PDA

View Full Version : New AR Build

donquixote
12-18-18, 22:34
Hey All,
I am currently working on a new AR build and am new to it (to building, not to ARs). I've bought the majority of the parts and was wondering if I could get some feedback on it (do you guys see any potential problems with the current parts). I decided to go for an "AR15 DMR" type build, not really sure why, but I already have a couple other ARs, so I figured why not change it up. I am looking to get out to around 400-500yds with it, so any suggestions would help. I haven't bought an optic yet, so if you have any ideas, let me know.

Spike's Tactical Viking Stripped Lower Receiver
Spike's Tactical AR-15 Standard Lower Parts Kit without Fire Control Group
Geissele 2 Stage (G2S) Trigger (Haven't Bought)
Magpul MOE+ Pistol Grip
Luth-AR Rifle Buffer Assembly
Magpul MOE Fixed Rifle Stock
Spike's Tactical M4 Flat Top Upper
BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto
BCM 20" SS410™ SAM-R Barrel with Rifle Length Gas (stripped) 1/8 Twist (Ionbond Black)
YHM Black Plated Rifle Gas Tube
YHM Low Profile Gas Block (0.750)
Radian Raptor-LT Charging Handle
MI G3 18" M-Series One Piece Free Float Hand Guard, M-LOK (Haven't Bought)

That's what I've got so far. Bought everything except the hand guard and trigger. I also haven't decided if I want to go with a brake or a flash hider so any suggestions on that would be appreciated. I've read everything I could find on the barrel and it all says that it is "5.56 NATO Match Chamber (USMC SAM-R Chamber)", meaning its not 5.56 or 223 Wylde. However, I should shoot 223 match ammo, as that is what the barrel is most accurate with, but it can also shoot 5.56. So if anyone has any ammo suggestions for this gun that would be great as well.

Thanks,
Don

cbthedookie
12-18-18, 23:54
I don’t see any compatibility issues jumping out, although everyone has different personal preferences. One thing you may want to verify is any factory dimpling of barrel if gas block is fixed with set screws.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

everready73
12-19-18, 07:24
Not a bad parts list. I personally dont love spikes, but you could do worse than them.

I would consider the Larue MBT for the trigger. Very similar to Geissele SSA but $87

Never used LUTH-Ar probably would have went with A5 system or BCM/Sionics RE

I have heard both good and bad about that BCM barrel. Some seem to shoot and some not so accurate. I would suggest looking into White Oak, Compass Lake, and Keystone Accuracy for additional options

Nothing wrong with the Midwest rail, I like their newer "Combat Rail" better and my usual value go to is ALG V2/3

Overall solid parts list, just a few things to consider

MistWolf
12-19-18, 12:25
For a muzzle device, I'd shoot it with an A2. The A2 is cheap and shooting it may show you don't need anything else. But if it doesn't suit your needs, it's cheap enough to toss in the parts bin without a second thought.

From your parts list, I assume it's a precision build. If so, keep in mind, glass is everything. Don't skimp on the glass!

Iraqgunz
12-19-18, 16:40
Call me crazy, but if you are already buying a BCM barrel and BCG, you might as well get their gas block and gas tube.

Wake27
12-19-18, 19:02
Call me crazy, but if you are already buying a BCM barrel and BCG, you might as well get their gas block and gas tube.

And their upper receiver. And maybe buffer tube. And lower. Hmm. Maybe just buy a complete BCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donquixote
12-19-18, 21:02
And if I was going to use all BCM parts, I might have bought a complete BCM. BCM didn't have the black plated gas tube I wanted, so I found one I liked, then bought the gas block to go with it. I had heard YHM makes good products, so I didn't think it was a bad deal. I liked the Spike's lower, so I went with that and stuck with them for the upper too. Didn't shop around too much for the buffer assembly, saw the Luth assembly and got it. Only BCM stuff I went with is the BCG and barrel.

Iraqgunz
12-19-18, 21:05
Apples and Oranges comparison.

And their upper receiver. And maybe buffer tube. And lower. Hmm. Maybe just buy a complete BCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
12-19-18, 21:06
Disregard then my man. You continue on with your build.

And if I was going to use all BCM parts, I might have bought a complete BCM. BCM didn't have the black plated gas tube I wanted, so I found one I liked, then bought the gas block to go with it. I had heard YHM makes good products, so I didn't think it was a bad deal. I liked the Spike's lower, so I went with that and stuck with them for the upper too. Didn't shop around too much for the buffer assembly, saw the Luth assembly and got it. Only BCM stuff I went with is the BCG and barrel.

ChattanoogaPhil
12-19-18, 21:36
hmmmm....

Some folks are a lot better at asking for feedback than they are at receiving same.

With that in mind... I cautiously mention the LaRue MBT as a worthy alternative to consider.

Cheers.

titsonritz
12-19-18, 21:38
I've bought the majority of the parts and was wondering if I could get some feedback on it (do you guys see any potential problems with the current parts).

Isn't that backwards? Why not get feedback before buying?

donquixote
12-19-18, 23:02
Haha you're right. I already had most of the parts in mind, so when I decided to actually build I just went out and bought them. I just figured I'd throw it on the forum to get looked over before I put all of it together and realized I had a compatibility issue with the parts or something.

donquixote
12-19-18, 23:05
I've been reading about it and heard many good things and had multiple recommendations for it. Probably will give it a try, considering it is almost half the price of the Geissele.
Thanks!

MorphCross
12-19-18, 23:46
I've been reading about it and heard many good things and had multiple recommendations for it. Probably will give it a try, considering it is almost half the price of the Geissele.
Thanks!
Just be prepared to wait on the MBT-2S when you order it. A month or there about.

Personally I have wanted to do a 20" SDMR build but the lack of personal property to stretch its legs for practice has kiboshed the notion. Enjoy it when you are done and looking forward to the range report.

Iraqgunz
12-21-18, 00:55
I placed my order on 12/10 and it shipped yesterday.

Just be prepared to wait on the MBT-2S when you order it. A month or there about.

Personally I have wanted to do a 20" SDMR build but the lack of personal property to stretch its legs for practice has kiboshed the notion. Enjoy it when you are done and looking forward to the range report.

elephant
12-21-18, 01:22
BCM didn't have the black plated gas tube I wanted, so I found one I liked, then bought the gas block to go with it.

Get this: https://www.epi.com/black-oxide/stainless-steel/room/insta-blak-ss-370/

All my gas tubes are black oxide! It takes 1 minute., Brush it on or dip it.

AndyLate
12-21-18, 09:41
Get this: https://www.epi.com/black-oxide/stainless-steel/room/insta-blak-ss-370/

All my gas tubes are black oxide! It takes 1 minute., Brush it on or dip it.

I hate to piggy back, but have you done any larger stainless items? I have visions of my stainless M77 being a nice even black color on the cheap...

In the spirit of the thread - I have both the MBT and G2S. If the cost were the same, I would still prefer the MBT because the G2S uses an alternative method to retain the hammer pin.

At its current price, choosing the MBT is a no-brainer.

Andy

Achilles11B
12-21-18, 19:16
Another recommendation for the MBT, it’s a great trigger, especially for the price.

Sionics makes a great handguard, they may be worth taking a look at.