PDA

View Full Version : How far we’ve come....

Firefly
11-25-18, 11:00
and how we pissed it all away...

I used to be pretty active here. I remember a time when we were seriously discussing things like cash and carry suppressors, visa free travel to Russia, world peace, and like this grand new morning of America where it was like Starship Troopers but without the war and focused only on the prosperity.

Now everyone has an attitude and looking back, all that talk sounds like pipe dreams. Like everyone was hitting up a crack pipe and popping Miley and just oozing all these ideas.

Welp. None of that happened, there’s no more middle ground and everything is this uphill struggle just to do basic stuff that we all took for granted.

I am totally turned off to “the gun scene” and could not possibly care less about castle but staking. If I had to choose between attending a 30 hour seminar on how paint dries vs 30 minutes of castle nuts then I will come out knowing more about the settling and drying of Stucko than anyone else on my block.

But the thesis really is that to those whom I associated with, I wish a petty humbug didn’t divide us so. It has been a year of loss. A year I try to forget. To those who got the best of me with the bait. Hope it was fun. Shan’t happen again.

I do challenge you all to be a buddy to the next generation to preserve the constant assail of our civil liberties. No SEAL challenge. No politics. Just let someone enjoy some fun and learn a proud and practical discipline.

But not all bad. I did get that 92G Vertec back.

#SigsAreChumpbait
#P226sAreABigLie
#ItJustIsn’t1992Anymore

I think that’s all I need. My G34, my Vertec, My SR25 and my 6.8 SPC II.

No fads of Grendel’s or Creedmores. Just good, honest 110 grains of utility.

Am I back? Naw, just felt like being a low-key motivator.

Also, stahp with the blue line Punisher skulls. Learn more verbal judo.

Outlander Systems
11-25-18, 12:13
>daily reminder that the United States Army never met a Sig product it didn’t like

contax_shooter
11-25-18, 12:54

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1745/28018862587_f1f720fa19_o.jpg

Firefly
11-25-18, 13:28
https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1745/28018862587_f1f720fa19_o.jpg

If you recall, that ECC no joke got me laid from the shopgirl who did the transfer once she saw the invoice.

I defy anyone to say HK or Colt did that.
In exchange for two years of being on the wait list; KAC not only gave me a heckuva 7.62 blaster but it got me some early 20s skirt.

Your Denis Nedry macro is invalid, sir

Firefly
11-25-18, 13:35
>daily reminder that the United States Army never met a Sig product it didn’t like

Sig has made a lot of money off of a lot of people thanks to Cohen.

SAN is good stuff as in their rifles, but their pistols can KMA. Ridding myself of my Sig was like finding the cure to some bizarre communicable disease.

I even had a Maya Angelou styled poem that illustrated vividly my freedom from Sig.

P320s/M17s are a blight upon the world and are proof that we have drifted too far from God.

No amount of anime girls in MAGA hats will ever make them cool. Even if Bailey Jay herself came out in a multicam bikini and personally shot all of ISIL, Red China, and even time traveled to Vietnam and won it single handedly with nothing but a P320 would make them cool.

But Bailey Jay is a Glock girl anyways like all good-hearted people

Outlander Systems
11-25-18, 13:43
This is, singlehandedly, the best post on M4C, short of the, “I prefer 14.88” barrels for optimum gassing.”

Well done, Sir. Well done.

Sig has made a lot of money off of a lot of people thanks to Cohen.

SAN is good stuff as in their rifles, but their pistols can KMA. Ridding myself of my Sig was like finding the cure to some bizarre communicable disease.

I even had a Maya Angelou styled poem that illustrated vividly my freedom from Sig.

P320s/M17s are a blight upon the world and are proof that we have drifted too far from God.

No amount of anime girls in MAGA hats will ever make them cool. Even if Bailey Jay herself came out in a multicam bikini and personally shot all of ISIL, Red China, and even time traveled to Vietnam and won it single handedly with nothing but a P320 would make them cool.

But Bailey Jay is a Glock girl anyways like all good-hearted people

Firefly
11-25-18, 13:48
......was it an HK barrel?

WickedWillis
11-25-18, 14:29
It's been a super odd year. I always thought you were a good member Firefly. And Bailey would trap the hell out of me, or so I would tell my friends.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-25-18, 14:31
Remember the 10.3" vs 10.5" debates? Man those were good times.

If you guys need be I'll be rechecking my castle nut staking and staggering gas rings.

