PDA

View Full Version : The Pros and Cons of Painting your AR

Doc Safari
11-28-18, 14:33
So we don't muck up the pic thread I thought I'd start a thread to debate the merits of painting your AR in a camo or other scheme.

I don't paint mine. I've been tempted. But I have a checkered history of trading off what I own for something else and I think rattle-canning your AR is a good way to 100% devalue it unless you have it professionally done.

Having said that, I do own a Colt LE6920 that has a complete Vietnam tiger stripe camo job from the factory. I consider that a keeper and would be my contribution to the "just have to have a camo AR" club.

So, what do you think?

To paint or not to paint?

rustyx
11-28-18, 14:39
I think if it’s what you’re into then blast it. If not then don’t. Easy as that. With how synonymous firearms are with freedom you’d think gun dudes wouldn’t care about someone’s freedom of choice to blast their expensive rifle with a $4 can of krylon.

Plus it looks dope.

R6436
11-28-18, 14:42
I've been tempted but I don't paint mine. Between resale of parts, getting bored of camo patterns, and the fact no matter how hard I try to like various color combinations, anything other than a mainly black AR still just feels "wrong" to me. I've seen some really nice painted rifles I wouldn't mind owning, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

ViniVidivici
11-28-18, 15:27
My primary AR is painted for protection from the elements, and to blend in. I do hunt with it. Makes it not stand out so much too, when I've got it with me outside, on the property.

Simple Krylon, no fancy pattern. It can all be easily removed with brake cleaner if neef be.

vandal5
11-28-18, 15:33
I had always wanted to paint mine but seems like painting them was going out of fashion. When I had my lower engraved some of the anodizing chipped off so I sprayed it while it was apart. Sprayed a little more as I was assembling it but then added some more parts that are not painted. Kind of half and half.

I think it looks cool for what that's worth, functionality it doesn't matter if it was black or not.

Forget who but someone on this board had one they painted like a chocolate brown that looked pretty cool. Also Kilo-1 I think it is has one that he painted and has seen a lot of use so it looks good and worn in.

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
11-28-18, 15:42
List of disadvantages to painting:

1)

joedirt199
11-28-18, 15:50
Krylon is way easier to get off then rustoleum. Gives you freedom to be creative.

Headache
11-28-18, 15:56
For me it depends on the weapon. Ones that might only see a square range once in a while, my daughter's AR, or my old pre-ban Colt, these are all still black. All the ones I use and abuse are painted.

markm
11-28-18, 16:51
Pappabear has a few painted guns. I have one, and had one before that. Never had any regrets for doing it. Tan camo guns are way better in the hot ass desert.

I probably ought to rattle another gun or two.

bamashooter
11-28-18, 17:07
I once painted a "raw" aluminum 1911 flat trigger black.

nate89
11-28-18, 17:18
Pappabear has a few painted guns. I have one, and had one before that. Never had any regrets for doing it. Tan camo guns are way better in the hot ass desert.

Agreed! The difference between an all black AR of some sort and one painted a tan-ish color is significant when you are out in the sun.

Firefly
11-28-18, 17:22
If I don’t paint a gun it’s because I am too lazy to do so. My stuff is my stuff. F “resale” value.

It ain’t comic books. I don’t trust people who don’t have brass marks, nicks, or scratches on their stuff

Doc Safari
11-28-18, 17:23
It ain’t comic books. I don’t trust people who don’t have brass marks, nicks, or scratches on their stuff

True that. But unless you're a bona fide operator in the sandbox a camo'ed AR just screams "militia ninja" like punisher skulls or zombie themed gear or something. IMHO.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-28-18, 17:34
I have no problem painting rifles and I could not care less about resale value. I can count on one hand how many guns I've sold or traded off.

VIP3R 237
11-28-18, 17:37
Resale value is about the only con I think of.

It’s kind of funny because I have access to all the cerakote I want, but I personally prefer rattle canning my rifles.

trauma
11-28-18, 17:45
Krylon the shit, when it wears it looks good too.

You don’t like anymore, remove it.

Cerakote is more involved in every way and the finish never seems to be truly flat in color.

Firefly
11-28-18, 17:48
True that. But unless you're a bona fide operator in the sandbox a camo'ed AR just screams "militia ninja" like punisher skulls or zombie themed gear or something. IMHO.

Or...or maybe I just want to break up my outline while hunting or I want a gun where folks go “yep, that’s ol’ Buddy’s”

I agree on punisher skulls and zombie stuff. Luckily I just run some earthtones on it and just think black is boring for something I’m gonna mess with since I bought it and all

bp7178
11-28-18, 19:16
I can see it being a problem with policy, which of course won't apply to everyone obviously.

Resale matters to a degree. If you're always swapping out parts/scopes/rails etc, selling the old stuff to fund new stuff may take a hit. I paid a f*ton of money for a Z8i, and I'm not willing to rattle can it. If I had to take it overseas or if the Canadians invaded, then that's another story. ;)

Jellybean
11-28-18, 19:25
I think if it’s what you’re into then blast it. If not then don’t. Easy as that. With how synonymous firearms are with freedom you’d think gun dudes wouldn’t care about someone’s freedom of choice to blast their expensive rifle with a $4 can of krylon.
Plus it looks dope.
#fireforeffect

I mean, sure if they just rattle-canned something like an AI-AW or SR25 and are NOT shooting dirt farmers or anticipating a time-now SHTF event, someone should find something blunt and hurt them with it.... But at the same time I'm probably going to care about what possessed them to do that for less time than it took me to type this.
It's your money-use it how you want.

If I don’t paint a gun it’s because I am too lazy to do so. My stuff is my stuff. F “resale” value.

Or...hear me out for a second...what if the paint allows the nicks and scratches to become more visible, and therefore a greater indicator of skill????

;):dance3:

Personally I don't paint real guns. Cost to much to get them and I am a'feared of the value-related consequences if I screw it up. Regular use scratches and scuffs, meh, whatev. Price of acquiring skillz with the things.

26 Inf
11-28-18, 19:41
1) Free country.

2) Your stuff.

3) Do what you want.

Folks in general, with camo AR's who aren't using them for hunting or other reasons requiring camo look mall ninja/OAF (IMO see point 1)

4) I prefer a dull/flat finish all one color, generally FDE.

5) If you have a camo AR and you haven't dealt with the shadow and shine areas on your face and hands, or are wearing a short-sleeved shirt, you aren't truly operating.

Doc Safari
11-28-18, 20:16
5) If you have a camo AR and you haven't dealt with the shadow and shine areas on your face and hands, or are wearing a short-sleeved shirt, you aren't truly operating.

Yep. Or you have a perfect multicam paint job on your AR but wear a blaze orange vest in the sticks.

Tx_Aggie
11-28-18, 20:26

Agreed! The difference between an all black AR of some sort and one painted a tan-ish color is significant when you are out in the sun.

Lots of truth in the above.

Defaultmp3
11-28-18, 20:46
I will be sure to throw up pics of my SR-25 after I paint it, just to see how many people lament it.

stank
11-28-18, 20:50
I paint mine to help keep them a tad cooler here in the desert. I have camo patterned it in the past but just did brown/tanish this last time. It was easy enough to remove and repaint. Maby next time I will do OD green or similar.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
11-28-18, 21:03
I've gone cerakote on a couple. But paint - no matter how well-intended - always looks amateurish.

I mean, maybe Ryan Evans (Counting Cars) could do one up in orange metalflake, with some handrubbed silver pinstripes, and some awesome candy apple flames... but, WHY?!

hile
11-29-18, 01:37
I see no reason not to paint my rifles, though I haven't done it yet. I'll probably paint most all of them (the NZ LMT clone may be an exception) according to the Book of Pat.

RobertTheTexan
11-29-18, 02:05
I painted my first AR and thankfully had a friend talk sense into me because I almost went “binge-painting”. I wanted to paint every AR I owned and aßt that time I had built about 12. Now I have a few that I’ve painted and I like them. They have my own personal touch. I have a few I’ve had cerakoted those are nice too.
I don’t really buy the resale part because I don’t build an AR thinking of “how much can I get for it.” Or “how much can I get for these parts?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
11-29-18, 02:24
That wretched ACU camo pattern? Amateurish.

