PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon RX30 QD Mount

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-02-08, 14:19
Considering purchasing a Triji RX30 or RX09 for an AR Pistol.

Anyone know if there are any QD mounts worth a shit (ie. not A.R.M.S.) out there for it?

I'd love for Bobro to cook one up, but I don't think a QD Reflex mount is high on the priority list.

LettersFromEarth
11-02-08, 21:16
ISP,

The RX30 is a nice optic. WAY on better (bigger too) than the last generation Trijicon Reflex IMO. From what I understand if you order the sight set up for carrying handle use you can plug it into a mount made for an ACOG such as the LaRue or ADM type.

It is a heavy duty sight, though. As you may have figured out by now it (RX30) has somewhat the same shape as the EOTech but reversed and I think it may be a little much for your pistol. But if you want it I say do it.

Now to the 6.5 MOA dot: I thought it would be bad. It wasnt. If fact 200m shots were well up on the high scale of easy. Washout from the use of a tac light (either LED or Edison type) was NOT a problem until you placed the dot right in the brightest part of the casted light. If I had any concern about the reticle it would be in dealing with a Mid West rain or snow storm. Having the top of the unit (where the dot is projected out of a channel at the rear of the optic) packed with snow could cause some problems (cops drop their weapons, too!).

Anyway, we're going to do some more shooting with it come Friday or so. I"ll advise you further if your still interested.

BTW--Flint Michigan is close to deciding on an optic for their AR's and from what a good friend (who is on the job with Flint) tells me the RX30-23 is currently the front runner in that contest. Cheers

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-04-08, 23:32
Well, I took the plunge yesterday, and opted out of the AR pistol, and went for an M&P 15.

I removed the carrying handle, and I'm thinking about going for one of the Reflex II's for weight savings.

I'm also considering a railed forend, but I want something ultra-lightweight...

LFE: Your advice has always been great - Any recommendations for an extremely lightweight railed forend, that would be a drop-in?

LettersFromEarth
11-05-08, 00:48
Well, I took the plunge yesterday, and opted out of the AR pistol, and went for an M&P 15.

I removed the carrying handle, and I'm thinking about going for one of the Reflex II's for weight savings.

I'm also considering a railed forend, but I want something ultra-lightweight...

LFE: Your advice has always been great - Any recommendations for an extremely lightweight railed forend, that would be a drop-in?

Thanks man (tell that one to my Off Duty Supervisor!:D). Id say go with the DD Omega. Its a "drop in" FF rail and that is a nice touch. But if for whatever reason you dont want to go that road Im a big fan of Knights. I have one on the duty gun and its a tough unit for sure. Later.

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-06-08, 20:00
Alright, you've got me sold on the DD Omega.

Next up - Since I'm leaving the gas block / FSP as-is, and I'm hellbent on Trijicon goodies, I've come to determine the RX09 is the RDS for this particular system. I can't find out anywhere if the Reflex II series of sights are waterproof. If so, I'll consider that a done deal as well.

I'm also trying to determine which rear BUIS will work well with the standard M4 front sight, and the Triji in the LaRue mount.

Decisions...decisions...

LettersFromEarth
11-07-08, 15:26
ISP,

Understand the RX09 has a few limitataions that the newer RX30 does not. I had a zero nine but I ended up selling it do to its illumination being "challanged" in many lighting situations. Had the RX30 been available then I would have got that insted and most likely would still have it now. It is a much better interpitation of the reflex concept. In fact Im about a week from getting my own. If weight is an factor I dont think the diff between the two marks is all that. The added capability of the 30 is worth the added ounces--at least to me.

As far as a BUIS goes. I have both a TROY and a LaRue sight. If zero magnification optic is all you'll be using your Smith for I'd say do the LaRue BUIS. You will understand why if you get one (make sure you have an "F" marked FSB, though.). The TROY is nice but I dont care for how the small peep is done on it. To ME it seems backwards but Im half dumb (and half stupid to boot) so...

Good call on the DD Omega. Im really diggin their stuff lately (dont tell Mark LaRue!) and the Omega is the reason why. You will like it Im sure and the fact that DD is from the same red dirt and boiled peanut lovin state your from is a plus. :)

Out.

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-07-08, 16:11
Roger that. Just confirmed FSB is indeed an "F" marked. Also just looked at the Larue BUIS, and seems to fit the bill.

The DD Omega is damned sexy to boot. I'm really diggin' the fact that the section of the rail closest to the receiver extends over the delta ring to bridge the gap on most "from the factory" rail setups I've seen in shops (And shamefully currently possess). Definitely a big plus there.

I've gotta support local any chance I get. If I'd quit being a total miser/lazy-ass I'd scoot the half-hour over to Norcross and pick up an AAC Can.

