PDA

View Full Version : buying out of state

HMsailor
12-02-18, 18:08
so if i travel for a living, how do i purchase a firearm not in my state of residence? it just seems stupid that someone has to be a resident to purchase in-store especially when you come accross a good deal but an ffl is all you need when purchasing online.

Ak44
12-02-18, 18:24
See if the Gun dealer is willing to ship to your ffl in your home state. If they are, purchase it and have your ffl send a copy of their license to the dealer in the visiting state.

Astom22
12-02-18, 18:51
What state are you not able to purchase in?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ABNAK
12-02-18, 19:31
Generally speaking, long guns (rifles or shotguns) can be purchased out of state. Handguns not so much.

"Purchase" being defined as seeing one in a gun shop and deciding you want it. Online purchases are different because they will be sent to your local FFL, so you can buy a handgun also going this route.

AndyLate
12-02-18, 19:57
so if i travel for a living, how do i purchase a firearm not in my state of residence? it just seems stupid that someone has to be a resident to purchase in-store especially when you come accross a good deal but an ffl is all you need when purchasing online.

An out-of-state FFL can send a firearm to an FFL in your state of residence, just like buying a firearm online.

Most FFLs treat AR lowers as pistols and won't sell to a non resident (without transferring to an FFL in your state).

Some dealers won't sell a rifle or shotgun to a non-resident. Their place, their rules.

Andy

omegajb
12-02-18, 20:01
Mance v. Sessions is a case that might make it to SCOTUS challenging the interstate commerce law that prevents buying a handgun in another state.
With the current makeup of the court, they might strike it down.

JediGuy
12-02-18, 20:11
Don’t get in the weeds of current litigation. Current litigation means absolutely nothing at the moment.

A. You cannot buy a handgun and take possession out of state.
B. You can by a long gun and take possession out of state.
B. (1) A dealer may elect to not sell or transfer you a gun at all. As another said, their house, their rules.

It’s that simple. Don’t complicate it.

HMsailor
12-02-18, 20:23
What state are you not able to purchase in?

Nevada. I have a FL DL. but id like to purchase from any gun friendly state I visit. Having it shipped to a FL FFL wont work due to work schedule as I wont know when I will be back home.

MegademiC
12-02-18, 21:40
Nevada. I have a FL DL. but id like to purchase from any gun friendly state I visit. Having it shipped to a FL FFL wont work due to work schedule as I wont know when I will be back home.

Find a reputable ffl and have them hold it till you are in town. It seems most small SOT’s will do this to augment the class 3 stuff.

MistWolf
12-02-18, 21:42
FFLs cannot sell receivers or handguns directly to a non-resident. They can sell either to a non-resident FFL.

It is permissible to sell a non resident a long gun if it is permissible by local law.

It is illegal for residents of California to purchase any firearm out of state without having it shipped directly to a California FFL for transfer.

Tx_Aggie
12-02-18, 21:42
Edit - Mist Wolf beat me to it.

Iraqgunz
12-02-18, 22:36
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?60-General-Discussion