PDA

View Full Version : "Worst" states to live in

WillBrink
11-25-18, 17:07
These lists are usually pretty worthless, but good for the LOLs. "Lack of inclusiveness" seems to be an issue for many of them, what ever that really is... I have to admit, most of those are states I have little/no interest in, but I have lived in states often ranked "best" and couldn't wait to leave, so I know to take these lists with a big grain O salt. I also know there's states on that list I'd live in before say NJ, or CA:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/americas-worst-states-to-live-in-2018.html?__source=facebook%7Cmain

ABNAK
11-25-18, 17:18
Yeah, whoever is making that list will obviously have their views skew it a bit. For instance yours and my views would be largely based on actual "freedom" (like guns, less PC, etc.), whereas some libtard would make up a list of places I wouldn't set foot in.

Arik
11-25-18, 17:26
So some States are bad because some residents are overweight?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

26 Inf
11-25-18, 17:49
"Lack of inclusiveness" seems to be an issue for many of them, what ever that really is...

Here it is, apparently they are big on State's Rights, as long as the State does things the way they think it ought to be done.

Quality of Life (300 points)

One way to attract qualified workers is to offer them a great place to live. We score the states on livability including several factors, such as the crime rate, the quality of health care, the level of health-insurance coverage and the overall health of the population. We measure inclusiveness by looking at statewide anti-discrimination protections, as well as the ability of local jurisdictions to set their own standards. We evaluate local attractions, parks and recreation, as well as environmental quality.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/13/cnbcs-top-states-for-business-2018-methodology-and-sources.html

The_War_Wagon
11-25-18, 18:08
ANYONE here KNOWS the worst 5 right off the top of their head;

- CA
- NY
- NJ
- MA
- IL

In no particular order of awfulness... :bad:

AndyLate
11-25-18, 18:13
It's all good. I don't want people who use CNBC for news to move to my state.

ABNAK
11-25-18, 18:14

- CA
- NY
- NJ
- MA
- IL

Right, but in their minds they are Utopias we should all be clamoring to live in.

WillBrink
11-25-18, 18:17

- CA
- NY
- NJ
- MA
- IL

Having lived in 3 of those, and visited the rest, NJ truly hits the top of the awfulness scale. I know a number of people who live in NJ, and all state if not for usual reasons (kids, work, etc) they'd be out of NJ yesterday. I know people in all those other states too, with varying amounts of happiness/non, but NJ has always been consistent in it's awfulness by people I know who live there.

AndyLate
11-25-18, 18:17
Right, but in their minds they are Utopias we should all be clamoring to live in.

Winter and forest fires - I'll stay in AL and chance the tornadoes.

Andy

Bulletdog
11-25-18, 18:18
CNBC. That's all I needed to see to know the list would be stupid. The author's primary gripe seems to be how many laws a state has to legally protect gay people. As if without such laws, its perfectly fine to abuse gay people. Crime is crime man. Someone's sexual orientation is none of my business, and the state they live in doesn't care either.

Bulletdog
11-25-18, 18:21

- CA
- NY
- NJ
- MA
- IL

Worst for gun laws and lunatic treasonous criminals running them, for sure. Sad thing is that large portions of each of those states are filled with decent people, except for the few big cities that set the policy and control the rest of those states. Most of CA is conservative and pro-gun, geographically speaking. We are apparently outnumbered by the lefties in the three big cities. I really do question if we'd be outnumbered if there wasn't such rampant voter fraud and illegal immigrants voting.

prdubi
11-25-18, 18:52
Worst for gun laws and lunatic treasonous criminals running them, for sure. Sad thing is that large portions of each of those states are filled with decent people, except for the few big cities that set the policy and control the rest of those states. Most of CA is conservative and pro-gun, geographically speaking. We are apparently outnumbered by the lefties in the three big cities. I really do question if we'd be outnumbered if there wasn't such rampant voter fraud and illegal immigrants voting.If that was true for Cali...why is all of the House Cali seats now Demoncats?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SteveS
11-25-18, 19:17
Idaho! all the libtard Californians have already turned ADA county Democrat. the Californians will bestroy every where they immigrate to like they destroyed California,

wildcard600
11-25-18, 19:34
It's all good. I don't want people who use CNBC for news to move to my state.

Agreed. They can go and enjoy the leftist utopias that are so wonderful and leave us the hell alone.

LMT Shooter
11-25-18, 19:35
Worst for gun laws and lunatic treasonous criminals running them, for sure. Sad thing is that large portions of each of those states are filled with decent people, except for the few big cities that set the policy and control the rest of those states. Most of CA is conservative and pro-gun, geographically speaking. We are apparently outnumbered by the lefties in the three big cities. I really do question if we'd be outnumbered if there wasn't such rampant voter fraud and illegal immigrants voting.

Same in Illinois.

signal4l
11-25-18, 19:53
I live in Illinois. It should have been number one on the list. We have 100 billion plus dollars in pension debt. Thousands of people a year are leaving the state for greener pastures. Our taxes are going up. The crime rates in the urban parts of the state are not good. Also....the gun laws suck

Bulletdog
11-25-18, 20:40
If that was true for Cali...why is all of the House Cali seats now Demoncats?

You apparently missed the part about the lunatic treasonous criminals that run things here in my post...

We don't even get the choice between a D and a R anymore for some odd reason. We get to choose this D or that D.