Firefly
11-25-18, 21:19
The overall thesis is, and you know who you are, I feel poorly for our disagreements and hope you are all well. It’s just....been a hell of a year. You’re all good people. Sometimes our better angels don’t keep up.

Except Doug. F Doug. None of you know Doug and are better off for it

AKDoug
11-25-18, 21:42
Da fuq did I do?

SteyrAUG
11-25-18, 21:49
If you recall, that ECC no joke got me laid from the shopgirl who did the transfer once she saw the invoice.

In exchange for two years of being on the wait list; KAC not only gave me a heckuva 7.62 blaster but it got me some early 20s skirt.

I do believe my MP5 might have had sufficient CDI factor to have gotten me laid a time or two. Anyway, glad you're back, never got the back story of what actually happened, probably don't want to know.

As far as guns talk or gun politics, I have more fun talking movies and such with interesting people who actually know a few things.

Firefly
11-25-18, 21:55
Da fuq did I do?

It was another Doug. You know the guy with the hair who does that thing

AKDoug
11-25-18, 22:00
It was another Doug. You know the guy with the hair who does that thing

Forgot to put the required smiley on my post. Welcome back.

kerplode
11-26-18, 15:05
I'm happy to see you posting again...Hope you've been well!

ramairthree
11-26-18, 16:39
I’ll be the forum black sheep you all can unite against if you come back FF.
I will promise at least one crazy, interesting, shit posting, attention attracting, fun to get in onGD thread a week.

I just got recalled from active duty as as the O6 with three years TOG and 30 plus YOS I would have been if I did not retire to command the Tier 1 DA element of Space Force. They literally just counted my rank, time of service and stuff up like I had never retired because it was all a ruse and even I did not know I was not actually retired to cement my cover as a retired guy.

I just finished the SEAL Scout Sniper course and get to keep my SR25 in 300 Win Mag and my special issue full auto M17 in Serpa chest holster at home with me. It is the greatest pistol ever designed in the history of small arms and I have sold off my pair of 93Rs since I got it.

Come at me ‘bro.

Firefly
11-26-18, 17:04
I wasn’t a black sheep. I just got accused of being a hipster and on acid a lot. I just lost track of some decent blokes and had quite a year.

But I know you are just having my back. I mean, it’s not like I’ve been grooming a Gadaffi style harem army in Belize to set myself up as a god in a Native land untouched by white man. I’d like to think I would pull a Kurtz but...I’m only human

I think 99% of my flak is that I know that Thin Red Line is superior in every way to the propagandist SPR.

Like...,one day me and Euro are gonna take our Garlands and old WWII fatigues and live amongst Guinea men who have no concept of hate.

sgtrock82
11-26-18, 18:28
I think 99% of my flak is that I know that Thin Red Line is superior in every way to the propagandist SPR.

This.

I thought for sure youre endorsement would elevate the opinion of this movie, if only on this forum. Alas their visceral disgust at anything but chest thumping, firecracking, cold beer poppin, wovles howling, bimbo's swooing, flag waving american victory, steam rolled your stand in a way not seen since Tiananmen square.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

flenna
11-26-18, 18:43

Funny you say that. My father, a decorated career Marine who did three tours in Viet Nam, says the same exact thing.

SteyrAUG
11-26-18, 18:51

Like...,one day me and Euro are gonna take our Garlands and old WWII fatigues and live amongst Guinea men who have no concept of hate.

Aside from being the second movie to depict an more accurate version of combat conditions, Saving Private Ryan was mostly revisionist history but I don't think it's fair to dismiss it completely as "propagandist."

As for "The Thin Red Line", aside from a single scene of the Japanese coming out of the jungle, it was one of the most painfully boring films I've ever seen. If course TRD was also fiction and suffered under the direction of Terrence Malick and one could make the same "propagandist" claims about that film as well.

ramairthree
11-26-18, 19:13
TRL vs SPR discussions are pointless.

The greatest and most epic combat/battle story ever captured on film would be the All For One arc were Magnum, Rick, TC, and Higgins go to Cambodia to rescue Americans captured by Vietnamese soldiers.

Coal Dragger
11-26-18, 20:10

The Thin Red Line is definitely superior to Saving Private Ryan. The only really well done part of SPR is the initial invasion scene.

Neither of them are as good (in my opinion) as Flags of Our Fathers, and I thought Letters From Iwo Jima was even better still.