An AR painted to blend in with the terrain in your AO? Smart.

Moose-Knuckle
11-29-18, 03:13
Tan camo guns are way better in the hot ass desert.

I'm always amazed how black attracts and retains heat energy, i.e. electromagnetic radiation. FDE, CB, etc. not only reduces this effect but also dampens the sheen that black produces when under NV.

RHINOWSO
11-29-18, 05:37
People who don’t realize that black can get really hot in the sun spend too much time sitting at a covered bench shooting from the shade.

Moose-Knuckle
11-29-18, 06:12
People who don’t realize that black can get really hot in the sun spend too much time sitting at a covered bench shooting from the shade.

Or they've never owned a black automobile.

Never again!

flenna
11-29-18, 06:16
And black just plain sticks out in the woods. Now, I have not painted my AR’s (still on the fence there) but have painted my hunting rifles.

The_War_Wagon
11-29-18, 07:09
T
An AR painted to blend in with the terrain in your AO? Smart.

Blend in with terrain, eh?

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/sunset_zpsiwx621ar.jpg

Maybe Ryan Evans SHOULD paint my rifle! :eek:

AndyLate
11-29-18, 07:22

I remember grabbing a black anodized aluminum tent frame lying on the ground in Iraq about the middle of July. I could hear the sizzle as the sweat on my hand boiled off.

Andy

RobertTheTexan
11-29-18, 07:29
Blend in with terrain, eh?

Maybe Ryan Evans SHOULD paint my rifle! :eek:

Oh come now you know you’ve always wanted a glossy black and hot pink AR..... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

ST911
11-29-18, 08:05
Rattle can is a cheap and functional fix if you need to blend in. I like the Rustoleum Camoflage products.
More factory guns and parts are coming in FDE, but with some upcharge. It's a decent base/starter color.
I'd like to see more rifles in a lighter tone of gray, which works well on its own and is easy to accent if you need to blend.

RobertTheTexan
11-29-18, 08:14
Based on the trend in gear like chest rigs and war belts, grey is the new “urban FDE”.

Doc Safari
11-29-18, 08:52

And yet even if they want to paint their weapon a lighter color they are happy to install metal rails and handguards that get hot enough to make the shooter need gloves.

I don't buy the heat argument.

It's just wanting to make your weapon look badass compared to the sea of plain black AR's.

OldState
11-29-18, 09:05
The two reasons I never would paint a rifle are 1) I’m a civilian and very self conscience looking to “tactical” or .mil. 2) paint jobs only look right if everything is painted...including optics. I can’t bring myself to paint an expensive optic that I may want to sell. And bonus #3, I happen to like how black rifles look.

The only guns I painted were toy m4s I got my kids for their Halloween costume. I left some of the orange on the muzzle to keep them out of trouble.

Doc Safari
11-29-18, 09:17
I'll concede that if you know an extreme ELE SHTF situation is coming (think the movie "The Road" for reference), then, yes, rattle can the damn thing. But most of us will never face a level of survival worse than having to wait in line at McDonalds. There is literally no reason for the average person to camo their AR with amateurish hand spray painting.

R6436
11-29-18, 09:51
Based on the trend in gear like chest rigs and war belts, grey is the new “urban FDE”.

Two things I feel you nailed: "trend" and "urban FDE".

I get people in potential AO's and/or hunting painting their rifles to blend in with a wooded/farm field environment. What I don't get is painting to match the latest/greatest camo pattern just because. Nothing against people who do that, its their rifle(s) and they can do what they want with them. For me, if I'm ever in a situation where I find myself on a two-way range, having my rifle be black is the least of my concerns. IIRC LaRue used to have a (near) full product line in Urban Dark Earth. Was a grey that matched the respective portion of the ACU pattern. I miss that stuff as the newer Wolf Grey is darker. I don't know what its like in the big/real cities, but in my little area we don't have any consistently colored buildings that a general-use camo job would help blend with.

ST911
11-29-18, 09:58
My standard for guns and gear is fast becoming "not black." Grays, greens, browns, whatever, and they may or may not work in a particular place, but not black.

And I wish there was some consistency or at least common descriptors of stuff in the gray spectrum.

Doc Safari
11-29-18, 10:00
My standard for guns and gear is fast becoming "not black." Grays, greens, browns, whatever, and they may or may not work in a particular place, but not black.

Someone needs to tell me, though: What in the blue blazes is the motivation or reasoning behind the name of "Muddy Girl" camo?

Eurodriver
11-29-18, 10:02
I don’t like the way the paint gets sticky when you are sweating heavily. Also, spray paint comes off too easily when wearing big repellent.

Innaswamp in a July after a hurricane you need bug repellent.

I have spray painted several rifles and now only own one. I wish I cerakoted it.

Defaultmp3
11-29-18, 10:06
Also, spray paint comes off too easily when wearing big repellent.Just use picaridin. I have plenty of other plastics as it is that I don't want DEET to interact with.

R6436
11-29-18, 10:09
Someone needs to tell me, though: What in the blue blazes is the motivation or reasoning behind the name of "Muddy Girl" camo?

Marketing. My guess is someone in advertising thought gun owners would be a demographic that responded well to the idea of girls in mud. Same with Jeep owners.

tb-av
11-29-18, 10:37
I don’t like the way the paint gets sticky when you are sweating heavily. Also, spray paint comes off too easily when wearing big repellent.

Innaswamp in a July after a hurricane you need bug repellent.

I have spray painted several rifles and now only own one. I wish I cerakoted it.

Use 2K paint. Where there is a will there is a way.

tb-av
11-29-18, 10:57
I'll concede that if you know an extreme ELE SHTF situation is coming (think the movie "The Road" for reference), then, yes, rattle can the damn thing. But most of us will never face a level of survival worse than having to wait in line at McDonalds. There is literally no reason for the average person to camo their AR with amateurish hand spray painting.

I intend to paint the next one I build. I look at it like building a guitar though. It's just fun and I like to do different things with them. You should be glad they are making pink and green guns. It makes them seem less threatening. Also that more Muddy Girl users are out there. Mothers raise their children. Children grow up to vote.

I just don't see that it's any different from painting a car, guitar, or whatever. Yes, most of us will never use the items to their maximum intended potential but they are still fun to enjoy.

This is not something I might do, but I think it's nicely done. I like it more than just a basic black and a lot of camo...
http://68.media.tumblr.com/d1d97d83b052deddb1764f221102f647/tumblr_n4u6hl00yu1tvuyw2o1_1280.jpg

11-29-18, 11:05
Looks cool on the internet.

Looks like a poser in the US.

Turns into a sticky mess.

Doc Safari
11-29-18, 11:06
I intend to paint the next one I build. I look at it like building a guitar though. It's just fun and I like to do different things with them. You should be glad they are making pink and green guns. It makes them seem less threatening. Also that more Muddy Girl users are out there. Mothers raise their children. Children grow up to vote.

I just don't see that it's any different from painting a car, guitar, or whatever. Yes, most of us will never use the items to their maximum intended potential but they are still fun to enjoy.

This is not something I might do, but I think it's nicely done. I like it more than just a basic black and a lot of camo...
http://68.media.tumblr.com/d1d97d83b052deddb1764f221102f647/tumblr_n4u6hl00yu1tvuyw2o1_1280.jpg

That is certainly very cool but it's not "combat" camo.

My girlfriend has a factory Colt with "wildfire" camo that's beautiful and collectible and doesn't look mall ninja, but it's hardly a concealment-oriented camo job.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-29-18, 11:11

I don't know why you are so wrapped up in what others do to their rifles. I don't know why you'd want to buy a 6920 then start a poll about whether or not you should shoot it or "keep it mint", but it's yours and doesn't affect me so whatever. I don't know why someone would not want a light on a serious use rifle, but you've stated you've removed yours to save weight, but it's yours and doesn't affect me so whatever.