Look at a voting map. Its a sea of red surrounding little blue dots. There are more conservative voters in CA than in any other state in the entire country. Yet somehow, we are outnumbered at every election according to the Democrats who are counting the ballots. I'm quite certain the whole thing is bogus here, but I have zero proof and can't do a damn thing about it. Just waiting and hoping for the day we can change it here, and elsewhere in the country too.

AndyLate
11-25-18, 20:59
You apparently missed the part about the lunatic treasonous criminals that run things here in my post...

We don't even get the choice between a D and a R anymore for some odd reason. We get to choose this D or that D.

Look at a voting map. Its a sea of red surrounding little blue dots. There are more conservative voters in CA than in any other state in the entire country. Yet somehow, we are outnumbered at every election according to the Democrats who are counting the ballots. I'm quite certain the whole thing is bogus here, but I have zero proof and can't do a damn thing about it. Just waiting and hoping for the day we can change it here, and elsewhere in the country too.

I thought splitting California into multiple states was a good idea, but there is no way the Dem/Libs would allow that.

I really would love for the pendelum to swing the other way for California, but I just don't see that happening.

Andy

Firefly
11-25-18, 21:28
There was a time when California was rife with old money Republicans. I mean...it was Cowboy country.

There was also a time you could CCW in New York City and NYS tried to name a town after Eliphalet Remington.

Meh, I like the Dirty South. Good laws, churches, oodles of light skinned black chicks and the alternative goth types if you know where to look, and like nobody tries to get all up in your business except to see when you are finally going to get married and if you are eating well. And if things get too bad, just toss on your Adidas track suit, fill your OJ with Vodka, and go shoot dice behind the Circle K with the rest of us.

But we’re sadly full so go somewhere else like Texas

jmoore
11-25-18, 22:01

Oh no - those of us in the downstate portion of the Republik of Ill Annoyz KNOW it is a piece of shite state, and about to get even worse. OTOH - those in Chicago and the rest of Crook County think they are in their own little utopia:).

I look forward to retirement and leaving this hellhole of a state!

geezer john

WillBrink
11-26-18, 07:45
There was a time when California was rife with old money Republicans. I mean...it was Cowboy country.

There was also a time you could CCW in New York City and NYS tried to name a town after Eliphalet Remington.

Meh, I like the Dirty South. Good laws, churches, oodles of light skinned black chicks and the alternative goth types if you know where to look, and like nobody tries to get all up in your business except to see when you are finally going to get married and if you are eating well. And if things get too bad, just toss on your Adidas track suit, fill your OJ with Vodka, and go shoot dice behind the Circle K with the rest of us.

You had me at....

docsherm
11-26-18, 09:41

No, Do not come to Texas........ ;)

soulezoo
11-26-18, 10:25
If that was true for Cali...why is all of the House Cali seats now Demoncats?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It's called gerrymandering. And never discount who are counting the votes. In some counties, there are more votes cast than there are registered voters. But lookie over there!

SeriousStudent
11-26-18, 11:17
No, Do not come to Texas........ ;)

Texas is a horrible place. You'd all hate it. No one should ever move here under any circumstances.

docsherm
11-26-18, 11:18
Texas is a horrible place. You'd all hate it. No one should ever move here under any circumstances.

I can't agree more with you. ........

RetroRevolver77
11-26-18, 11:50
deleted

soulezoo
11-26-18, 11:55
Texas will become the next California. I think the last free states will be Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas and Alaska.

Sadly, Montana is already in the throes of transformation.

RetroRevolver77
11-26-18, 12:38
deleted

Averageman
11-26-18, 13:21
We need a new Mason Dixon line. These guys infect everyplace the move to with dumbassery.

Dr. Bullseye
11-26-18, 13:36
This list was obviously made by someone on the Left so now we know where to parole them after they are all convicted of their traitorous crimes.

SeriousStudent
11-26-18, 15:02
Texas will become the next California. I think the last free states will be Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas and Alaska.

Yes, every conservative candidate lost this month. We're already having Venezuela-style food lines. Cannibalistic gangs roam the playgrounds, since the fat kids are easy pickings.

For the love of God, save yourselves.

Krazykarl
11-26-18, 16:01
The list makes perfect sense. It was written by a leftist fear monger. Indiana has become even more conservative and must be punished by the media brain washers. Just please don't describe the expanding job market, affordable housing, gun friendly laws and politicians, and gorgeous Midwest scenery and Lake Michigan. No, sir, Indiana is nothing more than a murderous mini Chicago full of bigots and straw purchase buyers that fuel the Chicago slaughter.

T2C
11-26-18, 17:10

- CA
- NY
- NJ
- MA
- IL

I think Illinois should be closer to the top of the list if they were listed in the level of awfulness.

Doc Safari
11-26-18, 17:18
New Mexico used to be a purple state, and now is a solid blue one. That is reason enough for me to say it's one of the worst states. I'd love to sell out and move to a more conservative state.

Only New Mexico's friendliness toward the Second Amendment makes it tolerable, and I can see more and more politicians wanting to change that.

Honu
11-26-18, 17:58
OK finally read the article !

so any place that does not cater to alphabet people is BAD and those that cater to them is GOOD

that is what I got out of the article at least :)

MegademiC
11-26-18, 18:10
These lists are usually pretty worthless, but good for the LOLs. "Lack of inclusiveness" seems to be an issue for many of them, what ever that really is... I have to admit, most of those are states I have little/no interest in, but I have lived in states often ranked "best" and couldn't wait to leave, so I know to take these lists with a big grain O salt. I also know there's states on that list I'd live in before say NJ, or CA:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/28/americas-worst-states-to-live-in-2018.html?__source=facebook%7Cmain

Health was listed as a weakness in every one. Only a liberal would rank an areas “quality” by personal choices the people make. They are unfit due to geography... okay :rolleyes:

And “inclusiveness”.

