PDA

View Full Version : My do it all AR what do you think?

cistercian
12-22-18, 21:56
Post title says it all. I bought a DDM4V7 Pro upper for my DDM4V7 lower that has a SSA-E in it. I wanted the lower stress of a full rifle length gas system and the benefits of the heavy barrel. The brake is loud but follow up shots are like cheating from low recoil and muzzle rise. I am old and my eyes are too so I topped it with a VCOG. I love it. The rifle is slightly heavy but accurate and fast. I think it is great from point blank to 300 meters (old eyes).

Is it GTG? I think it is. I have the 16" original upper with a M4S Aimpoint for close in work but think that upper might be better off on my Colt 6920 lower once I drop my other SSA-E in it. I love the SSA-E trigger BTW. It is to me the perfect balance of accuracy and safety.

The 18" heavy barrel full length gas gun seem optimal to me. Very accurate and fast too.

What do you guys think?

AKDoug
12-23-18, 00:12
"What do you guys think?"

I think that shorter is better. If you are only shooting at 300 yards, a basic 14.5" with a pinned A2 is all you need. If you want to go SBR then getting it down to 12" or so is even better. Still perfectly fine for 300 yards.

I think you own it and you will enjoy it.

I also think that this thread my be closed before page 2.

MorphCross
12-23-18, 00:39
"What do you guys think?"

I think you own it and you will enjoy it.

Nothing more and nothing less really needs to be said.

Rock it and come back with some cool data from range sessions. Everybody likes data especially when it goes in-depth.

mack7.62
12-23-18, 07:03
I would dump the brake for a A2.

Pappabear
12-23-18, 18:53
If its your end all be all gun, then its your end all be all. Your GTG. Most would prefer a shorter set up.

PB

marco.g
12-23-18, 18:59
Did you already buy this thing??

You mention it’s heavy, if it’s too heavy to walk around with and take off hand shots then it’s too heavy.

I’m building an 18” ss style rifle to have, but my GP carbine is a 14.5” and it does the job out to 300 from a knee.

Eurodriver
12-24-18, 07:38
Crap. Should have picked up a DPMS.

Ditto

I will offer you a very fair price OP. Send me a PM. $350 for the whole thing.

BuzzinSATX
12-24-18, 10:00
What do you guys think?

LOL! I think that your question in the quote above never ends well on this forum!

I also think that you need to decide yourself what works for you. If you like it, can shoot it, and are good with it, why ask anyone here?

Finally, I think you have a good gun. Enjoy shooting it, and be safe.

morpheus562
12-24-18, 12:24
I owned a VCOG and just didn't like it. Too heavy for what it was, I didn't find the illumination daylight bright, and the diopter adjustment was pure garbage. I sold it and haven't looked back. For the price of the VCOG, there are a lot of other amazing optics out there.

ViniVidivici
12-24-18, 12:29
Sounds fine, what's the overall weight? Don't want it to be too heavy to hump around all day.

Rattler5
12-26-18, 20:47
Great choice.

Joelski
12-27-18, 06:46
Very nice rifle. As with others, I'd swap the brake for a comp; either an SLR Synergy, or a comp designed to mount the suppressor of your choice, should you decide to get into that.

Brakes are skull crackers IMO.

Nobody cares much about the people to either side at the range, but if you shoot with family or friends, they'll still claim you afterwards. :)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ozarkpugs
12-27-18, 07:14
I enjoy carrying and shooting my light weight 5.56/.223 W and 6.8s but when I want to just set up a shooting bench and punch holes or sit in a hunting blind my 20" bull.223w or my mh 18" 6.8 are there with me . They are not as easy to carry or swing as fast but they are easier to hold steadier and there is enough velocity difference between 14" and 20" in 5.56 and 12.5 v 18" in 6.8 to give me a little more confidence in putting critters down farther out . If I could only own 1 upper it would be one of the lighter ones but as you stated it us a companion your lighter upper . My light guns have red dots - 1×6 Chevron dot and 3 power circle dot optics and my heavier guns have 3×9 and 4× 12 s . All my thread guns have JAL linear comps.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Stickman
12-27-18, 13:10
No stories about group sizes, or even a picture? I’m a visual person....

Artiz
12-28-18, 11:05
What do I think?

I think this forum has turned to the other side.