Doc Safari
11-29-18, 11:12
I don't know why you are so wrapped up in what others do to their rifles. I don't know why you'd want to buy a 6920 then start a poll about whether or not you should shoot it or "keep it mint", but it's yours and doesn't affect me so whatever. I don't know why someone would not want a light on a serious use rifle, but you've stated you've removed yours to save weight, but it's yours and doesn't affect me so whatever.

Chill dude. It's just a discussion forum. It's just an exchange of ideas. Nobody's telling anybody what to do.

TMS951
11-29-18, 11:14
I did one, it was a fun project. I used less desirable parts I had. I did a four color camo pattern and learned a lot.

Pros:
Looks cool
It blends in better
Cheap on cash, not on time.

Cons:
It took a bunch of time
All of those painted parts and optic are now "married"
Its not at all a durable finish
Its forever. I don't care what people say, you'll never get it all off again.
While you may like it, its unlikely some one else would want to buy it from you.

I've also had a receiver set and rail professionally ceracoated all one color. I'd be much more likely to do this again and do it to a gun I really cared about. Most of my listed cons do not apply. One con is it cost almost 200$ if I remember correctly.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-29-18, 11:16
Chill dude. It's just a discussion forum. It's just an exchange of ideas. Nobody's telling anybody what to do.

Chill? I'm not even remotely upset. You posted a comment, I responded with a rebuttal.

Doc Safari
11-29-18, 11:17
Chill? I'm not even remotely upset. You posted a comment, I responded with a rebuttal.

Okay I took it wrong then. Thought you were angry and trying to fight back.

magister
11-29-18, 13:30
I’d probably want mine camoed if I were using it in actual combat situations on the regular or if I were using it to hunt. But I’m not, so I don’t do it. If the world ever goes into book of Eli mode then I’ll probably snag a rattle can or two and spray mine.

However, I have no problem with the idea of it and if that’s what someone wants then go for it.

ViniVidivici
11-29-18, 14:54
If you're usin' it to hunt, FYI in my experience, with Krylon, you have to wait about a week, for the paint to fully cure, so that the paint smell completely goes away.

RobertTheTexan
11-29-18, 15:13
For those of you who do want to paint your AR and aren’t wrapped around resale or want to have a more durable finish without cooking in the oven, give Aervoe paint a chance. I’ve used Rustoleum and I e use Krylon, (and I w used both on the same rifle bc it’s what I had) but the Aervoe gave me the more durable finish.

As an aside, Aervoe light coyote brown is a damn close facsimile of Magpul FDE. It’s not exact-exact, but unless you have some weird OCD “perfectionist in paints” mental condition you probably would be satisfied.

26 Inf
11-29-18, 15:29

It has pink in it - hence girlish - and girls who hunt get dirty - hence muddy.

Marketing.

Doc Safari
11-29-18, 15:34
It has pink in it - hence girlish - and girls who hunt get dirty - hence muddy.

Marketing.

Sounds reasonable. Pink on an AR should be a felony.

(Kidding. )

26 Inf
11-29-18, 15:53
I did one, it was a fun project. I used less desirable parts I had. I did a four color camo pattern and learned a lot.

Pros:
Looks cool
It blends in better
Cheap on cash, not on time.

Cons:
It took a bunch of time
All of those painted parts and optic are now "married"
Its not at all a durable finish
Its forever. I don't care what people say, you'll never get it all off again.
While you may like it, its unlikely some one else would want to buy it from you.

I've also had a receiver set and rail professionally ceracoated all one color. I'd be much more likely to do this again and do it to a gun I really cared about. Most of my listed cons do not apply. One con is it cost almost 200$ if I remember correctly.

Have you looked into Norrell's Moly Pesin? https://molyresin.com/

Download the application guide and read it, easy-peezee.

I did my first one with a $20.00 HF bead blasting gun, a $30.00 bucket of Medium Garnet Blasting Abrasive (bought at TSC) an $80.00 HR Air Brush and compressor, and our oven.

Since then I've gotten a HF blasting cabinet and a 'better' air brush (I can't tell much difference).

Nocalsocal
11-29-18, 17:16
I'm an aervoe fan as well. More durable than Rust-Oleum and Krylon but hard to find at the hardware store. Online is easier but pricey. Luckily I was able to score some at a surplus store.
For those of you who do want to paint your AR and aren’t wrapped around resale or want to have a more durable finish without cooking in the oven, give Aervoe paint a chance. I’ve used Rustoleum and I e use Krylon, (and I w used both on the same rifle bc it’s what I had) but the Aervoe gave me the more durable finish.

As an aside, Aervoe light coyote brown is a damn close facsimile of Magpul FDE. It’s not exact-exact, but unless you have some weird OCD “perfectionist in paints” mental condition you probably would be satisfied.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

stank
11-29-18, 17:39
I will tripple down on aerove. Best thing going for spray paint. Once cured it's durable(ish). It still wears off with use but not excessively.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

tb-av
11-29-18, 17:47
That is certainly very cool but it's not "combat" camo.

My girlfriend has a factory Colt with "wildfire" camo that's beautiful and collectible and doesn't look mall ninja, but it's hardly a concealment-oriented camo job.

merits of painting your AR in a camo or other scheme

I had to look up "wildfire camo". Never seen it before. I like that too. That actually looks like where I live. Especially this time of year. I'm not a real camo fan but if I hunted I probably would have a much wider visual acceptance range for a camo rifle.

I'm clearly in the "other scheme" camp. Remember PinUp nose art? Why not PinUp buttstock art?

Think of it like this. If Americans are supposed to arm themselves, train, and be at least somewhat prepared. Then certainly you could look at painting your AR as a type of morale issue. Now I'm talking dime a dozen ARs.. not some high zoot or collectable.

I would bet if more people came up with more interesting art you would find it more acceptable and more enjoyable. I can tell you another reason I would paint mine... as I get older, Black just doesn't work for me. It's hard on my eyes. I used to have all sorts of black bags for gear and black within black. It got to the point I just said F-it. I have started going with more colors for things as visual cues for me. Now take that "Wildfire Camo" You could stick RED or color of your choice, operating controls on that rifle and they will blend but at the same time be eye catching.

I just think it's a good thing.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Doc Safari
11-29-18, 17:50
I had to look up "wildfire camo". Never seen it before. I like that too. That actually looks like where I live. Especially this time of year. I'm not a real camo fan but if I hunted I probably would have a much wider visual acceptance range for a camo rifle.

I'm clearly in the "other scheme" camp. Remember PinUp nose art? Why not PinUp buttstock art?

I dunno. Flying Tiger shark teeth on a mag well.

HIDEOUS!

:jester:

tb-av
11-29-18, 18:05
Sounds reasonable. Pink on an AR should be a felony.

(Kidding. )

We are all going chip in and get you a pair of gaiters for Christmas.... :jester:
https://dirtygirlgaiters.com/

I've been watching a lot of thru hiking vids lately and a couple of these guys I thought were saying 'something girl' gaiters. So I try to figure what word they were saying. I knew it couldn't be girl. I thought it was one long word. Sure enough I just said well is it really dirty girl? Yes it is. I think she started the business after a thru hike of the AT or one of the other major trails.

They are very well made too. I bought a pair because this time of year I have to rake and shred leaves and end up with more in my shoes than on the ground.

Some change is good and necessary. Black isn't going away.

ETA: Clarification on a how Dirty Girl gaiters came to be. They are a Made In USA product btw.

Dirty Girl Gaiters are made in America by goddesses from their empire of dirt in Green Valley, Arizona.

Dirty Girl Gaiters have been adding style and sass to the trails since 2004.

The rage began when fashionista and ultra-marathoner Xy Weiss made leopard print gaiters to match her leopard print jog bra. In the beginning, she made extras to give away to girlfriends. By the time she ran the 2004 Western States 100 mile Endurance Race, the demand for dirt was overwhelming.

lysander
11-29-18, 18:15
The Pros and Cons of Painting your AR

Pro:
It's yours!

Con:
It's yours.

tb-av
11-29-18, 18:15
I dunno. Flying Tiger shark teeth on a mag well.