Coal Dragger
11-26-18, 20:14
I’ll be the forum black sheep you all can unite against if you come back FF.
I will promise at least one crazy, interesting, shit posting, attention attracting, fun to get in onGD thread a week.

I just got recalled from active duty as as the O6 with three years TOG and 30 plus YOS I would have been if I did not retire to command the Tier 1 DA element of Space Force. They literally just counted my rank, time of service and stuff up like I had never retired because it was all a ruse and even I did not know I was not actually retired to cement my cover as a retired guy.

I just finished the SEAL Scout Sniper course and get to keep my SR25 in 300 Win Mag and my special issue full auto M17 in Serpa chest holster at home with me. It is the greatest pistol ever designed in the history of small arms and I have sold off my pair of 93Rs since I got it.

Come at me ‘bro.

I am deeply offended that you didn’t notify me of your sale of those 93R’s. I really wanted them for their historical value, having been your sidearms when you single handedly saved all of DevGru on the Bin Laden mission dual wielding them like a boss.

Firefly
11-26-18, 21:18
I must agree about Magnum. They used Lord of the Rings names as callsigns.

TRL vs SPR is like 9mm vs 45 discussions. Redundant since the 90s.

One WWII Film that really I got into was The Young Warriors. It recycled a LOT of footage from the Audie Murphy movie but it was subversive for a 1960s WWII film. It was kinda like Platoon but for real and was based off the dude who made I Am Legend’s WWII experiences. I just liked the crazy kid with the BAR and the part where dude who hates his Sergeant starts stacking rifles and clips and suits up pineapple grenades to mount a last stand to save him as he is injured and can’t di di mau

MountainRaven
11-26-18, 22:21
I mean, it’s not like I’ve been grooming a Gadaffi style harem army in Belize to set myself up as a god in a Native land untouched by white man. I’d like to think I would pull a Kurtz but...I’m only human

I'm glad to have you back but words cannot describe my disappointment that you aren't doing this.

This.

I thought for sure youre endorsement would elevate the opinion of this movie, if only on this forum. Alas their visceral disgust at anything but chest thumping, firecracking, cold beer poppin, wovles howling, bimbo's swooing, flag waving american victory, steam rolled your stand in a way not seen since Tiananmen square.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Jellybean
11-26-18, 22:49
and how we pissed it all away...I remember a time when we were seriously discussing things like cash and carry suppressors, visa free travel to Russia, world peace, and like this grand new morning of America where it was like Starship Troopers but without the war and focused only on the prosperity.

Now everyone has an attitude and looking back, all that talk sounds like pipe dreams. Like everyone was hitting up a crack pipe and popping Miley and just oozing all these ideas.

Welp. None of that happened, there’s no more middle ground and everything is this uphill struggle just to do basic stuff that we all took for granted...

I do challenge you all to be a buddy to the next generation to preserve the constant assail of our civil liberties. No SEAL challenge. No politics. Just let someone enjoy some fun and learn a proud and practical discipline....Also, stahp with the blue line Punisher skulls. Learn more verbal judo.

Yeah, well then the screaming kids in the other room had to barge in and set everything on fire, so no. Now nothing can be easy. I mean, let's be fair, we let the lefty's drag us down with stupidity and then beat us with experience.
No amount of verbal ju-jitsu is gonna save anything from the rabid asshats. Lest anyone hasn't noticed, they're not listening anymore. You can't "educate" your way out of this....
The only "grand new morning" is the "brave new world" taking shape.

But yeah...the endless variations of Punisher skull MUST be stopped...so cringey. :bad:

Oh, come now. Everyone knows HK brings all the operator bunnies to the yard... :laugh:

SteyrAUG
11-27-18, 01:18
I must agree about Magnum. They used Lord of the Rings names as callsigns.

TRL vs SPR is like 9mm vs 45 discussions. Redundant since the 90s.

One WWII Film that really I got into was The Young Warriors. It recycled a LOT of footage from the Audie Murphy movie but it was subversive for a 1960s WWII film. It was kinda like Platoon but for real and was based off the dude who made I Am Legend’s WWII experiences. I just liked the crazy kid with the BAR and the part where dude who hates his Sergeant starts stacking rifles and clips and suits up pineapple grenades to mount a last stand to save him as he is injured and can’t di di mau

If you haven't seen it, check out "When Trumpets Fade" (1998), it was an incredible film but got eclipsed by Saving Private Ryan the same year.

