PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92A1

Slater
12-15-18, 12:05
This 92 variant doesn't seem to get a lot of press. To anyone that owns one, is it that much of a step up from a basic 92/M9?

RHINOWSO
12-15-18, 15:24
I prefer the 92A1, they are Italian made, dovetailed front and rear sights, plus the rounded trigger guard and rail. I dropped some more $$$ into mine for a LTT trigger kit and the G-conversion.

Mine is one of my very few range / fun pistols - not that it is unsuited for carry (other than being large) or a house gun, but I just use Glocks for that.

davidjinks
12-15-18, 16:24
Huge step up IMHO.

I’ve owned/own multiple copies of the 92A1 and 96A1. Once I bought my first one all of my other Berettas went away.

I’ll double what RHINO said. Rounded trigger guard, rail, sights and Italian made.

This 92 variant doesn't seem to get a lot of press. To anyone that owns one, is it that much of a step up from a basic 92/M9?

Firefly
12-15-18, 17:04
This might elicit more 'Dat Firefly boy on acid again", but I kinda like the squared trigger guard. The ring trigger guard looks nice but I just think the square one seems better. Still, had I not stumbled upon my Vertec and were LTTs not a thing; I'd look hard at a 92A1

Slater
12-15-18, 17:15
Isn't the 92A1 slide slightly heavier than a standard 92 slide?

artoter
12-15-18, 18:54
I have a 92FS, and the M9, and the slides don't look that different to me.

Sam
12-15-18, 20:02
Isn't the 92A1 slide slightly heavier than a standard 92 slide?

You're thinking of the Brigadier slide.

Rattler5
12-16-18, 01:37
I put about 50 rnds through one last month while comparing it to a Sig P226 (same 50 rnds fired) and I would have given them both an A (A-F range) for performance (even though my experience is extremely limited with them. Maybe 100 rnds total with beretta 92s). I shot the 92A1 a little bit better. Might be getting one sometime in the future.

I would say get one. Do it! :cool:

And if you can afford it... Get a Sig P226 with it.

BrigandTwoFour
12-16-18, 14:18
I’ve had one for eight-ish years. Competed with it for a long time and used it in a few courses.

I think I’m somewhere around 10k to 12k rounds and an untold number of dry fires. The only work I’ve done is swapping a “D” spring early on. It’s never had a single malfunction of any kind.

It’s been a fantastic pistol. The biggest drawback I’ve had all that time was a lack of holsters for it, but that problem seems to have gotten a lot better in the last few years with many boutique holster makers popping up.

Do you have any particular plans for it?

Slater
12-16-18, 14:28
Probably a range gun with a possible HD function.

Nightstalker865
12-16-18, 15:18
Have you considered the M9A1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrigandTwoFour
12-16-18, 16:50
Probably a range gun with a possible HD function.

It will do very well with both of those roles. A TLR-1 looks like it was practically made for it.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/img_0283.jpg

If you aren't much of a tinkerer, the M9A1 might be a better option from an aftermarket standpoint. More holster options in particular. But the 92A1 is easier to mod over time since it has the dovetailed front sight.

Slater
12-16-18, 17:08
Have you considered the M9A1?

Is it more better?

BrigandTwoFour
12-18-18, 07:32
Is it more better?

Objectively, the 92A1 is probably the better pistol. It's taken a lot of the improvements Beretta has made to the system over the years and incorporated them. The M9A1 is built to government specification standards. That's not to say that it's bad by any means, it's just incorporating all of the latest stuff.

The tradeoff is that the M9A1 is a government spec item. That means more aftermarket support for things like holsters at the big companies. The 92A1 is very limited in that regard.

If it's mostly a range and HD gun, I'd say go with the 92A1. Swap in a 'D' spring and shoot it for a while. Send it off to Wilson or Allegheny Arms when you want it worked over.

ramairthree
12-18-18, 16:42
The 92/96 line was very dated.

