PDA

View Full Version : How do y'all avoid "Glock Leg?"

Uni-Vibe
11-30-18, 13:38
Every day carriers of Glock, VP9, M&P etc w/o thumb safety:

How do you avoid a discharge when re-holstering the gun? Seems to me like a fold of clothing or something similar, even the edge of the holster, could catch the trigger and make it fire.

What do y'all do to avoid this?

Inkslinger
11-30-18, 13:41
Secure your garment, look into holster, insert slowly and deliberately. Stop if you feel any resistance. It’s not rocket science.

jack crab
11-30-18, 13:43
The Glock Striker Control Device (SCD) from the Tau Development Group—commonly called The Gadget—replaces the back plate on a Glock slide (where the hammer would be on a hammer-fired pistol) that makes the gun safer during the operation where an accidental discharge is most likely to occur: when it's being holstered.

RHINOWSO
11-30-18, 13:49
Secure your garment, look into holster, insert slowly and deliberately. Stop if you feel any resistance. It’s not rocket science.
Yup, common sense ain't so common tho.

Wake27
11-30-18, 14:00
Maybe not the only method, but my preferred TTP/SOP/MO that I have thoroughly vetted and am willing to start internet wars over is to make sure nothing pulls the trigger as its holstered.

officerX
11-30-18, 14:06

That’s worked for 15+ years now for me.

TMS951
11-30-18, 14:24
Take your time. Be deliberate in your movements. Check for obstructions.

No gun fight has been won based on how fast some one reholstered.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-30-18, 14:25
Look into your holster when reholstering. If it's an IWB holster, remove the holster and from the waistband if you can't see into it. It's almost 2019 folks, this shouldn't even be a question.

MegademiC
11-30-18, 14:56

This. I also make sure my body ( leg/foot) is clear of the muzzle when pushing the gun intocthe holster. This is for owb 3:00 and aiwb.

TexasAggie2005
11-30-18, 14:59

This.

The Glock Striker Control Device (SCD) from the Tau Development Group—commonly called The Gadget—replaces the back plate on a Glock slide (where the hammer would be on a hammer-fired pistol) that makes the gun safer during the operation where an accidental discharge is most likely to occur: when it's being holstered.

And this.

Sam
11-30-18, 14:59
Every day carriers of Glock, VP9, M&P etc w/o thumb safety:

Those are called "striker fired" guns. They've been popular since the first glock came out in the mid 80s. Yes, people have shot themselves with striker fired guns, and that's exactly it, they "shot" themselves. Something made the trigger go back while the gun is pointing at their body. It doesn't matter what that "something" is that made the trigger go back. Keep that "something" from contacting the trigger.

There are also countless others that have been carrying striker fired guns for over 30 years without shooting themselves or having an accident while holstering.

Seems to me like a fold of clothing or something similar, even the edge of the holster, could catch the trigger and make it fire.

Something made the trigger go back while the gun is pointing at their body. It doesn't matter what that "something" is that made the trigger go back. Keep that "something" from contacting the trigger. Whether it's the finger, clothing or any other foreign object. There are dozen to hundred of things that could get in the way of the trigger if one is messy, so don't get messy. Be neat while you manipulating that gun in and out of the holster and you won't get shot. We can't simply list them all, but here are some of the common things that could get in the way:

Shirt tails/inner garments - Watch that shirt tail when you holster. If there is materials near the opening of the holster, remove the material with your thumb on the gun hand or use the non gun hand to steer the material clear.

When worn with a tucked in shirt and using inside the pants holster, the tucked in part can easily work itself into a mess and get out of control. Take the time the adjust your tuck.

When wearing an outer garment that has pull strings, tabs, etc. on the same size of the gun, REMOVE those things. Documented cases showed pull strings from a jacket, hoody, etc. worked their way into the holster and cause accident.

Get a quality holster. Don't pay $15 for a floppy holster that need three hands to holster. If you're serious about carrying a gun, buy a good holster. If the "edge of the holster" can catch the trigger, that holster is junk. A quality holster has a rigid opening that won't deform enough to work its way into the trigger guard. A quality kydex holster won't do that. A reinforced opening on a quality leather holster won't collapse. Even some high quality with no reinforcement in the opening won't collapse enough to cause an accident.