Averageman
11-26-18, 18:24
You know, I'm conservative, but I'm tolerant of how others choose to live.
I don't care who you sleep with. I don't care what color you are and I don't give a hoot if you want another gender than the one you were born with.
You mind your business and I will mind mine. Pay your own way and keep your business out of mine.
Seems simple don't it?
It's a damned shame that it never works like that.

flenna
11-26-18, 18:34
You know, I'm conservative, but I'm tolerant of how others choose to live.
I don't care who you sleep with. I don't care what color you are and I don't give a hoot if you want another gender than the one you were born with.
You mind your business and I will mind mine. Pay your own way and keep your business out of mine.
Seems simple don't it?
It's a damned shame that it never works like that.

That's the difference between a Conservative and the modern Liberal. We, as Conservatives, are content to live and let live according to the laws of the land with the rights secured by our Constitution. The Communist Leftists in this country want to force their twisted ideals on all of us and make it mandatory that we all accept and endorse their views.

ABNAK
11-26-18, 18:38

And there are also more Democrat voters in California than any other state in the entire country. Sorry, but as you well know the inmates run the asylum out there.

26 Inf
11-26-18, 18:38
Yes, every conservative candidate lost this month. We're already having Venezuela-style food lines. Cannibalistic gangs roam the playgrounds, since the fat kids are easy pickings.

I'm heading south to Texas, sounds like there might be an opportunity to sell spices, marinades and stock pots to the cannibalistic gangs.

ABNAK
11-26-18, 18:45
We need a new Mason Dixon line. These guys infect everyplace the move to with dumbassery.

I know you know this, but that conjures up images of slavery, Jim Crow, and lynchings. "Our side" couldn't be further from that, but the Left would be more than happy to frame it in such a way.

RetroRevolver77
11-26-18, 18:59
deleted

docsherm
11-26-18, 22:10

I disagree, all of those states don't have much to offer and Alaska is a huge welfare state with the oil pay outs. Texas has industry and a strong economy. That is what will draw like minded conservatives. Yes the large cities are blue but they have been for years. That is the nature of the beast.

Can you name another conservative state that has a robust economy?

docsherm
11-26-18, 22:11

Well crap, j must have missed something. :jester:

docsherm
11-26-18, 22:26
I was basing my observations on this Newsweek article I read.

MORE NATIVE-BORN TEXANS VOTED FOR BETO O'ROURKE THAN TED CRUZ, EXIT POLLS INDICATE.

Democratic Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke might have lost to Republican incumbent Senator Ted Cruz, but he outperformed his heavily favored opponent among people actually born in Texas, according to CNN exit polls.

CNN asked voters: "How long have you lived in Texas?" A majority of folks born in Texas—51 percent—said they voted for O'Rourke. Forty-eight percent of native-born Texans said they voted for Cruz, according to the exit polls.

https://www.newsweek.com/more-native-born-texans-voted-beto-orourke-ted-cruz-exit-polls-indicate-1209296

As I have said before this information is crap. Their statistics are pure crap. They did not post any type of information on the data like location would be nice. If it was inner Houston I would believe it 100%. If it was Lubbock it is 100% fiction.

I just pulled 10 people in Texas and 5 were born here and 5 moved here. 2 voted for Beto and they just moved here from California. The rest voted for Cruz.

My statics are much more believable as I can state location and demographics. Also I have taken 4 statics classes for my multiple advanced degrees. Tim has a degree in English and a Masters in Journalism...... kind of light on the math.

Dienekes
11-26-18, 22:53

4 of those states have productive oil fields; four are major agricultural states; all five are low population. Russian-type winters. And last I knew, by coincidence three had Minuteman missile fields.

OH58D
11-26-18, 23:14
New Mexico used to be a purple state, and now is a solid blue one. That is reason enough for me to say it's one of the worst states. I'd love to sell out and move to a more conservative state.

Only New Mexico's friendliness toward the Second Amendment makes it tolerable, and I can see more and more politicians wanting to change that.

The population areas in the center of the State control the Agenda, however the rural Counties are pretty much gun loving areas. Over in the Northwest in San Juan County, the County Sheriff, Ken Christesen, once said that he would meet Fed or State officials at the County line and tell them to leave if they ever tried draconian gun control. That county has more guns than any other part of the State. Chaves County and the Roswell area is pretty strong on the 2nd Amendment. I am out here on the San Miguel/Harding County line and most of the people out here will ignore any Federal or State gun laws that infringe on ownership. These people out here in the 20's and 30's were big bootleggers running product into Texas, and I have been told from Texas into New Mexico. Lots of Free Spirit backbone in rural and scantly populated New Mexico.

ramairthree
11-26-18, 23:14
I used to think Maine, VT, and NH were cool weather, crime, gun laws, rural, etc. wise but things have been changing.

You have to go through horrible states known to ciolate FOPA to get to them,
But even VT’s preciously very specific ironclad worded constitution has been violated.

Edit-
And demographics will kill the southern Free states.

AKDoug
11-27-18, 02:05
I disagree, all of those states don't have much to offer and Alaska is a huge welfare state with the oil pay outs. Texas has industry and a strong economy. That is what will draw like minded conservatives. Yes the large cities are blue but they have been for years. That is the nature of the beast.