HIDEOUS!

:jester:

I know, I know..... it's very hard to say you are pro art on a AR when the artists have not come forth. There is a -lot- I do not like. I don't like a lot of the camo but I get it.

It's like this.... if you can shoot it, sling it, and feel good about it. Then it's the right color.

tb-av
11-29-18, 18:53
Have you looked into Norrell's Moly Pesin? https://molyresin.com/

Download the application guide and read it, easy-peezee.

I did my first one with a $20.00 HF bead blasting gun, a $30.00 bucket of Medium Garnet Blasting Abrasive (bought at TSC) an $80.00 HR Air Brush and compressor, and our oven.

Since then I've gotten a HF blasting cabinet and a 'better' air brush (I can't tell much difference).

That looks really interesting.

Hemoglobin
11-29-18, 19:19
I have painted 2 rifles. I sold one. I did not take a hit as the person buying it wanted to paint. That's luck of the draw. One I'm about to throw into the corner and hit with the power washer and strip so I can remove some paint to switch rails. I will repaint and I will probably order some aeroveo this time. I'm also going to do another rifle while I'm at it. If I traded or sold guns any more I wouldn't, but I can't think of a downside otherwise.

RHINOWSO
11-29-18, 19:57
And yet even if they want to paint their weapon a lighter color they are happy to install metal rails and handguards that get hot enough to make the shooter need gloves.

I don't buy the heat argument.

It's just wanting to make your weapon look badass compared to the sea of plain black AR's.

Again, you haven't spent much time in the sun with a weapon then. It's not for being cool when you shoot it, it's for being cooler when you aren't shooting it (among other reasons). Any weapon will get hot when shot A LOT.

Granted, if you are looking to preserve resale value and look more than you shoot thing, painting probably isn't for you.

Inkslinger
11-29-18, 20:05
The only con I can see is, others may have some preconceived opinion of you and of themselves based solely on the nonsense in their head. Did I somehow end up on arfcom?

shadow93
11-29-18, 21:15
The amazing thing is, I don't need a reason to paint them because they're mine and I couldn't care what people think of it. I have two of mine painted right now that I did over the summer. I think the perfectly done cerakote rifles look kind of ridiculous. I refuse to pay that kind of money for it to be screwed up when I actually use it instead of leaving it in a safe like most are. I spray painted mine using the book of pat. They aren't perfect, they weren't meant to be. I got bored with black and wanted something different. They most definitely stay cooler when left sitting in the bed of my truck at the range on a sunny summer day while I'm shooting something else.
My work rifle on the other hand isn't painted. Although some of the parts I moved from my other rifles and put onto it are.

Moose-Knuckle
11-30-18, 03:49
Rattle can is a cheap and functional fix if you need to blend in. I like the Rustoleum Camoflage products.
More factory guns and parts are coming in FDE, but with some upcharge. It's a decent base/starter color.
I'd like to see more rifles in a lighter tone of gray, which works well on its own and is easy to accent if you need to blend.

As time goes on the more DD's Tornado (gray) color grows on me. I keep Rustoleum camouflage cans around as they make it stupid easy.

MIL-STD-1913 rails, M-Lok, and KeyMod all have covers that aid in breaking up a rifles profile and help mitigate heat from hot barrels. They also serve to protect from heat energy from the sun among other things.

With that mindset, one could argue that the average person literally has no reason for an AR to begin with. I grew up a Star Wars fan, one thing George Lucas did that made the universe he created different from all the other sci-fi stories is that it was very old and everything was dinged up, battle damaged, rusted, dented in, and heavily used. IMHO the most baddass gun pics on the web are from SOF personnel with their heavily used rifles with worn off amateurish rattle can paint jobs.

krichbaum
11-30-18, 04:11
Aervoe...good shit. Even with Aervoe, if I can I'll throw the parts in the oven for an hour to help it cure. The main reason is just so that I can immediately use the parts if I want to, but I *think* it makes it a bit more durable too. Seems that way to me.

mark5pt56
11-30-18, 06:22
I've always thought about having one done by these guys. Awesome works of art.

http://blowndeadline.net

Amicus
11-30-18, 06:27

Sorry if I am a bit late to the party.

I used to run a class in Massachusetts for people who were thinking about getting an AR (before our AG declared that all ARs were actually banned under the law; it's in the courts now). It was a very basic class on the manual of arms, equipment, accessories, cleaning, and elements of shooting. I provided the ARs to use, and rattle-can painted a few for fun. The painted ARs always were chosen first for use by the class members. If it helps get people into the sport, it works.

A friend of mine purchased a "muddy girl" .22 AR-type to take to the range on Sundays. He would offer its use (supervised, of course) to anyone who was there as a hanger-on with a more serious shooter. It was his hope that anything that would encourage women to use an AR was a worthy investment. I think he was pretty successful.

As for the name "muddy girl," perhaps to encourage good clean fun?

RHINOWSO
11-30-18, 07:42
Aervoe...good shit.
This for sure.

Circle_10
11-30-18, 08:27
I've rattle-canned two ARs, mostly just for the hell of it. I generally avoid tactical LARPing but customizing your gun with different color schemes seems pretty harmless.

SOL-INVICTUS
11-30-18, 08:34
As others have said, pink sells to women. My wife loves pink guns, carries a pink gun and wants the RRAs pink AR when back in stock. My daughter likes pink guns and also buys pink guns. My granddaughter likes to shoot pink guns. The colors are fun attractive, undercut the whole evil black gun narrative and very effectively arm up your ladies and spread freedom. No negatives that I can see.

I like my ARs black just like my 45s, carry revolvers, cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 08:43
Again, you haven't spent much time in the sun with a weapon then. It's not for being cool when you shoot it, it's for being cooler when you aren't shooting it (among other reasons). Any weapon will get hot when shot A LOT.

Granted, if you are looking to preserve resale value and look more than you shoot thing, painting probably isn't for you.

Dude. I live in the desert Southwest. I've been out shooting in 104 heat. At that temperature a plastic handguard heats up almost like a metal one. A barrel takes forever to cool, if it even does so before you get home.

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 08:49
As time goes on the more DD's Tornado (gray) color grows on me. I keep Rustoleum camouflage cans around as they make it stupid easy.

MIL-STD-1913 rails, M-Lok, and KeyMod all have covers that aid in breaking up a rifles profile and help mitigate heat from hot barrels. They also serve to protect from heat energy from the sun among other things.

With that mindset, one could argue that the average person literally has no reason for an AR to begin with. I grew up a Star Wars fan, one thing George Lucas did that made the universe he created different from all the other sci-fi stories is that it was very old and everything was dinged up, battle damaged, rusted, dented in, and heavily used. IMHO the most baddass gun pics on the web are from SOF personnel with their heavily used rifles with worn off amateurish rattle can paint jobs.

LOL. I was watching a YouTube video last night where the guys from Nutnfancy were shooting a worn cop M4 that they loved cuz it looked all "Boba Fett" 'n shit. Guess it must be a cultural thing, like deliberately finishing your weapon to look like a battlefield pickup. I just don't see it. My guns have honest wear (some horrendous), but I've never artificially aged or rattled canned any gun. I agree that battle worn SOF rifles look badass, but they have legitimate tactical reasons for such. For some civilian living in an apartment in the middle of town to try to make his gun look like an SOF battlefield relic just seems like wannabe behavior.

But hey, people are correct: It's your rifle. Paint it if you want to.

I don't object, by the way, to professionally rendered camo paint or other finish jobs. If I did I'd have to sell my Colt M4 with factory Vietnam tiger stripe camo. It's waaaaay cool. I'm just saying that taking your AR out in the backyard with a couple cans of Krylon is just bubbafied amateurish nonsense. Sorta like pasting fake bullet holes on your vehicle. It's like when you built models as a kid and instead of using the factory professionally rendered decals you tried to freehand paint the insignia on your airplane or whatever. Just looks like someone with too much free time and probably not much artistic skill.

