PDA

View Full Version : New build recs.

1986s4
12-19-18, 11:37
I am gathering information for my first build. I've shot enough 2 gun matches and training/practice that I'm pretty sure of what I want in a AR15. I like the lightweight of my A1 carbine upper and the sight versatility of my Colt M4 upper. Above all I want reliability and durability so I'm not compromising on quality so this build may take a while to gather. But I'm in no particular hurry. I also like iron sights but I do have a Aimpoint Pro with Aimpoint 3x magnifier.

So far I have:
LMT stripped lower
Colt BCG
DD A1 rear iron sight

My next buy which will be next year [2019] is the receiver extension with spring/buffer. My planned upper is a BCM hammer forged 16" lightweight mid, so given that what is the best option for reliability/durability? I've been using the search function and have come up with confusion. I was planning on using a BCM extension tube kit with H or H1 buffer but now the A5 comes into play. What, if any, advantages does it bring to the table?

Thanks to all,

1986s4

Stickman
12-19-18, 15:29
The standard RE with H buffer is fine, the A5 is nicer and an upgrade. Your URG choice is solid.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Get a good lower parts kit (LPK) and you are all set.

Wake27
12-19-18, 19:08
I am gathering information for my first build. I've shot enough 2 gun matches and training/practice that I'm pretty sure of what I want in a AR15. I like the lightweight of my A1 carbine upper and the sight versatility of my Colt M4 upper. Above all I want reliability and durability so I'm not compromising on quality so this build may take a while to gather. But I'm in no particular hurry. I also like iron sights but I do have a Aimpoint Pro with Aimpoint 3x magnifier.

So far I have:
LMT stripped lower
Colt BCG
DD A1 rear iron sight

My next buy which will be next year [2019] is the receiver extension with spring/buffer. My planned upper is a BCM hammer forged 16" lightweight mid, so given that what is the best option for reliability/durability? I've been using the search function and have come up with confusion. I was planning on using a BCM extension tube kit with H or H1 buffer but now the A5 comes into play. What, if any, advantages does it bring to the table?

Thanks to all,

1986s4

The A5 thing tends to generate a ton of discussion here, so much so that reading the threads can be laborious. Bottom line is many people consider it an upgrade, but you really can’t go wrong with a standard set up, as long as it has quality components. I use the A5, but if not, I’d just go to Geissele’s website and buy their system (I think they sell tubes?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
12-20-18, 05:06
H and H1 are the same. Someone thought it was a good idea to add a number to it to create more confusion.

So far I have:
LMT stripped lower
Colt BCG
DD A1 rear iron sight

Thanks to all,

1986s4

1986s4
12-20-18, 08:52
H and H1 are the same. Someone thought it was a good idea to add a number to it to create more confusion.

Ahh, it worked on me..