Can you name another conservative state that has a robust economy?

Easy there 'bro.. While your state enjoys having mineral rights to property a private person owns, Alaska does not. The Permanent Fund is not a "welfare" payout. Like your state, Alaska taxes the oil business. These taxes help run the government in Alaska, just like Texas. A small part of these taxes go into a fund call the Permanent Fund. It is invested and a small portion of the profits are distributed to Alaskans. The people running the fund have been incredibly successful investors and the Fund could actually continue without any additional oil royalties. I would gladly exchange the Permanent Fund for mineral rights to my property, but that's not going to happen without a change in our statehood charter. It's not a perfect system, but in down years the PFD checks are pretty small and certainly no reason to live here considering our high cost of living.

Alaska's problems are far more in depth that an annual check we are getting. We have a state that the federal government "owns" 60% of the state, and that brings 10's of thousands of federal employees to manage it (who tend to vote blue). Alaskan Natives own 12% of the state and they tend to vote blue as well. Most of the rest is state land. What is in private hands is about 1% of the state. We are plagued with outside (lower 48) environmental groups litigating and stopping most mining, slowing oil production, and killed our timber industry. We could be a dynamic multi-faceted economy, but we can't seem to get anything moving because the leftists in the lower 48 treat us like a damn national park.

On the flip side, unlike Texas, I have millions of acres of public land to recreate on. I can leave my house on my snowmobile and travel 500 miles west without trespassing on private land. I can hunt on vast tracts of public land without worry of trespass as well.

That said, we are barely hanging on as a red state. Republicans barely hold onto the Senate and just got the House back. Our governor is a Republican right now, but we don't always go that way. We continue to elect a RINO (Murkowski) for the Senate and I don't think we have a decent plan to replacing our aging Representative Young. Most of our cities are going blue and our rural Native villages are all blue. We are barely hanging on in couple areas of conservatism. The bane of our existence is the huge amount of blue voting Federal employees and their relatives. When our economy is bad, our conservative voters leave for jobs elsewhere, giving the government employees a leg up. Luckily, our economy is turning around and I have hope that our new Republican governor can right this ship. We'll see.

AKDoug
11-27-18, 02:08
I used to think Maine, VT, and NH were cool weather, crime, gun laws, rural, etc. wise but things have been changing.

But even VT’s preciously very specific ironclad worded constitution has been violated.

Edit-

It had been 10 years since I was in N.H. last, the change in politics was drastic and not in a good way.

OH58D
11-27-18, 08:19
So if Federal and State governments make our firearms illegal, then everyone that I know will not comply. And this isn't bravado. It brings to mind a movie from a few years ago starring Matthew Mcconaughey: "The Free State of Jones". An interesting film demonstrating the fight against the Confederacy by Blacks in Mississippi. I found the film to be interesting. I can see little enclaves in many thousands of places in the US when things go to hell here.

I have a little over 39 square miles of ranch property, so I may just have to create my own little enclave of Freedom. My neighbors may do the same thing, and we could be a no man's land for anyone venturing into contest our Constitutional Rights.

WillBrink
11-27-18, 09:00
So if Federal and State governments make our firearms illegal, then everyone that I know will not comply. And this isn't bravado. It brings to mind a movie from a few years ago starring Matthew Mcconaughey: "The Free State of Jones". An interesting film demonstrating the fight against the Confederacy by Blacks in Mississippi. I found the film to be interesting. I can see little enclaves in many thousands of places in the US when things go to hell here.

I have a little over 39 square miles of ranch property, so I may just have to create my own little enclave of Freedom. My neighbors may do the same thing, and we could be a no man's land for anyone venturing into contest our Constitutional Rights.

If/when you do, add me to the list! Love to visit some time.

Circle_10
11-27-18, 09:47

Edit-

Being a Mainer, I will attest that I am very concerned about the direction this state is going to be headed in the wake of the midterms.

Norseman
11-27-18, 12:09
The population areas in the center of the State control the Agenda, however the rural Counties are pretty much gun loving areas. Over in the Northwest in San Juan County, the County Sheriff, Ken Christesen, once said that he would meet Fed or State officials at the County line and tell them to leave if they ever tried draconian gun control. That county has more guns than any other part of the State. Chaves County and the Roswell area is pretty strong on the 2nd Amendment. I am out here on the San Miguel/Harding County line and most of the people out here will ignore any Federal or State gun laws that infringe on ownership. These people out here in the 20's and 30's were big bootleggers running product into Texas, and I have been told from Texas into New Mexico. Lots of Free Spirit backbone in rural and scantly populated New Mexico.

New mexico has always been a unique state in this regard. Guns, hunting, etc. have always been deeply entrenched here. While we recently went hard blue, there are many D's in this state that are hardcore gun enthusiasts. I have a few friends that are generational democrats (strange, I know) that have collections, including NFA, that would make many here, myself included, feel inadequate. Guns are a way of life here, not an after thought. A lot of people here know that they are on their own in terms of defense and take it seriously, especially when you get away from the metro areas where response times can be measured in hours.

There was an article I stumbled upon not to long age that claimed that New Mexico was the fourth state in the nation in terms of gun ownership, something like 50% of the population. I believe it, and if I can find the article again I will edit my post with a link.

As to the article in the OP, I would tend to agree with some of the assessments. Crime here is getting bad. Poverty is generational. Drugs and alcohol fuel a lot of bad things here. LE is perpetually short of people, mainly due to funding, but also because of the lack of qualified applicants in terms of drug/alcohol use. And don't get me started on the Government corruption.

