PDA

View Full Version : Glocks some people hate them some love them... You?

cronus5116
11-02-08, 22:44
I have a glock, its NOT the only pistol I would have or the only good choice out there, they are great handguns, but I know some people hate them, usually the reason is " I dont want a plastic gun", glock seem to be the only company out there that makes polymer frame pistols,( Im being sarcastic) but I want to know your thoughts on this gun, if you love it or loathe it. But please no insulting of anyone here on either side, thanks

LOKNLOD
11-02-08, 22:48
glock seem to be the only company out there that makes polymer frame pistols

Huh? :confused: ETA: Okay, it was sarcasm, gotcha. I missed that one.

I like Glocks. They're simple, reliable, affordable, easy to work on, and widely available. They fit my hand alright and I shoot them about as good as I do anything else. There may be alternatives out there that offer more, but nothing I've found that is worth the price to upgrade.

On the other hand, there's nothing so special about them as to require struggling with Glocks if they don't work well for you -- there are other alternatives out there.

ZDL
11-02-08, 23:02
Trigger and frame turn me off. Love the reliability and have one because I know it will work if/when I need to go to it but it's not my first choice.

ToddG
11-02-08, 23:08
I think the 9mm Glocks are workhorses, and I'd trust my life to one without a second thought. There are guns I shoot better and guns which fit me better, but if someone told me tomorrow that the G17 or G19 was the only gun I could have, I'd lost zero sleep over it.

In my experience, the other calibers are less bulletproof. Many work fine, but the non-9mm models have a much higher incidence of trouble.

There's also a huge difference between hating Glocks and simply being labeled a "Glock Hater" because one dares question the Glock's absolutely superiority in all things. :rolleyes:

RogerinTPA
11-02-08, 23:16
I've had a G23 since they first came out. It worked flawlessly but I hated the grip. It just never seemed that ergonomic to my hand, feeling uncomfortable and weird as hell. So I guess I'm a "glock grip hater". With the exception of one gun, I have switched the rest to the M&P series (Owning the 9c, 40 and 45) because the grip, accuracy and recoil management are excellent for me. YMMV.

chadbag
11-02-08, 23:41
Don't own one, don't like how they feel in my hand. Don't hate them. If you like them, more power to you. I'd not kick you off my team for owning one.

trio
11-03-08, 00:19
its not necessarily my "ideal" handgun, but it is certainly the one that fits my needs and purposes best...

do I shoot it best? nope, thats probably a 1911...

do i think its the prettiest? probably not

is it even the most ergonomic striker fired pistol? no, thats probably the M&P

but it is the best BALANCE of all things I need...comfort, reliability, accuracy (plenty people knock glock's accuracy, its still way more accurate than 99% of shooters are capable of shooting it)...

for me, the triggers are a plus...consistent, and easily made better....in my opinion the glock trigger, once modified, is better than the M&P or XD trigger (although the XD-M and the M&P with the performance sear both have piqued my interest)...

i guess my best way to answer is this:

i am now, finally, down to owning four (just four) handguns:

a 3rd gen G19, a 2nd gen G19, a G17 and a G34....

my goal is to become the most lethal person I can on those platforms....i don't compete, and I'm not an industry professional...so when or if I ever clear a holster it means my kids' lives are likely at risk...so I train...and train...and, IMHO, I am a better shooter by focusing on a single platform than bringing 4 different guns to the range....if I could shoot more then it wouldn't be so bad...but given the frequency I get to shoot, that time is spent practicing for "it"...i enjoy the practice...but the seriousness of why i practice isn't ever far from thought

sff70
11-03-08, 00:30
It took me a long time to warm up to them, esp the trigger and ergos.

IMO, those are outweighed by the complete package.

If I didn't like 1911s so much, I would own only G19s.

padwan
11-03-08, 01:02
My notes mirror Todd's. I learned to use and carry Glocks while traveling as I didn't want to lose my 1911 which took a good smith half a year to complete. The Colt is a gem but replacing it would take a lot of time and effort. And cash!

My experience lies with the 17, 19, 23 and 21. The 9mm's didn't cause me issues but the 23 and 21 were less than consistently reliable. It also didn't help that the 21 was not easy to conceal.

The Glocks aren't my first choice for everything but they seem to be a consistent 2nd for anything I need a pistol for.

Meanwhile, I am very much curious about the HK 45s....

hk51pdx
11-03-08, 01:30
Having worked for 5 years at an indoor handgun range, I've shot a large variety of defensive handguns, from stock to customized beyond my imagination. Through all of this, the Glocks were always at or near the top for me. Other brands would break down, give troubles to the shooters and the staff, some would have special ammo diets, etc.

It's like the Model T cars, you could have them any way you wanted, as long as it was black. Well, until recently (as far as color), that is pretty much the case with Glocks. Unlike the 1911 series, Glocks are how they are, and if you don't like it, there's not too much you can change. But if they work for you, they work for you.

I believe the G23 is the best defensive, combat, tactical, blah, blah handgun for me. I have a G23, G22, and a G21 SF, and have had the G27, G19, G17, and G21 in the past. I can't imagine not having one, ready and waiting.

Jim

JTR
11-03-08, 01:38
I find myself shooting/using Glocks almost exclusively (can't use em in I.C.O.R.E. :().

They aren't going to win a beauty contest, and according to my old man... they don't have a soul like a 1911 or P35, but I don't know if there's a better workhorse out there for me.

The grip fits me fairly well and I've got so many rounds down range with Glocks now, it would be silly to not stick with a proven performer. I've shot all the new guns (XDs, XDMs, M&Ps, HKs, etc.) and they all seem like great guns, but the Glock is just right for me.

A friend on a local board was asking about a gun to take white water rafting and camping. Didn't want to abuse his Sigs or HKs in those conditions. Glock was the answer for him.

I'm sure there's better guns out there or there will be eventually, but a fella would be hard pressed to find one that covers all the facets as well as Glock does.

SethB
11-03-08, 02:49
I bought a Glock, cut the **** out of it, and now that I like it I shoot it a lot...

Well, only a couple times a year, but I've still put 4,500 rounds through the pipe in the last year.

It works.

Frens
11-03-08, 03:10
IMO, there're a lot of awsome handguns out there....and Glock is just one of them :p

I love my G17 just like my SA 1911, Browning HP and S&W mod 36 :D

kaltblitz
11-03-08, 04:27
I carried a Glock 21 for a little over two years as my duty gun.

The only reason I'm not carrying it now is because my department let me switch over to a 1911.

I love Glocks and would have no problem switching back to my G21 (or a 17) again someday. I think they're one of the best designs out there.

Jay870
11-03-08, 06:49
Don't know about "love", but Glock is my choice of handgun.

markm
11-03-08, 07:05
Don't know about "love", but Glock is my choice of handgun.

Same here. You don't have to love glock. You just have to learn to like it. There's really no other options out there. :cool:

45r
11-03-08, 07:26
The 17 is my pistol of choice for 9mm :)

Gutshot John
11-03-08, 07:49
I think the G-lock rocks, but it isn't without short-comings. Then again all firearms have short-comings. There is no such thing as a perfect pistol, and people who "hate" one model/brand are usually uninformed.

In my experience the more people shoot glocks, the more they like them, but this is probably true for any gun. Any firearm needs time to "grow" on you, and as you gain confidence with it, you usually learn to appreciate whatever its qualities may be.

I've tried myriad other firearms, because I resisted the Glock, but the more I shot others, the more I kept coming back to the Glock, which I then customized to address what short-comings I thought it had.

Everything is a trade-off and as soon as people realize this, the sooner they'll be happy with whatever firearm they've chosen.

JonInWA
11-03-08, 07:59
I have a G17, G19, and G21. The more I shoot, the more I find myself gravitating towards two main platforms: Glock and 1911 (where I have a Nighthawk Talon II and a SIG GSR). While I have (and enjoy) other handguns in my vault, the above-mantioned guns are the ones I consistantly carry and use in competitions (IDPA, GSSF, and steel plate).

While I tremendously enjoy and respect my 1911's (particularly the Nighthawk), I do not find the Glocks outclassed or rendered obscelescent by them; if anything, the Glocks are carried equally as much, if not more (and not just because of their lighter weight).

All of my guns are exceptionally reliable. I index well with all of them (the Nighthawk and G19 eerily so). Glocks are mechanically simple, operationally exceptionally easy to use, weather impervious, and accurate-and require minimal amounts of lubrication. And they're incredibly light.

Undoubtably there are guns currently available that provide incrimental improvements in one area or another over my Glocks. None of them to date provide enough of a total/overall improvement to me to justify my switching over to them, abandoning my acquired muscle memory and proficiency on my Glocks.

Additionally, Glock's aftermarket support is superb.

Best, Jon

G34Shooter
11-03-08, 11:16
I've went back and forth on many platforms and just prefer 9mm Glocks for my go to handguns... I would like some trigger time behind a M&P 9mm to see if I'll like them as well though.

Ray T
11-03-08, 12:13
I have been training / using guns for 20 years and have used many different designs. There are many great designs available, but the Glock still keeps creeping into my top two defensive handgun slots. I started with the 1911 platforms and love them, as well as my CZ pistols.

My original G17 has over 92K rounds (documented) and it is still ticking! The gun rattles when you shake it, but if you do your part, it will consistantly hit a man sized target at 100 yards.

Is the Glock perfect for me?? Nope, but it works for me....like a Bic pen. :)

DarrinD
11-03-08, 14:44
I'd probably still rely on my now sold G17 as my carry gun, or a G19, but because of the grip size and angle I investigated and then transitioned to an M&P9c for carry and will be adding Todd's limited edition full size M&P9. I think that Gaston's men never improved upon the original G17 but probably equalled it and improved the ergonomics for many people with the G19. Outside of those 9mm's, my experience is that Glocks do not earn the "Perfection" label that Glock Inc. still plasters on shirts and other items. I don't know why the other calibers are not as perfect but my experience is what it is, nothing more.

cronus5116
11-03-08, 17:36
One thing I forgot to say at the beginingof my post, was that at first when I was about 15 or 16 I didnt like them because they didnt have safeties of course I also didnt know much about guns at the time, then years latter I find out that they made a .45, so I said to myself "I think I'll try one" so I bought a 21C, and never looked back, since then i have bought a 17, and a 36 that I use for my carry gun, like it was said, they are not perfect but for me they are pretty damn close, and it would not be my only choice for a handgun, but it would be my first, HK, Walther, Sig, S&W, ect. all make great, tough-as-nails handguns you can bet your life on, ( not to metion better looking ones) and if I had the money Id go buy a GSR right now or a Mark 23 (I do own a walther P22) but like I said glock FOR ME is first choice, everything else is second.

By the way if you would like to donate to the: cronus5116 need a new GSR fund, I would be very happy :D

TheGhostRider
11-03-08, 17:49
I maintain a good selection of sidearms. Love my "slabsides", my M9, my revolvers and all the others.
The Glock 17 is my daily carry gun. It does what I need it to do and does it well with minimal care. Once a month it gets torn down, checked and lubed. I won't even try to estimate the number of rounds it has shot... with no problems whatsoever!
It's my go to gun.
While I don't recommend doing so; the Glock 17 is one of the few guns I trust right out of the box and if necessary wouldn't hesitate to press one into service right off the shelf, but, only if were necessary.
I much prefer to run a couple hundred through them first before using them for serious work.

