PDA

View Full Version : DD is making a bolt action rifle

Adrenaline_6
12-14-18, 08:43
https://youtu.be/wUFum2spGOc

Interesting.

Alex V
12-14-18, 09:25
LaRue has been promising one for a couple years now. Would be funny if DD beats them to market.

Coal Dragger
12-14-18, 14:06
Very interesting.

Was hoping to pick up a KRG SOTIC at the intro pricing but needed that price valid in January when I get my bonus.

KRG ended the sale and then raised the normal price by $1K on top of it. So that’s out.

Let’s see what DD puts out.

markm
12-14-18, 14:25
What size is the gas port? Just kidding. ;)

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-14-18, 14:51
That video is really dark? I really didn't see much. Lot's of options on bolt gun actions out there. I get it though. PRS is hot and ARs have an uncertain market/selling future. Just makes it even more sad that Remington, with the standard for the industry, is doing so badly.

SomeOtherGuy
12-14-18, 14:55
What size is the gas port? Just kidding. ;)

0.4728" for non-magnum calibers.

:cool:

georgeib
12-14-18, 18:10
Can I be the first to say, "Meh!"

Coal Dragger
12-14-18, 20:04
It might end up warranting a “meh” or it might be good. Only time will tell.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-14-18, 20:10
This is nice. The older I get the more I like wheel guns and bolt actions.

Gödel
12-14-18, 21:16
I'm shocked no one has just adapted AR10 parts into bolt or straightpull. It would be cheap and light.

SteyrAUG
12-15-18, 00:31
0.4728" for non-magnum calibers.

:cool:

What if you SBR it?

SomeOtherGuy
12-15-18, 22:57
What if you SBR it?

Same gas port dimension for all barrel lengths, except in magnum calibers.

https://saami.org/technical-information/cartridge-chamber-drawings/

;)

SeriousStudent
12-16-18, 02:10
Moving thread to Precision Rifle - Bolt Gun subforum.

I will be interested to read about the barrel's they will be using.

mark5pt56
12-16-18, 05:54
Very interesting! I just blew my wad on a DD5v2. I wonder if it's going to have a chassis on it? They need to come out swinging with a nice chassis and folder option, maybe make two versions, one light packable one and then a gamer/target one.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-16-18, 06:19
Do we know for sure if they are making the entire barreled action, or just a chassis? I always welcome another chassis to the market as long as it's lighter weight than most and innovative.

Rattler5
12-17-18, 22:30
I think they will likely make a good bolt action rifle that may be priced high enough to price its self out of the market.

thopkins22
12-18-18, 00:49
I think they will likely make a good bolt action rifle that may be priced high enough to price its self out of the market.

I don’t think so. My money is that they will have the RPR in their sights. Maybe more expensive than a Remington 5R but without Remington baggage, and less expensive than having a smith rebarrel a Tikka action and putting it in a chassis.

thopkins22
12-18-18, 00:52
Moving thread to Precision Rifle - Bolt Gun subforum.

I will be interested to read about the barrel's they will be using.

I’d bet $50 that they will be using their own hammer forged barrels just as Sako does on their TRG series.

With guns moving slower, I’m sure they’re trying to keep the thing busy.

Rattler5
12-18-18, 19:10
I don’t think so. My money is that they will have the RPR in their sights. Maybe more expensive than a Remington 5R but without Remington baggage, and less expensive than having a smith rebarrel a Tikka action and putting it in a chassis.

I hope that you are right.

SeriousStudent
12-18-18, 23:14
I’d bet $50 that they will be using their own hammer forged barrels just as Sako does on their TRG series.

With guns moving slower, I’m sure they’re trying to keep the thing busy.

Pretty much what I was thinking. If they use a CHF barrel, and keep the price within range of an RPR as you mentioned, it should be quite interesting.

Vandal
12-21-18, 21:11
Pretty much what I was thinking. If they use a CHF barrel, and keep the price within range of an RPR as you mentioned, it should be quite interesting.

If they do that with a 700 clone bolt and receiver I'll buy one.

Boba Fett v2
12-31-18, 19:42
https://www.recoilweb.com/daniel-defense-delta-5-bolt-action-leaked-by-shot-show-app-144529.html?fbclid=IwAR1BVM5a5SpjEwE8mp8TFWjt0iEnPIdr3YiB7pE0nkkzwKEhTJ1rRWoaJ8g

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Daniel-Defense-Delta-5-670x446.jpg

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/M-LOK-and-Threaded-Barrel-675x380.jpg

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Delta-5-Stock-675x380.jpg

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Delta-5-Action-and-Mag-675x379.jpg

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Daniel-Defense-Delta-5-Closeup-675x450.jpg

non-hallal
12-31-18, 20:19
https://www.recoilweb.com/daniel-defense-delta-5-bolt-action-leaked-by-shot-show-app-144529.html?fbclid=IwAR1BVM5a5SpjEwE8mp8TFWjt0iEnPIdr3YiB7pE0nkkzwKEhTJ1rRWoaJ8g

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Daniel-Defense-Delta-5-670x446.jpg

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/M-LOK-and-Threaded-Barrel-675x380.jpg

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Delta-5-Stock-675x380.jpg

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Delta-5-Action-and-Mag-675x379.jpg

https://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Daniel-Defense-Delta-5-Closeup-675x450.jpg

Looks suspiciously like a Bergara HMR

thopkins22
01-01-19, 14:23
Looks suspiciously like a Bergara HMR

I mean, in that there’s a hook in the stock and similar hardware, beyond that it seems like a stretch to say anything beyond “it looks like a bolt action rifle, which all sort of tend to look alike.”