Circle_10
11-30-18, 08:53
LOL. I was watching a YouTube video last night where the guys from Nutnfancy were shooting a worn cop M4 that they loved cuz it looked all "Boba Fett" 'n shit. Guess it must be a cultural thing, like deliberately finishing your weapon to look like a battlefield pickup. I just don't see it. My guns have honest wear (some horrendous), but I've never artificially aged or rattled canned any gun. I agree that battle worn SOF rifles look badass, but they have legitimate tactical reasons for such. For some civilian living in an apartment in the middle of town to try to make his gun look like an SOF battlefield relic just seems like wannabe behavior.

While I don't object to the idea of painting one's guns, I do agree that artificially aging or wearing your paint job to look "battle worn" is quite lame.

RHINOWSO
11-30-18, 09:09
Dude. I live in the desert Southwest. I've been out shooting in 104 heat. At that temperature a plastic handguard heats up almost like a metal one. A barrel takes forever to cool, if it even does so before you get home.

Yes yes, uphill both ways in the snow. Paint offends your sensitive side, just be honest.

Come out of the closet as just a hater for hater's sake. Be free! :D

ETA - I forget that some people just need something to talk or complain about. This thread has been a great reminder.

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 09:22
ETA - I forget that some people just need something to talk or complain about. This thread has been a great reminder.

Oh, all right. Truth be told I'm wanting to be convinced I should camo one of my AR's. Hasn't happened so far. Keep trying.

Inkslinger
11-30-18, 09:35
Oh, all right. Truth be told I'm wanting to be convinced I should camo one of my AR's. Hasn't happened so far. Keep trying.

So if the majority of the posts conveyed the sentiment that only real shooters paint there rifles, you would be on your way to the hardware store for paint? Is the entire purpose of this thread to determine what the cool kids are doing? Are black rifles for the hipsters of the AR15 community?

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 09:38
So if the majority of the posts conveyed the sentiment that only real shooters paint there rifles, you would be on your way to the hardware store for paint? Is the entire purpose of this thread to determine what the cool kids are doing? Are black rifles for the hipsters of the AR15 community?

I just want to see that rattle-canning your AR is not the same as wearing a Punisher skull T-shirt to the range.

Inkslinger
11-30-18, 09:48
I just want to see that rattle-canning your AR is not the same as wearing a Punisher skull T-shirt to the range.

Timers and targets are how I judge, not what you’re wearing. YMMV...

aznginf
11-30-18, 11:18
Who really gives a shit? Some folks need to just calm their tits.

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 11:27
This is my camo AR. Factory Colt. Professionally done. Doesn't look bubba although one could argue Vietnam tiger stripe is so 1960's.

Point being: it's not an amateur hardware store paint job that just screams mall ninja. Like it or don't like it you can tell it was professionally done. It looks like it "belongs" there because it came from the factory with that paint job. If it were done by a professional aftermarket finishing house, same thing.

That's the difference I'm pointing out. I don't mean to piss on anybody's paint job. Paint it whatever color(s) and patterns you want. I'm just saying that in my humble opinion a home paint job is about like a home gunsmithing job. Whether or not it's quality depends to large degree on who and how it was done and whether or not it looks like some dude with too much free time wanting to run around in the woods playing militia.

Defaultmp3
11-30-18, 12:00
Point being: it's not an amateur hardware store paint job that just screams mall ninja. Like it or don't like it you can tell it was professionally done. It looks like it "belongs" there because it came from the factory with that paint job. If it were done by a professional aftermarket finishing house, same thing. It also looks way too clean, and thus to me, gives a negative impression. It's like the guy with all matching MultiCam gear that has no dirt or grease marks on it, makes it look like the guy is in just for the image, and not the work.

You either have a need for a painted weapon, or you don't. If you don't, if you like how it looks, do it. If not, don't. It's not that deep.

VIP3R 237
11-30-18, 12:14
I do it because hey it’s cool, and it’s functional. I honestly don’t care how people paint their rifles or spend their money, and if a pink or muddy girl rifle gets a girl or woman into shooting then that betters everyone.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4556/38662779821_57394aa38a_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/21UuRs6)

RMBr549
11-30-18, 12:54
I like the natural, worn, petina look that can only be replicated from hard use.

sasquatchoslav
11-30-18, 13:06
I could be the lone ranger, but the guys I have sold my used AR's to (minus my collector Colt HBAR) all said more or less 'this rifle has been shot a lot hasn't it....I like it looks well worn'. They were not abused, but keeping them looking showroom clean is about #1,298 on my list of concerns. I think there are enough people who want AR's who don't feel the need to buy new that there will be a healthy market for any functionally healthy rifle. I listed them as such cosmetically far from perfect, but always cleaned and maintained internally like a top. Mine all sold for what I asked for them. I see a lot of used DIY camo painted AR's come and go on Armslist I'm on there several times a week always looking at stuff.

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 13:14
I like the natural, worn, petina look that can only be replicated from hard use.

Ditto. As long as it's real. I'm almost (I said "almost" ) of the opinion that a fake worn or battlefield pickup look is borderline stolen valor. I've got a PA state police cop surplus Colt 6520 that looks remarkably pristine for a 20+ year old service weapon. The only thing revealing its pedigree is the restricted markings on the lower. So I'm really suspicious any time I see a lot of patina or wear on a civilian M4.

26 Inf
11-30-18, 13:32

I don't know about Doc Safari, but, yeah, I'm just here to find out what the dress code is for my next high round count carbine class.

RHINOWSO
11-30-18, 13:47
Timers and targets are how I judge, not what you’re wearing. YMMV...

That's way too hard for some. It takes time, measurements, drills, and checking your ego at the door.

My best range day is when nobody else is around to see my obviously peacocking painted ARs, so their shots don't mess with my timer and I can walk to my targets by looking left / right at no one, muttering 'cold range'.

MorphCross
11-30-18, 13:59
Painting an AR, just like assembling one, is a way of making it your own. There are right ways and wrong ways of doing so. Edit: the wrong way is one that affects the function of controls and releases.

For me appearance always comes after function.

Inkslinger
11-30-18, 13:59
I don't know about Doc Safari, but, yeah, I'm just here to find out what the dress code is for my next high round count carbine class.

I like a nice slim fit flannel shirt sprinkled with some dead sexy multicam accessories. I find it makes me and my painted rifle look much more ninja esque while playing a symphony on the steel.

Inkslinger
11-30-18, 14:00
That's way too hard for some. It takes time, measurements, drills, and checking your ego at the door.

My best range day is when nobody else is around to see my obviously peacocking painted ARs, so their shots don't mess with my timer and I can walk to my targets by looking left / right at no one, muttering 'cold range'.

The fact that this thread even exists on this site confuses me...

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 14:02

Come on...it's all in good fun. Really too many are taking it waaaaaay too seriously.

I wanted to subtitle this thread, "Does this camo job make my rifle look fat?"

26 Inf
11-30-18, 16:04
I like a nice slim fit flannel shirt sprinkled with some dead sexy multicam accessories. I find it makes me and my painted rifle look much more ninja esque while playing a symphony on the steel.

See that's always the problem, a poor kid can never compete with a cool kid. All I got is Big Smith bibbers, a long john undershirt and a DeKalb seed hat. No extra money for spray paint. And I'm supposed to compete with a Metrosexual Lumberjack rocking an oiled beard and sharply parted hair? I can barely afford the velcro to mount a morale patch to my bibs. Oh, the humanity!

Inkslinger
11-30-18, 16:35
See that's always the problem, a poor kid can never compete with a cool kid. All I got is Big Smith bibbers, a long john undershirt and a DeKalb seed hat. No extra money for spray paint. And I'm supposed to compete with a Metrosexual Lumberjack rocking an oiled beard and sharply parted hair? I can barely afford the velcro to mount a morale patch to my bibs. Oh, the humanity!

I’ll trade you a John Deere hat that’s barely clinging to life (has that sweet plowed field patina) for your DeKalb hat.