Glock... not pretty by most standards but still a work of art.

Alpha Sierra
11-03-08, 18:23
Don't own one, don't like how they feel in my hand. Don't hate them. If you like them, more power to you.
+1

Same goes for XDs.

Beretta PX4s, S&W M&Ps, and 1911s I like.

SecretNY
11-03-08, 18:37
I just bought a glock 17 and 19. I absolutely love them.

Saginaw79
11-03-08, 18:45
I prefer HKs and 1911s. Glocks arent bad guns, just not for me if I have other options!

Pilgrim
11-03-08, 19:50
I've always been a '1911 Guy', but I've tried just about everything, and have 3 M&P's that I'm working with now, but for a carry gun, I always seem to come back to the Glock 26 and 19.

My 1911 has been sleeping in the safe for quite some time.

DM-SC
11-03-08, 20:20
I couldn't make myself shoot, much less buy, a Glock for many years after they arrived in the US. I had a good friend who kept pushing the Glocks on me every time we were at the range.

The turning point was when I saw a H&K USP for the first time! It was so ugly, it made the Glocks look good! :D

Anyhoo, I have multiple Glocks, all in 9mm. Like others have stated, they are not the perfect handgun for me. I shoot them well enough (as well as I shoot any other handgun) and they always go bang, instead of click, when I pull the trigger with a round in the chamber. I'll add, though I've only had to replace one trigger spring over the past decade of owning/shooting Glocks, they are very easy to maintain.

Not perfect...just very serviceable. :)

skyugo
11-03-08, 20:59
love em...

i didn't want to love em, but i've shot a fair number of different handguns, and the G19 is just the girl for me :)

i'm looking at a G29 for backwoods carry as well.

CLHC
11-03-08, 21:49
. . .You don't have to love glock. You just have to learn to like it. . .
I don't "love" or "hate" Glock(s), just seemed like it wasn't my "thing". But, I do CCW my G19 every single day! :D

Bryan W
11-03-08, 22:18
I'm not a love/hate type but I'm drawn to what works for me. The Glock works for me and I have shot/owned too many platforms to even list. It's the only pistol I'd trust straight out of the box for a service application. I'm becoming fond of the M&P as well but not enough to replace it as my carry piece.

normal
11-04-08, 07:08
I've had a G23 since they first came out. It worked flawlessly but I hated the grip. It just never seemed that ergonomic to my hand, feeling uncomfortable and weird as hell. So I guess I'm a "glock grip hater". With the exception of one gun, I have switched the rest to the M&P series (Owning the 9c, 40 and 45) because the grip, accuracy and recoil management are excellent for me. YMMV.

+1. I got a G23 when they came out and had it for 14 years. It was a good gun (I never badmouth Glocks), but it did not fit my hand. I sold it after the first time that I held an XD. They seem to be made for my hands. I now have 4 of them with many rounds downrange with no malfunctions from any of them. I recommend Glocks to people if they fit their hands.

Dave L.
11-04-08, 07:38
I love anything that stays reliable when I treat it like shit.
...oh we were talking about Glocks- them too.

Jon1911
11-04-08, 09:47
They're ok. I've fired a couple Glocks and while I wasn't overly impressed, they aren't a bad gun. I prefer the SA XD series over the Glocks. Basically the same, but imo they fire more reliably and they're a lot more accurate...could have been the Glock that I shot though, as I don't own one,one was rented and one was a friends, but do own some XD's. In the end it's all up to the shooter I guess.

David Thomas
11-04-08, 09:54
I think the 9mm Glocks are the best 9mm pistols out there, all things considered, and I carry a Glock 19 often. They have always been reliable, and I shoot them better than any other handgun.

I do not love them, though. I love 1911's. However, the timer and holes in the target consistently confirm that I shoot my Glock 19's and 17's faster than my 1911's. Sure I have 1911's that are more accurate when the pace slows down a little bit, but when you look at placing rapidly aimed shots on target the Glock does it faster with enough accuracy.

SSGN_Doc
11-04-08, 14:34
To me they're kind of the Jeep of the gun world. They are practical, simple, reliable, will outlast most owners, affoardable, plentiful, and have a good aftermarket for parts. They have made their way to most parts of the world, adapt well to recreational work as well as duty use. They are as good as most folks need them to be, but not fancy by any stretch, even though folks can customize them far beyond their monitary value.

"It's a GLOCK thing...", could be just as easily said as the other phrase relted to Jeeps.

jp0319
11-04-08, 14:36
Ok let me preface my reply by saying I have owned, shot, and carried a LOT of handguns; beretta, Sig Sauer, Glock, Springfield (both 1911 and XD), Smith and wesson (revolver and semi auto), and H&K (USP). I LOVE Glocks I have since gotten rid of most other brands and carry all glock. they are simple to operate, clean, and maintain. I have and do trigger jobs on mine and friends Glocks. They are accurate and easy to control (low bore axis). I shoot Glocks with better accuracy / speed than any other brand and the only other "carry" pistol that has been more accurate that Glock was a custom 1911 I had but we are talking off the bench and even then only like 1" smaller group at 25 yds. The speed with accuracy is where Glock really shines to me, with a good trigger job Glocks shoot as good or better than anything out there when the SHTF and are more reliable. My .02

cronus5116
11-04-08, 20:44
One thing I have learned from past experience is that a gun is only as accurate as the person shooting it, technically most firearms have the ability to put a bullet in the same hole over and over again, and I say MOST, there are guns out there that even if locked down in a vise couldnt keep a 2 in group a 50 yards. When I was taking my carry permit class my instructor ( who is a pro. shooter and place first in 06 [I think] for all of the southern part of the U.S.) took my glock 21C and at 5 yards and from the hip shot a three inch, five shot group in less than a second, so I guess what I'm trying to say is that if all of us who own glocks went out and shot thousands of rounds a week or even a month, we would see that glocks are alot more accurate than we think. But that takes money and time, of which I have little of, well a little more money than time anyway. :D

bullitt5172
11-04-08, 21:42
I prefer 9mm Glocks to any other handgun available today.

ToddG
11-05-08, 00:57
To me they're kind of the Jeep of the gun world. They are practical, simple, reliable, will outlast most owners, affoardable, plentiful, and have a good aftermarket for parts. They have made their way to most parts of the world, adapt well to recreational work as well as duty use. They are as good as most folks need them to be, but not fancy by any stretch, even though folks can customize them far beyond their monitary value.

That's the best analogy I've ever heard concerning Glocks.

Beat Trash
11-05-08, 15:55
Really like the Glock 9mm's. My favorite is the G-19. I use the G-26 and G-17 also.

I use other guns. Am issued a S&W M&P 9mm. I have grown to really like this gun over the last three years.

But I still can't let go of my Glock 19...

sigmundsauer
11-05-08, 20:05
I love my only Glock....the G19. But Glocks are uninspiring to me. I like nearly everything about them, 'cept they fall short of really blowing my skirt up. They do everything well that one could ask of a gun, but nothing spectacular.

Tim

citizensoldier16
11-06-08, 01:36
plenty people knock glock's accuracy, its still way more accurate than 99% of shooters are capable of shooting it

+1

I love my G17. Most rugged pistol I own. 10,000 rounds and counting and it's still a tack driver.

Bigun
11-06-08, 02:12
Great utilitarian guns that don't fit me worth a damn. Reliability-check, Accuracy-check, ergonomics-fail.

ARx3
11-06-08, 16:07
I appreciate many different handguns and have owned Colts, Browning Hi Powers and numerous S&W and Dan Wesson revolvers and enjoyed them all. However my wife and I have seem to been infected with a severe case of Glock virus. There are (12) in the picture and we just added a G-30SF.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1397/0606080720xz2.th.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0606080720xz2.jpg)

G-19,G-21SF, G-22(2) , G-26 , G-30SF, G-31, G-34, G-35, G-37(2), G-38, G-39 :cool:

cronus5116
11-06-08, 17:05
I seem to have more of a problem with my 36 (the slim line) whenever I first grab it it feels a little funny but after putting a few rounds down range I soon get used to it, so the feel is not so bad for me.

DM-SC
11-06-08, 18:46
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1397/0606080720xz2.th.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0606080720xz2.jpg)

G-19,G-21SF, G-22(2) , G-26 , G-30SF, G-31, G-34, G-35, G-37(2), G-38, G-39 :cool:

Nice family portrait! ;)

BAC
11-07-08, 12:03
I like the G17 and G19 as much as I do my Springfield Mil-Spec. The only other handguns I've put any significant number of rounds through are a pair of .357 revolvers (Colt King Cobra, which was sexy as hell, and a S&W snubby), so my basis for judgment is pretty limited.

-B

POF.Ops
11-08-08, 00:15
Hate 'em. Owned one of the early, early G17's and I could never get used to the lack of ergos. I like the 1911 platform and just bought an M&P 45 which has similar ergos plus the light rail. If you like Glocks, more power to ya'.

LSK
11-08-08, 07:30
My main pistol has always been the 1911. My 9mm pistol has always been a Glock. They take an amazing amount of abuse and still run. And if it gets beat up in the field it is not a tragedy like screwing up a custom 1911 would be.

Palmguy
11-08-08, 10:00
Neither love nor hate but they are damn good at what they do. A strong case could be made IMO to say that the G19 is the perfect carry gun, if it fits your hand.

No.6
11-08-08, 10:15
Several of my friends have them, love them, swear by them and won't shoot/carry anything else. I've shot some different models/calibers of Glocks and they just don't do anything for me. Trigger is, ah, OK, not great. But then I haven't shot one that's been "tuned". It's just the overall ergo's don't fit my hand. I've shot everything from S&W revolvers and M&P45, Walther PPKs, HK P9S and Mk23, SIG 226 and Mosquito, Springfield XD, and several others that I can't remember right now. And I keep coming back to the basic 1911. That's what works best for me no matter how hard I try to move into the modern age of pistols. Guess I'm just an old dinosaur....

cronus5116
11-08-08, 22:23
Several of my friends have them, love them, swear by them and won't shoot/carry anything else. I've shot some different models/calibers of Glocks and they just don't do anything for me. Trigger is, ah, OK, not great. But then I haven't shot one that's been "tuned". It's just the overall ergo's don't fit my hand. I've shot everything from S&W revolvers and M&P45, Walther PPKs, HK P9S and Mk23, SIG 226 and Mosquito, Springfield XD, and several others that I can't remember right now. And I keep coming back to the basic 1911. That's what works best for me no matter how hard I try to move into the modern age of pistols. Guess I'm just an old dinosaur....

Well I dont think your a dino, if the pistol doesnt fit your hand well which seems to be a problem with some of the others here, it doesnt fit, there are so many other great choices out there that theres a pistol for everyone, I have a freind who carrys only the 1911, nothing else will do.

Gutshot John
11-09-08, 10:02
I used to think the Glock didn't "fit" my hand either.

Thank I kept shooting them, and amazingly they seemed to fit much better.

Most people aren't used to the grip angle of a Glock, but ergonomically this angle is just about perfect.

**note "ergonomics" are a science. Measurable and repeatable, ergonomics are NOT how the gun "feels" in your hand.

ToddG
11-09-08, 10:22
Most people aren't used to the grip angle of a Glock, but ergonomically this angle is just about perfect.