Personally, I hope it is like the bergara in that 700 accessories work.

I’m also interested in what looks like a barrel nut which could mean user changeable barrels....

officerX
01-21-19, 09:19
Delta 5 (https://delta5.danieldefense.com/?mc_cid=a982fb3126&mc_eid=23c1d976db)

thopkins22
01-21-19, 09:40
Well, I was right about the user changeable barrels and the hammer forgedness.

Price isn’t bad...not a true competitor to the RPR but definitely being sold to the same customers.

Don Quijote
01-21-19, 10:05
Underwhelming and brings nothing new to the table.

thopkins22
01-21-19, 10:09
Underwhelming and brings nothing new to the table.

Where are you getting user changeable barrels that don’t even require gauges at 2K?

At some point it’s a bolt action. There’s nothing “new” to bring to the table. There is only executing it well and price points.

Alex V
01-21-19, 10:20
If it shoots, I think its worth the $2K. I'm interested in real work accuracy once people have it in their hands.

Pappabear
01-21-19, 10:25
Guns America spam email has a decent write up. Interesting gun. Its a really tuff market to enter these days but they put their best foot forward IMHO.

PB

Don Quijote
01-21-19, 10:55
Where are you getting user changeable barrels that don’t even require gauges at 2K?
Oh OK, I missed that they copied the AR15's concept.

That is hardly a remarkable feature unless you can't afford a $50 set of go/no go gauges and can't figure out how to use them.

For $2500 I'd rather buy this, an action wrench, and a barrel vise.. That way when I burn the shouldered barrel I can unscrew it, throw it away, and buy a shoulderless barrel and nut from PVA and still end up with a superior rifle.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/john-hancock-bolt-action-rifle-deposit/

TXBK
01-21-19, 11:30
Oh OK, I missed that they copied the AR15's concept.

That is hardly a remarkable feature unless you can't afford a $50 set of go/no go gauges and can't figure out how to use them.

For $2500 I'd rather buy this, an action wrench, and a barrel vise.. That way when I burn the shouldered barrel I can unscrew it, throw it away, and buy a shoulderless barrel and nut from PVA and still end up with a superior rifle.

https://patriotvalleyarms.com/john-hancock-bolt-action-rifle-deposit/

I’m no bolt action expert, so what makes this superior to the DD rifle?

Tx_Aggie
01-21-19, 12:09
Meh..

I'm not sure who DD is targeting with this rifle, but it's not the precision rifle crowd, at least not those who will do some research before buying.

The $2200 they're listing the rifle for on their website is nearly the same amount of coin that I initially spent on my Bighorn TL3, and I have the option of changing bolt faces and ordering shouldered pre-fit barrels from several smiths without having to send them my action. Plus the TL3 uses Savage barrel threads, so it can also take off the shelf Savage pre-fit barrels if I want to fool with a barrel nut.

There are several smaller manufacturers making entry level precision rifles targeted at the PRS Production class that are as nice or nicer than the DD rifle and are priced at or under $2k. They include Patriot Valley Arms, BadRock Rifles (aka Defiance Machine) and as of last week MasterPiece Arms.

Here's an example of what you can put together yourself using off the shelf parts:

Curtis Axiom Action - $1100
TriggerTech Primary Trigger - $145
KRG Bravo Chassis - $350
Prefit Shouldered Barrel for Axiom by PVA - $525 (cut from a hand lapped, button rifled blank made by Rock Creek)

Total: $2100, less if you catch some of those parts on sale. Figure another $200 if you want the action and barrel ceracoated.

The DD rifle does have their proprietary "carbon fiber reinforced polymer" stock with an integrated mini-chassis, while the Bravo is a chassis system with a full length aluminum backbone and modular front and rear sections (that you can upgrade later). The DD stock is probably nicer if you prefer a traditional stock, but the Bravo is more modular and can be upgraded in to a Whiskey-3 folder down the road if you'd like (and when your budget permits). Or you could spend a little more and drop the Curtis into any other chassis or Carbon Fiber stock made to take a Remington 700 style action.

With the Curtis Axiom you get many of the same specs as the DD: the integral recoil lug, 60 degree bolt throw, 3-lug bolt, Sako-style extractor, and included 20 moa picatinny base. Plus, like the TL3, the Curtis action uses shouldered barrels that are swappable without fooling with a barrel nut, in an action that is machined precisely enough that you can order pre-fits without sending your action to a smith to be measured. The TriggerTech is probably better than the DD trigger (certainly at least as good).

I haven't seen if DD has specified if their action is a Rem 700 footprint or something proprietary. If it uses a proprietary stock inlet that's another knock against it.

If DD is trying to bill their stock w mini-chassis and included bottom metal as an equivalent to a Manners, the price makes more sense (and might be argued to be a value), but I see that being a hard sell.