RobertTheTexan
11-30-18, 16:47

I don't object, by the way, to professionally rendered camo paint or other finish jobs. If I did I'd have to sell my Colt M4 with factory Vietnam tiger stripe camo. It's waaaaay cool. I'm just saying that taking your AR out in the backyard with a couple cans of Krylon is just bubbafied amateurish nonsense. Sorta like pasting fake bullet holes on your vehicle. It's like when you built models as a kid and instead of using the factory professionally rendered decals you tried to freehand paint the insignia on your airplane or whatever. Just looks like someone with too much free time and probably not much artistic skill.

As the saying goes, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”

Apparently us lower life forms have not reached your level of “professional critical artistic excellence” that you so smugly possess.

Goodness!

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 16:49

Apparently us lower life forms have not reached your level of “professional critical artistic excellence” that you so smugly possess.

Goodness!

I love it. LOL. :lol:

I'VE TAKEN FINE ART CLASSES, PAL! LOLOLOL!

boltcatch
11-30-18, 16:50

The topic is fine, it's the emphasis on what people perceive to be other peoples' perceptions that is sort of silly.

There are real downsides to painting some things -

- You may void warranties. Last I read (product manual) this was the case with Steiner lasers
- Parts should be thoroughly de-greased before painting. This means that your corrosion protection will then be the paint itself, and camo krylon isn't very good at protecting parkerized steel.
- Some insect repellents make paint gummy (already mentioned), as do certain oils and cleaning solvents
- Resale value is a real concern for certain items if you want to sell them some day
- Your particular firearm may become extremely unique and thus identifiable via photos

I big positive that I don't think I've seen mentioned here is that non-black firearms are frequently "invisible" to non-gun people that aren't paying attention. I've seen it happen quite a bit, with both factory and rattle can finishes.

In terms of pure concealment vs an observer, a well done rattle can finish is going to outperform most factory or custom-shop applied camo finishes like alumahyde, hydro dipping, etc. This is because they're usually using patterns that are limited by concerns of mass production, fabric printing, use across many different environments, etc. Those professionally applied finishes also often have the sort of non-visible spectrum issues you see between commercial and military patterns.

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 16:52
The topic is fine, it's the emphasis on what people perceive to be other peoples' perceptions that is sort of silly.

There are real downsides to painting some things -

- You may void warranties. Last I read (product manual) this was the case with Steiner lasers
- Parts should be thoroughly de-greased before painting. This means that your corrosion protection will then be the paint itself, and camo krylon isn't very good at protecting steel.
- Some insect repellents make paint gummy (already mentioned), as do certain oils and cleaning solvents
- Resale value is a real concern for certain items if you want to sell them some day
- Your particular firearm may become extremely unique and thus identifiable via photos

I big positive that I don't think I've seen mentioned here is that non-black firearms are frequently "invisible" to non-gun people that aren't paying attention. I've seen it happen quite a bit, with both factory and rattle-can finishes.

Most intelligent post in this thread so far. Thank you.

I'll reiterate: I'm all for professional finishes, just not backyard paint jobs.

RHINOWSO
11-30-18, 16:57

I know, a certain number of OPs post like it's facebook.

"No, the gun doesn't make you look fat, the FAT makes you look FAT" type thing.

RHINOWSO
11-30-18, 16:57

Winner Winner, chicken dinner.

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 16:59
I know, a certain number of OPs post like it's facebook.

"No, the gun doesn't make you look fat, the FAT makes you look FAT" type thing.

Takin' it way too seriously. Not every thread can be about totally serious stuff I don't think. Painting your AR is indeed fun, even if it makes you look fat.

And what the Hell is Facebook? Never heard of it.

markm
11-30-18, 17:25
I'll reiterate: I'm all for professional finishes, just not backyard paint jobs.

I'm the opposite. Taking your gun to get a foo foo boutique job is silly to me. No problem if someone does this... but a flawless camo finish job is too safe queeny. A rattle can job where some black starts to bleed through from wear, really makes a good, functional camo job.

RobertTheTexan
11-30-18, 17:29
I'm the opposite. Taking your gun to get a foo foo boutique job is silly to me. No problem if someone does this... but a flawless camo finish job is too safe queeny. A rattle can job where some black starts to bleed through from wear, really makes a good, functional camo job.

You just won the Internet.

26 Inf
11-30-18, 17:49
I’ll trade you a John Deere hat that’s barely clinging to life (has that sweet plowed field patina) for your DeKalb hat.

How about an Amish Farmer hat? I'll get one for you the next time I throw a road rage fit about those tax evading folks driving there untitled, uninsured, tractors on state and county highways.

26 Inf
11-30-18, 17:53
Robert -

I wouldn't go chunkin' dirt clobs about:

Apparently us lower life forms have not reached your level of “professional critical artistic excellence” that you so smugly possess. Goodness!

If my account was rocking that Farmboy looking Boudoir Avatar.

Not trying to be hurtful, just saying....Bless your heart.

Inkslinger
11-30-18, 17:56
How about an Amish Farmer hat? I'll get one for you the next time I throw a road rage fit about those tax evading folks driving there untitled, uninsured, tractors on state and county highways.

Don’t get me started on them. I’m deep behind enemy lines with those folks.

RHINOWSO
11-30-18, 18:29

This. Why spend a couple hundred on a boutique finish when $30 of rattle can and blue tape can paint several of your own.

Seems vain to me ;)

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-30-18, 19:12
This is my camo AR. Factory Colt. Professionally done. Doesn't look bubba although one could argue Vietnam tiger stripe is so 1960's.

Point being: it's not an amateur hardware store paint job that just screams mall ninja. Like it or don't like it you can tell it was professionally done. It looks like it "belongs" there because it came from the factory with that paint job. If it were done by a professional aftermarket finishing house, same thing.

That's the difference I'm pointing out. I don't mean to piss on anybody's paint job. Paint it whatever color(s) and patterns you want. I'm just saying that in my humble opinion a home paint job is about like a home gunsmithing job. Whether or not it's quality depends to large degree on who and how it was done and whether or not it looks like some dude with too much free time wanting to run around in the woods playing militia.

I'm not just saying this because of this thread, but if that were mine, I wouldn't be calling anyone a wanna be militia bubba. That's one of the ugliest paint jobs I've seen, professionally done or not.

RHINOWSO
11-30-18, 20:48
Yeah, it's like a black rifle with tiger stripe camo accents. I wouldn't even call it a camo'ed rifle, because nearly half of it is still black.

Which is fine, it's a free country.

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 20:49
I'm not just saying this because of this thread, but if that were mine, I wouldn't be calling anyone a wanna be militia bubba. That's one of the ugliest paint jobs I've seen, professionally done or not.

Come on. You know that paint scheme is TITS. Maybe not big floppy Oprah titties, but TITS nonetheless. Heavens to Murgatroyd!

turnburglar
11-30-18, 21:08
In a thick AZ accent: "CHIT YEA FRIEND!"

I think having a pro done camo job makes you look like a queen with a designer bag. The rest of us gotta go to home depot to whore it out.

I have done atleast a dozen rifles with krylon, and if you do it lightly over a few coats they will last over time. The mistake people make is applying too much at once, and while it may dry and look even, if you dont space out the drying process the paint just doesnt stick when abused. Sweat is really bad for the paint, but I really DGAF about keeping apaint job pristine. My main fraken gun has probably had 5 paintjobs on it, because I have always tried to acomplish the perfect "multicam from a rattle can". My most recent attempt turned out pretty good and now I cant wait to strip it down and go in a completly differnt direction. I like the net look and am gonna take it to a level its never been before. 11.

26 Inf
11-30-18, 21:36
Don’t get me started on them. I’m deep behind enemy lines with those folks.

Oh, snap.

Do yours tow those pickup bed trailers with a camper shell on them stuffed with other Amish folks? You know something, in addition to operating as a motor vehicle without tags and insurance, that is totally illegal.

Anyone else would get stopped and ticketed, heck I've seen them hauling kids on the decks of pontoon boats under tow. Wonder how far I'd get if I loaded up the grand kids in the boat and started towing it to the lake?

Not too far, I'll betcha.

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 21:40

In a thick AZ accent: "CHIT YEA FRIEND!"