The gun thing will be the final determining factor for me on the stay or go front. The question is where. Demographics seem to be changing all the possibles that I have considered. I am becoming more convinced that there are no more "safe" states from the growing cancer.

It will be interesting to see what our new elected officials will try to accomplish come January, but it is already feeling like we are headed towards becoming Colorado south at best.

just a scout
11-27-18, 12:24
I’m here to tell you Illinois is a shithole and a shitshow. JB Pritzker just got the governorship. The same guy that tried to buy Obama’s senate seat from Blago. Taxes are going to skyrocket.

Property taxes. Homes will be assessed an increase of 1% of the assessed value on top of current taxes. Ie. My house is assessed as $240k. I pay $4200 in taxes. I will get an addition $2400 added to my bill

Mileage tax. Same as Oregon in addition to all the gas taxes and tollways. Because “people are avoiding paying their fair share”.

Business tax. Businesses will have to pay taxes on property they lease, in addition to rent which pays the property taxes. Also, they will be taxed on the products they sell, in addition to the sales tax.

**** this state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ramairthree
11-27-18, 13:04
The founding fathers were brilliant.

We have seen the concept of a republic serve to get a few more years out of the constitution.

A couple of things happened around the tIme I was was born in that will still do it in. The immigration reform, and Reynolds v Simms. Both hurt, but outlawing states from running like a republic and having to be pure democracies, which I still can’t wrap my head around, doomed us to cities determining how the rest of the country must live.

Many states haves already fallen to this. Enough so the country already is about to. Others are on the cusp. Likely all will at some point.

At this point I do not see a way around it.

Decades from now will we be a cesspool of dreary communism enslaved by the party and the non producers,
Or will, for example, northwestern NY NG, sheriffs departments, and militia have road blocked NYC in and refused to comply
?

ABNAK
11-27-18, 18:23
The founding fathers were brilliant.

We have seen the concept of a republic serve to get a few more years out of the constitution.

A couple of things happened around the tIme I was was born in that will still do it in. The immigration reform, and Reynolds v Simms. Both hurt, but outlawing states from running like a republic and having to be pure democracies, which I still can’t wrap my head around, doomed us to cities determining how the rest of the country must live.

Many states haves already fallen to this. Enough so the country already is about to. Others are on the cusp. Likely all will at some point.

At this point I do not see a way around it.

Decades from now will we be a cesspool of dreary communism enslaved by the party and the non producers,
Or will, for example, northwestern NY NG, sheriffs departments, and militia have road blocked NYC in and refused to comply
?

There is somewhat similar precedent: look at West Virginia's origins. Virginia used to be a BIG state (land-wise) as far as Eastern states go. For the last 150 years or so not as much.

HKGuns
11-27-18, 18:54
Agreed. They can go and enjoy the leftist utopias that are so wonderful and leave us the hell alone.

But the won’t leave us alone. They have proven this time after time.

OH58D
11-27-18, 19:12
New mexico has always been a unique state in this regard. Guns, hunting, etc. have always been deeply entrenched here. While we recently went hard blue, there are many D's in this state that are hardcore gun enthusiasts. I have a few friends that are generational democrats (strange, I know) that have collections, including NFA, that would make many here, myself included, feel inadequate. Guns are a way of life here, not an after thought. A lot of people here know that they are on their own in terms of defense and take it seriously, especially when you get away from the metro areas where response times can be measured in hours.

There was an article I stumbled upon not to long age that claimed that New Mexico was the fourth state in the nation in terms of gun ownership, something like 50% of the population. I believe it, and if I can find the article again I will edit my post with a link.

As to the article in the OP, I would tend to agree with some of the assessments. Crime here is getting bad. Poverty is generational. Drugs and alcohol fuel a lot of bad things here. LE is perpetually short of people, mainly due to funding, but also because of the lack of qualified applicants in terms of drug/alcohol use. And don't get me started on the Government corruption.

The gun thing will be the final determining factor for me on the stay or go front. The question is where. Demographics seem to be changing all the possibles that I have considered. I am becoming more convinced that there are no more "safe" states from the growing cancer.

It will be interesting to see what our new elected officials will try to accomplish come January, but it is already feeling like we are headed towards becoming Colorado south at best.
New Mexico is certainly unique in the US. In some ways this is a very lawless State with non-compliance to a lot of different laws. For example with driving and car insurance. 48% of New Mexico drivers have no car insurance; 61% of drivers here operate with minimum limits and are under insured. We also have a problem with DUI, with people constantly arrested for numerous drunk driving arrests. We've seen cases of people having the 10th or 12th DUI.

The reason for a lot of this is due to the number of Indian Reservations and Indian Pueblos. State law is not enforced on these Federal Trusts so you'll have Indians doing their own thing on Tribal Land, then getting into trouble once they leave the Rez. Surprisingly the illegals in the State actually maintain auto insurance because they don't want any issues with the law. They try to fly under the radar if they're the hard working kind. Then we have illegals who are just plain rotten and involved in drug trafficking and stealing cars and trucks to take into Juarez, Mexico.

Due to all of these various kinds of lawlessness, New Mexico residents will totally ignore any new gun control measures and the State has no money to really enforce any of it. Despite this, I have arrangements made to still receive what may be future contraband in this State. It's called an address in the Panhandle of Texas, just a modest drive from my part of the world.

