PDA

View Full Version : Now the Air Force wants a 45.

olds442tyguy
10-31-06, 17:51
So the Air Force put out a solicitation looking for a 40S&W or a 45ACP handgun. I'd post the solicitation, but coincidentally, it's nearly the same as the JCP. No specific color is mentioned, and it can be a 40SW or 45ACP.

Only 100,000 pistols, but hopefully anoher branch of our military wanting a new handgun will be enough to influence the higher ups.

http://www.fbo.gov/spg/USAF/AFMC/WRALC/RFI%2DHANDGUN/listing.html

Dport
10-31-06, 17:53
Looks like their eyes are bigger than their budget.

SinnFéinM1911
10-31-06, 18:05
I dont believe there eyes are bigger. This was kinda of a spin of of JCP and logistics and to force it a different route. Alot of us were expecting this, and most of the industry is already ready for it.

M4arc
10-31-06, 19:50
That's interesting!

It sounds like S&W already has a jump on those specs with the M&P. Of course, I'll be praying to the good lord above that Glock has something to offer as well :)

Dport
10-31-06, 19:56
I dont believe there eyes are bigger. This was kinda of a spin of of JCP and logistics and to force it a different route. Alot of us were expecting this, and most of the industry is already ready for it.
Sorry, I just don't see the .mil changing horses, in this case 9mm to .45 or .40, in the middle of two shooting wars. The pistols. That's easy. Not that hard of a thing to change out. The caliber conversion. That's a bit stickier.

I know the USCG was supposed to switch to .40cal about two years ago. Did that ever happen?

HotRod9mm
10-31-06, 21:08
That's interesting!

.... I'll be praying to the good lord above that Glock has something to offer as well :)

You may get your wish! :D

M4arc
11-01-06, 06:23
You may get your wish! :D

OH :eek:

I hope you're right!

SinnFéinM1911
11-01-06, 07:47
I was just meaning after JCP was canceled, the program was kind of shifted to the AF ( $$$ ).

What do you mean by caliber convertions ? Are you saying that they want to change from .40 to .45 or just going fomr 9mm to a .40 or .45 ? Sorry, I think I'm lost ....

TOrrock
11-01-06, 08:00
I think Dport was referring to the SIG P229 DAK's in .40 S&W that the Coast Guard bought to replace the M9.

Business_Casual
11-01-06, 09:52
If it's true we ended up using 30-06 in the Garand because of the stocks of ammo left over from WWI (which turned out to be not correctly annealed and were destroyed) then I have a hard time believing that the 36 kajillion rounds of 9mm in storage all over the world are going to be jettisoned in favor of 40 S&W...

M_P

Dport
11-01-06, 10:35
I think Dport was referring to the SIG P229 DAK's in .40 S&W that the Coast Guard bought to replace the M9.
Is that what they chose?

All I know was the LEDETs I was working with were all excited about getting something bigger than a 9mm. Last I heard, they were still using the 9mm overseas.

Dport
11-01-06, 10:37
I was just meaning after JCP was canceled, the program was kind of shifted to the AF ( $$$ ).
I understand what you meant.

What do you mean by caliber convertions ? Are you saying that they want to change from .40 to .45 or just going fomr 9mm to a .40 or .45 ? Sorry, I think I'm lost ....
The idea is to ditch the 9mm for something bigger. I don't think that is going to happen anytime soon. You can replace a pistol fairly easily. Changing calibers from 9mm to something bigger is a large task. One that is complicated by two shooting wars.

SinnFéinM1911
11-01-06, 10:41
Well, Gen Mosley says it WILL be done before he leaves his position.

I understand what your saying and agree 100%, but this issues has been rolled over for a couple years and now it top priority.

Dport
11-01-06, 12:51
Well, Gen Mosley says it WILL be done before he leaves his position.

I understand what your saying and agree 100%, but this issues has been rolled over for a couple years and now it top priority.
Well, I've seen more than one flag leave/retire/whatever and not get what they want.

I'm willing to wager the enormous sum of $1.00 that he doesn't get what he wants either. :D

olds442tyguy
11-02-06, 14:10
I think this would serve them well. :D

(Photo originally posted by CMMG.)
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/olds442tyguy/fnp45.jpg

SinnFéinM1911
11-03-06, 08:30
I'm not os sure about that ;)

olds442tyguy
11-03-06, 13:56
I'm not so sure about that ;)
Spill the beans! :D

Are they more interested in .40 S&W or something?

Glockster35
11-05-06, 16:34
I would honestly hope that the AF (I'm an active member) will follow through with this.

If they do, I see these firearms being solicited for Security Forces personnel and maybe for the TACP's, Combat Controllers and some of the other HSLD careerfields out there.

I do not see them going after full replacement of the M9 at all. Most of the AF can't qualify on the M9 as it is.

At times when I was on the range with base classes, I wished we had the old S&W Model 15 .38 specials!

Rob96
11-06-06, 16:34
I would honestly hope that the AF (I'm an active member) will follow through with this.

If they do, I see these firearms being solicited for Security Forces personnel and maybe for the TACP's, Combat Controllers and some of the other HSLD careerfields out there.

I do not see them going after full replacement of the M9 at all. Most of the AF can't qualify on the M9 as it is.

At times when I was on the range with base classes, I wished we had the old S&W Model 15 .38 specials!

I definetly see the guns, if purchased going to the spec ops guys first then Security Forces.

I am a former SP myself. Do I see a need to switch to 45, no. I have spoken with people to include one who works within JSOC, and the guys that still choose to use the 9mm are doing well with it. Plus there are too manyhers that have posted first hand experience with the 9mm working, that it makes me wonder if it isn't just something that can be achieved with further pistol training using what is already in the system.

Glockster35
11-06-06, 17:33
I agree, I used to teach firearms for the Air Force, not many people had problems with the Beretta.

In a desert environment though, I guess they aren't that relaible, and that is where the concern seems to stem from.

I would venture to bet, that better magazine springs, better followers and different lube would probably solve 90% of the issues in the field!

I don't personally own one, but would lke to some day!