PDA

View Full Version : AK Mag Info....

Razorhunter
11-02-08, 13:12
So I finally found an SA M7 Carbine last night guys. A private seller replied to my WTB ad, and I've already got payment in the overnight box en route to seller.
I had to pay more than I COULD have scored one for if I had waited a little longer, but it's NIB/UNFIRED, and has all accessories, except for the original box.
I have HEARD that Arsenal sells boxes for their AK's for $15, but I don't know if that's true or not???
Anyhow, I am trying to decide which mags to buy. Here is a short list I'm looking at:

1. Bulgarian Circle 10 "Waffle" Mags. (we all know these are good)

2. Hungarian steel "ribbed" mags. I also know these are good, but a little heavier.

Here are some others I've come across, that LOOK to be good, but I'm not sure about:

3. Bulgarian Steel (I think they are steel?), also ribbed. Look just like the Hungarians. Here's a link: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=114972092
What do you think of these? I figure since they are Bulgarian, they should be good, right? Or would the Hungarian steel mags be better?

Also,
4. Bulgarian Clear SLABSIDED mags. (these are not the clear waffle mags everyone would love to have, but rather something I've only recently come across, shown below.) What do you guys think??? I have seen Bulgarian BLACK "Slabsided" mags before, but not clear. Are these the SAME mag, but only in clear? How do these compare the black "Waffle" mags???
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ak7630clsmma.html

5. Another clear mag: "Saiga 7.62x39 clear mags" by "surefire"??? Pricey I know, but what do you guys think about quality/function???
http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_34_80&products_id=723

Finally,

6. Polytech mags. Steel, ribbed also I believe. I THINK I always see them listed as having chrome followers, but I don't know if this is unique to these mags, OR if the other steel Hungarian/Bulgarians also have chrome followers.
I personally wouldn't want to stock up on these, due to the prices they usually bring.
Sure wish I could find some of the Clear Bulgarian "Waffle" mags though. I've just always had an eye for them I guess, but they are quite rare, so I
I will certainly be fine with black "waffle" mags.
I really wanted to start this thread to inquire about #'s 3, 4, and 5 up above, to see what you guys thought???
Thanks for the help guys.

nickdrak
11-02-08, 14:21
Paul,

I would stick with the Bulgy circle "10" waffle mags and call it a day. They work well, and are damn near bullet proof.

Spooky130
11-02-08, 16:34
Paul,

I would stick with the Bulgy circle "10" waffle mags and call it a day. They work well, and are damn near bullet proof.

Agreed. I also wouldn't hesitate to use the Hungarian or Bulgarian steel mags. I would stay away from all non-military style polymer mags - the clear ones and the "bullet" mags. They aren't nearly as good as the circle 10 mags.

Spooky

Razorhunter
11-02-08, 16:41
I hear ya. Thanks guys.
As for your username "Spooky130".
I assume you were a Spooky pilot or gunner/crewmember/etc at one time? Cool bro....

Dave L.
11-02-08, 16:44
Paul,

+1
...and stock pile the shit out of them.

Razorhunter
11-02-08, 16:45
One more thing guys.
I am actually thinking of buying some of the following mags, which I saw listed on TOS. Let me know if they are good to go.
Here is the description:

"Black Bulgarian (Circle 10) 7.62X39 30-round waffle mag - New

$20 each

Shipping = actual cost (USPS priority mail insured)

Early 1990s production
Correct plastic follower with square cutout
#2 or #1 on mag body
Circle 10 logo on mag body"

The only reason I ask, is because of their age (early 90's production). I just wanted to make SURE that the olders ones are GTG, and there is no reason to buy newer circle 10 waffle mags instead?? Are they all the same, or are the newer one's updated somehow to be better????

The only other mags I wanted to inquire about, are the "Bakelite" mags. I never thought I would have any interest in them, until Templar went and posted some SWEET pics of his SLR 105 (I think) with some bakelite mags on another forum. Those bakelite mags (even in 5.45) looked beautiful against the black finish of his SLR 105. I don't know what it was, but they looked spectacular on that black AK.
SO, is there a source for quality bakelite's in 7.62x39???? I don't even know WHO makes bakelites? Are they Russian and Chinese imports only???
Thanks so much for the help guys..

