PDA

View Full Version : 7.0 earthquake Anchorage

austinN4
11-30-18, 13:28
First the bear attack thread, now this:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us1000hyfh/executive

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alaska-earthquake-today-anchorage-tsunami-alert-issued-live-updates/

LoboTBL
11-30-18, 13:39
Just confirmed that a friend of mine is ok up there. He said it was definitely a big one!

AKDoug
11-30-18, 14:46
About 45 miles south of me. It was the biggest I've felt in 40+ years of living up here. They are still assessing transportation issues in and out of Anchorage and the international airport. No reports of deaths or injuries at this point, but there will be millions in property damage. Entire city and most of the outlying areas are out of power.

Anchorage only has one way in and out, and has about 60,000 commuters that travel it from Wasilla and Palmer. Most folks are headed home, but the capacity of the highway is diminished with bridge damage and some road damage.

At my hardware store we lost about $500 in product. Mostly cleaners and a few cans of paint. No structural damage. My wife has a Christmas gift shop and there was quite a bit of loss.

Alex V
11-30-18, 14:57
About 45 miles south of me. It was the biggest I've felt in 40+ years of living up here. They are still assessing transportation issues in and out of Anchorage and the international airport. No reports of deaths or injuries at this point, but there will be millions in property damage. Entire city and most of the outlying areas are out of power.

Anchorage only has one way in and out, and has about 60,000 commuters that travel it from Wasilla and Palmer. Most folks are headed home, but the capacity of the highway is diminished with bridge damage and some road damage.

At my hardware store we lost about $500 in product. Mostly cleaners and a few cans of paint. No structural damage. My wife has a Christmas gift shop and there was quite a bit of loss.

Damn dude. As long as you and your family is okay, the rest should square itself away.

That a big one for sure. I have only been in a couple of very minor earthquakes. One I didn't even know happened. It was a centered in VA in 2011, by the time it got to NJ it wasn't anything crazy. I was in a conference room going over a project with other architects engineers, walk out and everyone in the office was is asking me if I felt it. I can't imagine what a 7.0 would be like.

Stay safe!

VIP3R 237
11-30-18, 15:15
My aunt and uncle live in peters creek and my aunt says a bridge collapsed between them and anchorage, and my uncle is stuck in anchorage.

AKDoug
11-30-18, 16:19
My aunt and uncle live in peters creek and my aunt says a bridge collapsed between them and anchorage, and my uncle is stuck in anchorage. Traffic is moving with re-routes around the damage, but it's really slow.

Damn dude. As long as you and your family is okay, the rest should square itself away.

That a big one for sure. I have only been in a couple of very minor earthquakes. One I didn't even know happened. It was a centered in VA in 2011, by the time it got to NJ it wasn't anything crazy. I was in a conference room going over a project with other architects engineers, walk out and everyone in the office was is asking me if I felt it. I can't imagine what a 7.0 would be like.

Stay safe! Imagine someone putting a front end loader against the side of your house and shaking it for about 90 seconds. I'm still shocked at what modern construction can withstand without even cracking drywall seams. I had to time the waves to get my front door open to my house.

austinN4
11-30-18, 16:21
Video: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46403405

Coal Dragger
11-30-18, 17:29

Glad you’re OK.

Tx_Aggie
11-30-18, 23:39
Glad you’re OK.

Ditto. Glad you and your wife made it through ok, Doug.

AKDoug
12-01-18, 00:04
Thanks for the well wishes. Other than some extensive household cleanup, 90% of 300,000 people fared just fine. Probably 10% of homes have actual structural damage. Pretty much everyone has their power back on and there are about 200 folks with gas issues. Amazingly there have been very few fires, no deaths and few injuries. For a 7.0 earthquake striking right under about 1/2 of Alaska's population, there has been remarkably little damage. Earthquakes this size usually kill dozens, if not thousands in some other countries.

Buckaroo
12-01-18, 00:08
Thanks for the well wishes. Other than some extensive household cleanup, 90% of 300,000 people fared just fine. Probably 10% of homes have actual structural damage. Pretty much everyone has their power back on and there are about 200 folks with gas issues. Amazingly there have been very few fires, no deaths and few injuries. For a 7.0 earthquake striking right under about 1/2 of Alaska's population, there has been remarkably little damage. Earthquakes this size usually kill dozens, if not thousands in some other countries.PTL, glad to hear that power has been restored to most!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

austinN4
12-01-18, 04:56
Thanks for the well wishes. Other than some extensive household cleanup, 90% of 300,000 people fared just fine. Probably 10% of homes have actual structural damage. Pretty much everyone has their power back on and there are about 200 folks with gas issues. Amazingly there have been very few fires, no deaths and few injuries. For a 7.0 earthquake striking right under about 1/2 of Alaska's population, there has been remarkably little damage. Earthquakes this size usually kill dozens, if not thousands in some other countries.
That is good news. Thanks for the update.

Moose-Knuckle
12-01-18, 06:12
Doug, sorry to hear about the damage to your wife's shoppe right at the height of the retail season.

Good to hear you and your's are okay along with the people of Anchorage, 7.0 is no joke.

AKDoug
12-01-18, 17:31
Doug, sorry to hear about the damage to your wife's shoppe right at the height of the retail season.

Good to hear you and your's are okay along with the people of Anchorage, 7.0 is no joke.

Thanks man. Her total losses were not substantial, an amazing amount of product that ended up on the floor was intact. Her sewing room didn't have any broken stuff in it, but she's on hour ten of sorting the mess out. I figured our heavy equipment shop was going to be a shambles, but only a couple things fell over.

There's a good Facebook meme running around that says if you have relatives in Anchorage AK, send them dishes for Christmas.

The other lesson many learned is that earthquake insurance is a rider on your homeowners insurance and a vast majority of people do not have it attached. I went in to work this morning to review my insurance for my business and discovered I was not covered either. Going to remedy that on Monday as this is the second 7+ earthquake my building has survived.

AKDoug
12-01-18, 21:15
This is how Alaskans roll... State H.S. volleyball tournament in Anchorage when the quake hits. All teams stay in town. Public school district closes all activities for four days. Private Christian school hires engineers to check their gyms out. Gives the tournament an all clear, says come on over and they are back to playing today. To top it off our local high school makes it to the championship game tonight.