wanted to get this SBS project back on track. It will look something like this once it's done. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210218/6a710211eafb10422d5fb6ccfa7ac648.jpg

There is a part of me that really wants a SBS double like that. I'm getting professional help for that part of me, but I don't think it's going to stick.

usmcvet
02-18-21, 20:05
There is a part of me that really wants a SBS double like that. I'm getting professional help for that part of me, but I don't think it's going to stick.

I'm resisting the urge to buy or have a SBR lever gun built!

L-2
02-19-21, 15:32
Here are some of my thoughts or experiences with the Form 1 eFile process.
The first time I used eFile was back in 10/2020. I "made" my 870 Tac-14 into an SBS (short barrel shotgun). The process took a total of 17 days from submission to approval. During this time, I got my receiver engraved. I already had the tools and parts (just an old stock laying around) to readily remove my existing arm brace and replace it with a stock.

The 2nd attempt at eFile was a frustrating disaster. I thought I submitted my eFiled Form 1 to "make" an AR pistol into an SBR. After a few attempts using my Safari browser (Chrome didn't work) I seemed to have gotten my Form 1 submitted, but with the caveat of it being held for further investigation.

I'd typed in my own description as to what I'd bought (basically an off the shelf BCM AR pistol) as the existing descriptions in the eFile drop-down-menu didn't have exactly what I'd bought. As I wanted to be accurate, I was prepared for a bit of an extra wait for ATF to get it right with the description. The ATF website merely said "further investigation" will cause a delay in processing, but didn't give an estimate as to how long.

During the next 3 months of waiting and checking the ATF website, there was no activity regarding my submission. I called and spoke with the ATF customer service telephone personnel 4 or 5 times. The first couple of times, the call-takers just said to wait and they believed things would go through just fine. Another time, a call-taker told me ATF was now taking 90 days to process such forms needing investigation, but to keep looking for an email which would next tell me to send in my fingerprint cards.

After ~3 months, I called again and the call-taker, this time, said there was nothing happening with my assigned Form 1 "I.D." number. No forthcoming permit number had ever been issued either with the I.D. number or firearm's serial number. He advised I resubmit again using something from the existing drop-down menu description; and to separately send a request to cancel the original "I.D." number to get a refund of my initial $200 for the SBR.

This time, the SBR paperwork went through in ~month (1/14/21 to 2/19/21) and I just received the email with tax stamp approval paperwork this morning (at ~0321 hours Pacific time, btw).

If at all possible, I recommend submitting a Form1 eFile, but only if using an existing description from ATF website's drop down menu even if you don't feel it's exactly accurate.

Also, my problems were likely also related to ATF's website constantly crashing while trying to input the data to submit the eForm1.

Regarding the refund, I never got a response from ATF regarding my refund request but I then contacted my credit card company (AMEX) to dispute the charge and the charge was immediately refunded, although pending futher research and response from ATF (if they ever even get one).

I'm probably left or forgotten some details but I've finally received the SBR approval and took ~10 minutes to find a spare stock laying around; remove the arm brace; and install the collapsible stock instead.

It can all be frustrating with:
-ATF website (very frustrating and getting the expected $200 charge to credit card)
-getting fingerprints taken (not too bad in Nevada)
-FEDEX or UPS to send the fingerprint cards (getting a tracking number and yet paying more money, but not too bad)
-ensuring the fingerprint card package was received (routine)
-then waiting a month or so (very frustrating as the call-takers don't have much info or advice, meanwhile you're out $200 but do have a pending tax stamp number even though you can't really use just the number).

I suppose I'd feel much better if I'd only have to have waited ~month and the previous 3 months weren't "lost" with my initial SBR submission going into "limbo".

Circle_10
02-21-21, 20:14
^ damn what a pain in the ass that sounds like. I submitted my second SBR Form 1 via Efile in January and it went to “Pending Research” due to the make of lower apparently not being in their manufacturer database. I wonder if I’ve got a similar headache coming my way.

