PDA

View Full Version : France orders more SIG SP2022's

Slater
12-05-18, 17:39
Maybe there's more to it, but 580 pistols for $281,580 sounds a little steep:

"France’s Ministry of the Interior has announced the purchase of a new batch of SIG Sauer SIG ProSP2022 pistols for use by the National Gendarmerie. The contract worth 248,299 Euros (or $281,580) was announced in mid November.

The Ministry of the Interior’s procurement department, the Service de l’Achat, de l’Équipement et de la Logistique de la Sécurité Intérieure (SAELSI), handled the contract for the 580 pistols. These will supplement the over 200,000 reportedly originally ordered."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/12/05/sig-sp2022-for-french-police/

Uni-Vibe
12-05-18, 18:20
$485 per gun? I 'd call it a deal.

Firefly
12-05-18, 18:29
SigPROs seem cool until you realize it’s a Sig.

ST911
12-05-18, 19:25
They could do a lot worse.

fledge
12-05-18, 20:21
Wonder if this is at all related to the yellow jackets.

CrowCommand
12-06-18, 04:45
I've been happy with mine. It was my first handgun, and I've run a few courses with it and it hasn't given me any problems that weren't self induced (thumb on slide lock, one squib from my first reloads, etc.) I have approximately 15k rounds thru the gun, and I'm planning on sending it back to Sig for new springs, once I put an FNX 45 on order.

Business_Casual
12-06-18, 05:26
Wonder if this is at all related to the yellow jackets.

It would literally boggle my mind if the French procurement process could move fast enough for this to be the case. 😀

cd228
12-06-18, 11:08
428 EURO per pistol, that's not bad. Frankonia in Darhmstadt, Germany is charging 799 EURO for the same pistol and even mentions the French police in the description. Firearm prices are interesting in Europe. You don't want to know what they are charging for a 320.

https://www.frankonia.de/p/sig-sauer/pistole-sp-2022/161583?query=sig+sauer&lastSelected=f_s_kaliber&f_s_kaliber=9+mm+Luger

GNXII
12-06-18, 20:57
428 EURO per pistol, that's not bad. Frankonia in Darhmstadt, Germany is charging 799 EURO for the same pistol and even mentions the French police in the description. Firearm prices are interesting in Europe. You don't want to know what they are charging for a 320.

https://www.frankonia.de/p/sig-sauer/pistole-sp-2022/161583?query=sig+sauer&lastSelected=f_s_kaliber&f_s_kaliber=9+mm+Luger

Ill bite...how much? Never mind I opened the link...wow!! Although Im digging the USP 22lr. Conversion slide!!!

lowprone
12-06-18, 22:11
They need more because the yellow jackets took away many the police had before riots, assault rifles also.

Slater
12-06-18, 22:24
With the P320, P365, and others in the forefront, the SP2022 almost seems like a footnote in SIG's lineup. Was it ever that popular in the US?

jnc36rcpd
12-07-18, 10:24
The SigPro, in the .40 version, had some popularity in Maryland law enforcement back in the day. Granted, the neighboring department to mine adopted the 2340 and then almost immediately transitioned to the 229. The SigPro isn't a bad pistol (at least when we looked at them), but it wasn't a 226. It seemed to have sharper edges, you could easily catch the meat of your hand on a reload, and I subjectively recall its bore axis being higher than the 226. As I recall, Gaithersburg, Baltimore County PD and SO, the University of Maryland, and Ocean City all had SigPro pistols. Gaithersburg now has Glocks and Baltimore County is abandoning the FNS for Glocks. I'm not sure about the other agencies.

rockapede
12-07-18, 12:19
With the P320, P365, and others in the forefront, the SP2022 almost seems like a footnote in SIG's lineup. Was it ever that popular in the US?

No, and that’s a shame. The SP2022 is one of the better modern Sigs.

RHINOWSO
12-07-18, 15:24
Everyone loves hating on SIG, but the SP2022 has been and remains a great polymer DA/SA pistol.

Very smooth trigger pulls (unlike DA/SA HKs) and modular grips before it was cool.

SIG tried to discontinue them for awhile but the demand is still there, especially in Europe.

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-07-18, 16:32
I bought my first SP2022 in 2011, and another in 2014. I paid $399 and $349 for them. I think the low price is what caused people to dismiss or overlook them. At that price point, pistols have a stigma. Sigma, Taurus, P250, etc. The triggers are very smooth outta the box, and only get better with time. Mags are basically HK mag prices, and holster selection could be better, but my favorite holster maker JM Custom Kydex offers them. I'm wearing one AIWB right now.

HCM
12-09-18, 01:19
I bought my first SP2022 in 2011, and another in 2014. I paid $399 and $349 for them. I think the low price is what caused people to dismiss or overlook them. At that price point, pistols have a stigma. Sigma, Taurus, P250, etc. The triggers are very smooth outta the box, and only get better with time. Mags are basically HK mag prices, and holster selection could be better, but my favorite holster maker JM Custom Kydex offers them. I'm wearing one AIWB right now.

When the original SIG PRO was introduced they had a street price about $550. People complained they were too close in price to the standard P series. The SP2022 with its standard 1913ish rail sells for less than the SIG PRO did when introduced due to economies of scale, paid off tooling and SIG simply getting efficient at building them after cranking out over half a million of them for various non-US LE contracts.