Storydude
11-09-08, 21:21
Bakalite mags START at 125 bucks and go up from there.

I prefer the 12 dollar European ones.

f.2
11-10-08, 09:21
The new in wrapper Bulgarian steel magazines have plastic followers. Most of the other steel magazines have metal followers.

I had to return a polymer 5.45x39 45rd Bulgarian circle 10 waffle mag because it would not fit into either a NDS-2SF or NDS-2 NoDak Spud receiver build. I'm sure I could have shaved something down on the mag to make it fit but I didn't want to mess with it. Steel Tantal 5.45 mags fit both receivers. EG 5.45 bakelite mags fit both, but some won't fit into the NDS-2 or 2SF. Some polymer Polish 5.45 mags won't fit one of the 5.45 receivers. Almost all plum Izhmash mags fit both. All of my Hungarian and Romanian steel 7.62x39 mags fit all 7.62 AKs. Don't have any polymer 7.62 mags.

So far all of my steel magazines work in any receiver, 5.45 or 7.62. Some non-steel 5.45 mags; bakelite or polymer, will not all fit both receivers.

JohnN
11-10-08, 10:25
I have had to shave the back of the feed lips down numerous times on the Circle 10 mags in order for them to fit properly in my Vector. Most steel mags fit fine. Once modified they functioned perfectly. Vector is willing to solve the problem but 5 minutes or less with a file has always fixed the fit issue.

Medicine Calf
11-10-08, 11:36
The new in wrapper Bulgarian steel magazines have plastic followers. Most of the other steel magazines have metal followers.

I had to return a polymer 5.45x39 45rd Bulgarian circle 10 waffle mag because it would not fit into either a NDS-2SF or NDS-2 NoDak Spud receiver build. I'm sure I could have shaved something down on the mag to make it fit but I didn't want to mess with it. Steel Tantal 5.45 mags fit both receivers. EG 5.45 bakelite mags fit both, but some won't fit into the NDS-2 or 2SF. Some polymer Polish 5.45 mags won't fit one of the 5.45 receivers. Almost all plum Izhmash mags fit both. All of my Hungarian and Romanian steel 7.62x39 mags fit all 7.62 AKs. Don't have any polymer 7.62 mags.

So far all of my steel magazines work in any receiver, 5.45 or 7.62. Non-steel 5.45 mags; bakelite or polymer, will not all fit both receivers.

Good info on mag fit. I have a ten pack of the new steel Bulgarian's incoming, and will report back once they arrive. They say the polymer follower is pretty sturdy, and that the steel shells may or may not be thinner than the older mags. Have thought of looking into Circle 10s, but am trying hard to keep things simple.

chuckles
11-10-08, 14:50
I have a SAS M7 and the Circle 10 mags fit and function perfectly. They will be perfect on your Arsenal. Buy the heck out of them.

Spooky130
11-10-08, 21:02
I hear ya. Thanks guys.
As for your username "Spooky130".
I assume you were a Spooky pilot or gunner/crewmember/etc at one time? Cool bro....

Just wish to do that someday... But the days are running out...

As for bakelites... 7.62s are available today at several places. They generally run between $60 and $90. Here are a couple good sources:
www.rusmilitary.com
http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/ - you just have to get a price list from Tantal...

Spooky

Medicine Calf
11-10-08, 21:41
I just ordered a few genuine Circle 10s from DS Arms for $20 each.

http://www.dsarms.com/

Spooky130
11-11-08, 08:46
I just ordered a few genuine Circle 10s from DS Arms for $20 each.

http://www.dsarms.com/

Thanks for the heads up - I might grab a couple more...

Spooky

Medicine Calf
11-11-08, 09:50
Just got off the phone and they don't have live inventory, and are several days behind in processing orders.