Bret
02-21-21, 20:56
Pending research seems to be a bottomless pit these days. The thing is that if they actually kept up with them, they'd have far fewer that go pending research.

Bret
02-25-21, 14:34
My pending research from October 27th just changed to submitted status. So that's just shy of four months. At least they're moving.

usmcvet
02-25-21, 18:43
Here are some of my thoughts or experiences with the Form 1 eFile process.
The first time I used eFile was back in 10/2020. I "made" my 870 Tac-14 into an SBS (short barrel shotgun). The process took a total of 17 days from submission to approval. During this time, I got my receiver engraved. I already had the tools and parts (just an old stock laying around) to readily remove my existing arm brace and replace it with a stock.

The 2nd attempt at eFile was a frustrating disaster. I thought I submitted my eFiled Form 1 to "make" an AR pistol into an SBR. After a few attempts using my Safari browser (Chrome didn't work) I seemed to have gotten my Form 1 submitted, but with the caveat of it being held for further investigation.

I'd typed in my own description as to what I'd bought (basically an off the shelf BCM AR pistol) as the existing descriptions in the eFile drop-down-menu didn't have exactly what I'd bought. As I wanted to be accurate, I was prepared for a bit of an extra wait for ATF to get it right with the description. The ATF website merely said "further investigation" will cause a delay in processing, but didn't give an estimate as to how long.

During the next 3 months of waiting and checking the ATF website, there was no activity regarding my submission. I called and spoke with the ATF customer service telephone personnel 4 or 5 times. The first couple of times, the call-takers just said to wait and they believed things would go through just fine. Another time, a call-taker told me ATF was now taking 90 days to process such forms needing investigation, but to keep looking for an email which would next tell me to send in my fingerprint cards.

After ~3 months, I called again and the call-taker, this time, said there was nothing happening with my assigned Form 1 "I.D." number. No forthcoming permit number had ever been issued either with the I.D. number or firearm's serial number. He advised I resubmit again using something from the existing drop-down menu description; and to separately send a request to cancel the original "I.D." number to get a refund of my initial $200 for the SBR.

This time, the SBR paperwork went through in ~month (1/14/21 to 2/19/21) and I just received the email with tax stamp approval paperwork this morning (at ~0321 hours Pacific time, btw).

If at all possible, I recommend submitting a Form1 eFile, but only if using an existing description from ATF website's drop down menu even if you don't feel it's exactly accurate.

Also, my problems were likely also related to ATF's website constantly crashing while trying to input the data to submit the eForm1.

Regarding the refund, I never got a response from ATF regarding my refund request but I then contacted my credit card company (AMEX) to dispute the charge and the charge was immediately refunded, although pending futher research and response from ATF (if they ever even get one).

I'm probably left or forgotten some details but I've finally received the SBR approval and took ~10 minutes to find a spare stock laying around; remove the arm brace; and install the collapsible stock instead.

It can all be frustrating with:
-ATF website (very frustrating and getting the expected $200 charge to credit card)
-getting fingerprints taken (not too bad in Nevada)
-FEDEX or UPS to send the fingerprint cards (getting a tracking number and yet paying more money, but not too bad)
-ensuring the fingerprint card package was received (routine)
-then waiting a month or so (very frustrating as the call-takers don't have much info or advice, meanwhile you're out $200 but do have a pending tax stamp number even though you can't really use just the number).

I suppose I'd feel much better if I'd only have to have waited ~month and the previous 3 months weren't "lost" with my initial SBR submission going into "limbo".

The form should take less than five minutes to fill out. Not an hour or more. The frequent crashing is VERY frustrating.

utahjeepr
02-25-21, 19:12
The form should take less than five minutes to fill out. Not an hour or more. The frequent crashing is VERY frustrating.

Has anyone else gotten the "Due to reported errors... site will be shutting down for maintenance." BLIP gone?