The Glock's grip angle was developed with the best of intentions but relatively little knowledge on the part of the designer. Glock studied and measured people's hands and built the gun around that data. Unfortunately, the data was all based on shooting one-handed. When folks shoot two-handed, they naturally get a little different cant to the gun.

However, as GSJ said, it's something of a moot point. There are enough outstanding Glock shooters out there to prove that the grip angle isn't a limiting factor. You line up the sights and pull the trigger. Shoot Glocks enough and the grip angle is just as natural for you as anything else. People who jump around from gun to gun a lot might have issues at higher performance levels, but then people at higher performance levels can shoot pretty much anything "well enough" so again it's not really much of an issue.

I think what most people mean when they say the Glock doesn't fit them is the size, blockiness, and/or location of the controls. Those are ergonomic issues, and there are certainly people who don't get an ideal (or sometimes even manageable) fit with the Glocks.

variablebinary
11-09-08, 10:39
I dumped all my SIG's this weekend and picked up another G19 and a G22. By the end of the year I will 100% glocks besides a couple of 1911's

I've come to the conclusion I am a Glock guy. Easy to maintain, easy to shoot, durable, accurate, parts and service are cheap. I draw glock with a more consistant grip, and I find the recoil to be most controlled compared to other guns in the same caliber.

I've flirted with other designs, HK, SIG, M&P etc etc, but I prefer Glock over all else.

Medicine Calf
11-09-08, 12:04
I dumped all my SIG's this weekend and picked up another G19 and a G22. By the end of the year I will 100% glocks besides a couple of 1911's

I've come to the conclusion I am a Glock guy. Easy to maintain, easy to shoot, durable, accurate, parts and service are cheap. I draw glock with a more consistant grip, and I find the recoil to be most controlled compared to other guns in the same caliber.

LOL, been there, done that. Not sure its love, but its almost like my MAG 77.

http://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDMCache/t06/0000003/r03093v15.jpg

cronus5116
11-09-08, 19:58
Well like I said before, When I first pick up a glock it does feel a little off at first but then within a min or two I don't even nothice that "feel" anymore, but like Gunshot John said, as he shot it, it felt much better, so I think if most people would pick one up and shoot it half a dozen to a dozen times they would find the grip more comfortable, than at first.

10-Ring
11-09-08, 22:02
I like Glock pistols -- esp in 9mm & 45 acp. If you're only going to have just one, you could ALOT worse than a gun that puts rounds where you want them every time you pull the trigger :cool:

FVC3
11-13-08, 05:26
I have a glock, its NOT the only pistol I would have or the only good choice out there, they are great handguns, but I know some people hate them, usually the reason is " I dont want a plastic gun", glock seem to be the only company out there that makes polymer frame pistols,( Im being sarcastic) but I want to know your thoughts on this gun, if you love it or loathe it. But please no insulting of anyone here on either side, thanks

I might have said "LOVE!!" ten years ago. Now I'll go with "like very much". I still have 3 Glocks, but I've traded my 21 for a .45 XD and have found the XD (no thumb safety, please) to work much better FOR ME.

I also traded off my 26, first for an XD 9mm compact, which I then traded for an M&P 9c. The M&P is now the one that goes out the door if my G23 doesn't.

I would really like to see Glock get off it's stodgy, "perfect" ass and get with the program. I've stopped defending them to folks who say others are leaving them behind.

Paulinski
11-13-08, 07:52
I like Glocks - G19, G23, G26 here soon to be joined by G17.

mpress
11-13-08, 09:03
My first pistol was a Glock 17. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with the thing... always shot way low. I had it less than 6 months before I sold it to buy a 1911. I now have 3 1911 style pistols and one XD which I shoot 100x better.

I don't hate Glocks, their just not for me.

DocGKR
11-13-08, 14:29
While I shoot properly customized .45 ACP, 5" barrel, single stack, steel frame 1911's better and have relied on them for duty use for years, the 9 mm Glocks are the only pistols I would trust right out of the box--I would have no complaints carrying a G17 or G19 on or off duty. I would not choose to own or use Glocks in calibers other than 9 mm. Any of the S&W M&P's, but particularly the .40, are the only other pistols I would choose for duty use. If stuck living in repressive states that illogically limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds or less, the .45 ACP M&P would be one of my first recommendations.

Failure2Stop
11-13-08, 15:12
I have the same emotional attachment to my Glocks as I do to any durable tool. I have a bit of nostalgia for 1911s, but not enough to disregard something so simple and effective as the G17 or G19.

1911s are reminiscent of a fine katana- when made by a master and wielded by an expert they are formidable and capable of surgical devastation- though relatively fragile and requiring an enthusiast's care in maintenance and repair. Glocks more closely resemble a pointy stick- almost zero requirement for maintenance, simple to fix if a problem arises, and no great loss if dropped, jettisoned, or broken beyond repair. Spears may lack the elegance and beauty of a fine katana, but they are very effective and far simpler.

txbonds
11-13-08, 16:34
I hate the fact that you can get any accessory for Glock and not for my Steyr M9-A1. :p But otherwise I don't hate them so much. They just feel and shoot differently for me. I'm more accurate with the Steyr, and the contours fit my hand better.

But, it is annoying that you can't find diddly for Steyr most places, but everything is available for glock.

I'm interested in checking out the xd 9mm's though.

cronus5116
11-13-08, 18:48
I have the same emotional attachment to my Glocks as I do to any durable tool. I have a bit of nostalgia for 1911s, but not enough to disregard something so simple and effective as the G17 or G19.

1911s are reminiscent of a fine katana- when made by a master and wielded by an expert they are formidable and capable of surgical devastation- though relatively fragile and requiring an enthusiast's care in maintenance and repair. Glocks more closely resemble a pointy stick- almost zero requirement for maintenance, simple to fix if a problem arises, and no great loss if dropped, jettisoned, or broken beyond repair. Spears may lack the elegance and beauty of a fine katana, but they are very effective and far simpler.

So its kinda like 1911 = AR-15
Glock = AK-47

theJanitor
11-13-08, 19:21
no, the 1911 is incomparable

Failure2Stop
11-13-08, 19:31
So its kinda like 1911 = AR-15
Glock = AK-47

While that is a common comparison I don't really think it is an accurate one.
Though, frankly I was just trying to be creative in the "who can rehash a tired simile" game ;).

502adamh
11-13-08, 19:37
If you told me to shoot the tinyest group possible I would use my 1911.

If I am going to war I'll have my Glock.

M4arc
11-13-08, 19:40
I'll admit it, I love Glocks. :)

thefryzone
11-13-08, 19:48
Much happier with my Sig 228:D. The trigger pull is much nicer than my G23:(.

cronus5116
11-13-08, 19:51
While that is a common comparison I don't really think it is an accurate one.
Though, frankly I was just trying to be creative in the "who can rehash a tired simile" game ;).

Yea, I know what you meant, it is a good comparison though

SuicideHz
11-13-08, 19:56
I keep buying new handguns and have high hopes of having them replace the G32 I've carried daily for 4 years and 11 months...

BUT, that darn Glock is something I KNOW I can depend on when I need it. I rarely shoot the little sucker anymore as the 357SIG ammo hasn't shown up cheap and plentiful enough at any stores in my area. So, it just sits and sits and sits, unused. Every few months I buy a new box or two of Gold Dots and burn off the old ones.

When I DO shoot, I put the first three rounds on top of one another at 7 yards. My Warren Tactical sights are great for that task. By the end of the mag and subsequent mags, I end up pulling the rounds down and to the left, probably due to my anticipation of this hot little load.

Undeniable fact is that in a self defense situation, I know that my first three rounds should hit my intended target accurately. If more are needed, they'll still hit.

I just can't believe how accurate I am with this darn thing. I also can't believe that it treats me so well every few months when I do fire it. I never clean it (because I don't shoot it) and I just never pay any attention to it.

I trust my life with it.

I'd really love to have a G19 so that I could practice more but I can't afford one now after that silly mint P7M13 I bought. :D

Robb Jensen
11-13-08, 20:36
You can own 4 Glock 19s for the cost of one nice HK P7M13.........The HK is nice, but it's a nice collectors item. Practical vs. nice to have.

I prefer the Gen 2 Glock 19s like the one I carry which is a 1989 gun.

sigmundsauer
11-13-08, 20:36
While I shoot properly customized .45 ACP, 5" barrel, single stack, steel frame 1911's better and have relied on them for duty use for years, the 9 mm Glocks are the only pistols I would trust right out of the box--I would have no complaints carrying a G17 or G19 on or off duty. I would not choose to own or use Glocks in calibers other than 9 mm. Any of the S&W M&P's, but particularly the .40, are the only other pistols I would choose for duty use. If stuck living in repressive states that illogically limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds or less, the .45 ACP M&P would be one of my first recommendations.

Interesting. My personal experience with Glocks is more spotty. By in large they work well out of the box, but have been much more finicky than the SIGs and HK's I've owned. It is rare that a SIG or an HK crosses my hands that isn't 100% out of the box. Glocks have been more tempermental, but would be my next choice if a SIG or HK weren't nearby. Thus far, my current G19 has been 100% and I trust it.

Tim

cronus5116
11-13-08, 20:54
I'm getting a SIG GSR soon ( I hope) but I'll never get rid of my glocks, ever.

Savior 6
11-13-08, 20:55
They are the ultimate K.I.S.S. gun and in .40S&W I see few other contenders.

SuicideHz
11-13-08, 21:16
Thanks for reminding me Robb ;)

But I couldn't buy 4 new ones, just 4 used ones. :p

johnnywitt
11-13-08, 21:56
The Glock is like a good dependable wife.

A 1911 is like a high maintenance trophy wife/mistress.

Both can be good. Just depends on what your lookin' for in a woman.

givo08
11-14-08, 11:14
I grew up shooting a glock. My father owned one since the early 90's (I was born in '82), so I started shooting it when I was around 10-11 years old. To this day, Glock's point and shoot very naturally for me, almost more so than a traditional 1911 style grip angle. My G19 is ergonomically one of the most comfortable handguns for me. I could either be cursed or lucky, and while I can definitely adapt to any grip angle pretty quickly, I can go faster than anything else with glocks.

My everyday carry is an HK45c V1 trigger cocked & locked (I like having the safety and hammer for carry), but my G19 is one gun I will never get rid of. If for some reason the political climate in this country changed so drastically that we can never buy or transfer any more semi-auto handguns, and we could only own 1 per person, the G19 would be the perfect gun in my opinion. Parts availability, holster availability, easy to detail strip and clean, durable near-corrosion-proof finish, very high capacity to size ratio, light weight, and reliable.

cronus5116
11-15-08, 23:25

lmao thats a good comparison :D

Beat Trash
11-16-08, 09:46

True, Both are fun to have, so long as you can afford to...

macman37
11-16-08, 10:33
Don't own one, don't like how they feel in my hand. Don't hate them. If you like them, more power to you. I'd not kick you off my team for owning one.

This is pretty much where I'm at too.