No doubt they'll sell plenty of rifles regardless.

Don Quijote
01-21-19, 12:15
I’m no bolt action expert, so what makes this superior to the DD rifle?

Everything that you can't see externally.

Plus the fact that you can buy barrels from just about anyone while with the DD you're stuck with whatever barrels DD decides to make. I doubt DD's barrel concept will be picked up by aftermarket barrel makers but I could be wrong.

Time will tell

Jwknutson17
01-21-19, 13:09
Meh..

I'm not sure who DD is targeting with this rifle, but it's not the precision rifle crowd, at least those who will do some research before buying.

The $2200 they're listing the rifle for on their website is nearly the same amount of coin that I initially spent on my Bighorn TL3, and I have to option of changing bolt faces and ordering shouldered pre-fit barrels from several smiths without having to send them my action. Plus the TL3 uses Savage barrel threads, so it can also take off the shelf Savage pre-fit barrels if I want to fool with a barrel nut.

There are several smaller manufacturers making entry level precision rifles targeted at the PRS Production class that are as nice or nicer than the DD rifle and are priced at or under $2k. They include Patriot Valley Arms, BadRock Rifles (aka Defiance Machine) and as of last week MasterPiece Arms.

Here's an example of what you can put together yourself using off the shelf parts:

Curtis Axiom Action - $1100
TriggerTech Primary Trigger - $145
KRG Bravo Chassis - $350
Prefit Shouldered Barrel for Axiom by PVA - $525 (cut from a hand lapped, button rifled blank made by Rock Creek)

Total: $2100, less if you catch some of those parts on sale. Figure another $200 if you want the action and barrel ceracoated.

The DD rifle does have their proprietary "carbon fiber reinforced polymer" stock with an integrated mini-chassis, while the Bravo is a chassis system with a full length aluminum backbone and modular front and rear sections (that you can upgrade later). The DD stock is probably nicer if you prefer a traditional stock, but the Bravo is more modular and can be upgraded in to a Whiskey-3 folder down the road if you'd like (and when your budget permits). Or you could spend a little more and drop the Curtis into any other chassis or Carbon Fiber stock made to take a Remington 700 style action.

With the Curtis Axiom you get many of the same specs as the DD: the integral recoil lug, 60 degree bolt throw, 3-lug bolt, Sako-style extractor, and included 20 moa picatinny base. Plus, like the TL3, the Curtis action uses shouldered barrels that are swappable without fooling with a barrel nut, in an action that is machined precisely enough that you can order pre-fits without sending your action to a smith to be measured. The TriggerTech is probably better than the DD trigger (certainly at least as good).

I haven't seen if DD has specified if their action is a Rem 700 footprint or something proprietary. If it uses a proprietary stock inlet that's another knock against it.

If DD is trying to bill their stock w mini-chassis and included bottom metal as an equivalent to a Manners, the price makes more sense (and might be argued to be a value), but I see that being a hard sell.

No doubt they'll sell plenty of rifles regardless.

Good points here. I don't think many target guys will be all over this. Not really sure who this is geared towards... Hunting crowd?

The rifles you mentioned from PVA and also MPA would get my business if I was in the market for an entry level target/prs gun, before this DD at this same price point. I'm not, but their bolt gun quality is known. The DD isn't yet.

They are probably just looking to take some of the Rem 700 business and use their name to do so. This wont be a Accuracy International, or Cadex, or DT, or TRG, etc, etc. Should be a lower end 1moa durable hunting rifle with some features. Nothing new here at all. If you want a great rifle, contact GAP, Mile High, SAC, PVA, Gradous, LRI, and the list goes on and on. Hard pass for me here on the DD.

But like what mentioned above, time will tell. Everyone has to start somewhere..

Adding in that it's good for the industry to have new folks come in with new ideas and push the envelope. DD just has really stiff competition even if it's just a hunting rifle.

Slater
01-21-19, 13:37
Wonder if they'll generate any Military/LE sales?

Pappabear
01-21-19, 15:20
Good points here. I don't think many target guys will be all over this. Not really sure who this is geared towards... Hunting crowd?

The rifles you mentioned from PVA and also MPA would get my business if I was in the market for an entry level target/prs gun, before this DD at this same price point. I'm not, but their bolt gun quality is known. The DD isn't yet.

They are probably just looking to take some of the Rem 700 business and use their name to do so. This wont be a Accuracy International, or Cadex, or DT, or TRG, etc, etc. Should be a lower end 1moa durable hunting rifle with some features. Nothing new here at all. If you want a great rifle, contact GAP, Mile High, SAC, PVA, Gradous, LRI, and the list goes on and on. Hard pass for me here on the DD.

But like what mentioned above, time will tell. Everyone has to start somewhere..

Adding in that it's good for the industry to have new folks come in with new ideas and push the envelope. DD just has really stiff competition even if it's just a hunting rifle.

No business is going to make a new bolt gun and blow everyone out of the water on their first gun. Just not going to happen, but like Jake said, they gotta start somewhere. If I were buying a new gun it would be a Bergara, and if John Doe was buying, it would be plenty of DD fan boys. My guess, they have enough goodwill to carry them for a decent launch. They have earned it IMHO?