Oh, come now. Everyone knows HK brings all the operator bunnies to the yard... :laugh:

Damn right, it's better than yours.

MountainRaven
11-27-18, 12:40
If you haven't seen it, check out "When Trumpets Fade" (1998), it was an incredible film but got eclipsed by Saving Private Ryan the same year.

I tried watching that once, last year, right after I got my Garand, after I got tired of rewatching episodes of Band of Brothers and The Pacific, and Saving Private Ryan, A Bridge Too Far, &c.

I couldn't make it through, because the story seemed super cheese and the movie was boring (to me). Plus, IIRC, all the Garands had T105E1 rear sights on them.

hotrodder636
11-27-18, 13:37
Welcome back. Hope you stick around. Enjoy reading your humor.

HeruMew
11-27-18, 15:01
Welcome back. Figured this thread would get a kick out of this irony of all things:

https://media.makeameme.org/created/punisher-skulls-punisher.jpg

The_War_Wagon
11-27-18, 15:30
And NOW you can get "White Tiger" for free. On Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiGDJ5-dXaI

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-27-18, 16:09
One of the worst war movies I've watched was Pearl Harbor. I took a girl I was seeing at the time to it and it was so bad, I got up and went out and played video games in the lobby of the theater. I don't even like video games. Anyway, it made her so mad that I walked out of "one of her movies" that she said she wasn't going to ride home with me and she'd get her Mom to come get her. So I left. Turns out, she didn't think I would leave, and she began calling my cell phone, which was powered off and in the glove box, back in the day when people didn't carry them everywhere. The relationship soured soon after and I started dating my future wife about 6 months later.

So maybe Pearl Harbor, the movie not the event, might not be so bad after all since it helped me dodge a bullet with that screeching banshee.

Firefly
11-27-18, 17:14
Will check out White Tiger when I have time. I saw When Trumpets Fade in the 90s. Didn’t it have Ricky Schroeder or some 80s kid star in it?

Lotsa Russian action movies on YouTube. I saw one miniseries called Caravan Hunters about like....I dunno if they were Soviet Cav Scouts or what but they weren’t Spetsnaz or anything. They had BDRMs and whatnot. Hunting Haji. Like...9th Company but also like Tour of Duty. That and Slatchye or Sleepers. It’s like The Americans but in present day with the CIA doing spy stuff in Russia.

The first two seasons of The Americans were good but it started making me angry when they kept getting away with it

SteyrAUG
11-27-18, 17:30
I tried watching that once, last year, right after I got my Garand, after I got tired of rewatching episodes of Band of Brothers and The Pacific, and Saving Private Ryan, A Bridge Too Far, &c.

I couldn't make it through, because the story seemed super cheese and the movie was boring (to me). Plus, IIRC, all the Garands had T105E1 rear sights on them.

Well the story was pretty accurate regarding the Battle of the Hurtgen Forest. I try not to let minor technical inaccuracies ruin otherwise good movies, for example those weren't actual Mitsubishi A6M fighters being flown in "Tora, Tora, Tora" but it remains one of the best movies about the war.

SteyrAUG
11-27-18, 17:32
Will check out White Tiger when I have time. I saw When Trumpets Fade in the 90s. Didn’t it have Ricky Schroeder or some 80s kid star in it?

You are probably thinking of "The Lost Battalion" which was a WWI film.

jpmuscle
11-27-18, 21:02
and how we pissed it all away...

I used to be pretty active here. I remember a time when we were seriously discussing things like cash and carry suppressors, visa free travel to Russia, world peace, and like this grand new morning of America where it was like Starship Troopers but without the war and focused only on the prosperity.

Welp. None of that happened, there’s no more middle ground and everything is this uphill struggle just to do basic stuff that we all took for granted.

I am totally turned off to “the gun scene” and could not possibly care less about castle but staking. If I had to choose between attending a 30 hour seminar on how paint dries vs 30 minutes of castle nuts then I will come out knowing more about the settling and drying of Stucko than anyone else on my block.

But the thesis really is that to those whom I associated with, I wish a petty humbug didn’t divide us so. It has been a year of loss. A year I try to forget. To those who got the best of me with the bait. Hope it was fun. Shan’t happen again.

I do challenge you all to be a buddy to the next generation to preserve the constant assail of our civil liberties. No SEAL challenge. No politics. Just let someone enjoy some fun and learn a proud and practical discipline.

But not all bad. I did get that 92G Vertec back.