Updates including making the grip smaller (vertec),
Incorporating a rail (vertec, 92G SD)
Eliminating the safety function for decocker one, (g version)
Addressing perceived slide durability (brigadier)
Addressing changeable front sights (brigadier, vertec)
Better checkering, etc.

Anyways, for an “update”, instead of of the above,
They made a revamped 90-two, a confusing name for an updated nobody asked for. It had a slippery grip with poor small plastic area of retention, a rail with cool looking cover, and cool updated looks. It also had an updated recoil system, making for upper.lower incompatibility issues with the parent line. It was a failure and laughed off the market. People wanted a Beretta with functional updates, not to look trendy. A lesson they failed to learn with at least one other failed pistol line.

To recoup these losses, they kept the recoil system, and brought the 96A1 to market. Because a metal DA/SA gun in 40 at a time everyone was going to strikers and 40 was fading seemed like a great plan. They used a design just different enough to screw up some holster compatibilities and it also had the upper/lower incompatibility issues as the 90-two.

Theynfollowed this failure by bringing it to market in the 92A1 9mm version.

HKGuns
12-18-18, 17:08
This might elicit more 'Dat Firefly boy on acid again", but I kinda like the squared trigger guard. The ring trigger guard looks nice but I just think the square one seems better. Still, had I not stumbled upon my Vertec and were LTTs not a thing; I'd look hard at a 92A1

I like it too.

BH321
12-20-18, 20:22
Have you considered the M9A3? The presence of the threaded barrel may be a plus or a minus for you, but having shot both it and my issued M9 I can say that the M9A3 completely blows my M9 away. It comes stock with a the D spring making the double action trigger pull roughly 8.5 pounds and is one of the smoothest I have ever felt out of a factory mass produced pistol. Additionally it comes with dovetailed factory night sights, a rail, thinner Vertec style grip (there is a rubber grip module included that makes it M9 sized), includes 3 magazines, and the redesigned safety makes it extremely difficult to accidentally place the pistol on safety when racking the slide.

Slater
12-20-18, 20:27
Have you considered the M9A3? The presence of the threaded barrel may be a plus or a minus for you, but having shot both it and my issued M9 I can say that the M9A3 completely blows my M9 away. It comes stock with a the D spring making the double action trigger pull roughly 8.5 pounds and is one of the smoothest I have ever felt out of a factory mass produced pistol. Additionally it comes with dovetailed factory night sights, a rail, thinner Vertec style grip (there is a rubber grip module included that makes it M9 sized), includes 3 magazines, and the redesigned safety makes it extremely difficult to accidentally place the pistol on safety when racking the slide.

Possibly at some future point. Just ordered an 92A1 ($525 shipped).

RHINOWSO
12-22-18, 17:08
If someone wants a well supported all metal DA/SA handgun, it's hard to overlook commercial Beretta 92 and variants.

Not ideal for concealed carry for most, but for HD or open carry they are great.

Slater
12-26-18, 20:15
Arrived today. Some Beretta fanboys warned me to expect possible scratches, scuffs, or blemishes but this looks well finished with none of that. This is made in Italy, so maybe the Tennessee-made guns have finish issues?

https://i.imgur.com/4pNZuIal.jpg

Nightstalker865
12-26-18, 21:02
Congrats!

RHINOWSO
12-26-18, 21:11
Yeah over at Beretta Forum they wank about everything. You'd think the Italian guns were all $hitty and the TN guns were made by workers laid off by Century.

Some of the initial TN guns did have problems but for the most part that has been worked out, I think.

Coal Dragger
12-26-18, 23:05
I remember watching a video where Ernest Langdon discusses the Italian guns vs the Tennessee made guns. Mentioned the cosmetics on the Italian guns was better, but slide to frame and barrel to frame and slide fit was better on the Tennessee made 92’s in his experience.

I can always send a gun off for refinishing a lot cheaper than having a Barsto or KKM barrel installed/fitted to clean up mechanical accuracy issues.