Always good to have new competition. I hope someone buys one and we get orange report. This thread has taught me about several makers I have never heard before, so thank you DD.

PB

Slater
01-21-19, 18:00
Looking towards an uncertain future, if there's ever a general ban on AR's they need something to fall back on.

Don Quijote
01-21-19, 19:59
No business is going to make a new bolt gun and blow everyone out of the water on their first gun.
Ruger did it with the RPR. Unlike what most seem to think, it wasn't slapping a common bolt gun in a chassis, nor is it a bolt action AR1 5.

The RPR has more in common with the TUBB 2000 than any other rifle out there. And the TUBB 2000 was revolutionary over 18 years ago.

This Daniel Defense effort is nowhere near close

Tx_Aggie
01-21-19, 20:44
I found a review that sheds a little more light on the rifle's specs, and I was wrong about a few things.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/delta-5-daniel-defense-review/

The rifle uses a floating bolt head that is interchangeable, so there is a possibility that DD may release different sized bolt faces in the future. The rifle also ships with a Timney Elite Hunter trigger, which retails for $150 and is closer to the TriggerTech than I was giving it credit for.

It sounds like they will also be selling the barrel extensions separately so buyers will be able to have a gunsmith set up custom barrels for their rifle if they like. I do think the review makes too much of the switch barrel capability of the rifle, as it's no where near the convenience of the AI the author compares it to (though also not the price of one).

Jake and Pappabear make some good points. It does seem like DD made an effort to look at current trends in higher end bolt action market, and they did a pretty decent job of putting together an action that checks a lot of boxes. To someone who isn't up to date on the current state of the art this rifle will likely look pretty revolutionary. It certainly has rifles like the premium Bergara models beat in terms of features.

My main point was that I think it's hitting the wrong price point to appeal to the precision rifle/PRS crowd, and at 8.9-9.5 lbs is too heavy to really appeal to a lot of serious hunters.

Still, I'm sure they will sell a ton of them based on their reputation for building quality ARs and the rifle's feature set. And I'm sure it's a quality rifle, and likely accurate.

I also think it's neat that they're offering a 7mm-08, and the lack of a 6mm Creed does suggest they're not really chasing the PRS shooter as a customer.

If I could buy one of these for closer to $1500-1600 I would be tempted to give one a shot.

Coal Dragger
01-21-19, 21:14
It’s a $1600 rifle, $2100 is a hard pass from me.

C-grunt
01-21-19, 21:53
The fact that DD website lists rifles at 300-400 dollars over what im seeing them in store, I'm betting this rifle will be closer to 1800-1900 street price after the initial hype.

Tx_Aggie
01-21-19, 22:07
The fact that DD website lists rifles at 300-400 dollars over what im seeing them in store, I'm betting this rifle will be closer to 1800-1900 street price after the initial hype.

Great point.

Coal Dragger
01-22-19, 00:14
Still a bit too much at that price point.

TXBK
01-22-19, 07:45
I appreciate the detailed responses. This thread will be a good resource for research. I haven’t gotten serious about sourcing a LR/PRS, but now I realize that there is more that I don’t know than I thought.

I originally had a Bergara or Ruger as my starting point and that would put DD’s rifle right there in comparison, but it sounds like one can get quite a bit more rifle for not much more money. I already knew that I wasn’t taking the Remmy 700 route.

DD will sale plenty of these, based off of their name alone, and I hope they do. So, there should be plenty of performance data available. Now, it just depends upon how quickly they are ready to get them out.

mark5pt56
01-22-19, 19:56
Better off finding a used AIAT for 32-3400-think long term.

Pappabear
01-22-19, 23:59
Better off finding a used AIAT for 32-3400-think long term.

Ever worry you guys buying a gun $3K plus and the barrel shot to shit?

PB

mark5pt56
01-24-19, 05:17
Just have to know the round count, usually see the .308's with no more than 1-2k if that. Last 6.5 I saw had 800.

Don Quijote
01-24-19, 07:59
Ever worry you guys buying a gun $3K plus and the barrel shot to shit?

PB

Rip it off and spin on a new one. Barrels are consumables.

Pappabear
01-24-19, 08:05
Just have to know the round count, usually see the .308's with no more than 1-2k if that. Last 6.5 I saw had 800.

Yes you do, and most peeps buy their guns more than they shoot them.

wolffie
01-24-19, 20:23
it looks like a pretty slick rifle. And DD is probably going to sell a ton of them to AR guys with a minor interest in shooting long range of precision who recognize the name. In terms of market share. I think they’re probably going to pick off LE sales of rifles like the FN SPR series. They no doubt have enough connections in LE circles that they if they shoot, they will start to show up in LE sharp shooters hands.

Price wise, my Defiance Deviant, manners T4 with adjustable comb and buttplate, Bartlein barrel, and Bix N’Andy is more than double that. Even before you add on spuhr Mount and Kahles 6-24, and TBAC Ultra...

Coal Dragger
01-24-19, 22:03
Saw some more photos. Those bastards at DD are leaving the external hammer forging marks on the barrel exterior, just like Steyr does.