They were regionally popular in the mid Atlantic region with VA state police and Richmond VA police being among the bigger users.

I love mine in 9mm. My primary complaints are it could use a slight under cuts and the other grip sizes are hard to find.

graffex
12-09-18, 09:40
Agreed that the SP2022 is one of the better if not best DA/SA guns out there. I love the USP but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired.

Business_Casual
12-10-18, 06:51
Too bad you need a ladder to climb up to the bore axis.

m4brian
12-10-18, 10:24
I started SIG with a WG P226. Liked it, but didn't want the DA/SA at the time as much as I thought. Sold it. Later, work up to DA/SA. Got an SP 2022 - like it better overall. Handier and lighter.

BEST DA OTB trigger you can find. I like CZ P Series and am invested in it. BUT, it cannot match the smoothness of the SP OTB. Also, there is not much aftermarket for them because you don't really need it. The grip texture is perfect, and the sights are SIG. Barrel lockup is bank vault tight. Recoil management is good. Reliable, rock solid construction, and OBTW - the slide rides on VERY robust steel rails.

The only thing SIG out to do is offer a backstrap for very large hands. Also, MecGar needs to reshape the bottom of the 17 round mag to fill the gap in front.

graffex
12-10-18, 10:28
Too bad you need a ladder to climb up to the bore axis.

Bore axis is overrated.

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-10-18, 10:30
I started SIG with a WG P226. Liked it, but didn't want the DA/SA at the time as much as I thought. Sold it. Later, work up to DA/SA. Got an SP 2022 - like it better overall. Handier and lighter.

BEST DA OTB trigger you can find. I like CZ P Series and am invested in it. BUT, it cannot match the smoothness of the SP OTB. Also, there is not much aftermarket for them because you don't really need it. The grip texture is perfect, and the sights are SIG. Barrel lockup is bank vault tight. Recoil management is good. Reliable, rock solid construction, and OBTW - the slide rides on VERY robust steel rails.

The only thing SIG out to do is offer a backstrap for very large hands. Also, MecGar needs to reshape the bottom of the 17 round mag to fill the gap in front.

I have one of the older fat grips with the rubberized texture. They're hard to find at times but work well for my large hands.

m4brian
12-10-18, 11:06
Roger - they need to make grips MUCH more available.

The French mess up a bunch of stuff, but when it comes to nukes and police handguns, not too shabby.

m4brian
12-10-18, 11:27
Bore axis is overrated. and they all said, “amen”.

El Pistolero
12-10-18, 11:32
The SEALs and SAS didn’t seem to have a problem with the SIG bore axis.

Core781
12-12-18, 13:30
Probably includes holster, mags, cleaning kit, and a warranty program. Pretty good rate considering a SIG Pro used to be a $1000 pistol. I'm a huge SIG Pro fan, had one of the originals. Handled some of the new Pros. Used the Navy variants in my service days. A Pro is the only SIG that fit my XXL hand, now they have better ergonomics and weigh less: but maintaining a bit of heft is a good thing when it comes to rapid followup shots. Extremely reliable and accurate pistol. I have not used the P320's yet, but I would guess I would prefer the Pro overall despite the weight loss. I'm waiting for SIG to get the P320's bore axis lower before I bite.

CWM11B
12-13-18, 09:19
Where were SigPros sold for a grand? My former agency was an early adopter of the 2340, then later the 2022 in .40. We kept them for about 12 years before going M&P. They were great guns and I agree the DA trigger is one of the best out of the box going. Accuracy was very good in .40 and superb in 9mm, but 1k a piece? Never saw that. A thousand bucks would get you two with change left over.

RHINOWSO
12-13-18, 10:11
Bore axis is overrated.
But not as overrated as "sight radius". ;)

Core781
12-13-18, 14:22
Ill bite...how much? Never mind I opened the link...wow!! Although Im digging the USP 22lr. Conversion slide!!!

Funny because a P320 is a budget pistol compared to the Pro. But demand I guess.. I'm very proud of what SIG has done, their headquarters is a quick drive from my location, and I know a few folks who work there, and kids of associates. More American manufacturing jobs is always a good thing!

Gödel
12-13-18, 15:11
The Sig Pro line is good because it wasn't designed by the US SIG staff.

The first gen one I tried back then had a really large grip compared to our issue M11s.

igxuberant
12-13-18, 19:53
From my limited first hand experience, the SigPro pistols (SP2022 specifically) seem to not be afflicted by the horrible QC Sig has been known for the past several years. Solid guns for the price and you get all the sight options also available to the P series pistols.

cb805
12-13-18, 19:58
From my limited first hand experience, the SigPro pistols (SP2022 specifically) seem to not be afflicted by the horrible QC Sig has been known for the past several years. Solid guns for the price and you get all the sight options also available to the P series pistols.

I will second this. I had one for a few years and put probably 6-7k rounds through it, even going over a thousand rounds between cleanings...not one issue ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sundance435
12-18-18, 12:41

Probably had something to do with the fact that they were still European guns until a couple of years ago, but still well beyond when they started making every other Sig in the U.S. for the U.S. market.