SeriousStudent
11-27-18, 19:37

The Kiowa Free State? :)

OH58D
11-27-18, 20:54
The Kiowa Free State? :)
I actually flew the MH-6 and AH-6 Little Bird a majority of my Army career. The Kiowa Warrior 58 Delta was only for the last 6 years. Promotion to another unit required going to new air frame schooling. My signature line of Black Mesa Ranch is only a sub name for this place. It's actually __ _____ _____ Cattle Company - Black Mesa Ranch.

Unfortunately, the Kiowas have no Tribal presence into New Mexico. What we have are Navajo, Jicarilla Apache, Mescalero Apache and 19 surviving Pueblo Tribes including Zuni, Acoma and Laguna. There is one little section in the northwest part of the State where the Ute Mountain Tribe crosses into New Mexico from Colorado.

ramairthree
11-27-18, 21:00
There is somewhat similar precedent: look at West Virginia's origins. Virginia used to be a BIG state (land-wise) as far as Eastern states go. For the last 150 years or so not as much.

Yep.
And it is the kind of percent that takes place during a civil war.

signal4l
11-27-18, 21:18
I’m here to tell you Illinois is a shithole and a shitshow. JB Pritzker just got the governorship. The same guy that tried to buy Obama’s senate seat from Blago. Taxes are going to skyrocket.

Property taxes. Homes will be assessed an increase of 1% of the assessed value on top of current taxes. Ie. My house is assessed as $240k. I pay $4200 in taxes. I will get an addition $2400 added to my bill

Mileage tax. Same as Oregon in addition to all the gas taxes and tollways. Because “people are avoiding paying their fair share”.

Business tax. Businesses will have to pay taxes on property they lease, in addition to rent which pays the property taxes. Also, they will be taxed on the products they sell, in addition to the sales tax.

**** this state.

You forgot to mention our lard ass govonor's plans to ban guns. I wish I moved to Indiana 25 years ago. This state sucks

just a scout
11-27-18, 21:42
You forgot to mention our lard ass govonor's plans to ban guns. I wish I moved to Indiana 25 years ago. This state sucks

Sucks isn’t a strong enough word. I can’t wait to leave.

Norseman
11-28-18, 12:01
New Mexico is certainly unique in the US. In some ways this is a very lawless State with non-compliance to a lot of different laws. For example with driving and car insurance. 48% of New Mexico drivers have no car insurance; 61% of drivers here operate with minimum limits and are under insured. We also have a problem with DUI, with people constantly arrested for numerous drunk driving arrests. We've seen cases of people having the 10th or 12th DUI.

The reason for a lot of this is due to the number of Indian Reservations and Indian Pueblos. State law is not enforced on these Federal Trusts so you'll have Indians doing their own thing on Tribal Land, then getting into trouble once they leave the Rez. Surprisingly the illegals in the State actually maintain auto insurance because they don't want any issues with the law. They try to fly under the radar if they're the hard working kind. Then we have illegals who are just plain rotten and involved in drug trafficking and stealing cars and trucks to take into Juarez, Mexico.

Due to all of these various kinds of lawlessness, New Mexico residents will totally ignore any new gun control measures and the State has no money to really enforce any of it. Despite this, I have arrangements made to still receive what may be future contraband in this State. It's called an address in the Panhandle of Texas, just a modest drive from my part of the world.

Yup. In a lot of ways the 1800's never passed, and in certain ways that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Money will always be the linchpin here. Couple that with, like you stated earlier, the non compliance of both LE and residents, it will be interesting to see how things pan out. Time will tell.

SeriousStudent
11-28-18, 18:30
I actually flew the MH-6 and AH-6 Little Bird a majority of my Army career. The Kiowa Warrior 58 Delta was only for the last 6 years. Promotion to another unit required going to new air frame schooling. My signature line of Black Mesa Ranch is only a sub name for this place. It's actually __ _____ _____ Cattle Company - Black Mesa Ranch.

Unfortunately, the Kiowas have no Tribal presence into New Mexico. What we have are Navajo, Jicarilla Apache, Mescalero Apache and 19 surviving Pueblo Tribes including Zuni, Acoma and Laguna. There is one little section in the northwest part of the State where the Ute Mountain Tribe crosses into New Mexico from Colorado.

Yeah, but "Little Bird Free State" is not nearly as intimidating to potential invaders. :jester:

C2Q
11-28-18, 22:39
It's an interesting list.

From a tax perspective, AL and LA would usually be on the "best states" list.
From a homeschooling perspective, IL has the least amount of regulations and so the best homeschool state. (ironic, for sure)
From a Class II/Class III Gun Store Owner perspective, I would never move back to my home state of NY, obviously, and it would be high on my "worst' list.

Thanks for sharing, Will.

OH58D
11-28-18, 23:22
Yeah, but "Little Bird Free State" is not nearly as intimidating to potential invaders. :jester:
Say this with a Hollywood Native American accent: "Little Bird speaks with big fire". Translation: M134 on the left pylon, 2.75 inch folding fin rocket pod on the right pylon. It's a fun package combination, especially at night. The M134 assists in targeting via tracers and ground splatter which allows for a nicely aimed shot with the Hydra rocket. Two AH-6 Little Birds orbiting same target doing fire rotation and the enemy doesn't get much of a chance to pop up and try to engage you.

SeriousStudent
11-29-18, 00:17
Say this with a Hollywood Native American accent: "Little Bird speaks with big fire". Translation: M134 on the left pylon, 2.75 inch folding fin rocket pod on the right pylon. It's a fun package combination, especially at night. The M134 assists in targeting via tracers and ground splatter which allows for a nicely aimed shot with the Hydra rocket. Two AH-6 Little Birds orbiting same target doing fire rotation and the enemy doesn't get much of a chance to pop up and try to engage you.

