PDA

View Full Version : Those in the know, talk to me about the latest SIG 320's

tn1911
12-16-18, 17:14
Specifically the F/S .45.

How did the recall go, was the primary issue of the drop/firing fixed?

Anyone send their's in and see a noticeable difference, in say the trigger?

Does anyone own/shoot the F/S .45?

Any issues with it, no matter how small or minor I'd like to hear about them.

I'm always looking for a full-size .45 auto to pull House duty.

flenna
12-16-18, 17:35

Get a Glock 21 and you will be far ahead of any Sig.

tn1911
12-16-18, 17:40
Get a Glock 21 and you will be far ahead of any Sig.

Understood and that is my line of thinking. I was just wondering if this platform had been properly beta tested and fixed by chance.

Hemoglobin
12-16-18, 18:04
If you aren't invested into Glocks, go look at a PPQ .45.

wanderson
12-16-18, 18:09
I’ve had a 320 full size .45 for about 6 months now.
Good shooter, good trigger, no issues.

I used to own a G21 gen 4, no issues but I sold it for a g40 MOS. The p320 fits my hand much better. Both are soft shooters. I like the factory p320 trigger just a bit better than a factory Glock trigger.

The biggest drawback to the p320 in .45 is that a lot of aftermarket stuff is only for 9/40/357 versions. The .45 mags are bigger and I think the trigger group is different.

hopetonbrown
12-16-18, 18:32
I'm wondering why 45?

tn1911
12-16-18, 18:54
I'm wondering why 45?

Its my preferred round for carry/self defense

tn1911
12-16-18, 18:55
If you aren't invested into Glocks, go look at a PPQ .45.

There is one I'll need to look at on my next G/S trip.

I own a Walther PPS and I love it, miss my old P99...

MistWolf
12-16-18, 20:25
I have a Walther PPQ 45. I love it. Holds twelve rounds in a package about the size of a 1911 Commander. Very comfortable in the hand. Good accuracy. Very shootable.

hopetonbrown
12-16-18, 20:35
Its my preferred round for carry/self defense"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the 45 ACP cartridges" -Dr Vincent Di Maio

"bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers" -Dr Gary Roberts

As a bonus you'd be able to get a Tenicor AIWB, as he'll never make a large frame Glock holster.

BuzzinSATX
12-16-18, 20:50
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the 45 ACP cartridges" -Dr Vincent Di Maio

"bullets with effective terminal performance are available in all of the most commonly used duty pistol calibers" -Dr Gary Roberts

As a bonus you'd be able to get a Tenicor AIWB, as he'll never make a large frame Glock holster.

This isn’t a caliber thread, Bro...no need for the lecture on 9MM.

MountainRaven
12-16-18, 20:52
I guess I'll be a weirdo and suggest looking at an M&P M2.0 in 45 or an HK45/HK45C.

call_me_ski
12-16-18, 21:13
I will echo the recommendation for the PPQ 45. The best thing going for a 45acp these days.

BuzzinSATX
12-16-18, 21:22
OP, I don’t have experience with the 320 in .45. But agree that if interested in the Sig 320, and you are a looking for a poly striker fire gun, and want a very good trigger, the PPQ is an outstanding choice out of the box. I owned one, but being a Glock trigger shooter, it was too light for my tastes so I went back to my G21.

I’ll give you another to think on...the Springfield XD line, either Mod 2 or (better) XDm.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xdm-4-5-45-acp/

If you want an excellent trigger, send it to the folks at PRP and you’ll have a great blaster:

https://shop.powderriverprecision.net/category.sc?categoryId=33

After I jacked up a trigger kit I’d bought from them for an XD 3.3 45 ACP, I called them and they told me to send them the gun. I got it back in a week with a great trigger at no additional cost. I offered to pay for the work and they refused. Great company, sweet shooting subcompact .45

Just another option...

Delta-3
12-16-18, 21:28
I've had a FS 320 in .45 for over a year. It has been utterly reliable with anything I have loaded into it. It seems to recoil softer than my 1911's. Accuracy is on par with any other comparable .45 ( it mostly depends on the shooter) I like it very much! After market is low but what do you really need other than extra mags, which are readily available.

Ron3
12-16-18, 21:56

I got a .45 (S&W M&P Shield) and liked it, but I wanted another, bigger .45 to shoot, too.

So I got an M&P 2.0 .45 full-size. I like it even more than I thought I would. It's only $400 + FFL fees) Factory 14 rnd extended magazines don't cost much, either.

I recommend it. Zero problems. (Although I don't even have 1000 rds through it yet. Won't be long, though!)

It's a great house pistol though I've carried it, too.

SomeOtherGuy
12-16-18, 22:59
Not a .45 but I bought a fullsize 9mm on a Thanksgiving-week sale. Manufactured in October 2018, so current everything, no recall considerations.

Let me preface my comments by saying that a Glock 17 has been my primary competition gun for roughly 8 years, I have lots of time with the G17 and G19 and some time with the G22 and G30, and have also owned and used the striker fired M&P gen1, FNS, Steyr M9, XD, and Ruger American, along with various DA/SA guns and 1911s.