I think having a pro done camo job makes you look like a queen with a designer bag. The rest of us gotta go to home depot to whore it out.

I have done atleast a dozen rifles with krylon, and if you do it lightly over a few coats they will last over time. The mistake people make is applying too much at once, and while it may dry and look even, if you dont space out the drying process the paint just doesnt stick when abused. Sweat is really bad for the paint, but I really DGAF about keeping apaint job pristine. My main fraken gun has probably had 5 paintjobs on it, because I have always tried to acomplish the perfect "multicam from a rattle can". My most recent attempt turned out pretty good and now I cant wait to strip it down and go in a completly differnt direction. I like the net look and am gonna take it to a level its never been before. 11.

I have seen a pro multicam job. That one was cool.

RobertTheTexan
11-30-18, 21:43
Robert -

I wouldn't go chunkin' dirt clobs about:

If my account was rocking that Farmboy looking Boudoir Avatar.

Not trying to be hurtful, just saying....Bless your heart.

I’M TOTALLY CONFOUNDED NOW! What in the name of Sam Houston do you expect? I am a Texan. How else ought we to dress when we’re out in the back 40 running and gunning? With our rattle can painted AR’s

And what the hell is a boudoir? That thing that washes your butt?

We don’t much cotton to them fancy thangs here in the Great Republic. Especially anything that squirts anything on the backdoor of the barn. It ain’t right and it ain’t biblical. I think you need to repent my brother! Repent!!!! Repent!!!!

Travelingchild
11-30-18, 21:51
My question what defines Professional? What I'm inferring from Doc. Safari posts is that the Paint job must have crisp, clean, lines, with defined Camo Patterns which are easily distinguishable by the human brain through the as seen through the eye.

"Patterns" is an oxymoron to me when discussing camo, I'm guessing that's why you don't like rattle can paint jobs, because depending on how It is viewed the Rifle Itself does not present a Defined Artistically Pattern by and of Itself, even though it disappears into the surroundings. Which is the Point, it's not there..

Your sample, of Tiger Stripe Looks like a Rifle with Tiger Stripe Camo Pattern toss it in the grass, it looks like a Rifle with A Professionally done Tiger Stripe Camo Pattern laying in the grass, as in, There It is..

Many people cannot deal with randomness which is what, I'm inferring from your posts.

Example..When I worked with a Pot-eradication contract on National Lands many grows were found because the growers laid the plants in straight lines, Nature doesn't grow stuff like that, She's random

Example.. In construction some Clients want their rustic wood floors to have a random nailing pattern, Many flooring guys can't do it because their minds need a pattern.
Even if I toss the nails in the air and tell them to nail them where they land, they invariably nail them in straight lines, because they can't deal with randomness.

Fyi I prefer French Lizard Camo, no black less defined ....More random

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 21:57

My question what defines Professional? What I'm inferring from Doc. Safari posts is that the Paint job must have crisp, clean, lines, with defined Camo Patterns which are easily distinguishable by the human brain through the as seen through the eye.

"Patterns" is an oxymoron to me when discussing camo, I'm guessing that's why you don't like rattle can paint jobs, because depending on how It is viewed the Rifle Itself does not present a Defined Artistically Pattern by and of Itself, even though it disappears into the surroundings. Which is the Point, it's not there..

Your sample, of Tiger Stripe Looks like a Rifle with Tiger Stripe Camo Pattern toss it in the grass, it looks like a Rifle with A Professionally done Tiger Stripe Camo Pattern laying in the grass, as in, There It is..

Many people cannot deal with randomness which is what, I'm inferring from your posts.

Example..When I worked with a Pot-eradication contract on National Lands many grows were found because the growers laid the plants in straight lines, Nature doesn't grow stuff like that, She's random

Example.. In construction some Clients want their rustic wood floors to have a random nailing pattern, Many flooring guys can't do it because their minds need a pattern.
Even if I toss the nails in the air and tell them to nail them where they land, they invariably nail them in straight lines, because they can't deal with randomness.

Fyi I prefer French Lizard Camo, no black less defined ....More random

All I'm saying is you can tell when someone has repainted his own car and when he has had it properly done.

RobertTheTexan
11-30-18, 22:11
Hi. My name is Robert and I’m an amateur rattle can AR painter.

I’ve painted 5 AR’s and it’s been 257 days since I painted my last AR.

https://i.postimg.cc/NMtMY3M0/84-E8-E881-F393-4-CB7-818-B-B0-E6-D99-D1-EE8.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/KYMMgn6F/853-C19-A4-1586-4957-B1-D5-5-C5268-DBEBE3.jpg

(No disrespect to the program intended. BTDT)

Alpine2k3
11-30-18, 22:13
You didn’t paint the BCG [emoji14]

Doc Safari
11-30-18, 22:21
I just want to say I'm amazed at the interest this thread has generated. Thanks to everyone for your participation.

militarymoron
11-30-18, 23:29
Ok, this thread is useless without pics :-)
Just because someone charges for a paint job doesn't make them a 'professional'. I've seen some really ugly/shoddy 'professional' rifle camo jobs, as well as some works of art.

I painted one of my ARs years ago (it's my Colt SP1) because I was writing articles on camo and a black rifle just stood out too much. I used Aervoe with my own blob pattern template made out of cardboard. It's the equivalent of a 'trunk gun' that I love to shoot, but don't worry about it getting dinged up.

https://i.imgur.com/9GEDyMR.jpg

I also painted my Rem 700 in the same colours because I was shooting a lot in the desert, and I liked the look of it. It also came in handy when I wrote an article about a ghillie hood.

https://i.imgur.com/FuKFSuq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MSaxcjX.jpg

RobertTheTexan
12-01-18, 02:12
You didn’t paint the BCG [emoji14]

Nope! I didn’t paint the BCG. ::):
But that did start off a pretty fugly AR. Except for the lower which was an 80, (the very first 80% I milled with my own two hands.) I had it cerakoted because it was naked at that point. Every other part on that AR was bought used on the E&E or use parts from a buddy.)

I called it my Used Car AR (UCAR). Ran like a scalded dog though. Flawlessly. And no issues with the lower!

https://i.postimg.cc/yd0FFRbq/7-C3-FBAF7-1235-46-B7-88-FA-48-ACDEB64-FE2.jpg

Firefly
12-01-18, 04:42
If you have an old school AICS stock, I automatically hate you.

For years "oh I'll get one later" and now, you can't without a markup. The new ones are "better" but I just wanted the classic for a .300 win mag remington 700.

Still, that Arid scheme really does blend in and looks nice.

Moose-Knuckle
12-01-18, 05:13

While I don't object to the idea of painting one's guns, I do agree that artificially aging or wearing your paint job to look "battle worn" is quite lame.

Yeah I never suggested anyone purposely giving their blasters a "worn look" like the acid / stoned washed jeans of yester year. That is all kinds of gay. I was talking about dudes using rattle cans to paint their rifles and the paint wears off over time due to actual use of the gun.

There are plenty of LARP'ers and posers on gun forums, try looking through the various tactical gear pic threads. We have more than a few on here.

I also think anything "artistic" on a firearm which I view as a tool is gayer than Richard Simmons with a Shakeweight but to each their own. YMMV.

Moose-Knuckle
12-01-18, 05:31
I'm almost (I said "almost" ) of the opinion that a fake worn or battlefield pickup look is borderline stolen valor.

So I'm really suspicious any time I see a lot of patina or wear on a civilian M4.

Come on...it's all in good fun. Really too many are taking it waaaaaay too seriously.

A rattle can paint job that has worn off on the contact points of a civilian AR is now being compared to stolen valor . . . :blink:

Doc, it would appear it is you sir who are taking all this waaaaaay too seriously.

R6436
12-01-18, 07:28
I also think anything "artistic" on a firearm which I view as a tool is gayer than Richard Simmons with a Shakeweight but to each their own. YMMV.

While I've never painted an AR, the times I have painted equipment I've always included my initials somewhere in the paint job. Does that make it "artistic"? If so I need to start charging more for my "services". ;-)

Closest I ever got so far to having an AR "camo" was mixing factory cerakote'd components of different colors. Foliage Green in small amounts blends well with FDE and UDE. Toss on a wooden stock that's well oiled and even anti "assault weapon" types will strike up a friendly conversation. Ended up the best "camo" for my area.