They know how sexy that is. They’re intentionally preying upon my fascination with the appearance of Steyr barrels.

Alex V
01-27-19, 10:35
Last I saw it was getting panned pretty badly on Snipers Hide... along with us.

thopkins22
01-27-19, 11:38
Last I saw it was getting panned pretty badly on Snipers Hide... along with us.

I mean not really. The ratio of people saying, “I don’t know, there are some interesting features, and there’s nothing really available to actually shoot this down over, other than everyone assuming it will barely shoot 1 minute” to folks saying “it’s dumb and for people that don’t know anything other than Daniel Defense means it must be good” seems to be about the same.

I saw one dude lash out across forums. It was mighty gay of him specifically, and I’m not aware of anyone that gives a damn...of a lot of folks that are on both boards.

Coal Dragger
01-27-19, 13:15
I’ve read a handful of published tests that have given group sizes and they look promising, but for all we know they’re handing out pre-selected rifles and barrels that they know for a fact shoot well before they leave the factory.

I’m not going to shit on this rifle or rush out and buy one either. There are some neat features like the floating bolt head, and headspaced barrels with a barrel extension. How all of it works together on actual production rifles remains to be seen, and others can beta test it.

I have no reason to question the ability of cold hammer forged barrels to shoot well, I have two DD CHF barrels in 5.56mm and both are plenty capable of running Black Hills 77gr MK262 into .5-.75 MOA, sometimes less. Tikka and SAKO both use CHF barrels and are well known for an accurate barrel. Same for Steyr.

That said if DD wants to help themselves out a bit they might consider releasing the barrel extensions to some custom barrel makers so customers have a choice about different calibers, and barrel specifications.

I’m not fond of how the stock looks, but that is subjective.

I hope the trigger is compatible with other Remington 700 style triggers, because I prefer a two stage trigger and the included Timney would probably not stay if I were to buy one of these.

Eurodriver
01-27-19, 15:27
Yes you do, and most peeps buy their guns more than they shoot them.

+1+1+1+1+1

Coal Dragger
01-27-19, 16:13
Yep we need a like button because Pappabear is spot on.

I’m in the market for a 6.5mm since my local range has an 800 yard line with steel, and I enjoy shooting bolt guns a lot. So I look forward to more reports on this DD stick.

artoter
01-27-19, 16:36
Pricey stuff right there. :p

Pappabear
03-08-19, 09:07
I got my hands on one of these rifles at LGS. My impression was its a quality rig. The barrel exchange thing looks pretty cool and very simple exchange. It will be interesting what they charge for an extra barrel so you can change your 308 to 6.5 quickly.

Gun was very center heavy in 308 with 20 inch barrel but I never mind a heavy gun, but for weight guys, nope. The action looked and felt like it was built very solid which may in part be due to the quick change barrel thing. Stock was a little different but what the picture shows. Action was smooth but nothing out of the ordinary.

It was street priced at $1,900. Kinda pricy for most new gun buyers but might do well for govt contracts with the barrel deal. And felt like it would go through hell and back and be good.

Im sure it will shoot lights out but what doesn't these days. With Tikka, Bergara ..... selling guns for less and performing well, it will be a tuff road to hoe.

PB

Eurodriver
03-08-19, 12:11
I got my hands on one of these rifles at LGS. My impression was its a quality rig. The barrel exchange thing looks pretty cool and very simple exchange. It will be interesting what they charge for an extra barrel so you can change your 308 to 6.5 quickly.

Gun was very center heavy in 308 with 20 inch barrel but I never mind a heavy gun, but for weight guys, nope. The action looked and felt like it was built very solid which may in part be due to the quick change barrel thing. Stock was a little different but what the picture shows. Action was smooth but nothing out of the ordinary.

It was street priced at $1,900. Kinda pricy for most new gun buyers but might do well for govt contracts with the barrel deal. And felt like it would go through hell and back and be good.

Im sure it will shoot lights out but what doesn't these days. With Tikka, Bergara ..... selling guns for less and performing well, it will be a tuff road to hoe.

PB

Thanks bro

Coal Dragger
03-13-19, 03:25
Thanks.

Any word on trigger compatibility on this action? Curious if it accepts the plethora of Rem 700 style triggers, I like a 2 stage trigger and the new Geissele unit for Rem 700’s might be a slick addition to the DD.

Or maybe I should just buy a Tikka T3x Tac A1.

chef8489
03-13-19, 06:19
Yes it is a rem 700 drop in.

https://youtu.be/BCyhSIVRAWo

Pappabear
03-13-19, 09:59
Thanks.

Any word on trigger compatibility on this action? Curious if it accepts the plethora of Rem 700 style triggers, I like a 2 stage trigger and the new Geissele unit for Rem 700’s might be a slick addition to the DD.

as chef showed, but the trigger was pretty good.

PB

Coal Dragger
03-13-19, 15:18
Thanks chef.

Guess my Google skills are weak as hell...

Marler5811
03-14-19, 16:24
Thanks.

The trigger that comes in the Delta 5 is a Timney Elite Hunter. Single Stage Preset by Timney at 3.5lbs but fully adjustable from 1.5-4.5lbs. The rifle will accept any Rem700 Pattern Trigger.