I have shot them, didn't care for the grip angle, spongy recoil or bad trigger. I've said it before: I WISH I liked Glocks... I'd rather have purchased four Glocks for what my Ed Brown cost... :eek:

Cagemonkey
11-16-08, 12:09
Had numerous Glocks over the years. Great gun, but I wish they would catchup with then times. I wish they would change the grip angle and have replaceable back straps. For what its worth, my theory on the grip angle is that Glock copied the angle found on the Luger. Glock originally made knives for the Austrian Army. When the Army put out word they were looking to replace the Steyr GB pistol, Glock thought it would make a pistol and submit it for trials. Glock had no previous firearms experience and I think they use the Lugar as an inspiration. When the Lugar come into service around the turn of the century/1900, it was common practice to shoot a pistol one handed with ones arm stretched out. If you aim your Glock in that manner you will notice the gun points nice with the sights level. Aim with the more modern two handed position and the gun points muzzle high.

JonInWA
11-17-08, 07:38
I've found that the current Generation III Glocks with the fingergroove frontstrap and subtly revised rear tang provide a much more natural point, compared to previous Generation II (straight frontstrap) Glocks; there's just enough material removed/modified on the reciever to make a difference, at least for me.

Best, Jon

Savior 6
11-17-08, 14:48
I find Glock's grip angle to force me into a more solid shooting stance. In practicing with Sigs and HKs I find no transition problem in going to the Glock. I simply seem to "push" it out more. For some reason Glocks seem more "pointable" to me and require less practice. After a day at the Range shooting Sigs and HKs and reaching fatigue/patience I can transition to the Glock and finish the day well.

.357sigger
11-21-08, 13:46
I have a 19 along with a 30 sf and I would always like to add another...maybe a 26 :D

chadbag
11-21-08, 13:54
Wednesday I finally got out to the range again.

A friend brought along his G22 and an XD compact in 40. The XD compact was much more pleasant to shoot than the full size Glock -- both in 40 shooting the same ammo. The glock had a large amount of muzzle flip and the XD compact. I only shot a mag or two from each but the XD was much easier for me. My P229 in 40 was also easier to shoot from a "harshness" standpoint as well compared to the G22

I would like to try the 40 M&P

condoor
11-22-08, 14:02
I resisted glocks for a long time. I've had Sigs, HKs, S&W, Walther, Ruger, etc. I tried a glock on a whim a few years ago, and now that's all I own. I think the grip angle is different enough from others, that I felt I should standardize on one platform so it's just glocks for me.

The XD does nothing for me, but I'm very interested in the M&P as it feels good in my hand, and I'm a longtime Smith fan. I'm fairly invested in Glock now however, with many magazines, holsters, etc - so I don't see any reason to change. The Glock fits my hand very well and I point naturally with it. To me the glock grip angle is the same as if I held out my hand and pointed my index finger at something - natural and relaxed, 1911 grip angle seems more upright as if I had my hand out holding a cup of coffee - more tensioned.

User Name
11-22-08, 18:04
I got my "pre order" offer on the new 4th gen Glock today. Looks like I better buy another 3rd gen 19. I've gotten used to them.

Jack_Stroker
11-24-08, 15:39
The only thing I have against the Glock is the grip angle and the feel of the grip in general. Other than that they are fine. I sometimes recommend them, but I advise people to try different guns prior to buying so they can make the right choice. I prefer and recommend the Springfield XD as a alternative to the Glock for a pistol with a similar feature set. I recognize the Glock is the gun that set the bar for durability and reliability in polymer based handguns and I think the XD at least matches the Glock and in some ways may even exceed it.

jcase64
11-24-08, 16:02
Glock is a great tool no question. I just prefer the M&P.

Jack_Stroker
11-24-08, 17:42
Glock is a great tool no question. I just prefer the M&P.

I'm not a huge fan of the M&P either. I do prefer it over the Glock though. I guess I'm just a 1911 kind of guy, but my favorite Polymer pistols are Springfield XD's and some H&K's.

ddemis
11-25-08, 15:06
I bought my first Glock in 1990(mod.17) and carried it for Armored car work, Leo duties, various IDPA matches, and have carried it on my CCW for nearly 18+ years. With some 20,000 rounds through it and only one break down I think MR. Gaston built one of the greatest combat autos ever. I've owned an Astra 9mm and a Beretta over the years and they don't even come close. I love my glock and would never trade it.

cronus5116
01-10-09, 21:34
I finally bought myself a GSR, love the way it feels (more than the glock) and not to mention looks better, but glock is still for me number one

Bob RI
01-10-09, 22:15
I tried (G22 and G35)...ended up selling both - no regrets. Both were reliable and accurate but I shoot the XD more accurately and they feel better to me.

Solid
01-10-09, 23:57
I finally bought myself a GSR, love the way it feels (more than the glock) and not to mention looks better, but glock is still for me number one

I too have a GSR, but it will never be the fighting pistol that my Glocks are.

Raiden
01-11-09, 02:07
I sure as hell don't love Glocks. They are guns - I make it a rule not to think of firearms like I do of people or pets. ;) Besides which, they're ugly, clunky, they lack a factory-option external manual safety, and they have a really annoying fan club.

However out of all the handguns I've tried, my preferred flavor of Glock is the only handgun I've found that is shootable, concealable, reliable, available, sufficiently customizable to my preferred configuration, and relatively cheap to purchase, feed, and maintain, all at the same time. My resulting feeling towards the tool in question can be described as satisfaction, rather than love. Give me a 17 for the range and a 26 to stick in my pants, and I'm a satisfied customer. (Wait, that doesn't sound good, does it?)

The Glock's grip angle was developed with the best of intentions but relatively little knowledge on the part of the designer. Glock studied and measured people's hands and built the gun around that data. Unfortunately, the data was all based on shooting one-handed. When folks shoot two-handed, they naturally get a little different cant to the gun.What he did was copy the grip of the M1911A1. If you line them up side-by-side to scale, the grip of the G17 is nearly identical to the 1911. The G19's grip is identical. The difference is in where the trigger is relative to the grip. My theory is that Gaston Glock didn't know anything about ergonomics and figured, fck it, just copy the 1911.

citizensoldier16
01-11-09, 03:58
What he did was copy the grip of the M1911A1. If you line them up side-by-side to scale, the grip of the G17 is nearly identical to the 1911. The G19's grip is identical. The difference is in where the trigger is relative to the grip. My theory is that Gaston Glock didn't know anything about ergonomics and figured, fck it, just copy the 1911.

Just put my G17, G19, and 1911 out and looked...and I must say, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Glocks have a different grip-to-slide angle, are devoid of a beavertail, have completely enclosed firing control mechanisms, and are polymer.

To me, I have to "aim" my 1911, whereas I can "point" my Glocks....if that makes sense.

ToddG
01-11-09, 08:40
What he did was copy the grip of the M1911A1. If you line them up side-by-side to scale, the grip of the G17 is nearly identical to the 1911. The G19's grip is identical. The difference is in where the trigger is relative to the grip. My theory is that Gaston Glock didn't know anything about ergonomics and figured, fck it, just copy the 1911.

No. According to folks I've worked with who were intimately familiar with the design process for the original G17, Glock took measurements and images of various people's hands and designed the gun around those. But for whatever reason, the process never considered two-handed shooting. That is why the grip angle is unusual.

dirksterg30
01-11-09, 08:45
Glocks are fine weapons, but I much prefer the M&P series and CZ P-01. Both fit my hand much better, I shoot better with them, and mine have proven to be just as reliable as a Glock.

JonInWA
01-11-09, 10:05
In my experience, the grip angle was subtly modified (and, in my opinion, significantly improved-especially for two-handed shooting) with the 3rd Generation Glocks-with the finger-grooved receivers, thumbrest indentations, and light rails. I believe that the rear tang angle of the upper backstrap was also concurrently modified-the sum of these modifications was that Glocks come to a much more natural point for me-without the need to "pull down" the gun after the instinctive point of the 1st and 2nd Generation Glocks, which tended to initially point high on initial index/draw.

While this is a particular improvement for me with two-handed shooting, I also prefer the 3rd Generation guns for their index and pointability in strong- and weak-handed shooting.

Best, Jon

Solid
01-11-09, 10:18
Just put my G17, G19, and 1911 out and looked...and I must say, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Glocks have a different grip-to-slide angle, are devoid of a beavertail, have completely enclosed firing control mechanisms, and are polymer.

To me, I have to "aim" my 1911, whereas I can "point" my Glocks....if that makes sense.

I bet you have a flat main spring housing.

Matt Edwards
01-11-09, 14:58
I'm a Glock fan.
I'm a 1911 fan.
I'm a SW MP fan.

Short triggers, low to the hand.

ToddG
01-11-09, 18:09
I'm a Glock fan.
I'm a 1911 fan.
I'm a SW MP fan.

EPIC FAIL.

You must choose one and say it (and only it) is good. All others suck. Otherwise, your errornet users card will be revoked. You have been warned.

Jack_Stroker
01-11-09, 18:25

I'm the opposite. The Glock grip angle makes pointing accurately very difficult for me. Given time I'm sure I can get used to it. Not a comfortable gun for me. I also can't stand their factory sites either.

williejc
01-11-09, 20:09
Can you guys comment on 357 Sig Glocks from a reliability viewpoint? Also I assume a drop-in .40 S&W barrel can convert these models to .40. Am I correct?

M4arc
01-11-09, 20:24
Can you guys comment on 357 Sig Glocks from a reliability viewpoint? Also I assume a drop-in .40 S&W barrel can convert these models to .40. Am I correct?

I can't comment on the lone term reliability/durability as I didn't shoot my G32 all that much. It was certainly reliable while I owned it.

Yes, all you would need is a barrel and you'd be good to go.

ToddG
01-11-09, 21:45

I would only recommend the caliber change to a .40-cal Glock manufactured after the 357's came on line. There were changes made to the gun to make it compatible with the 357 SIG cartridge.

The only two LE agencies I know that issued 357 Glocks were NMSP and NJFW. Both had substantial problems and dropped them. Last I knew, even Glock placed the service life of the G31, G32, and G33 at 20,000 rounds max.

cronus5116
01-11-09, 21:57
Last I knew, even Glock placed the service life of the G31, G32, and G33 at 20,000 rounds max.

Ummm. really dumb question, why such a short life,is the .357 to hot? I hardly know anything about the .357

ToddG
01-11-09, 22:10
Ummm. really dumb question, why such a short life,is the .357 to hot? I hardly know anything about the .357

You're taking a gun that was designed to be a 9mm, had the .40 S&W cartridge shoehorned into it (to varying degrees of success depending upon whom you listen to), and was then slightly modified to handle the higher pressure and slide velocity of the 357.

As a gun you'd carry often and shoot little I'm sure it's fine (though I find the Glocks to be among the "flippier" 357's) but longevity is not something you should expect.

(I had a Beretta 96G Elite turned into a 357 back in '99 ... with even worse results. The frame cracked in multiple places well under 10,000 rounds.)

cronus5116
01-11-09, 23:11
You're taking a gun that was designed to be a 9mm, had the .40 S&W cartridge shoehorned into it (to varying degrees of success depending upon whom you listen to), and was then slightly modified to handle the higher pressure and slide velocity of the 357.

Ok I see what you mean now, what about the 10mm? would you think that one would have a short life also, Ive heard of other gun manufactures having problems with theirs.

ToddG
01-11-09, 23:21
The G20 was designed from day one to be a 10mm and I've never heard any systemic problems with them. In fact, many 10mm aficionados consider them among the better options on the market.

