PDA

View Full Version : New Build Idea, Input and Suggestions Appreciated

R6436
12-18-18, 10:59
For over a year I've been kicking around an idea for an SCR build and finally decided to go with it. I'd appreciate any input/suggestions from members here.

Here's what I have for ideas so far and the reasoning:

SCR lower. Reason behind this is it gives a more traditional rifle look and helps blend in better/stand out less as an "evil" rifle. This will definitely not be my primary defense/duty weapon. I already have an AR for that role. This build will be more for varmints, possibly deer/hog, and range use.

Remington 1100A stock. I like the look of the wood and once again to help blend in. I have a few stock pouches/pads from Triad Tactical to assist with making sure I have proper cheek height for lower mounted sights.

Upper receiver: Not sure at the moment if I want a traditional AR upper or try a side charger (ejection port side if I go that route). As stated won't be a primary weapon so I'm not as concerned with using a side charger. Plus it would be something different to try. May or may not help with the "blending in" concept.

For the barrel I'm looking at something in the 16" range. May go .223 Wylde, but also considering .300BLK as Iowa doesn't allow .223 for deer or bigger and my cousin in Texas wants me to visit for hog hunting (he uses a .300BLK AR). Another "pro" in the .300BLK column is the private range I have access to is about 40-50m, and per the manufacturer this is within safe distance for shooting subs at steel (got to do that a couple of times during the summer and it was fun yet somewhat addicting). I do realize .300 is more expensive than .223, fortunately I'm in the process of installing reloading equipment a co-worker gave me when he upgraded his which should help lower cost a bit.

May go with a thread protector for a muzzle device. Once again because this build won't be my primary rifle and to help it "blend in".

Hand guards. This is where I'm running into road blocks. I'd prefer free float so I can go over the gas block. No biggie, right? I'd also prefer either wood or if someone can direct me to a shop that can do a wood grain paint/cerakote job to match as close as possible the stock. I've talked with Lucid and it seems I always just miss their latest run of AR Free hand guards. I've used wooden M-Lok panels but they just feel "right". I lack the experience and resources to manufacture my own wood panels/tube to fit over slim hand guards. Given the shorter distance of the gas system for .300BLK the non-free float wooden hand guards are too short for my taste. This is probably the area I could use the most help/input/suggestions in.

For optics I'm looking at either an RMR with a low mount or a 1-4x/1-6x scope in a low mount/rings.

I realize it would probably be cheaper to just buy a traditional rifle, but my thinking at the moment is with an SCR I have interchangeability of uppers with my primary rifle (yes, I know the BCG would have to be swapped as well).

So, what comments/input/suggestions do any of you have? And "thank you" in advance for any and all provided.

1911-A1
12-18-18, 11:24
SCR lower. Reason behind this is it gives a more traditional rifle look and helps blend in better/stand out less as an "evil" rifle.

That's a bad reason to spend a lot of money.

R6436
12-18-18, 11:44
That's a bad reason to spend a lot of money.

Most likely. Especially if it was the only reason. I do like the traditional look of the lower yet retaining the modern upper. Right now I'm sitting on a ridiculous amount of OT at work. Probably be the best time to get the project started so I can hopefully use the build this spring.

GH41
12-18-18, 13:30
Most likely. Especially if it was the only reason. I do like the traditional look of the lower yet retaining the modern upper. Right now I'm sitting on a ridiculous amount of OT at work. Probably be the best time to get the project started so I can hopefully use the build this spring.

If I wanted a politically correct hunting semi auto rifle I would look hard at the BAR. I'd probably do it in 308 so I could afford to plink with relatively cheap ball ammo and hunt with the good stuff. With a mid priced 3X9 scope it would do everything you want to do and more than the franken rifle you propose to build. It probably cost less and have more resale value to boot.

Stickman
12-18-18, 18:16
Less filling, tastes great.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/a76c55df56d7ce1334ba6c574445bc3b/tumblr_php6lz4Ah71rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

MistWolf
12-18-18, 18:47
I've been giving serious thought to an SCR as a rifle to take with me into the Occupied Territories. I even started a thread in Stick's area to gauge interest in a group buy of SCR lowers. The only reason I haven't started one is lack of funding.

Unless you just like the look of wood, I would just use a synthetic stock. Synthetic stocks are normal. If you don't like it being black, paint it.

I took a look at an SCR at my favorite gunshop. After racking the charging handle, I've decided a side charger would be prudent.

No need to limit yourself to one caliber. Like a standard AR lower, it fits any AR upper.

If you don't want a muzzle device, AR barrels are available with a threadless muzzle.

Don't waste your time getting wood handguards to work. They're fragile. I like the MagPul Slimline handguards. For free-float handguards, I like those made from carbon fiber. I have one from PRI and one from Lancer. I like them both.

Don't let anyone talk you out of putting together an SCR. There's something about the rifle that's compelling.

Stickman
12-18-18, 18:50
I've been giving serious thought to an SCR as a rifle to take with me into the Occupied Territories. I even started a thread in Stick's area to gauge interest in a group buy of SCR lowers.

Don't let anyone talk you out of putting together an SCR. There's something about the rifle that's compelling.

The idea isn't dead, they are working on a new item which is going to be released at SHOT Shot, and I don't think approaching them until later next year would be fruitful. That being said, there are some other upcoming things that should be popping up soon in the group buy venue.

R6436
12-19-18, 08:50
I've been giving serious thought to an SCR as a rifle to take with me into the Occupied Territories. I even started a thread in Stick's area to gauge interest in a group buy of SCR lowers. The only reason I haven't started one is lack of funding.

Unless you just like the look of wood, I would just use a synthetic stock. Synthetic stocks are normal. If you don't like it being black, paint it.

I took a look at an SCR at my favorite gunshop. After racking the charging handle, I've decided a side charger would be prudent.

No need to limit yourself to one caliber. Like a standard AR lower, it fits any AR upper.

If you don't want a muzzle device, AR barrels are available with a threadless muzzle.

Don't waste your time getting wood handguards to work. They're fragile. I like the MagPul Slimline handguards. For free-float handguards, I like those made from carbon fiber. I have one from PRI and one from Lancer. I like them both.

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it.

I happen to be in the "just likes the look of wood". Synthetic would work and keep my OCD in check when using alternate uppers. Will most likely use the factory stock, at least in the beginning. I'm open to any ideas at this point. I will look into the hand guards you mentioned, hadn't considered carbon fiber before.

R6436
12-19-18, 08:55
The idea isn't dead, they are working on a new item which is going to be released at SHOT Shot, and I don't think approaching them until later next year would be fruitful. That being said, there are some other upcoming things that should be popping up soon in the group buy venue.

I'm hoping this is way Fightlite's website reduced the number of lowers they have listed on their website the past few months :-)