Marler5811
03-14-19, 16:30
Just got my demo gun a couple days ago. This is the 20" .308 w/ our DD WAVE Suppressor. Glass is the Kahles K525i.

Coal Dragger
03-14-19, 18:39
The trigger that comes in the Delta 5 is a Timney Elite Hunter. Single Stage Preset by Timney at 3.5lbs but fully adjustable from 1.5-4.5lbs. The rifle will accept any Rem700 Pattern Trigger.

Thanks for the info.

Coal Dragger
03-22-19, 18:01
At this point I’m kind of leaning towards maybe being an early adopter of this in a 6.5mm when they become available. After reading reviews and watching videos I’m intrigued by the feature set and user service/caliber change ability ability.

The 800 yard line steel gongs at my local range are begging to ring. I don’t want to let them down.

Pappabear
03-22-19, 18:37
At this point I’m kind of leaning towards maybe being an early adopter of this in a 6.5mm when they become available. After reading reviews and watching videos I’m intrigued by the feature set and user service/caliber change ability ability.

The 800 yard line steel gongs at my local range are begging to ring. I don’t want to let them down.

Coal, you have my full support to slam that 800 dinger and give us a range report. The thing is built like a tank. They really should make a dual barrel option so you can buy both barrels 308/ 6.5 and get a big discount on second barrel. Make the gun uniquely desirable.

PB

Coal Dragger
03-22-19, 20:23
Actually I’d rather see them maybe hurry up and develop a few different bolt heads, magazines, and barrels.

A combo of 5.56/.223, 6.5 Creed, and a short magnum like the 6.5 PRC would be interesting, maybe a .300 WSM or 7mm WSM for dudes that want to hunt with it.

All in due time, but a 3 caliber or 2 caliber combo deal would be cool.

I’m looking forward to laying my hands on one to check it out, but I’m a happy DD owner and have had good results with their CHF barrels.

Hoping factory barrels are reasonable, if they follow the value for dollar of the DD AR barrels then I am optimistic they will have a winner on their hands.

Marler5811
04-04-19, 10:02
LE Agency Provided photo. Delta 5 .308 (20"), Nightforce 3-15x, Hornady 168 Gr A-MAX loaded by Black Hills.

VIP3R 237
07-22-19, 15:10
Joe, any plans for a lefty version? Seriously thinking of upgrading from a Bergara to one.

non-hallal
08-01-19, 14:04
Looks like these are taking off. What is the street price running? Around 2 grand?

SomeOtherGuy
08-01-19, 14:42
What's your source for saying these are "taking off"? Not disagreeing, just haven't seen that claim elsewhere.

Eurooptic had a fairly good price on these recently, I think it was around $1750 for the .308 and slightly more for other calibers. Just looked it up and now it's at $1599:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Daniel-Defense-DELTA-5-308-Win-Bolt-Action-20-Rifle-42-159-07265.aspx

I have no affiliation with Eurooptic, just an FYI of market price.

After reading reviews and discussion at Sniper's Hide, it seems many people think this is a very good rifle, but not as appealing to civilian precision shooters (i.e. hobbyists like me, even if they take the hobby seriously) because it's not inexpensive relative to the overall package, and the barrel interface appears to be entirely proprietary and not yet supported by the various high-end aftermarket barrel makers. I'm sure Joe can correct me if I'm wrong on that last part. At EO's current price it looks like a good value if you have no desire to customize it, and will be happy to replace with only DD factory barrels once you wear out your first one. That would be a good fit for many LE agencies and professional users, but not as good a fit for typical hobbyist-competitor type users.

At the original MSRP this was competing against true custom rifles and not far below some established high-end factory rifles like Barrett. If market price is now around $1600 then it's competing with a lot of more ordinary rifles including the factory chassis-type rifles from Ruger, Tikka, and Bergara. Its engineering looks better than any of those, but those all benefit from huge aftermarket support and tons of barrel options including easy DIY prefit barrels. I'm sure the DD barrels are well made but just like with ARs and many other things, private users like to customize.

If one or two aftermarket barrel makers offered prefits for this, even if their barrels were not any better or lower priced than DD factory barrels, simply having more choices would likely motivate people to buy these.

non-hallal
08-01-19, 15:07
What's your source for saying these are "taking off"? Not disagreeing, just haven't seen that claim elsewhere.

Eurooptic had a fairly good price on these recently, I think it was around $1750 for the .308 and slightly more for other calibers. Just looked it up and now it's at $1599:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Daniel-Defense-DELTA-5-308-Win-Bolt-Action-20-Rifle-42-159-07265.aspx

I have no affiliation with Eurooptic, just an FYI of market price.

After reading reviews and discussion at Sniper's Hide, it seems many people think this is a very good rifle, but not as appealing to civilian precision shooters (i.e. hobbyists like me, even if they take the hobby seriously) because it's not inexpensive relative to the overall package, and the barrel interface appears to be entirely proprietary and not yet supported by the various high-end aftermarket barrel makers. I'm sure Joe can correct me if I'm wrong on that last part. At EO's current price it looks like a good value if you have no desire to customize it, and will be happy to replace with only DD factory barrels once you wear out your first one. That would be a good fit for many LE agencies and professional users, but not as good a fit for typical hobbyist-competitor type users.