Matt Edwards
01-12-09, 09:37
EPIC FAIL.

You must choose one and say it (and only it) is good. All others suck. Otherwise, your errornet users card will be revoked. You have been warned.

I...uh...crap...

Standing down...:(

John_Wayne777
01-12-09, 10:27
I...uh...crap...

Standing down...:(

Never fear! I shall come to your aid, stout yeoman!

A GLOCK ONCE BIT MY SISTER!!!

hawk
01-12-09, 10:58
One of my co-workers once said to me, "You're the one who likes Glocks right?" I then replied to her, "I own 15 Glocks and I hate every one of them." The boss then said "Sheesh." :D

ToddG
01-12-09, 11:11
Never fear! I shall come to your aid, stout yeoman!

A GLOCK ONCE BIT MY SISTER!!!

Please ignore the T.I.P.

He has been sacked.

Raiden
01-12-09, 11:45
About the grip sizes -

Apparently it was a case of John Moses and Glock using similar methods for similar purposes and getting similar results.

There may be a 1911 in my future, and while reading about flat vs. bulged mainspring housings, I started to wonder what people meant by "grip angle" and how grip shape and angle affected point-ability for different people. I know that I found my old USPc pointed better than my Glock, and SIGs felt really comfortable in my hand. I'm the kind of guy who needs to see things to understand them, so I took the best side views I could find of several kinds of handguns, re-sized them to matching scale, and put them together in photoshop. Now, ass-u-me'ing that I didn't bork the scaling, if you line up the Glocks 17, 19, and 26 on the 1911 (I used an image of a Colt Series 70 repro) at the back where the web of the shooter's hand goes, curvature and angle looks to be near identical. You can see also that the Glock grips are fatter. The trigger on the Glock is also lower and further forwards, which means a different angle in the hand, but compared to the slide axis they appear have the same general grip angle as a 1911.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/711/gripsizespu5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Of course my little armchair analysis might be completely useless, because I've overlooked something basic. I don't actually have a 1911 on hand to check.

natdm
01-12-09, 11:59
Some other guy had a picture like the one you made, with lines drawn down the center of the grips to show the angle difference. It pointed out they were different by just a little bit, not much at all. But it's still different. A little difference in grip changes a lot.

I like how it feels. I fire the 19 every now and then. But for now, I have a P2000. It might be the wrong choice over the glock! :-X TRADES?! :-P

cronus5116
01-12-09, 23:32
About the grip sizes -

Apparently it was a case of John Moses and Glock using similar methods for similar purposes and getting similar results.

There may be a 1911 in my future, and while reading about flat vs. bulged mainspring housings, I started to wonder what people meant by "grip angle" and how grip shape and angle affected point-ability for different people. I know that I found my old USPc pointed better than my Glock, and SIGs felt really comfortable in my hand. I'm the kind of guy who needs to see things to understand them, so I took the best side views I could find of several kinds of handguns, re-sized them to matching scale, and put them together in photoshop. Now, ass-u-me'ing that I didn't bork the scaling, if you line up the Glocks 17, 19, and 26 on the 1911 (I used an image of a Colt Series 70 repro) at the back where the web of the shooter's hand goes, curvature and angle looks to be near identical. You can see also that the Glock grips are fatter. The trigger on the Glock is also lower and further forwards, which means a different angle in the hand, but compared to the slide axis they appear have the same general grip angle as a 1911.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/711/gripsizespu5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Of course my little armchair analysis might be completely useless, because I've overlooked something basic. I don't actually have a 1911 on hand to check.

yes your right, like I said I have a GSR and both it and my 21C are very close angle and curvature wise, the only thing is the GSR feels a little better in my hand part of the reason for that is that the glock has a fatter grip than the GSR and there is something else there to I can't put my finger on ????? maybe someone knows what Im talking about

MHL555
01-13-09, 18:50
I put off purchasing a Glock for 20 plus years. I carried the Smith M-19, M-27, M-58 and M-4566 as a patrolman. I have fired the Glock 17,19,22 and 23. I bought my first Glock 23 last year, which for me bites the trigger finger at times. I still like it and saving for a M-17/19. Be safe, Mark :cool:

QuickStrike
01-14-09, 00:17
Despite the company's elitist attitude and the pistol's boxy look, my G19 is probably my most trusted pistol.

I've been getting better with it, and since it shoots great, it's starting to look kinda cute! Kinda like one of those Scions... :p

El Mac
01-14-09, 08:24
Glocks: meh.

theJanitor
01-14-09, 10:59
i'm a 1911 guy. my best buddy is a glock guy. one of our mutual friends finally decided to get a pistol and get some training after Obama was elected. after much discussion, he ended up with a G19. it's proven, so far, to be reasonably accurate and reliable, for him.

i tried to run it and i couldn't seem to shoot smoothly with it. and i didn't try hard enough to pinpoint what the problem(s) is. I just can't seem to warm up to them. maybe a 17/22 would work better.

eta: i just ran a few hundred rounds through my new M&P9 this weekend and it felt fantastic right from the start, with exception to the trigger reset.

wargasm
01-14-09, 14:23
Despite my G22 breaking (should be back from Smyrna in about 2 weeks), it's still tops on my list. I did just purchase a Kimber Custom II, which is giving the G22 a run for it's money! I will be adding the Kimber to my CCW permit after sufficient training time with it, even though I used to compete in IPSC with a modified Colt 1991 back in '92.

scrawnym4
01-15-09, 05:49
I am new at this but here goes, I don't hate or love Glocks. I have owned them in the past and easily put thousands of rounds through it (G22). They are very reliable and usually problem free. A close friend of mine introduced me to a Sig Sauer P229 a number of years ago and I have been a Sig finatic ever since..

Jack_Stroker
01-15-09, 11:09
I am new at this but here goes, I don't hate or love Glocks. I have owned them in the past and easily put thousands of rounds through it (G22). They are very reliable and usually problem free. A close friend of mine introduced me to a Sig Sauer P229 a number of years ago and I have been a Sig finatic ever since..

I've never owned a Glock but I'm kind of a Beretta fanatic, but I only like the 92 variants. I don't care for the PX4 Storm. I just wish Beretta had more caliber choices and more choices as far as size goes. They have had compact 92's in the past, but as far as I know, they don't anymore.

Scott Gerber
01-15-09, 12:29

Scott Gerber
01-15-09, 13:53
Up until a few years ago I've had a Glock in my arsenal and most of the time on the hip ever since they came out. I think I've had up to 6 different Glocks in various calibers and models, all great guns and none a problem child. I had a blast learning how to upgrade them with this and that part and learned how to shoot well with the famous mushy trigger Glock is known for. However, as I have aged and more and more people join the Glock frenzy, everyone now has a Glock including the gang-bangers. I have found in my maturity a desire for real steel and the feel of such. No more plastic and molded parts, only all steel and machined metal. I don't have to be concerned about a broken slide rail that was stamped into shape and molded in position, plastic guide rods or chunky pineapple grips. I can carry mine "Cocked and locked" and don't have to worry about shooting myself in the leg like some other thug did. I feel more serious and professional about CCW with a steel gun and for some reason always find myself saying "No 1911's here" when ever I happen down a toy isle with orange tip guns.

Scott

jhs1969
01-15-09, 15:59
I would only recommend the caliber change to a .40-cal Glock manufactured after the 357's came on line. There were changes made to the gun to make it compatible with the 357 SIG cartridge.

The only two LE agencies I know that issued 357 Glocks were NMSP and NJFW. Both had substantial problems and dropped them. Last I knew, even Glock placed the service life of the G31, G32, and G33 at 20,000 rounds max.

Tennessee Highway Patrol switched a few years back from the S&W Sigma (.40, I belive) to the .357 Glocks. I have a friend that joined THP and shortly after he joined they made the switch (which made him happy). I haven't seen him in 3-4 years and am not sure if they are still issuing the .357 Glocks at this point.

If you know the latest status of the THP and their feelings on the .357 Glocks please share. I'm curious about this now.

the_fallguy
01-16-09, 02:06
I'm still not sure how I feel about Glocks, but I know I keep buying "better" handguns that I just can't make work as well..... I have owned and tried several handguns, and I keep going back to the Glock platform.

I actually just sold my HK45C (my "dream gun" since I read the first article about it in Shotgun News) in order to buy a Glock 19 and a .22lr conversion kit. It looks like I'm going to be doomed to the "dark side" forever.

Jack_Stroker
01-16-09, 08:41
Well I decided to see what the "hype" over Glocks was all about for myself. I just purchased two. The Glock 21 SF and the Glock 36. I was really looking for a sub-compact semi-automatic handgun in .45ACP and really, no one had anything that offered more bang for my buck than Glock did. i was checking out the 21 SF which I had been doing for some time and decided to pick that one up as well. It is the Glock rail model with a standard right hand magazine release. I hope to shoot them at the range tonight and test them out.

These may replace my Springfield XD's as daily carry weapons.

POF.Ops
01-17-09, 23:07
I don't like Glocks at all. I owned one, a 17 for a very short while when they were first imported to the USA. I traded it in for a Sig 226 which was a much better gun. I don't even like wasting the time to write these few sentences about Glocks.

Jack_Stroker
01-18-09, 13:59
I don't like Glocks at all. I owned one, a 17 for a very short while when they were first imported to the USA. I traded it in for a Sig 226 which was a much better gun. I don't even like wasting the time to write these few sentences about Glocks.

I didn't like them very much originally, but recently I've come to like them quite a bit. I went looking for two pistols recently. A 10mm and a .45ACP sub-compact. I searched and searched. I checked out 1911's, XD's, H&K's and other weapons and I ended up coming to the conclusion that no one made a better weapon for the price. Certainly not in regard to what I was looking for. Glocks are also easy to find holsters and accessories for. Magazine prices are sometimes on the high side, but cheaper than XD or H&K mags.

I ended picking up the Glock 36 and while I was there I started looking at the Glock 21SF. I've always been a huge fan of the .45ACP round. I always hated the Glock 21 due to the grip size, but the Glock 21SF addressed my issues with how the grip felt. So I bought them both right on the spot. After shooting them I have come to like them better than the Springfield XD which I do like and previously liked alot. I already shoot the Glock as well as I do the XD which I've got thousands of rounds through. I want the Glock 10mm as well, but I am going to wait for the Glock 20SF. The Glock 20 has the same grip I didn't like on the original version of the Glock 21. I'm also thinking about picking up the Glock 22.

Hellfire
01-18-09, 14:59
I've owned and shot Glocks since 1994. The first handgun I purchased myself was a 2nd gen G23. I didn't know much at all about Glocks but I wanted a reliable semi-compact handgun chambered in .40s&w that was affordable, the G23 fit the bill. This was my only handgun and I shot it regularly between 1994 and 2007 without any issues what so ever, it ran like a top. The only maintenance it received was general cleaning/field strip only. No springs were replaced, never detail striped. In early 2007 I had several failures to feed/extract, so I drove up to Glock to let them take a look, no appointment, just showed up. Spoke with a technician and explained what was going on, he took the gun and my 4 mags with him, 35-40min later he returned with a rebuilt G23 and 4 new magazines. The technician told me he replaced the extractor and all the springs, all of this was free of charge. The 23 has run flawlessly since and I have about 4k through since the rebuild. I also own a G30 and a G27, I bought the 27 the same day the 23 was rebuilt just because I was so impressed with Glock's customer service. There are many, many fine handguns, but Glocks are tough to beat at their price point.

thopkins22
01-18-09, 15:23
...everyone now has a Glock including the gang-bangers. I have found in my maturity a desire for real steel and the feel of such...don't have to worry about shooting myself in the leg like some other thug did. I feel more serious and professional about CCW with a steel gun

Because gang members don't own 1911s and other expensive guns?