Oh, I did not mean they were not an effective platform. I just imagined someone thinking of a bird watcher's paradise, and getting a very brief and yet extremely painful education.

It's been 25 years since the Battle of Mogadishu, and people there learned exactly what you described.

Moose-Knuckle
11-29-18, 05:12

Yeah but this time can we please do an East West line instead?

I've often thought that "Balkanization" is the only option to preserve any semblance of our Republic.

Draw the line down the center of what leftist call "fly over country". If you want to ban the private ownership of small-arms, abort babies, force bakers to make LGBTQQIP2SAA wedding cakes, allow people who think their genitalia is a social construct into girls locker rooms/restrooms, allow unfettered third world inhabitants to pillage your shining city on a hill, et al. go over to one side, the rest of us we'll go to the other. Then construct a 21st century version of China's Great Wall; mine it, armed UAV patrols, and equip the very few sally ports with Cyberdyne area denial systems.

It's been 25 years since the Battle of Mogadishu, and people there learned exactly what you described.

OH58D is legit, (hope he doesn't mind as he has spoke about it before) he was one of the gents learning the people of Mogadishu on Little Bird capabilities.

just a scout
11-29-18, 05:32
[QUOTE=Moose-Knuckle;2680364]Yeah but this time can we please do an East West line instead?

I've often thought that "Balkanization" is the only option to preserve any semblance of our Republic.

Draw the line down the center of what leftist call "fly over country". If you want to ban the private ownership of small-arms, abort babies, force bakers to make LGBTQQIP2SAA wedding cakes, allow people who think their genitalia is a social construct into girls locker rooms/restrooms, allow unfettered third world inhabitants to pillage your shining city on a hill, et al. go over to one side, the rest of us we'll go to the other. Then construct a 21st century version of China's Great Wall; mine it, armed UAV patrols, and equip the very few sally ports with Cyberdyne area denial systems. [Quote]

There is the Mississippi River...

Aries144
11-29-18, 06:13
"Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very
first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history (and who is to
know where mythology leaves off and history begins — or which is which),
the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and
did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer.

—SAUL ALINSKY" (foreword to Rules for Radicals)

If Alinsky was as big an influence as some seem to think, then they'll take the whole country, and if they can't, they'll try to take a piece of it.

No balkanization. No more retreating. Stop them here and now.

It's important that we fight to maintain that we are the heirs to the original country and intent of our founders, they are the violent, radical revolutionaries who want to tear it all down and build something much worse in its place.

Moose-Knuckle
11-29-18, 06:34
"Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very
first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history (and who is to
know where mythology leaves off and history begins — or which is which),
the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and
did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer.

—SAUL ALINSKY" (foreword to Rules for Radicals)

If Alinsky was as big an influence as some seem to think, then they'll take the whole country, and if they can't, they'll try to take a piece of it.

No balkanization. No more retreating. Stop them here and now.

It's important that we fight to maintain that we are the heirs to the original country and intent of our founders, they are the violent, radical revolutionaries who want to tear it all down and build something much worse in its place.

I agree.

However, the vast majority of "good guys" (for the lack of a better term) will never do what is required to preserve the Republic.

“So this is how liberty dies . . . with thunderous applause.” — Luke Skywalker's mother

OH58D
11-29-18, 08:30

Draw the line down the center of what leftist call "fly over country". If you want to ban the private ownership of small-arms, abort babies, force bakers to make LGBTQQIP2SAA wedding cakes, allow people who think their genitalia is a social construct into girls locker rooms/restrooms, allow unfettered third world inhabitants to pillage your shining city on a hill, et al. go over to one side, the rest of us we'll go to the other. Then construct a 21st century version of China's Great Wall; mine it, armed UAV patrols, and equip the very few sally ports with Cyberdyne area denial systems.
After the 2016 general election, there was a story which showed America as made up of islands, one map showing Hillary supporters, one for Trump supporters. The line you describe would be difficult to create, and as my previous post described the new America may be made up of isolated free zones. In fact it's possible that in a hundred years or more, the US could be broken up into numerous little States and larger urban City States, just like old Europe.

On a side note from the previous comments, Operation Gothic Serpent was cluster. We were there on the cheap, and were pulling parts from functional aircraft to keep others flying. I would have no inclination to return to that area of Africa except to bomb it. I do look at Google Earth images of places there to see what they look like now. Very little change for the most part = no advancement in 3rd World S*&^ Holes.

Bulletdog
11-29-18, 11:23

There is one major problem with your idea: No matter where you draw that line, one side gets the West Coast and all its looney lefties and the other side gets the nuts in the North East. I don't want to have to choose a side and deal with either group!

I have a different proposal: Make a big wall around all the big cities, a la "escape from NY" style, and inside their walled cities they can have all the liberal socialist fun they want. L.A., San Fran, NYC, Jersey, Chicago, Detroit, Austin, etc... Sanctuaries for illegals, no guns, high taxes and free money for welfare people and their children, free college education (paid for by their government), free medical care (also paid for by their government), etc... Their government can tell all of them what to eat and drink, what to think and say, how much of their own money they get to keep, who gets to use which public bathroom... They can have all their awards ceremonies where they can rail on all us barbaric heathens outside the walls... It will be paradise on earth for them. Well, at least for a few days it might be, but then you, I, and everyone here knows exactly what will happen. They can live in their cities and the rest of us, the other 95% of our land mass, can live in peace, pursue our daily lives, and live happily ever after. We'll have all the guns we want, but we probably won't need them for self defense anymore since all the criminals will flock to the cities for easy pickin's. The criminals that don't have the sense to move their operations to the cities will quickly get dead, because outside the walls, it will be legal to shoot a bad guy in self defense.