Here is a good video on holstering, yes, Dave Spauding advocate looking at your holster as you put the gun in. He also gave several tips how to efficiently holster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFCL_j491g

There are videos on youtube/internet that are not worth watching, the one above by Dave Spaulding is a good one, his whole library of videos are excellent.

If you're not sure of yourself, get quality training. There are also poor training and wasting money.

Others have said, use common sense. Take your time holstering. You don't gain anything for speed holstering.

thopkins22
11-30-18, 19:03
There is zero excuse to not take your time and slowly re-holster at any point pretty much any time.

No competition will have you on the clock while putting your gun away, and if you’ve just drawn in anger, take your time and make sure you don’t need to continue servicing the threat.

Re-holstering all quick is pure cool guy points, except it doesn’t look cool.

If a thumb safety was preventing you from shooting yourself, you were doing something seriously incorrect.

flenna
11-30-18, 19:21
I avoid it by not pulling the trigger while pointing my pistol at my leg;). Serious, though, Sam nailed it. Follow that and you will be GTG.

daniel87
11-30-18, 19:43
Keep finger of trigger
Pull cover garment up and away from holster
Slowly and deliberately holster the gun

Its not rocket science.

Here is a great quote

"No one has won a gun fight by holstering fast. Why rush it."

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

joe.a
11-30-18, 21:03

Bingo.

I've also seen people who were unsure due to stress/unfamiliar clothing/whatever, take their holster off, insert their firearm, then put their holster back on. (AIWB) I have mixed feelings about this but I suppose it worked well enough...

Vandal
11-30-18, 21:19

This can even be accomplished while you and your partner are taking a proned-out and previously uncooperative suspect into custody, in the dark, after breaking your fibula in two places. I may have done exactly this on Sunday.

TLDR; it's not that f*(king hard to do, just be safe about it. You have all the time in the world to reholster.

HMM
11-30-18, 21:25
Another vote for the Glock Striker Control Device (SCD) from the Tau Development Group. I've got one on my Glock and couldn't imagine not having it at this point. I carry AIWB so it's a must have for me otherwise I wouldn't reholster without removing the holster first.

HKGuns
11-30-18, 21:41
I avoid it by not owning gLoCk’s.

Uni-Vibe
11-30-18, 22:45
This can even be accomplished while you and your partner are taking a proned-out and previously uncooperative suspect into custody, in the dark, after breaking your fibula in two places. I may have done exactly this on Sunday.

TLDR; it's not that f*(king hard to do, just be safe about it. You have all the time in the world to reholster.

Do you? How about in a more realistic version of the police scenario you mention? What about CHL where you have to holster quickly to get into a vehicle and bug out, or use both hands to drag your wounded buddy, or . . .

26 Inf
11-30-18, 23:12
Do you? How about in a more realistic version of the police scenario you mention? What about CHL where you have to holster quickly to get into a vehicle and bug out, or use both hands to drag your wounded buddy, or . . .

You can always invent a scenario that ends with 'and then I died.'

Vandal is correct when he points out that IN MOST CASES you have all the time you need to reholster safely, so take it.

Even if you are carrying AIWB with a soft holster, there are alternatives.

Take a second and think - can I shove the pistol in a back pocket? How long does it take to drop mag and eject round to shove the empty weapon in the holster if that is what you want to do. IWB - can you lean a little to make sure the muzzle tracks away from your body as you holster? Narrow your stance so an OWB holster isn't orienting the muzzle at your thigh?

You are on the right track by thinking about it now.

SeriousStudent
11-30-18, 23:18
Ermagawd, how did people not shoot themselves even after Gaston inflicted his horrid device of evil upon us??

By not being stupid, as everyone has said.

I have Gadget's on all my Glocks. But I swear to Odin's beard, I somehow managed to not assassinate myself without them for many years.

If you can't keep from shooting yourself when you reholster, gardening might be a better hobby.