Professionals have shot themselves with all manner of guns. I gauge their seriousness by how well they've learned to implement whatever is on their side.

shootmovecomm
01-18-09, 15:42
I believe the 1st Glock that I personally purchased was a M23 in 1994. Ever since I have been issued a M22. I like the M19 the best but when you have access to an unlimited supply of .40 it's hard not to try to get to know the weapon. I get .9mm but in limited quantities. The thing I like the best about the M22 and M23 is that after I have had a shooting session with either one I shoot everything else much better. The grip egronomics and the trigger until about 3,000 to 5,000 rounds aren't the smartest on that weapon, but it will get down and dirty. I know that I have to be high on the back strap and it must fell wierd in the webbing of my hand between my thumb and index finger. Almost as if I don't have a good grip on it. That is what I really dislike. That is not always the easiest thing to accomplish when drawing fast. However the customer support regardless if you are civilian or operational is outstanding.

I do have a knowledge based question for anyone operating a Glock in a serious fashion. Is anyone having luck with any sort of combat type adjustable rear sights (meprolight, MMC, etc.)? I am a heavy left drifter with this weapon at the 25 yard line.

Buckshot TX
01-18-09, 16:03
In response to the original question posed, I neither hate nor love the Glock, but I RESPECT the design very much. It has been one of the most, if not the most reliable out of the box semiauto designs.
I've CCW'ed for about 30 years now & I carried a G-19 for a dozen of them, so I guess that says a lot! I never felt fully comfortable with the grip angle, but the "thrust to weight ratio" was so superior to the other choices that I "adapted & overcame". I've ended up running 9mm M&Ps for the last few years mainly because I believe they're largely a "Product Improved" Glock that points well for me. I find Glock's arrogance & unwillingness to admit problems or make product improvements VERY frustrating - I think it will hurt them down the line, but it's damn hard to argue with their marketing success!
As a practical gunsmith, they're frustrating because there's little that can be done to them. They won't be as responsive to my ministrations as a 1911 or S&W revolver, or even most "Krunchentickers" - you can slick 'em up a little w/o safety issues, but not much. Largely, they are what they are & if you can't accept them mostly at face value, don't buy one.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-18-09, 18:13
The Glock 17 is a truly excellent weapon. It is accurate, easy to shoot, and totally reliable. For some reason they aren't particularly lovable. I know somebody will think or say "Guns are tools, nothing more." That CAN be true, but I doubt many who are on this forum look at their firearms strictly as tools. Ken Hackathorn summed up the Glock as "the only gun that comes out of the box with zero pride of ownership."

That said, if someone said, pick out a gun, this is the only one, and the last one you will ever have--the Glock 17 would be at or near the top of the list.

Scott Gerber
01-20-09, 14:06
Because gang members don't own 1911s and other expensive guns?

Professionals have shot themselves with all manner of guns. I gauge their seriousness by how well they've learned to implement whatever is on their side.

All meant tongue and cheek... :D

Scott

ghost762
01-25-09, 19:57
I'd rather have a S&W MP or H&K USP compact than a Glock. Now if someone was going to hand me a new Glock and a I didn't have to pay for it I'd take one.

NoBody
01-25-09, 19:59
Deleted.

ghost762
01-25-09, 20:03
And the reason would be? :rolleyes:

Never liked the look and feel of the Glocks. I'm kind of partial to S&W due to the owning the a model 410. As for the USP compact it's more of a want than a need.

gunner757
01-25-09, 20:12
i had a g22 a while ago. Everytime i pulled the trigger the slide locked to the rear. I was so pissed and disgusted that i sold it. I have generally been classified as a "gun snob" or "glock hater" ever since. Recently a buddy of mine has convinced me that i had the lemon, and that i should give glock another chance. I have been looking for a new summer carry gun, and have been looking into the glock sub compacts. Not sure i will or wont but am definitely considering iit.

Jack_Stroker
01-25-09, 20:16
i had a g22 a while ago. Everytime i pulled the trigger the slide locked to the rear. I was so pissed and disgusted that i sold it. I have generally been classified as a "gun snob" or "glock hater" ever since. Recently a buddy of mine has convinced me that i had the lemon, and that i should give glock another chance. I have been looking for a new summer carry gun, and have been looking into the glock sub compacts. Not sure i will or wont but am definitely considering iit.

Well I just picked up a Glock 36 sub-compact .45ACP. Very controllable, feels good in the hand. It is very slim. They also bevel the front part of the slide for carry which is really nice. I've also got a Glock 23. I hadn't been a big fan of Glocks up until recently. I won't say that I love them and I'm a convert but they are great for the money and very reliable.

NoBody
01-25-09, 20:49
Deleted.

tpd223
01-27-09, 02:50
"i had a g22 a while ago. Everytime i pulled the trigger the slide locked to the rear. "

Dude, your slide release was installed wrong, the spring will cause it to do this if the gun is reassembled incorrectly. BTW, it's a 10 second fix.

I carry Glock 9mms daily. We issue them at work, but off-duty I can carry almost anything I want, I carry a G17 by choice.
My battery of serious handguns is all Glock 9mms of various size and S&W J frames.

woodandsteel
01-29-09, 09:18
15 years ago, I was issued a Glock 22. I really didn't like it. Actually, I hated it. I was wishing that we would be able to buy our own weapons, so I could buy a Sig.

However, I have come to respect the Glock. I like the trigger reset and the utilitarian design of the Glock. I like it so much, the I bought my issued Glock when it was replaced by the third generation Glocks. Now when anyone asks me to recommend a handgun, I tend to direct them towards a Glock 19.

I prefer the grips on the second generation Glocks to that of the finger grooves on the third generation Glocks. Just personal preference.

My wife, on the other hand, does not like the Glock design at all. She prefers HK's and sigs over the Glock. As a matter of fact, I don't think she has ever fired my Glock.

tpd223
01-30-09, 06:05
I hear alot of people bitch about the grip angle on a Glock. I like it just fine, among other reasons that it forces a more locked down wrist, thus less muzzle climb during recoil.

Glocks ain't a 1911, but the grip angle on my G17s looks pretty much the same as the grip angle on my K frame S&Ws.
Guys like Bill Jordan were real fans of how a K frame pointed.

Just an observation.

woodandsteel
01-30-09, 12:02
Whe I first started carrying the Glock, I hated the angle of the grip. It was not comfortable to shoot. And my qualification scores did little to give me confidence in the gun.

However, I saw a video of Dave Sevigny showing the correct way to grasp the Glock. Grasping it higher on the grip than I was. Once I trained myself to properly grasp the gun, I found myself doing much better on the range and in our practical courses.

teufeldog
01-30-09, 12:31
Since the talk is about the grip angle I'll chime in with my experience. After departing from the Corps I wanted to buy a G34 or an M9 (92FS) but ended up getting talked out of it by the dealer. I bought a CZ 75B. Great pistol but lousy for a lefty if you want to carry cocked and locked. Anyway, a fireman buddy (now LEO) picked up a G23 around the same time. It was a pain in the ass to shoot because of the grip angle. After a few boxes of rounds I started to adjust and figure it out and felt I could shoot it quite well, at least better than my buddy could shoot it. :D Time went on and I sold the CZ because it wasn't a practical carry piece for me, though I loved the ergos. I replaced it with a G19. The grip still felt uncomfortable to me but over time I have come to like it more and more and now it feels quite nice and I have no problems with it and do not hesitate recommending a Glock to anyone anymore.

Jack_Stroker
01-30-09, 12:35
Since the talk is about the grip angle I'll chime in with my experience. After departing from the Corps I wanted to buy a G34 or an M9 (92FS) but ended up getting talked out of it by the dealer. I bought a CZ 75B. Great pistol but lousy for a lefty if you want to carry cocked and locked. Anyway, a fireman buddy (now LEO) picked up a G23 around the same time. It was a pain in the ass to shoot because of the grip angle. After a few boxes of rounds I started to adjust and figure it out and felt I could shoot it quite well, at least better than my buddy could shoot it. :D Time went on and I sold the CZ because it wasn't a practical carry piece for me, though I loved the ergos. I replaced it with a G19. The grip still felt uncomfortable to me but over time I have come to like it more and more and now it feels quite nice and I have no problems with it and do not hesitate recommending a Glock to anyone anymore.

I didn't like the grip angle either initially. Eventually I forced myself to get used to it and now I like the Glocks a lot. Not my favorite guns but they do what I need them to do. For me ergnomics of the 1911 and Beretta 92FS can't be beat. Nothing feels better in my hands than those two guns do.

M4arc
01-30-09, 12:36

Did you do any troubleshooting or try and fix it before you got disgusted and sold it? I don't mean to put you on the spot but these stories amaze me. I have a hard time developing a strong opinion on something with just a little bit or single sample experience.

In your case I would be willing to bet money that someone installed the slide release incorrectly.

dirksterg30
01-30-09, 12:42

Sounds like you've already moved on, but the CZ-85 has an ambi thumb safety & slide release.

El Mac
01-30-09, 12:42
The damn things give me carpal tunnel and heartburn.

teufeldog
01-30-09, 12:55
Sounds like you've already moved on, but the CZ-85 has an ambi thumb safety & slide release.

Yep, moved on. Looking back, the 85B would have suited me better. I was pretty handgun ignorant at the time. My entire world back then was either 1911 or M9. I still have a CZ 40P which has fantastic ergos and with the decocker it is much more useable as a lefty than the 75B was. The 40P is not as pleasurable to shoot as the G19 but it is still a great gun. I am totally coveting a Sig P229R (.40) right now but I really have to please the wife and get her a gun. She really wants a Sig P232.

Back on thread topic -- After selling the 75B I could have gotten whatever I wanted, within budget, of course. The Glock was not top on my list but after seeing what was available I think I got the best gun for the money. I got a great deal on that 'Homeland Defense' marketing package they had been selling for a short time. The G19 came with night sights, extended slide stop, extended mag release, Glock tac light, and four mags. Good stuff!

ROCKET20_GINSU
01-30-09, 19:02
If I could only own 1 pistol the G19 would be it. Reliable, compact, high capacity, excellent concealability, great shootability, lots of accessories and holsters, easy to modify and personalize, components are cheap and pretty darn accurate. I can't say enough good things about them. I also compete in USPSA production w/ a G34 so the manual of arms, grip angle and trigger are all virtually identical. Makes using my USPSA practice transfer over to CCW much easier. I am a big fan of picking one platform and sticking with it...Sure I own a beretta 92fs because I'm Mil, and a 1911 because I'm an american, and a S&W 640 because I'm practical, but I shoot and carry glocks the most.

I've gotten very use to the grip angle and I find it helps me recover from recoil especially well. The only down side is that It makes it hard for me to transition over to 1911's, M9's because I am so used to glocks, but since I love glock the most its not that big a deal. And with all the different sizes and features you can have a full blown tactical pistol G17/G34/G21 a compact hideout G26 and everything inbetween with the same manual of arms, compatable magazines and familiarity!

