PDA

View Full Version : New York State Senate goes full potato on gun control

Grand58742
12-20-18, 20:06
I never thought New York could out-tard themselves in the gun control realm after the SAFE Act in 2013.

Turns out I was wrong...

https://www.range365.com/ny-bill-would-require-gun-owners-to-carry-1m-insurance-policies

New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Senate democrats continue their quest to usurp the Second Amendment by imposing undue burdens on those exercising that right in the Empire State. The latest attack is a bill that would require “owners of firearms to obtain liability insurance in an amount not less than one million dollars.”

State Senate Bill S2857A, sponsored by Kevin S. Parker, would “amend the insurance law, to require firearm owners, prior to such ownership, to obtain and continuously maintain a policy of liability insurance to cover any damages resulting from the use of such firearm.”

The first sentence of the opening paragraph gives a clue as to the potential cost of such a policy:

“Failure to maintain such insurance shall result in the immediate revocation of such owner's registration, license and any other privilege to own such firearm.”

Rekkr870
12-20-18, 20:08
Oh it's not gun control. Just making it extremely hard and financially unaffordable. The tactics are changing with the anti-gunners.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Grand58742
12-20-18, 20:14
Oh it's not gun control. Just making it extremely hard and financially unaffordable. The tactics are changing with the anti-gunners.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The problem is (don't have a dog in this fight other than it giving other mouthbreathing States ideas) the wording they use. Privilege versus right.

Anyway, in concert with this:

https://suffolklaw.com/new-york-bans-firearms-insurance-program/

New York State has recently fined Lockton Companies $7,000,000 for advertising and selling the NRA-branded firearm insurance program known as “Carry Guard” to state residents. The NRA program, which provides comprehensive personal firearms liability coverage for legal fees stemming from the use of a firearm in self-defense, is popular among law-abiding gun owners. The insurance promises to mitigate the financial and legal consequences that might arise from armed encounters, even if the member did everything right. This new interpretation of the insurance law by New York regulators is an abrupt change in policy and raises significant legal questions.

So, basically, they are trying a loophole. Require someone to have insurance to own a firearm. Ban the sale of that insurance in the State.

SomeOtherGuy
12-20-18, 22:23
So, basically, they are trying a loophole. Require someone to have insurance to own a firearm. Ban the sale of that insurance in the State.

Slightly different insurance, but I'm 99% sure NY would effectively prohibit insurance companies (which are HIGHLY regulated) from offering the necessary coverage, therefore resulting in an effective ban on gun ownership.

Not a loophole, it's a "Catch-22."

Ed L.
12-20-18, 22:48
Using this logic, violent criminals should be required to carry liability insurance before being let out of prison since they are far more likely to to commit crimes and hurt and kill people than the average gunowner.

Requiring liability insurance to own a firearm, which is a constitutional right, is the same as requiring a poll tax to vote. Poll taxes were ruled an unconstitutional restriction or fee on a constitutional and civil right.

Of course this is exactly what I expect from Cuomo.

SteyrAUG
12-21-18, 01:41
Ha. Called it back in 2004.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?121134-The-BATFEN-2044-Firearm-Purchase-Program

*All potential purchasers must have a current, valid Federal Firearm Purchase permit complete with current FBI/BATFEN records search, State Firearm Purchase ID, BATFEN approved firearms storage unit and proof of current Firearm Owner Insurance Policy.

Firefly
12-21-18, 05:25
The sad personal irony here is that the first time I ever shot anything like an AR or an HK rifle was on farmland in NYS in the late 80s/early 90s.

panzerr
12-21-18, 06:04
The irony is that all this does is make it more difficult for those with less means to exercise their rights. Basically government forced inequality.

TommyG
12-21-18, 06:20
Also a great pre-condition to suing individual firearms owners when bad things happen with a weapon that you own or have owned at some time in history. The plaintiffs' bar in New York can probably hear the cash register ringing already.

BrigandTwoFour
12-21-18, 07:40
The other side can’t keep accusing us if talking about slippery slopes at this point. The big anti states just keep proving our point.

1. Register your firearms, for safety and theft reasons

2. Arbitrarily redefine “high capacity” to be anything over 7 rounds

3. Ban firearm liability insurance, because the NRA sells it

4. Require $1M firearm liability insurance or lose your guns, which we know about because registered them

5. Profit?

MegademiC
12-21-18, 10:21
Next up, fake news insurance if you want to make political posts online in NY.

This is the same concept of a poll tax imo, and dont expect it to hold up in SCOTUS if it ever gets there.

ramairthree
12-21-18, 10:23
It must be getting close to FO time for some old bastard in upstate NY who just learned he has six months to live from cancer or something who could take out a million dollar life insurance policy on Parker, with a clause that he reaps double as long as Parker does not die by a horrible, evil gun.

The epic poetic justice as the old bastard regales us with a death bed video of the tales of his kick ass music montage of training then elimination of the sponsor by hunga munga , followed by a hedonistic waste of the inusrance payout spent on hookers, blow, expensive whiskies, and the mailing of multiple AR15s and hunga mungas to random addresses in NY.

MA2_Navy_Veteran
12-21-18, 15:03
“Failure to maintain such insurance shall result in the immediate revocation of such owner's registration, license and any other privilege to own such firearm.”

This (bolded above) is their primary logic fail. Firearm ownership is not a privilage. IT'S A RIGHT!

Doc Safari
12-21-18, 15:27

This (bolded above) is their primary logic fail. Firearm ownership is not a privilage. IT'S A RIGHT!

I wonder how many people have died shouting that at the SWAT team?

davidjinks
12-22-18, 14:09
You know guys, I looked up the Second Amendment in the Constitution and I can’t find “Priviledge” anywhere.

BrigandTwoFour
12-22-18, 14:31
You know guys, I looked up the Second Amendment in the Constitution and I can’t find “Priviledge” anywhere.

Irrelevant. To these people, it’s a 230
Year old piece of paper written by privileged white male slave owners.

Our adherence to it is quaint and backwards. They will do what they want and their base will reward them for it.

WillBrink
12-22-18, 14:40
The sad personal irony here is that the first time I ever shot anything like an AR or an HK rifle was on farmland in NYS in the late 80s/early 90s.

Same for me, but mid 70s. On a big horse farm where the owner paid a few guys my mother was friends with to shoot woodchucks, to prevent the horses from breaking a leg from stepping in the woodchuck holes. Talk about a dream job. They were there all summer for free, and were paid a small fee to shoot then varmints all day. Even as a kid, I thought that was the best summer job ever.

The_War_Wagon
12-22-18, 14:51
Isn't New Yawk suing the NRA for selling such insurance?

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/82510864/you-went-full-half-baked-potato-never-go-full-half-baked-potato.jpg