PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of a simple gun... M16 upper, 6520 barrel with a light...

SethB
11-03-08, 03:04
I'm contemplating purchasing a 6520 barrel and BCG and adding a NDS 604 upper and a DD Lite rail, a 12.5 FSP with a light on the 12 o'clock. I'd use an A2 rear sight aperture, for those that must ask!

The end result will be an iron sighted gun of minimal weight that still has a light.

It will of course be secondary to my 6920, which will one day soon get an Aimpoint Micro.

Am I insane for thinking about an iron sighted gun?

JBnTX
11-03-08, 03:14
Am I insane for thinking about an iron sighted gun?

No. You're more sane than most.

citizensoldier16
11-03-08, 04:38
IMO, everyone should start with iron sights. If one can't shoot accurately and quickly with iron sights, the best most expensive optics in the world won't help.

Besides, I don't remember the 2nd Rangers having Eotechs on D-Day...
Or the 101st having Aimpoints at Bastogne.

SethB
11-03-08, 05:14
Come on, lets not romance the iron sights...

I'm aware that they have limitations. I'm just weighing the pros and the cons.

bootfoot
11-03-08, 06:16
Thanks to Seth B, today won't be a total loss. I had no idea what an "NDS 604 upper" was, so I Googled it. Found this on the website (I'd post the pic, but my innerweb-fu is weak):

New NDS-16A2 lowers with factory engraving.

Lowers are marked on right side with:

"RESTRICTED: CIVILIAN USE ONLY"

Now that's funny.

bootfoot

OldNavyGuy
11-03-08, 08:00
what i got from this thread is this: http://www.retroblackrifle.com/index.html

some really fantastic early AR-15/M16 info

sixboysdad
11-03-08, 09:33
Without romancing the iron sights, I have to say that citizensoldier and JBnTX are right. One thing you can say for iron sights is that you will never have a battery die on them. You should always have them at least for backup, and practice with them, too.

Remember, practice doesn't make perfect - PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect. Maurice Andre, a famous symphonic trumpeter, would play through his entire performance ten times prior to performing it. If he made a mistake on the last note of the tenth time through, he would do it again. Though trumpet playing and firearms are not so similar, the principle of practice is universal.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. Sorry if it sounds preachy. Hopefully, no offense will be taken. I tend to be pedantic and boring.

ARin
11-03-08, 11:00
you wont get any iron sight romance out of me.

Agreed that EVERYONE needs to learn to use their irons. BUT, the question is, what sighting system makes you a faster, more accurate, more efficient fighter...more capable of bringing the fight to your enemy and neutralizing the threat he poses?

If that answer is a RDS....then you need one.

And judging by the amount of RDS i see on top of ARs, i suspect that is the answer for most folks.

theJanitor
11-03-08, 11:21
BUT, the question is, what sighting system makes you a faster, more accurate, more efficient fighter...more capable of bringing the fight to your enemy and neutralizing the threat he poses?

If that answer is a RDS....then you need one.

exactly right. just because you have a bayonet on a rifle, doesn't mean you shouldn't try to use the trigger