#SigsAreChumpbait
#P226sAreABigLie
#ItJustIsn’t1992Anymore

No fads of Grendel’s or Creedmores. Just good, honest 110 grains of utility.

Am I back? Naw, just felt like being a low-key motivator.

Also, stahp with the blue line Punisher skulls. Learn more verbal judo.

I miss you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex V
11-27-18, 21:58
My god I've missed you Firefly!

Honu
11-27-18, 23:01
for movies always liked this one for a dif look at Yammamoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrGE0DxDBuY

Honu
11-27-18, 23:09

Lotsa Russian action movies on YouTube. I saw one miniseries called Caravan Hunters about like....I dunno if they were Soviet Cav Scouts or what but they weren’t Spetsnaz or anything. They had BDRMs and whatnot. Hunting Haji. Like...9th Company but also like Tour of Duty. That and Slatchye or Sleepers. It’s like The Americans but in present day with the CIA doing spy stuff in Russia.

The first two seasons of The Americans were good but it started making me angry when they kept getting away with it

one that is on my have to watch list is Come and See (1985)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/

Jellybean
11-27-18, 23:19
"Dear Elza" was better than "White Tiger". And "Beneath Hill 60" was better than both. Fite me. :cool:

Also, second that Pearl Harbor suck balls. I'd rather watch Titanic again.... :laugh:

AKDoug
11-27-18, 23:56
And NOW you can get "White Tiger" for free. On Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiGDJ5-dXaI

Thanks. An excellent movie that takes a little deep thinking to truly understand.

AKDoug
11-27-18, 23:57
"Dear Elza" was better than "White Tiger". And "Beneath Hill 60" was better than both. Fite me. :cool:

Also, second that Pearl Harbor suck balls. I'd rather watch Titanic again.... :laugh:

and now I know what I'm doing with the rest of my night..

AKDoug
11-28-18, 01:52

WARNING.. big pile of steaming spoilers ahead. Made it through Dear Elza...

Maybe there was some sort of deep seated (seeded?) message in there, but it was overwhelmed with the crap I had to wade through. This is proof that foreign films can be every bit as bad as Hollywood. I couldn't get over Radar O'Reily in the super shiny leather outfit as the evil Soviet (and his hot supermodel docto girlfriend and her smokeshow sister Lena). The scene with the Russian Popeye beating on the Italian dude was straight out of some bad Jean Claude VanDamme movie. Don't even get me started on the fake punching noises straight out of some Chuck Norris film. Just when you think it can't get any worse, in pops another blonde hotty.. leader of some other crack unit. Then we go all full retard when the two groups of Soviets point guns at the Hungarian.. and at each other. Dang it, the Germans smoked Lena.. I was hoping her top would come off at some point. Not even close to White Tiger as far as I'm concerned.

Off to Beneath Hill 60 ... you got one more chance Jellybean ;)

Arik
11-28-18, 08:19
You are probably thinking of "The Lost Battalion" which was a WWI film.Lost Battalion was a HBO movie about WW1 staring Shroeder

AKDoug
11-28-18, 16:07
Beneath Hill 60 was excellent. Well worth the watch. Thank you Jellybean, it was great recommendation.

Jellybean
11-28-18, 23:40
WARNING.. big pile of steaming spoilers ahead. Made it through Dear Elza.......
Off to Beneath Hill 60 ... you got one more chance Jellybean ;)

:laugh:
It was sort of a joke- I hated both White Tiger and Elza. Like I said, I'd rather watch Titanic than Pearl harbor again....
But I mean, come on- at least Elza had some hot babes...Draw me like one of your Russian girls? :dance3::lol:

Although I did like Hill 60- not your typical war film, although some elements of that too could have been done slightly better.

As far as foreign films go, I have no idea how good it is because I can't understand Russian and couldn't find an English sub, but Panfilov's 28 Men had, I think, a pretty good extended battle scene. Especially given most of the Panzers were miniature models, IIRC.

Arik
11-29-18, 06:52
As far as foreign films go, I have no idea how good it is because I can't understand Russian and couldn't find an English sub, but Panfilov's 28 Men had, I think, a pretty good extended battle scene. Especially given most of the Panzers were miniature models, IIRC.I didn't even realize that! Dialogue wasn't anything great. You could pretty much figure out what's going on without anyone speaking although there were a few funny lines.

Stalingrad (2013) wasn't bad. Definitely lifted the general idea from Saving Private Ryan. And you can find it with subtitles.