Rather than have a left and right side of the country, we can have city rules for city folks, and country rules for country folks. Contain the commies in their own little commie areas, and leave the rest of us alone. Then we'll have a proper Republic where everybody gets their way, vs. this majority rules propaganda fueled BS we have right now. I don't care what the majority says. They should have it their way and I should have it my way. You know, FREEDOM.

jmp45
11-29-18, 11:27
There is one major problem with your idea: No matter where you draw that line, one side gets the West Coast and all its looney lefties and the other side gets the nuts in the North East. I don't want to have to choose a side and deal with either group!

I have a different proposal: Make a big wall around all the big cities, a la "escape from NY" style, and inside their walled cities they can have all the liberal socialist fun they want. L.A., San Fran, NYC, Jersey, Chicago, Detroit, Austin, etc... Sanctuaries for illegals, no guns, high taxes and free money for welfare people and their children, free college education (paid for by their government), free medical care (also paid for by their government), etc... Their government can tell all of them what to eat and drink, what to think and say, how much of their own money they get to keep, who gets to use which public bathroom... They can have all their awards ceremonies where they can rail on all us barbaric heathens outside the walls... It will be paradise on earth for them. Well, at least for a few days it might be, but then you, I, and everyone here knows exactly what will happen. They can live in their cities and the rest of us, the other 95% of our land mass, can live in peace, pursue our daily lives, and live happily ever after. We'll have all the guns we want, but we probably won't need them for self defense anymore since all the criminals will flock to the cities for easy pickin's. The criminals that don't have the sense to move their operations to the cities will quickly get dead, because outside the walls, it will be legal to shoot a bad guy in self defense.

Rather than have a left and right side of the country, we can have city rules for city folks, and country rules for country folks. Contain the commies in their own little commie areas, and leave the rest of us alone. Then we'll have a proper Republic where everybody gets their way, vs. this majority rules propaganda fueled BS we have right now. I don't care what the majority says. They should have it their way and I should have it my way. You know, FREEDOM.

Fantastic idea, how can we get this implemented?

Bulletdog
11-29-18, 11:56
Fantastic idea, how can we get this implemented?

Call the Donald! Tell him what we want!

jmp45
11-29-18, 13:20
Call the Donald! Tell him what we want!

Lol...

Moose-Knuckle
11-30-18, 05:55
After the 2016 general election, there was a story which showed America as made up of islands, one map showing Hillary supporters, one for Trump supporters. The line you describe would be difficult to create, and as my previous post described the new America may be made up of isolated free zones. In fact it's possible that in a hundred years or more, the US could be broken up into numerous little States and larger urban City States, just like old Europe.

Admittedly I was being a bit facetious with my concept of drawing a line to divide the country in half, one for the left and the other for traditional American values. I think your model of isolated free zones in the form of enclaves, break away societies, et al. will be a more likely reality if we were to see Balakanization in CONUS.

Executive Order 13528 officially established the Council of Governors, a council of state and federal officials that was established to; "advise the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Homeland Security, and the White House Homeland Security Council on matters related to the National Guard and civil support missions" and to "strengthen further the partnership between the Federal Government and State Governments to protect against all types of hazards". The Emergency Preparedness and Response Directorate of DHS created a map years ago carving CONUS up into ten regions, each governed by a member of the council i.e. a regional governor. Some say this is a blue print for what's coming down the pipe.

On a side note from the previous comments, Operation Gothic Serpent was cluster. We were there on the cheap, and were pulling parts from functional aircraft to keep others flying.

The above speaks volumes to the level of professionalism and the intestinal fortitude of you and the other men in the units involved in that operation.

Moose-Knuckle
11-30-18, 06:07

There would be a lot more problems than that. Most folks would not want to pack up and move. I've seen campaigns on social media for leftists to begin migrating out of the urban cess pools into traditional red municipalities and counties specifically to redraw voting districts, among other tactics by non-profit social justice community organizing institutions. I for one don't own large tracts of land that have been in my family for generations, or a business, etc. so moving for me is quit easy compared to some. If there was an option for me to move somewhere where my family and I would be left the hell alone to live our lives I'd jump on it like Slick Willy on an intern.

John Carpenter is a sage for the ages. I had the pleasure of being on a big city crowd control unit for over a decade, I said it then and will say it again....when things go pear shaped wall off the cities and let them burn. As they are a self-fulfilling prophecy.

flenna
11-30-18, 07:06
5475554755This map would be a good guide. Let’s see, so the food isn’t grown or oil drilled in the blue zones. Well us fellas in the red zones would be glad to sell you some.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
11-30-18, 08:06
Florida....Florida is the absolute WORST state to live in, so whatever you do, DON'T move here... Rather instead - Stay in whatever hell-hole you're currently in & FIX IT!... :cool::cool::cool:

SteveS
12-20-18, 17:04
Idaho sucks it is being populated be Californians. they ruined California and bailed out to Idaho and now Ada county is democrat.

SteyrAUG
12-20-18, 17:55
Idaho sucks it is being populated be Californians. they ruined California and bailed out to Idaho and now Ada county is democrat.

That's what a contagion usually does. Kill host, find new host.