Circle_10
12-01-18, 08:18
Yeah I never suggested anyone purposely giving their blasters a "worn look" like the acid / stoned washed jeans of yester year. That is all kinds of gay. I was talking about dudes using rattle cans to paint their rifles and the paint wears off over time due to actual use of the gun.

Yep, that's what's happening on both of my painted guns.
The paint job on Gun 01 here could be described as slightly LARPish I guess, since the rattle camo color scheme is a bit unnecessary, but I wanted to give painting an AR a try.
http://i.imgur.com/PlCtOXa.jpg

Gun 06, which was more of less a "spare parts" build, was more recently painted. I did the upper and lower receivers back in July, and I finally found paint that matches the color of that Brownells Type D stock almost exactly so I did the handguard/VFG up in brown. While I'm kinda neutral on the camo job on Gun 01, I actually like the grey/brown scheme of this gun. And I don't find it to be LARPish.
http://i.imgur.com/hih1zDF.jpg
It might look like a bit of a goofy configuration overall but I've found it to actually be a pretty good gun.

JediGuy
12-01-18, 09:01
I can’t believe I’m actually going to join this...

But, I tend to agree that most painted AR’s look poser-ish.
At the same time, I like the idea of non-black rifles for the reason suggested shortly above: it isn’t “scary” to non- gun folk. And that can help our cause.

Run N Shoot
12-01-18, 09:08
So what is the view on things like Gunskins? Seems like a decent in between step if you don’t want to rattle can and don’t want to spring for a full on professional paint job. I got no dog in this fight but I have debated picking up some some Krylon on more than one occasion.

RHINOWSO
12-01-18, 10:35
A rattle can paint job that has worn off on the contact points of a civilian AR is now being compared to stolen valor . . . :blink:

Doc, it would appear it is you sir who are taking all this waaaaaay too seriously.

Yeah, I like how his 'argument' has morphed over time.

Backpedal backpedal, shift, shift. :D :D :D

Doc Safari
12-01-18, 12:18
LOL I'm just having fun with this. I may come up with more crazy shit here in a bit.

ViniVidivici
12-01-18, 12:24
I shall now coin a new term: "rattlecam"!

Tx_Aggie
12-01-18, 12:39
LOL I'm just having fun with this. I may come up with more crazy shit here in a bit.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/24240001/troll-harder.jpg

Inkslinger
12-01-18, 12:42

Post it here if you do.
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?60-General-Discussion

RobertTheTexan
12-01-18, 12:54

Actually Mr. Safari, what you have been saying is that anyone who rattle cans paints their AR is:
1) an amateur or what was it? ”Billy Bob amateurish”
2) a wannabe that runs around the woods playing militia. (We called it “playing Army”)
3) A person trying to steal valor.

Your words, not mine. :)

Question for you Doc Safari - do you build any of your AR’s or all they all bought as complete rifles in one form or the other?

RobertTheTexan
12-01-18, 12:58

Says the hawg driver... 🤣🤣🤣

RHINOWSO
12-01-18, 14:19
Attention whoring. Facebook or TOS is a better place for that bull$hit.

Doc Safari
12-01-18, 14:27
Too much butthurt for a subject that could be fun. Sorry if I offended anybody. I just felt like having a little fun with a subject for a change instead of all the deadly serious current events n stuff.

Frankly I was hoping somebody would make such a good argument in favor of painting that it would convince me to do one of my rifles.

vandal5
12-01-18, 14:30
Now you must repent...
Krylon one of your ARs and post it.

All will be forgiven lol.
Too much butthurt for a subject that could be fun. Sorry if I offended anybody. I just felt like having a little fun with a subject for a change instead of all the deadly serious current events n stuff.

Sent from my PIP-BOY 3000 using Tapatalk

Inkslinger
12-01-18, 14:32

Frankly I was hoping somebody would make such a good argument in favor of painting that it would convince me to do one of my rifles.

The only argument you needed was potentially being thought of as a “mall ninja”.

26 Inf
12-01-18, 14:32
Says the hawg driver... ������

Well, yeah, no money for clothing.

ETA: Last night I thought I posted a whole epistle explaining the difference between bidet and boudoir, plus explaining the concepts and techniques of boudoir photography.

I somehow deleted it and, after a good night's sleep am no longer inspired to share my knowledge of these subjects.

Tomorrow though, if you insist, I will ask my Pastor if I need to repent regarding my usage of the shower hose to rinse off with. (yeah, I know, a preposition)

jsbhike
12-01-18, 16:32
So what is the view on things like Gunskins? Seems like a decent in between step if you don’t want to rattle can and don’t want to spring for a full on professional paint job. I got no dog in this fight but I have debated picking up some some Krylon on more than one occasion.

I have put a couple on and the only immediate downside I can see with Gunskins is that they are kinda slick. I really haven't had them out using them to comment on durability, but if my assumption that they are the same thing as car wraps is correct they should be fairly tough.

jsbhike
12-01-18, 16:39

DEET is a plasticizer so there are plenty of things common around firearms that it is hard on. In my experience Picaridin works as well without worrying about it dissolving stuff and isn't oily feeling like DEET.

JediGuy
12-01-18, 19:10
2) a wannabe that runs around the woods playing militia. (We called it “playing Army”)

We just went ahead and called it “playing guns.” Preteens can get creative about rules for this sort of thing, too.

Fordtough25
12-01-18, 21:59
I've painted several over the years, works well for making a black rifle blend in to ones environment! It's cheap, fun, and using your natural foliage makes the rifle fit in great. If you hate it grab a can of brake cleaner and go to town! They're just tools anyways right?

The Rat
12-01-18, 22:31
I've painted several over the years, works well for making a black rifle blend in to ones environment! It's cheap, fun, and using your natural foliage makes the rifle fit in great. If you hate it grab a can of brake cleaner and go to town! They're just tools anyways right?

Yep, it's just a tool for a job, agree.

This thread is like the gun guy version "Oh my god Becky, did you see the color of her dress? That is soooo not business casual."

Yeetster
12-02-18, 00:02
At this point i say blast it ...its salad days for ar-15's (and i hope it stays that way) so resell value isn't a real concern for me anyway.

Moose-Knuckle
12-02-18, 06:47
Yep, that's what's happening on both of my painted guns.
The paint job on Gun 01 here could be described as slightly LARPish I guess, since the rattle camo color scheme is a bit unnecessary, but I wanted to give painting an AR a try.
http://i.imgur.com/PlCtOXa.jpg

Gun 06, which was more of less a "spare parts" build, was more recently painted. I did the upper and lower receivers back in July, and I finally found paint that matches the color of that Brownells Type D stock almost exactly so I did the handguard/VFG up in brown. While I'm kinda neutral on the camo job on Gun 01, I actually like the grey/brown scheme of this gun. And I don't find it to be LARPish.
http://i.imgur.com/hih1zDF.jpg
It might look like a bit of a goofy configuration overall but I've found it to actually be a pretty good gun.

I think spare-parts-bin builds make for some of the coolest projects. Just something about repurposing unused parts and saving money that gets me to a happy place.

I like how the brown furniture turned out, before I read your comment the Brownells retro AR-10 came to mind.

Circle_10
12-02-18, 09:41
I think spare-parts-bin builds make for some of the coolest projects. Just something about repurposing unused parts and saving money that gets me to a happy place.

I like how the brown furniture turned out, before I read your comment the Brownells retro AR-10 came to mind.

The passing resemblance to the old AR-10 started as a coincidence and then later became intentional when I finally decided to paint the handguard/VFG. I almost went with a leather G3 sling for it for some extra Retro flavor but that seemed a little stupid when I already have a pretty good sling on there

acb1499
12-12-18, 22:01
I always tape off all markings/ engravings, keeps the paint out of engraved letters and you won’t paint over anything lasered. Very reversible, but have never stripped paint on anything.