PDA

View Full Version : Chore-Boy really works to remove lead!

Uni-Vibe
12-02-18, 17:43
I tried it when much soaking in Shooter's Choice Lead Remover and brushing failed to remove that last 10% of the lead in the bore.

I cut several 1.5 inch strands, and wrapped it around the brush. Pass it back and forth a few times, and Voila! No more lead.

But you should use the pure copper kind:

https://www.choreboyscrubbers.com/chore-boy-products/copper-scouring-pads

The ones in local stores are all "copper-coated steel" for cheapness and I don't trust them in my bores. I had to order the real pure copper stuff online. (The bad drives out the good everywhere).

This stuff works and a few pads ought to last years.

I recommend it.

AndyLate
12-02-18, 20:04
I have used it in my .45-70 and it works better than anything else I have tried. Choreboy's website claims Publix grocery stores carry the pure copper pads, I will have to go and see.

Random trivia you probably didn't need to know - people burn the copper coating and oil off the steel chore boy pads and then use them to smoke Crack rocks. Sadly the strung out lady you see buying them didn't decide to spruce up her trailer.

Andy

Uni-Vibe
12-02-18, 20:23
I have used it in my .45-70 and it works better than anything else I have tried. Choreboy's website claims Publix grocery stores carry the pure copper pads, I will have to go and see.

Random trivia you probably didn't need to know - people burn the copper coating and oil off the steel chore boy pads and then use them to smoke Crack rocks. Sadly the strung out lady you see buying them didn't decide to spruce up her trailer.

Andy

Indeed they do. I live in the Big City. In gas stations and bodegas you can buy small glass tubes with no immediately apparent purpose, displayed next to those very same steel-based scrubbing pads.

So now we have a second unintended use for Chore Boy pads, other than feeding the addiction: removal of lead from bores. "Officer, I swear it's not paraphernalia, it's just to clean guns!"

NQNPIII
12-02-18, 22:31
Indeed they do. I live in the Big City. In gas stations and bodegas you can buy small glass tubes with no immediately apparent purpose, displayed next to those very same steel-based scrubbing pads.

So now we have a second unintended use for Chore Boy pads, other than feeding the addiction: removal of lead from bores. "Officer, I swear it's not paraphernalia, it's just to clean guns!"

I live in the country. The Hindu country store sells single Chor Boys. Probably use them for meth too?

Ron3
12-03-18, 13:14
So your saying these will help get clean the lead off my Ruger GP100 .44 Special? (Safe to use on Stainless Steel I presume?)

AND I can use another to clean my ceramic slow-cookers and iron skillets?!

What's the catch?

AndyLate
12-03-18, 14:00
So your saying these will help get clean the lead off my Ruger GP100 .44 Special? (Safe to use on Stainless Steel I presume?)

AND I can use another to clean my ceramic slow-cookers and iron skillets?!

What's the catch?

The catch is that many brick and mortar stores carry the copper coated steel chore boy pads, not pure copper. The link Uni-Vibe provided shows the package for the correct pads. Other than that, no catch.

Ron3
12-03-18, 14:12
The catch is that many brick and mortar stores carry the copper coated steel chore boy pads, not pure copper. The link Uni-Vibe provided shows the package for the correct pads. Other than that, no catch.

Thanks! I'll give them a try.

Uni-Vibe
12-03-18, 20:33
I just did another "chore" today. Cut about a 3.5 inch strand, wrapped it around ye olde bronze bore brush, a few brisk strokes, and lead is gone.

26 Inf
12-03-18, 21:34
I always used these to clean anything I shot lead out of: (edit: pistols or revolvers)

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

Brass is tougher than copper and won't damage the bore. You'll find it shaves chunks out of leaded barrels.

militarymoron
12-03-18, 21:55
I misread the thread title as 'Choir-boy'.

Ned Christiansen
12-03-18, 23:36
Long time favorite of mine for 1911 barrels. I wrap it around a blue Nylon brush from Iosso and go back and forth until I can feel the barrel just start to get warm... that usually does it, if not, reorient the brush and repeat. Strong pref for the Chore Boy but the finer-spun stuff works too.... not quite as well though. Plus it's made in China and Chore Boy is made in Mexico....
at least that's closer.

mpom
12-04-18, 18:24
Cheap at True Value, $1.49 per pad, delivered to store for free! Cheaper than Amazon.

Mark

Ned Christiansen
06-27-19, 10:45
Caution, I have some of this now that is magnetic under a copper plating apparently. I would say "avoid".

OldState
06-28-19, 19:31
this stuff has been recommended by shotgun shooters for years to get out plastic fouling from the wads. When I was big into skeet and trap I used to wrap some around a worn out bore brush. Worked like a charm.

Ned Christiansen
06-28-19, 21:12
Department of Duh here.

I see the very first post carried the warning about steel.

sgtrock82
07-03-19, 15:37
So does Mercury!

(Totally sarcastic, does not construe actual advice! While it does work and was the go-to old man way a couple generations ago, it can be quite hazardous for a number of reason you either know already or can easily research)
Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

kerplode
07-03-19, 15:58
Amazon carries them if you don't feel like driving all over town. $6 for 4.

Or $28 for a crack pipe starter kit:

Pappabear
07-03-19, 16:10
I misread the thread title as 'Choir-boy'.

Me too, I was so confused.

I see where the OP wanted total removal of lead. But I don't mind leaving a bit on my bore so as to not need to put rounds back through it to get back to optimal accuracy. Anybody share that line of thinking?

Uni-Vibe, can you post a pic or link to the exact product. They have pads and brushes and .....which is the real deal?
PB

26 Inf
07-03-19, 17:20
Amazon carries them if you don't feel like driving all over town. $6 for 4.

Or $28 for a crack pipe starter kit:

Dang, I thought that was a meme!

https://www.amazon.com/Chore-Boy-Copper-Scouring-Count/dp/B0779D9BSG/ref=sr_1_3?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwvvDguSZ4wIVvf_jBx11WAxUEAAYASAAEgJllPD_BwE&hvadid=177816959491&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9024344&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=9474361886315876339&hvtargid=aud-646675774026%3Akwd-14983970920&hydadcr=21468_9712400&keywords=chore+boy+copper+scouring+pads&qid=1562192359&s=gateway&sr=8-3

jsbhike
07-03-19, 18:29
Vinegar & peroxide mixed 50/50 filled in to a plugged barrel will dissolve lead with the caveat to follow up with a baking soda solution to neutralize the acid/oxidizer.

Uni-Vibe
07-27-19, 22:35
Me too, I was so confused.

I see where the OP wanted total removal of lead. But I don't mind leaving a bit on my bore so as to not need to put rounds back through it to get back to optimal accuracy. Anybody share that line of thinking?

Uni-Vibe, can you post a pic or link to the exact product. They have pads and brushes and .....which is the real deal?
PB

26 Inf's link is the very one.

ndmiller
07-28-19, 14:20
Probably would work wonders on very dirty stainless suppressor internals right? Once or twice a year I ultrasonic them for 9 minutes after hitting them with fire clean or other solvent and letting them sit. Maybe I can just soak and Chore Boy them. Anyone else so the with their suppressor internals?

NQNPIII
07-28-19, 15:57
Seafoam, carb cleaner, Mopar combustion chamber cleaner, brakleen,....................

ndmiller
07-28-19, 16:08
Seafoam, carb cleaner, Mopar combustion chamber cleaner, brakleen,....................

Yeah, thanks but I'm doing this indoors (kitchen) and the family would kill me if the fumes didn't. I've got the solvents I can use indoor safe down, new part is trying the copper pads for scrubbing suppressor internals for less effort on my part.