Glocks are extremely reliable, great value, and its the pistol I shoot best and most accurately and that is why they are for me.

torrpd
01-30-09, 19:28
I carry one on duty. Its alright, wouldn't be my first choice.

Jack_Stroker
01-30-09, 21:42
I am a big fan of picking one platform and sticking with it..And with all the different sizes and features you can have a full blown tactical pistol G17/G34/G21 a compact hideout G26 and everything inbetween with the same manual of arms, compatable magazines and familiarity!

Glocks are extremely reliable, great value, and its the pistol I shoot best and most accurately and that is why they are for me.

This is why I now own three of them and I'm planning on buying more. I really have no love for them but they are economical and they are all the same. I prefer my Beretta 92FS but it isn't ideal for many situaitons. I like my 1911's but again, they aren't always ideal either. I use revolvers for some scenarios, but again, not always ideal. I can get a Glock for virtually all scenarios and everything I learn for one Glock is good for the rest.

I've got a Glock 21SF for home defense/SHTF. My Glock 36 serves as a backup weapon to compliment it. I have a Glock 23 for concealed carry. I plan on getting a Glock 20SF for animal protection while I'm at the house in the country. My familiarity with the Glock 21SF should transfer over fairly well and with the right loads, it will be capable of handling virtually all my needs. If I ever start shooting competitively, I'll probably go with a Glock for that too.

cronus5116
08-29-09, 00:06
I have a few handguns but I think that the glock will always be my first choice, as the saying goes takes a licking and keeps on ticking

Bob RI
08-29-09, 08:12
I do not hate them...I just prefer others. I had two Glocks, a G22 and a G35. They were 100% reliable but I found myself liking other guns more.

loupav
08-29-09, 10:28
My first glock was a mod. 34. I bought it because I watched Man on Fire one too many times! ;) But I love it. It's a very soft shooting 9mm pistol and even took it to a GSSF match. I shot much better than I thought I would.

My second Glock was a G21SF w/Glock Rail. I bought it because one day I walked in to my office and found bullet holes in the window and wall behind my desk. Later that day one of the fork lift operators found three spent .45 casings. Yeah it's great living/working in East LA. But oh well. I figured a G21 w/X300 would be a great office gun. That and 10 rounds of 45 Hydra Shock.

My third Glock is the obligatory G19! I shot someone's G19 at the range one day and there wasn't anything I couldn't hit. Once I got mine, that changed. But I love the little pistol anyway.

I hope to buy a G17 RTF some day, I just think the slide serrations on the RTF series, are among the ugliest of any pistol.

I like Glocks, I think they are great pistols. But I don't like the stock Mag or Slide release. I always change them out to the extended versions. I'd like to try a Larry Vickers Mag release. Nor do I like the stock sight picture. I prefer three dot night sights. But they are simple fixes. With that being said. I shoot/love my HKs more. But I wouldn't mind shooting zombies with a Glock, but prefer an HK.

Cascades236
08-29-09, 14:49
Love my glocks. Always have one with me, on or off duty. If I could have only one pistol it would be the 21.

Cueball1897
08-29-09, 15:17
+1 :D

Love 'em

Glock 23 owner...

Fly'nBuff
08-29-09, 16:52
I really like Glocks for what they are. I have a number of models ranging from the 26/36 for CCW, 19/23 for training and home protection, and the 34/35 for competitions. They are plenty accurate and I have no problem with their triggers. The Glock 23 was my first handgun, so thanks to the law of primacy, I'm exceptionally comfortable carrying and shooting Glocks. However, I much prefer everything about a 1911. I would much rather sport Wilson Combats at every opportunity, but fiduciary reasons prohibit otherwise. I have a two tone Classic and I shot the snot out of that poor gun, but it doesn't really lend itself to the multiple applications that my stable of Glocks can. Hopefully down the road I'll be able to spoil myself rotten, but in the meantime, I consider myself a Glock lover.

geminidglocker
08-29-09, 17:15
Love:)

MAUSER202
08-29-09, 18:09
I have never owned one, but have shot a friends 17 many times. Aesthetically I don’t find the design pleasing; I am one of those people who don’t like polymer frames. In use I find the grip too bulky (appears hard to conceal also), and the felt recoil in my hand is more than my Sigs. However I do find it to be an accurate and reliable pistol.

CAPT KIRK
08-29-09, 19:11
When I was a young LEO I was one of those big smack talkers (owned Sig's n HK's), who ragged on "tactical tuperware" guns. Then one day I had to swallow my pride and start carrying one. Since that time I have carried the G17 and now the G21. Since then I have had to use both in the line of duty and both went BANG precisely when I told them to, as well as hitting what I needed them too.

No gun is more than a dangerous paper weight unless you train and train well with it.

In competent hands, Glocks work!!!

cop1211
08-29-09, 19:38
I carry the Glock 21 on duty, I can shoot it well, but it is the most uncomfortable gun I've ever had,just way to big on the grip. Would'nt mind the 21sf, but those are only issued to the female officers.(?)

I've been trying for years to get them to let officers that want to purchase something else be able to do so, for various valid reasons, but so far have been stonewalled.

cronus5116
08-29-09, 23:36
I carry the Glock 21 on duty, I can shoot it well, but it is the most uncomfortable gun I've ever had,just way to big on the grip. Would'nt mind the 21sf, but those are only issued to the female officers.(?)

I know it all depends on the persons hand, but my 21 is one of my most comfortable handguns I own, for me it just has that natural feel to it

SWATcop556
08-31-09, 02:46
After 9 pages I'll throw in my .02 :cool:

When I started my first LEO job it was a smaller department where we had to provide a lot of our own equipment. I had a Kimber TLE-RL that I had a fair amount of $$$ tied up in with custom work to make it run reliably. I still own it and as my user name states I will always love shooting my 1911's. That being said.....

Not too long after I joined the dept we were told by city council that they were purchasing G22's for all officers. I was ok with it until I actually shot mine. It was probably the most unreliable firearm I had shot. I then took the weapon light off and it would run without issues (something that has been well documented for many years now), but I hated not having the light.

I then went to work at the Sheriff's Office where I am issued a G31C. Its not a bad gun but not my favorite by a long shot. I have a G19 that I absolutely love and carry almost every day and a G17 that I train with so that I'm not shooting the 31 all the time.

My first love will always be the 1911 but a 9mm Glock is second. I use other models of Glocks but only because I have no other choice.

TY44934
08-31-09, 11:58
Good review. I have also shot Glocks. A lot. I used to have a GSSF team (Glock only competition), and for a while, I had a guy named Travis on the team (he could shoot well). Me & Travis went down to Atlanta the last time they had the GSSF at Cavalier & we got served by a guy named Simon Golub who won all the free Glocks that weekend (and who, I believe was only there to court his future wife & mother, Julie Goloski). Carried Glocks (still do sometimes). I use them in 3gun sometimes - if the rules require reholstering on the clock (Glock is safe in that role).

Perfect? No - nothing is perfect.

But, Glock is a damn fine 9mm handgun. Magazines are arguably the best as far as reliability.

Douglas

I think the 9mm Glocks are workhorses, and I'd trust my life to one without a second thought. There are guns I shoot better and guns which fit me better, but if someone told me tomorrow that the G17 or G19 was the only gun I could have, I'd lost zero sleep over it.

In my experience, the other calibers are less bulletproof. Many work fine, but the non-9mm models have a much higher incidence of trouble.

There's also a huge difference between hating Glocks and simply being labeled a "Glock Hater" because one dares question the Glock's absolutely superiority in all things. :rolleyes:

warpigM-4
08-31-09, 17:01
I had a Glock 30 for 5yrs .I carried it every where(CCW) ,but it just didn't fit my hand that well .I tend to lean toward sigs but I am looking into a HK45c .Glock is a good choice if it fits you well

tpd223
08-31-09, 18:15
We had serious issues with our G22s in 2006, so much so that we no longer have .40s.
The Glock 9mms have been flawless for the folks on my job, the troops are very happy with the shootability and reliability of the system, and we have no issues with "stopping power".

In the past I had two G35s that I used for SWAT and a G27 that was a BUG.

Now my serious carry battery is Glock 9mms in various sizes, combined with S&W J frames. I seriously doubt that I will be going to anything else anytime soon, or likely even ever.

I did just buy a G20 for a play toy and hunting pistol though, still deciding if I like it or not.

JHC
08-31-09, 19:55
I have 6 Glocks, all in 9mm and shoot them more than my 1911s or revolvers. Now, they feel most "natural" in my hands among semi autos and I shoot them best. In the '80's I shot mostly 1911s and THEY felt most natural in my hand. I tend to belive the "natural" feeling is primarily learned through the volume of use.

mmike87
08-31-09, 21:55
I just don't like the grip angle. However, in the two sims classes I took, we shot Glocks and I did fine, but it didn't feel natural.

LH2
09-01-09, 00:04
I love my 19. It's managed to get quite a few other 9mms kicked out of my collection.

Steyr M9-A1, Sig SP2022, Walther P99, S&W 3913 all gone.

The Glock with Heinie sights shoots great for me. Accurate, reliable, bombproof finish, negligible muzzle flip, crisp trigger reset. Also great capacity and carries easily.

Glock really got it right on the 19. :cool:

Army Chief
09-01-09, 03:16
I'm respectfully ambivalent.

Preference is actually for 1911s and P7s.

AC

Lumpy196
09-01-09, 10:56
Its a hammer. It generates no emotion in me.

People that turn pistols into a religion annoy me either way.

kdcgrohl
09-01-09, 11:02
I like them, have had several. Still have one. My kool-aid prescription is not for that particular brand...

Jim_M
09-01-09, 20:56
they work

ROADKING
09-01-09, 20:59
I HAVE OWNED GLOCKS FOR THE LAST 20 YEARS WENT THROUGH the police academy with a glock and now own the glock19 and love it. I know when i pull the trigger it will go bang. (TRUST) is what i like about them.

DacoRoman
09-01-09, 22:35
they aren't the perfect pistol but when it comes to a combination of reliability, durability, parts availability, economical price including the cost of magazines, ease of maintenance the fact that I can act as my own armorer, and decent accuracy, they are hard to beat

the superlative pleasure of shooting my Wilson CQB makes shooting a Glock feel like I'm using a staple gun in comparison, and Glocks certainly have their own set of foibles (what pistol doesn't right?), but I can live with those and the benefits of having 9mm Glocks far outweigh the costs for me, so I've made the backbone of my "practical" pistol armamentarium consist of two G19's and two G17's

Roy
09-01-09, 23:48
I like em I own em I run em i carry em
I kinda feel like Lumpy its a hammer I wouldnt feel undergunned with a SIG or HK

Tennvol12345
09-02-09, 09:08
Not for me. Had a G21 KB a few years ago, then knew of someone else with a G21 KB within a month of mine. No - not shooting reloads. Shooting factory Hornady XTP.

awm14hp
09-02-09, 19:03
lets start by saying this is only me but I own all types of pistols sigs-1911 SW 3rd Gen -Glock -Revolvers. I own all diff types I only carry Glocks. I shoot them best and the size to capacity to fit is best for me with a glock

cronus5116
09-02-09, 20:50
A lot of people have mentioned that they dont like the way a glock feels, funny thing happened yesterday, I was showing a friend, (who has little to no knowlege of firearms) my glocks, the walther, and my GSR, after holding each one he looked at me and said '' I really like the feel of this one ( my 21C ) more than all youre other ones, it just feels right in my hands" and when I first held I glock it felt a little strange because I was used to my 92 FS but now the glock feels natural to me, and my 1911 feels strange

BigTime
09-02-09, 21:16
i have a Glock 17 and a 30sf,both very reliable and have a purpose in my small collection.