At the original MSRP this was competing against true custom rifles and not far below some established high-end factory rifles like Barrett. If market price is now around $1600 then it's competing with a lot of more ordinary rifles including the factory chassis-type rifles from Ruger, Tikka, and Bergara. Its engineering looks better than any of those, but those all benefit from huge aftermarket support and tons of barrel options including easy DIY prefit barrels. I'm sure the DD barrels are well made but just like with ARs and many other things, private users like to customize.

If one or two aftermarket barrel makers offered prefits for this, even if their barrels were not any better or lower priced than DD factory barrels, simply having more choices would likely motivate people to buy these.

Probably not a good source but this thread seems like it has exploded.... They look neat and at 1600 not terribly out of line still high though.

Marler5811
08-06-19, 16:00
Joe, any plans for a lefty version? Seriously thinking of upgrading from a Bergara to one.

No plans for a left handed version at this time. I'm also left handed. Not sure I'd know what to do with a Left Handed Bolt!

Marler5811
08-06-19, 16:27
All,

Thank you very much for all of your comments and feedback. Trust me, we're listening to what you have to say.

We know we're competing in a completely different market since launching the Delta 5. It's an awesome market with lots of really solid manufacturers and we're glad to finally have something to offer of our own. We hope that as the Delta 5 matures, we can take the feedback from customers to make it even better. We're also hopeful that aftermarket components (barrels/stocks/chassis) will be be offered later on down the road. I know the interest is there, but I'm not spilling the beans until something actually comes to fruition.

I really like our Delta 5 and have enjoyed shooting it and letting customers shoot it. If you're LE and your agency wants to take one for a test drive, hit me up. My email address is in my signature. I have no problem sending one out for a period of time. If anyone has questions on the technical specifications, ammo it likes, etc., just ask me. If I don't know the answer, I'll walk downstairs and ask the design engineers.

S/F,
Joe

Pappabear
08-06-19, 20:51
Probably not a good source but this thread seems like it has exploded.... They look neat and at 1600 not terribly out of line still high though.but not as appealing to civilian precision shooters

I disagree, I think at that price it appeals to me, a civilian shooter that recently bought a Bergara LRP (one of their more expensive models) and multiple custom guns with Kreigers etc... And I have no problem with DD or LMT having real easy to instal barrels that maybe cost a few dollars more but don't need a gunsmith to instal. In that situation a few dollars more isn't a few dollars more. $1,600 for a solid gun with quick change barrel, not too bad. At $2k plus its no go.

PB

Coal Dragger
08-17-19, 02:57
Finally laid hands on one at Cabela's. They wanted $2099.99 for it. I can see it for $1500-$1600 but in no way do I consider the Delta 5 to be a $2K rifle based on my limited handling of it. The bolt is not particularly smooth in the bold raceway, the stock is very "meh" from what I could tell. Didn't get a chance to dry fire it because Bass Pro/Cabela's policy nonsense. At just under $2K I can also find a Seekins Precision Havak Bravo in my choice of caliber with a Rock cut rifled barrel, handled one of those the other day and that is a bargain at under $2K in my estimation even though the KRG Bravo stock is KRG's entry level model.

Plus to my understanding of PRS rules the MSRP over $2K of the Delta 5 would push me out of production class if I was competing, and that is a total no-go.

maximus83
08-17-19, 11:00
Finally laid hands on one at Cabela's. They wanted $2099.99 for it. I can see it for $1500-$1600 but in no way do I consider the Delta 5 to be a $2K rifle based on my limited handling of it. The bolt is not particularly smooth in the bold raceway, the stock is very "meh" from what I could tell. Didn't get a chance to dry fire it because Bass Pro/Cabela's policy nonsense. At just under $2K I can also find a Seekins Precision Havak Bravo in my choice of caliber with a Rock cut rifled barrel, handled one of those the other day and that is a bargain at under $2K in my estimation even though the KRG Bravo stock is KRG's entry level model.

Plus to my understanding of PRS rules the MSRP over $2K of the Delta 5 would push me out of production class if I was competing, and that is a total no-go.

The bolt design, in concept at least (I've not handled), is very good and updated to what a lot of the latest/best custom actions are doing:
* 3-lug bolt
* 60 degree bolt throw
* Floating head design

Those are features worth having--if well executed. ETA, this is a very thoughtfully designed rifle, if it turns out to actually be well built with quality components, it could be a very good buy at this price point. I have no connection with DD and would not buy one myself, I'm actually irritated that they didn't produce a LH action. That said, it could be a great rifle.

maximus83
08-17-19, 11:02
No plans for a left handed version at this time. I'm also left handed. Not sure I'd know what to do with a Left Handed Bolt!

Not being snarky, honest, but I'm a LH shooter and am absolutely hard core, I will not buy a rifle from a company that does not release a LH rifle. I know all the 'you can run a RH bolt left-handed just as fast' arguments, and did it for years, it really doesn't work. Companies that want to get serious in the bolt action market should produce a LH rifle or in the case of combat rifles, ambi features like you guys are doing now on your .308 and 6.5 CM offerings (which is great, btw).

