PDA

View Full Version : New build

Jon1911
11-02-08, 19:47
Ok, I'm sure you guys get a lot of people like me in here, so please bear with me. I'm not new to firearms, by any means, I just don't have a great wealth of knowledge when it comes to building them. I've been poking around here and have found out some very useful information about parts and what manufactures to look at and which ones to stay away from. Any other general information would be great too, but as I was looking for parts I noticed something, that you need an FFL to purchase a lower. Now for some reason, and I'm probably just not remembering right, but I thought you needed to go to a dealer to purchase the upper. So now I'm confused...which isn't hard with so many laws anyway, but do I need an FFL for the upper and lower, or just the lower? Second, can I even get an FFL, seeing as I'm only 19, I'm not a dealer or gunsmith, so will they even issue me one? And in that case, how do I get the upper/lower (whichever one you need it for), I assume I can order one through a dealer...

Ok so here's the main stuff I'm looking at. Of course I'll be adding a few other accessories, but at the current time I'm more concerned about getting the actual rifle done, due to the upcoming election and it's gloomy outlook. Like I said this will be my first build so please give me any advice you can...thanks,
Jon
• YHM 2 pc. Tactical handgaurd – 139.95
• LMT 16” M4 Carbine Upper - 485
• LMT bolt carrier groups - 130
• LMT tactical rear sight - 119
• LMT Defender 2000 Lower - 300

nickdrak
11-02-08, 20:01
Jon,

Welcome! As far as the parts you have listed, the only one I would consider changing would be the YHM rail. I think spending an extra $100 or so wil get you a far superior handguard rail. Look at the Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 rail instead. It is a much nicer system, and it only takes about 10-20 minutes to install from start to finish, and it doesnt require you to remove the barrel. It is rock solid and very light.

I would probably go for a Bravo Company midlength 16" upper over the LMT upper. Not due to it being superior quality (they are both top quality uppers), but due to the middy gas sytem, and the ability to mount a longer handguard to it. I would also opt for the Daniel Defense Omega 9.0 rail if I went with a midlength upper. The midlength upper gives you a longer sight radius, and more "rail-estate" to mount your accessories on. These are both +'s when setting up your rifle.

bkb0000
11-02-08, 20:10
So now I'm confused...which isn't hard with so many laws anyway, but do I need an FFL for the upper and lower, or just the lower? Second, can I even get an FFL, seeing as I'm only 19, I'm not a dealer or gunsmith, so will they even issue me one? And in that case, how do I get the upper/lower (whichever one you need it for), I assume I can order one through a dealer...

any assembly that includes a LOWER receiver requires an FFL... it's the stripped lower that's considered the "gun." so you can order ALL parts, except for a stripped lower, and have them shipped to your house, including an upper or any assembly including an upper.

so, for your purpose, order a complete LMT lower and have it shipped to an FFL (makes sure you talk to your FFL first), or order it through an FFL.

and order the upper and other parts yourself.