PDA

View Full Version : Special ops tactical angled gas port.

Heavy-Metal
12-11-18, 11:20
Hey guys, ran a search and haven't found anything. Don't see too many reviews on Google either. Any of you guys seen reviews on spec ops tactical angled gas port barrels? Pretty interesting idea. Here's a link to a article I found. http://www.ar15news.com/2017/07/19/siphon-agp-angled-gas-port-nitride-barrels-special-ops-tactical/

Just wondering if any of you fellas have some first hand experience.

Thanks

Rayrevolver
12-11-18, 12:59
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?170289-Gas-Port-Erosion-of-AR-15-Barrels/page3

LMT does this with the MRP. I have not seen any pictures of an MRP barrel cut up after 10k rounds or anything.

1911-A1
12-11-18, 13:10
We'd just be speculating until someone burns a few down next to standard gassed barrels. Any volunteers?

The "Special Ops Tactical" name makes me want to avoid them on principle alone, but if they've got a good idea, they deserve credit. The design will stand or fail on its own merits.

jackblack73
12-11-18, 18:10
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?170289-Gas-Port-Erosion-of-AR-15-Barrels/page3

LMT does this with the MRP. I have not seen any pictures of an MRP barrel cut up after 10k rounds or anything.

Aren’t the LMT barrels cut in the opposite direction?

gaijin
12-11-18, 18:30
I would expect to see an elongated erosion pattern with an angled gas port, but this is conjecture.
Not sure what the perceived advantage of an angled port is.

Rayrevolver
12-11-18, 20:19
Aren’t the LMT barrels cut in the opposite direction?

My bust. You are correct. And re-reading Dano5326's post, he nails it.

Gas port erosion isn't really a worry, by the time it rears its head you probably shot out your barrel.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/27/ever-wondered-80-100k-rounds-fired-ar-15-barrel/

ViniVidivici
12-12-18, 10:56
Just another gimmick lookin' for a sucker, methinks.

VIP3R 237
12-12-18, 11:27
Didn’t Fulton armory experiment with this in the 80’s? Iirc it had no discernible advantages.

markm
12-12-18, 11:34
Solution searching for a problem. I've been shooting ARs for decades now, and have yet to have port erosion or the angle of the port be the slightest of concern.

If you're shooting ammo that's so bad that it's making your port the failure point..... SHOOT BETTER AMMO.

AAMP84
12-12-18, 13:04
Micromoa used angled gas ports on some of their 12.5" mid and 16" rifle gas barrels. Allowed them to use a smaller port, but these were geared toward race guns. They said that drilling the angled ports was a pain.

Potss
12-12-18, 22:05
Would be nice to see some actual comparative and valid testing instead of a bunch of hyperbolic claims for a change. But that would take time and work and money and a product that actually lived up to the hype. Oh well, maybe some 3rd party will eventually do it for them.

EzGoingKev
11-01-20, 10:04
Bring this thread back to life. Now that some time has gone by has anyone run one of these?

jsbhike
11-01-20, 11:36
Kalashnikovs started out angled, then went 90° at least on the smaller bored ones.

Magsz
11-04-20, 23:50
Kalashnikovs started out angled, then went 90° at least on the smaller bored ones.

Probably to cut costs. Pure speculation there.

lysander
11-05-20, 06:40
A few things:

1) Angled gas ports do reduce the increase in piston pressure caused by gas port erosion. They erode just like any other gas port but the pressure on the other side of the port remains closer to a constant, whereas right angle ports will see an increase in pressure. This is really only of concern to full automatic weapons.

2) AK-47s have an angled gas port due to the way the the gas block is manufactured. The bottom of the block has a boss for the cleaning rod, so they couldn't drill up from the bottom, so the drilled from the gas cylinder opening, which requires the angling of the port. Since they were drilling at an angle, they just drilled through the gas block right into the barrel, as it simplifies hole alignment.*

3) The 5.45mm AKs went to a right angle port because the gas cylinder was required to be longer, and the angle required if they drill though the cylinder opening would have been too shallow, so the gas block was drilled from the bottom at 90 degrees and the cleaning rod boss moved forward.

4) Drilling a hole at an angle to a surface, other than about 0 to 20 degrees off normal, is difficult as the side of the drill hits the work before the point. So, you have to go in with an end mill and cut a flat normal to the drilling direction before drilling. Or, you have a long drill guide.