Is this a troll thread?

26 Inf
11-30-18, 23:23
Is this a troll thread?

Read the ode to the 1911 in Post #1 - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?211345-I-now-humbly-apologize-and-withdraw-my-earlier-position-on-modern-pistols

As you said iin the Q thread, FML.

Arik
12-01-18, 00:15
I carry my glock in condition butterscotch

ramairthree
12-01-18, 00:40
That’s worked for 15+ years now for me.

Yep. Since 1994.

And without a device to pretend my Glock is a DA revolver or DA/SA pistol.

Firefly
12-01-18, 04:50
99% of people who shoot themselves didnt need a handgun to start with.

Glock user for nigh 20 years, Serpa user since '07. No problems

flenna
12-01-18, 06:40
If you can't keep from shooting yourself when you reholster, gardening might be a better hobby.

I wear my Glock while gardening and haven’t shot myself yet ;).

MegademiC
12-01-18, 08:46

Like anything else, once you do it a few thousand times, you can do it quickly and safely. Were talking 2-4seconds, with maybe 1 second of eyes on what your doing.

You dont always need to use the holster, the gap between a car seat and console holds pistols securely.

ST911
12-01-18, 09:53
So this thread is about "how not to shoot yourself" when reholstering, which isn't make/model dependent. Or it's a troll post. Either way, for those that might learn...

Cut dangles and cord locks off any outer garment you wear.
Only use holsters with rigid mouths that remain open and at their full dimensions when the gun is out.
Dry practice.
Holster deliberately and reluctantly only when it is safe to do so and/or as conditions indicate.
Clear any cover garments from the path to the holster.
Clear the holster mouth.
Finger off and away from the trigger..
Watch the guns return to the holster, or take a visual snapshot as it progresses.

I've seen a bunch of NDs at or near the holster, most of which were on the return. They involved various models of guns, include TDA/DA/SA/SF, and required multiple modes of shooter failure. Several involved a Serpa and some were in cavernous gun-bucket duty holsters. If those shooters couldn't keep their fingers off the trigger, their use of an SCD, conventional manual safety, and decocking lever is questionable as well.

There are conditions in which a swift return to the holster is prudent, but it should only be done as quickly as the precautions above can be performed. Some holsters designs will be faster to return to than others.

To the OP's original question, it isn't how to avoid "Glock Leg", but "Clown Leg."

mbinky
12-01-18, 10:17
I carry my glock in condition butterscotch

Does it remind you of granddad? ;)

I avoid <insert firearm brand here> leg by paying attention to what I am doing. Worked so far.

Arik
12-01-18, 10:55
Does it remind you of granddad? ;)

I avoid leg by paying attention to what I am doing. Worked so far.

https://youtu.be/8pU2IOTEZlU

SeriousStudent
12-01-18, 12:07
So this thread is about "how not to shoot yourself" when reholstering, which isn't make/model dependent. Or it's a troll post. Either way, for those that might learn...

Cut dangles and cord locks off any outer garment you wear.
Only use holsters with rigid mouths that remain open and at their full dimensions when the gun is out.
Dry practice.
Holster deliberately and reluctantly only when it is safe to do so and/or as conditions indicate.
Clear any cover garments from the path to the holster.
Clear the holster mouth.
Finger off and away from the trigger..
Watch the guns return to the holster, or take a visual snapshot as it progresses.

I've seen a bunch of NDs at or near the holster, most of which were on the return. They involved various models of guns, include TDA/DA/SA/SF, and required multiple modes of shooter failure. Several involved a Serpa and some were in cavernous gun-bucket duty holsters. If those shooters couldn't keep their fingers off the trigger, their use of an SCD, conventional manual safety, and decocking lever is questionable as well.

There are conditions in which a swift return to the holster is prudent, but it should only be done as quickly as the precautions above can be performed. Some holsters designs will be faster to return to than others.

To the OP's original question, it isn't how to avoid "Glock Leg", but "Clown Leg."

This post should be stickied to avoid people going full Tex Grebner.

You never go full Tex Grebner.