Razorhunter
11-11-08, 18:35
What do you mean by "live inventory"???
Do you mean they don't have current inventory SHOWN ONLINE? OR, do you mean they cannot even tell you over the phone, if the mags are in stock???
Thanks.

bluedog
11-11-08, 20:32
I would just order from Copes.

Medicine Calf
11-11-08, 23:37
What do you mean by "live inventory"???
Do you mean they don't have current inventory SHOWN ONLINE? OR, do you mean they cannot even tell you over the phone, if the mags are in stock???
Thanks.

Right, both. When I called I spoke to two salespersons who would or could not check inventory, because they were so backed up with orders.

buzz_knox
11-12-08, 07:56
Arsenal mags are hard to come by now. They aren't shipping much of anything, and what is there sells out quickly.

K-VAR still has some Circle 10 7.62 mags though.

Razorhunter
11-22-08, 09:43
Hey guys,
I've got two more AK mags, which I'd like to inquire about:

Take a look at this Copes link, and scroll down to the NEXT to last row of mags on the page. (the second row from bottom, of course).
You will see "Saiga Magazines", and when you click on the description, it states "Surefire" as the manufacturer, and I've not heard of them before.
???? Are these QUALITY mags, or crap? I figure they are probably higher quality than the cheap ProMags, but you never know??? I like them, because they are not only offered in black, but clear as well.

Secondly, can anyone tell me about parts that are advertised as "Saiga" parts???
I mean, do these mags ONLY work in Saiga AK's???
How about OTHER "Saiga" AK parts? I've seen a number of AK parts on various websites, which show "Saiga" parts, and I have always wondered if these "Saiga" parts ONLY work on Saiga AK's, or if they also work on most other AK's????

Copes Link: http://www.copesdistributing.net/index.php?cPath=32_34_80

TOrrock
11-22-08, 10:07
Hey guys,
I've got two more AK mags, which I'd like to inquire about:

Take a look at this Copes link, and scroll down to the NEXT to last row of mags on the page. (the second row from bottom, of course).
You will see "Saiga Magazines", and when you click on the description, it states "Surefire" as the manufacturer, and I've not heard of them before.
???? Are these QUALITY mags, or crap? I figure they are probably higher quality than the cheap ProMags, but you never know??? I like them, because they are not only offered in black, but clear as well.

Secondly, can anyone tell me about parts that are advertised as "Saiga" parts???
I mean, do these mags ONLY work in Saiga AK's???
How about OTHER "Saiga" AK parts? I've seen a number of AK parts on various websites, which show "Saiga" parts, and I have always wondered if these "Saiga" parts ONLY work on Saiga AK's, or if they also work on most other AK's????

Copes Link: http://www.copesdistributing.net/index.php?cPath=32_34_80

They only work in SAIGA's.

Stick with foreign military steel mags (any country of origin, they'll work), or Arsenal Bulgaria "waffle pattern" polymer mags with the double circle 10 proof.

Medicine Calf
11-22-08, 13:23
I'm surprised you're still looking around. The AK mag un-inventory is slowly catching up to the AR.

Razorhunter
11-22-08, 18:05
I'm surprised you're still looking around. .

Well, I'm not actually. I've acquired 10 Bulgy Circle 10 waffle mags and 10 Bulgarian steel mags just this week alone. Got another small batch coming next week as well, and I don't plan on stocking up on any other type of mag, unless I could get my hands on some other color Waffle mags, or some quality Clear AK mags. (which, to my knowledge, the only quality clear mag is a Bulgy circle 10, which is QUITE rare in 7.62).
I was simply enjoying my evening, and thought I'd inquire about some other types of mags in the post above. It's good to be educated, on ALL types of mags/accessories/etc on the market.
With the clear Bulgys being unavailable, I wanted to confirm those Surefires would only work in Saigas.
The only other clear mag option would be Promag, which isn't on my WTB list...
I come across products all the time, and it's nice to come here and discuss/compare/evaluate them with others, who have used them, or know more about them and their quality/fit/function/purpose/etc.