Combat_Diver
09-06-09, 07:32
I will acknowledge that they are a realible pistol but they are not fro me. I've shot them since they came out in 87' or so and never been warmed up to them. Last year I had 4 ea G19 given to me and gave them away (combat zone). I also like my autos to have a manual safety on them. Its a personal preference thing.

CD

cronus5116
02-12-10, 16:59
My full size .45 took some time to get used to but after a while I was shooting fairly well with it, my compact .45 is a different story, I guess not shooting it in over a year doesn't help.

sgalbra76
02-12-10, 17:57
I've never liked striker fired pistols. I've always prefered a crisp SA like on a 1911, or even a nice DA/SA like on the Sig. I voted Sig.

Gutshot John
02-12-10, 18:08
I didn't vote but to clarify I traded in most of my Glocks for sundry M&Ps. The M&P feels better, points better and I shoot it a lot better than the Glock. This discovery took me aback as I was thoroughly smitten with my Glocks but in the end the only thing I like better in the Glock is the trigger. Certainly in a double-stack .45 I have real problems with the Glock.

All that said, even having chosen the M&P, if I had to trust my life to only one handgun until the end of days it would be either a Glock 17 or 19.

As my wife says "the Glock is sooooo 20th century" but I think relevant to firearms there is virtue in the conservative approach of a proven track record.

kjdoski
02-12-10, 20:02
I own or have access to a wide variety of handguns, and every day when I grab a pistol to head off to work, it's a Glock (usually a pair of Glocks).

The size efficiency, reliability, resistance to the elements and ability to run the gun at speed regardless of caliber make the Glock a winner for me.

I keep TRYING to find something better, but nothing floats my boat. The "Classic" Sigs are more accurate at long ranges (25 yards and out), but are massive and heavy, and aren't as easy to shoot quickly at "combat" ranges due to more muzzle flip. The P250 has possibly the best ergonomics of any polymer pistol I've ever shot, but the trigger is awful for rapid, accurate shooting.

The M&Ps do nothing for me. I think the full size is too big for concealed carry on a daily basis, and the Compact is too small/too limited in capacity for a primary fighting gun. What's more, FOR ME, the full size grip never felt "right," and I think it's trigger is a distant second to the Glock WRT weight, feel, reset distance and feel.

I love the look and feel of the HKs, especially the P30, and, if I were going to "stray" any time soon, I think that's what would get my money. But, seriously, I can buy a matched set of Glocks for the price of one P30! Also, I can't figure out why HK, with the quality (and price) of their product, can't design a DA/SA trigger that doesn't suck. The V2 LEM is interesting, but the reset point is still pretty long and "soft" for my tastes. Of course, if I was independently wealthy, I'd carry a pair of P7M8s, but, I haven't won the lotto yet, so that's just a dream.

XDs are another family of pistols that just feel "wrong" to me. Never shot one, but never held one for more than a minute before giving back to the funstore commando to put back on the shelf with a "no, thanks" response.

So, while I'm not, by any stretch, in love with my Glocks, and I think there are plenty of ways they could be improved, they're still my consistent "go to" pistols for serious work.

Regards,

Kevin

misanthropist
02-12-10, 22:50
I'm a sport shooter only since I can't carry privately and despite repeated entries in the management suggestion box by somebody (not sure who) they haven't issued us truck pistols yet.

But I am satisfied with Glocks at this time.

I shoot 10mm mainly and I like the G20 more than any of the other options, in large part on account of its capacity, but also I remember the Delta Elites ten or fifteen years ago seemed to have some issues, and Bren mags were never available, and frankly I just never saw a 1006, although I heard they were good.

So that's how I ended up going to Glock.

I really love 1911s but I am happy with the way my Glock runs. It's certainly simple and after about 1000 rounds of break in, I find it reliable. It was malfunctioning about 1 in 200 rounds for the first thousand, but now it's been steady for the last maybe 15-1600.

If there was an M&P10 I don't know that I would shoot a Glock. Now I am considering a 9mm Glock, mainly because I spend so much time with the G20 that I don't know that it's worth taking on a whole new platform to shoot 9mm.

Otherwise, I would look hard at an M&P9. Not that I think Glocks are bad, I think they are good guns. They don't move me but 180 grains at 1300 fps moves lots of stuff pretty effectively and that's good enough for me.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I like Glocks fine, but I am definitely not a Glock cult member. I will say I tried extremely hard to get my gf interested in a Glock for her 9mm, but no dice...too ugly. And naturally that is the chief concern when evaluating defensive firearms.

But evidently I think highly enough of them to recommend them to others, even if deep down, I really prefer the 1911.

orionz06
02-12-10, 23:27
I shoot other guns better, in fact the more other guns I shoot, the list of guns I shoot better than glocks grows, but I still want to have one. Perhaps when the Lonewolf frame comes around I will give it a shot.

C-Fish
02-13-10, 07:46

"It's a GLOCK thing...", could be just as easily said as the other phrase relted to Jeeps.

Excellent analogy. I agree 100% with you...

I own Glocks and Jeeps :D

I've owned numerous other platforms, but always end up back with Glock.

The only (non Glock) pistol on my want list is a H&K P7M8.

1oldgrunt
02-13-10, 10:35
I whole heartedly disagree with the jeep analogy.....having owned multiple jeeps.....they leak oil like a sieve(sp), " they all leak to some degree, live with it, that's what owning a jeeps all about"... this from large deep dealer service manager.... everytime you work them hard something breaks or needs a repair, you will fund your mechanics colege tuition fund ( actual quote from a mechanic),......Glocks just keep going and going, might never even talk to a gunsmith let alone need one, if you're handy you can swap your own parts out...

I like Ken Hackethorn's analogy of a Glock and a lawn mower best !
Now if I could just get my G17 to mow the lawn it would be the perfect pistol:)

Chameleox
02-13-10, 11:11
I love Glocks, but only because I'll know no other.
I work for a department that permits ONLY Glocks be carried on duty, and has a very limited off duty carry policy. I also work and live in a state where concealed carry is vested only in Law Enforcement (Wisconsin). Therefore, my agency can very easily restrict what I carry, and whether or not I can even carry to begin with.
So, I committed to the Glock, since that's what makes the most sense for me. Its my duty gun (22) and my backup gun (27). For training's sake, I choose to carry my BUG as my off duty carry as well.
I've shot a few others, and I wouldn't mind seeing us go from Glock to M&P in a few years, but I have a ton more trigger time on Glocks because that makes sense for me where I live.

JHC
02-13-10, 16:17
Back on the vehicle analogy; my 5 Glocks are more like my two Nissan Xterras. Everything you need. Nothing that you don't. Reliable as a hammer. Capable; but not to an elite level. Not fancy at all. And they have never broke down.

I like Glocks a LOT and have 3 G19s and 2 G17s presently. Have owned a few other models as well. A G19 is my near constant companion for CCW.

I've just gotten an M&P Pro 9 and it is a delight. I will probably use it for our action pistol and 3 gun at my club this year. It has displayed a noticeable advantage running racks of steel plates vs my 3.5 lb connector G17. Less advantages evident on other multiple target drills thus far. We shall see.

opmike
02-13-10, 18:54
I've had about a 5 year love/hate relationship with my Glock 22. Functionally, it never game me any issues, ate everything, very fast on target with my Heinie's, and I could strip the thing down to it's individual parts with no trouble. The trigger and overall grip angle were fine, no issues there.

However, it simply did not fit my hand...at all. Three primary issues were the finger grooves, back-strap hump, and the rather sharp angle on the underside of the trigger guard that dug into the knuckle on my ring finger. It all made shooting it very unpleasant and distracting.

The 4th Gen models address some of this, but I'm looking at other options. Amazing handguns if you're not one of the unlucky few, though. I'm looking into the M&P line currently which are some of the most comfortable polymer handgun's I've shot.

tradja
02-14-10, 05:14
:shrug: I can get bogged down in gear and gadget details, but for me it was a tool. I've run my classes with my G26 while the 1911 sits in the safe. I'm pleased with how simple it is to learn, leaving me to focus on fundamentals and skills instead of my gear.

BBQ gun? Hardly. But it's a functional, unobtrusive carry and I love it for what it is.

Jeff Franz
02-14-10, 08:08
I have a G17 that functions flawlessly, but doesn't fit my hand well at all. I'm sending it off to Boresight Solutions next week to attempt to remedy that problem. As a tool, the reliability of the Glock is hard to beat in my opinion.

Falar
02-14-10, 08:56
I've never liked striker fired pistols. I've always prefered a crisp SA like on a 1911, or even a nice DA/SA like on the Sig. I voted Sig.

I'm the same way, but like HKs and Berettas. I guess I'm just too traditional, I don't want anything to do with a gun that doesn't have a manual safety or external hammer.

User Name
02-14-10, 09:02
Glocks are what I am comfortable with. Though I don't care for any of the other models in anything but 9mm.

jrmymiles
02-14-10, 11:25
Glock all the way. Its hard to go wrong with a G17 or G19.

9mmsteve
02-14-10, 13:01
The Glocks keep reproducing in my safe. I just have to convince the wife that is what is really happening. I am very pleased with my Glocks and especially like the RTF 2 models.

User Name
02-14-10, 13:17
I posted a + for Glock (as I posted above) though to clarify. For me my affection for Glocks is limited to the G19 and 17. I have owned G21, 20, 22 and 23. I find that I prefer to a large degree the Glock chambered in its original 9mm. In the same way I prefer a Hi Power in 9mm and don't care for the .40 Hi Power what so ever. It does not seem that "bullet proof" quality of the G17/ 19 carries over to other calibers. Hopefully the gen 4 G22 will resolve some of the issues folks have had with the previous generation .40's.

HK45
02-14-10, 16:10

I did the same Roger. Love the M&P, touted it to everyone in sight or earshot, then after several years found myself buying a Glock 17 and pretty much switching back to Glock for carry and SD. It's hard to beat the utter simplicity and reliability of a 9mm Glock and I like the trigger better. I use the out of the box trigger and feel no need for anything more. Add better sights, Vickers mag release, extended slide stop and I'm done. Oh, and I have loved the Glock grip angle from day one despite many years of 1911's.

I still have other pistols though and have an entirely unhealthy love for HK's.

cronus5116
02-15-10, 11:45
I found a .45 M&P yesturday that I almost bought I think if I... no when I get it Ill end up carrying both my glock 36 and the M&P, not at the same time of course haha and I think I found a holster for my GSR so Ill add that to the list of carry pistols, but I think Ill always go back to carrying glocks.

rangeruger
03-09-10, 19:36
I find Glocks to be durable, reliable and a lot of bang for the buck.

CyberM4
03-10-10, 09:23
I have not owned a Glock. Never liked the way they fit in my hand. I have 3 HKs that I love. The fit is great. Plus balance. Love the way they shoot.