Coal Dragger
08-17-19, 12:34
The bolt design, in concept at least (I've not handled), is very good and updated to what a lot of the latest/best custom actions are doing:
* 3-lug bolt
* 60 degree bolt throw
* Floating head design

Those are features worth having--if well executed. ETA, this is a very thoughtfully designed rifle, if it turns out to actually be well built with quality components, it could be a very good buy at this price point. I have no connection with DD and would not buy one myself, I'm actually irritated that they didn't produce a LH action. That said, it could be a great rifle.

I understand the bolt design, and the advantages of it. I will point out that some of those same features can be found in competing products at lower costs.

This far in the mid price range (to me) of precision rifles I have been able to physically inspect I would rate the Delta 5 solidly mid pack, with a price that is a bit too much to make it a good value. Plus if a guy wants to shoot PRS, the Delta 5 is too expensive for production division and will most likely not be competitive in the classes with even pricier rigs.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-31-19, 16:57
I played with one at Clyde’s. If seemed like a quality gun, with a BUNCH of nice features well executed. They wanted 1999 or something like that and that is a bit much IMHO. I did like it a lot so I am considering buying one from eurooptic for 1599

maximus83
08-31-19, 20:53
I played with one at Clyde’s. If seemed like a quality gun, with a BUNCH of nice features well executed. They wanted 1999 or something like that and that is a bit much IMHO. I did like it a lot so I am considering buying one from eurooptic for 1599

If looking for a precision bolt gun, I'd definitely also check out the Bergara premier series rifles that also have floating head bolt designs, have a stellar reputation for accuracy and a longer track record than the DD (since bolt guns are their main business), and are available in the same price range or better if you check GB.

Especially the Ridgeback (https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/premier/ridgeback-rifle/)and HMR Pro (https://www.bergara.online/us/rifles/premier/hmr-pro-rifle/) models. I know 7 shooters than own one or the other of these rifles, all are thrilled with accuracy and quality for the $$$, and you can similarly find tons of positive reviews for these on the Hide. Definitely give them a look and do a side-by-side compare with the DD, including user reviews. If I was a RH shooter and wanted a precision rifle in the $1k-$2K range without going custom, I can say for sure I'd either be on the Tikka Tac A1, or one of these, ahead of the DD.

Tx_Aggie
08-31-19, 21:59

$1599 seems like a fair price, especially considering the feature set. If DD releases replacement barrels at a reasonable price it'll be even more tempting.

Marler5811
09-06-19, 19:08
If DD releases replacement barrels at a reasonable price it'll be even more tempting.

Stay tuned.

Tx_Aggie
09-06-19, 22:56
Stay tuned.

:dance3:

MadAngler1
09-07-19, 09:27
Some more stock choices would be great in different colors, maybe carbon fiber

Marler5811
09-16-19, 14:14
Some more stock choices would be great in different colors, maybe carbon fiber

When we set out to design and build a bolt action rifle, we knew we'd be building a family of firearms...not just one.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-10-19, 01:56
Literally just bought one of these today for $1500. AAAAAAND it's recalled. I may just see if I can return it for a Bergara...

SomeOtherGuy
10-10-19, 08:10
Literally just bought one of these today for $1500. AAAAAAND it's recalled. I may just see if I can return it for a Bergara...

Since you didn't post a link to a story or DD's website, here goes:

https://danieldefense.com/safety/delta-fpcp

Looks like DD is handling this as well as they could.

morbidbattlecry
10-10-19, 19:59
How does one mess up a bolt action rifle?

Kenneth
10-10-19, 20:09

Ask Savage they have been doing it for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegademiC
10-10-19, 20:42

Remington could also tell you.

It happens- hopefully this is behind them quickly.

Tx_Aggie
10-10-19, 20:51
It seems like it should be a relatively quick fix after reading the DD recall notice.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-10-19, 21:49
I'm not gonna wait for them to figure out how a brand new gun should work, and I'm not gonna gamble on turn around times. I'll get something else that works out of the box.

Pi3
10-25-19, 12:13
I was looking at DD ARs at the LGS the other day and stumbled across this for around $1,800. I am shooting rifles LH and would get a RH bolt at this point. It would end up gong to RH relatives later on.
I liked it, but would probably get a Tikka of some kind if I was going to spend that much.
I wish DD the best with this and am curious to see how it shakes out as other options become available and we see how well it holds up with hard use.

toyocruiser
10-25-19, 14:51

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappabear
11-29-19, 18:09
Ruger did it with the RPR. Unlike what most seem to think, it wasn't slapping a common bolt gun in a chassis, nor is it a bolt action AR1 5.

The RPR has more in common with the TUBB 2000 than any other rifle out there. And the TUBB 2000 was revolutionary over 18 years ago.

This Daniel Defense effort is nowhere near close

They didn't blow everybody out of the water, but they did sell a lot of guns at a fair price. I bought one for shits and giggles. But its my least favorite bolt gun I own.

I think they built that gun in hopes of military sales. Quick change barrels screams Military contract, to me at least.

PB

mark5pt56
11-30-19, 05:49
I think the engineers had a 1995 calendar glued to the wall. Looking at the market, and they put out this?