This place is a vertiable cornucopia of tactical goodies. Brigade Quartermasters main retail outlet is about 10 minutes from my house. They don't carry a lot of the brands I'd like to see, but that being said they have some wickedly awesome blowouts on discontinued items that they've attempted to carry.

At one point they were blowing out brand-new Insight gear for 75% off.

I got 8 pair of Matterhorn Bootzillas for $10 a pair. Converse stealth boots for $10.
I could go on and on.

Unfortunately, the Tapco HQ is also in my neck of the woods(about 3 minutes from BrigadeQM). I can't say my experience with them has been stellar, and BQM carries a TON of their stuff. I did manage to score a "Tapco Packaged" MI single-point sling mount for a song though.

As well, we feature the great city of Kennesaw, where its obscenely low crime rate proves that the best idea of gun control is mandating that all homeowners MUST have a firearm in the home, barring the felonious, of course.

I'm finishing up work on the first blaster in my collection, in terms of after-market add-ons, and I'm, as evidenced here, beginning to feel out a direction for the newest member of the family.

I'll post pictures of 'Ole Bessie's progression once the adventure begins.

The only things I've done so far are remove the carrying handle, and use it as a rear BUIS on the other blaster, and mount a KX3 I had leftover from a previous AR Pistol. Totally impractical? Yes! Less impractical than having a Krink laying around and no desire to do an SBR? Maybe. :rolleyes:

I think I've become a hypocrite on the weight-savings issue, but I'm not letting the KX3 sit and gather dust for another year...

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-07-08, 16:34
P.S.

My concerns on the RX30 vs. the RX09 are the reticle differences.

I'm really digging the Chevron vs. Dot, from using the TX30. Also, I'm wondering if the increased reticle size is going to cut down on accuracy...

Decisions, decisions.

:rolleyes:

Tomac
11-07-08, 18:03
Short version: RX30 is much better (IMHO) than the earlier Reflex series. Fiber optics are much more efficient & tritium is much brighter. Washout can occur but it's much more difficult to achieve. It's not an Aimpoint-killer w/regards to ruggedness but is an excellent choice for those who want a good KISS optic. While I would prefer a chevron or triangle to the 6.5moa dot, the dot doesn't hinder my shooting (<200yds).
Tomac
RX30 on my STG-556:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofRX30sA007.jpg
View through the RX30 at 8am w/the sun at my 3 o'clock:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v465/Tomac/ResizeofRX30sA005.jpg

IroquoisSnakePlissken
11-07-08, 23:16
I was under the impression all the Reflex II Generation solved some of the washout issues. I'd like to do a side-by-side of the two.

Sweet setup, by the way...

Judging from the pics, it's not looking like the reticle isn't as "dominating" as I had feared. It actually looks really, really nice.

I'm trying to get the chevron wild-hair out of my ass.

Most of my shooting is sub-100 yards, so the RX30 shouldn't hinder that.

The relative simplicity of the design of the Reflex series is very appealing to me. I'm not crazy about the cyalume sticks for the RX09, and I wish the entire lineup was either triangle or chevron, but I guess I can't bitch too much; at the end of the day, I can either hit steel or not.

I'm definitely diggin' the wide FOV of the RX30 after seeing the photos.

Armati
11-07-08, 23:52
P.S.

My concerns on the RX30 vs. the RX09 are the reticle differences.

I'm really digging the Chevron vs. Dot, from using the TX30. Also, I'm wondering if the increased reticle size is going to cut down on accuracy...

Decisions, decisions.

:rolleyes:

I love the 14 minute chevron. It is my favorite all around reticle. You get a huge 14 minute 'dot' or you can use the apex for more precision shots. For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't put the chevron in the RX30.

LettersFromEarth
11-08-08, 09:44
First off we need to come up with a way to keep Tomac from posting pix of his STG otherwise I will come back from Iraq, spend all my money, and be divorced :)

RX30: I hear you in thinking a chevron or triangle reticle would be a good thing for the RX30. But I didnt have any problems with the 6.5moa dot to be honest. Granted my time with the Trijicon has been limited but I did find 200 to 300 meter targets were hit without any drama on my part. I really like the sight and so does most who handle it. In fact my "heterosexual life partner" on Flint's PD has decided to buy the T&E unit regardless if Flint goes with them or not. Good stuff indeed.

Tomac
11-08-08, 14:14
First off we need to come up with a way to keep Tomac from posting pix of his STG otherwise I will come back from Iraq, spend all my money, and be divorced :)

No problem, my silence can be bought (I don't come cheap, but I can be bought!) ;)
Tomac

LettersFromEarth
11-08-08, 15:59
No problem, my silence can be bought (I don't come cheap, but I can be bought!) ;)
Tomac

Knowing that does me no good as I will be broke, remember? :)

ISP, get the darn sight! LOL