So far, I love the P320, far above all of the other striker guns I've tried. My reasons are:
1) Although I was skeptical of the grip angle at first, I find it works great single or two-handed, and is more comfortable and natural than the Glock angle for me.
2) Trigger pull is short and simple with no weirdness that contributes to poor release. It's not all that light, but feels light because it's short and smooth.
3) I strongly dislike blade-in-trigger designs, and dislike the hinged trigger (M&P, FNS) nearly as much. The P320 is the only striker fired gun I know of that avoids this issue.
4) Felt recoil is really, really light. Yes I have a fullsize 9mm, but even by that standard, and compared to a G17 or M&P full size, it's light.

LDM
12-18-18, 06:58
I had a P320 in 45 and except for never being able to find a small grip module was very happy... until I tried a Walther PPQ 45 one day in at Cabelas.
To me, the grip and trigger were so compelling I traded.
Subsequently I installed an Apex Tactical flat face trigger assembly and I dare say this trigger is as good my 1911 with a trigger job by a very good 1911 gunsmith.
The one thing I wish Walther would offer are different weight trigger springs. The trigger spring on the Walther is easy to replace and directly influences trigger pull. (note- the trigger spring for the 45 is different than the one for the 9) I replaced my trigger spring to increase trigger pull about 3/4 pound. Unfortunately appropriate triggers springs are a real pain to find and are something of a trial and error.

signal4l
12-18-18, 08:48
I know the OP is looking for info on the 45. However, this article doesn't inspire confidence in the 320 platform

http://thenewsrep.com/98976/dod-evaluation-says-armys-new-sig-sauer-p320-service-pistol-riddled-issues/

I understand the article was written almost a year ago. But I can't believe Sig would sell weapons that go bang when they're dropped and break when fired with nato ball. I doubt I will ever buy another one of their products. I have no desire to be an unpaid beta tester

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-18-18, 09:53
I know the OP is looking for info on the 45. However, this article doesn't inspire confidence in the 320 platform

http://thenewsrep.com/98976/dod-evaluation-says-armys-new-sig-sauer-p320-service-pistol-riddled-issues/

I understand the article was written almost a year ago. But I can't believe Sig would sell weapons that go bang when they're dropped and break when fired with nato ball. I doubt I will ever buy another one of their products. I have no desire to be an unpaid beta tester

I don't own a single SIG product, but....

Do you really believe that the P320/M17/M18 was the first weapon platform to experience issues when it was rolled out? How many countless LE departments had issues with Glock/SW/FN/etc over the years? Even the venerable Beretta M9 had it's issues out of the gate and had many considering it to be garbage (frame and slide crackling, and the infamous NSW facial injuries). How long did we as consumers, myself included, have to play the Glock Gen 4 BTF game? You can google ANY military weapons platform and read about the countless problems they had when first issues, and the problems they still have today. Should we post old articles for each one as justification why we should not buy one now?

The plus side for the civilian market is that the 320 has now been issued enmasse, and tested so thoroughly that all the kinks have been found. SIG acknowledged their eff up, issued the recall, and fixed the problem. A 2016/17 P320 may have been too early to buy one, but a 2019 P320 is a safe bet.

Many in my agency are switching from Glock 21's to SIG P320's. I have personally found them to have a more natural grip angle than the Glock (I have carried a Glock 21 for a long time, and will be switching to a Glock 34 this year, so again, not a SIG apoliogist) and the P320 Compact that I played with was a very accurate and smooth shooting pistol.

If the P320 RX wasn't milled for the abortion of an optic called the Sig Romeo, and instead for the RMR, I'd have already bought one and started carrying it as my duty gun.

call_me_ski
12-18-18, 10:41

Different OEM trigger springs are being rolled out by Walther next year.

dwhitehorne
12-18-18, 17:14
I've got a full size 320 in 45 at work. It's got over 4000 rounds through it. Close to 3000 from me. It has choked on Speer 185gr frangible a couple of times and maybe a malfunction or two with 230 grain Winchester Ranger bonded. I'm issued a 320 9mm at work. Counting the pistol eval I ran I personally have about 12,000 rounds through the P320 in 9, 40 and 45. I think the Glock 21SF I have in the weapons library is a softer shooting pistol. The P320 feels better in the hand to me though. I'd try and see if there are any rentals to shoot because it is really personal preference. A few in the thread mention the Walther. I've owned a few and I thought the 45 Walther jumped around a lot. David

Bravo Sierra
12-18-18, 18:32
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the 45 ACP cartridges" -Dr Vincent Di Maio

True, 9mm? 10mm? Whats one millimeter? All the same.👍🤣

sundance435
12-19-18, 11:30
I've got a full size 320 in 45 at work. It's got over 4000 rounds through it. Close to 3000 from me. It has choked on Speer 185gr frangible a couple of times and maybe a malfunction or two with 230 grain Winchester Ranger bonded. I think the Glock 21SF I have in the weapons library is a softer shooting pistol. The P320 feels better in the hand to me though. I'd try and see if there are any rentals to shoot because it is really personal preference. A few in the thread mention the Walther. I've owned a few and I thought the 45 Walther jumped around a lot. David

OT, but I've owned countless .45s over the years and with the exception of the (German) stainless Sig 220, which weighed like 40+ oz., the Glock 21 was the most pleasant to shoot and one of the most accurate for me.