PDA

View Full Version : Cons of pinning and welding a suppressor mount

Fatorangecat
12-24-18, 08:17
I have read all the threads on pinning and welding a barrel to on overall length of 16". It has never been something that made sense to me but I'm finally getting a suppressor. Are there any reasons not to cut a 6920 to 14.5" and permanently attach a suppressor mount? From what I can find the Colt Socom 14.5" barrels have a gas port of .062. So the gas port would be fine. Any advice would be welcome.

Gatorshark
12-24-18, 08:26
I have two factory Noveskes with pinned AAC to make OAL. I'd rather SBR and keep my options open to other suppressor brands.

hk_shootr
12-24-18, 08:36
Cons are added expense.

Pros are use of a 14.5” barrel, shorter overall length.

An experienced Smith can remove a device later, if needed. Be damn sure to use an experienced smith to pin and weld. I’ve seen many hack jobs, some ruined devices and/or barrels.

gunnerblue
12-24-18, 08:49
Added expense of the pin and weld, plus you are stuck with whatever handguard options will fit the pre-existing barrel nut. Given the amount and cost of ammo needed to actually shoot out a barrel, I don't think the expense of removing the pinned mount should be considered.

I say go for it, and will be myself in the near future.

Ryno12
12-24-18, 10:15
I don’t see the point of pinning & welding anything once you’re in the NFA game. Currently, eForm F1’s are running two weeks. The money to cut, pin, and weld could be put towards a stamp and then your options are endless.

I’ve successfully removed several pin/welded MDs, so I don’t think it’s quite the PITA that everyone makes it out to be, but it is an unnecessary hassle that doesn’t have to exist. There’s nothing to gain from it and plenty of downsides.

RHINOWSO
12-24-18, 10:45
Pinning and welding is fine unless you are a flava of the month rail / muzzle device guy.

Todd.K
12-24-18, 12:38
I agree with Rhino.

I also think it's a much bigger difference with a silencer hanging out an 1.5" less, rather than an A2 FH.

ODgreenpizza
12-24-18, 16:18
I think it comes down to your personal preference and budget.

A 14.5 with K can is pretty close in OAL to a 11.5-12.5 with full size can.

If you're getting the bbl cut down ask the smith about turning the shoulder back so the supressor mount can be properly torqued/indexed without using shims.

MegademiC
12-24-18, 21:10
If budget is tight and you know youre commited to a silencer and whatever else is going to be stuck there, pin and weld.

If you have the money, sbr and pistol lower(or 16” upper) combo(if you travel out of state) is best.

I’ve had a pin/weld for 8 years or so and have no regrets. I’ll shoot out the barrel before I put a different supressor or handguard on there. But the pin/weld cost is similar to a tax stamp.

MistWolf
12-24-18, 23:17
A 14.5 with K can is pretty close in OAL to a 11.5-12.5 with full size can.

I don't get why any anyone would run a full size suppressor on an 11.5" barrel. It's the worst of both worlds.

ODgreenpizza
12-27-18, 13:19
I don't get why any anyone would run a full size suppressor on an 11.5" barrel. It's the worst of both worlds.

It does allow you to use a 10" rail and eliminate clearance issues between can/mount/rail/etc.

Renegade04
12-27-18, 17:43
Personally, I would not cut down the 16" barrel. If you really want to run a suppressor with a 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded muzzle device, buy a new 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel and save or sell the 16" barrel. Anytime you cut down a barrel, you have to account for gas port sizing unless you are running an adjustable gas block. Even then, you may still be under-gassed.

Iraqgunz
12-27-18, 19:54
Colt 14.5" and 6920 barrels use the exact same gas port size.

Personally, I would not cut down the 16" barrel. If you really want to run a suppressor with a 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded muzzle device, buy a new 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel and save or sell the 16" barrel. Anytime you cut down a barrel, you have to account for gas port sizing unless you are running an adjustable gas block. Even then, you may still be under-gassed.

snackgunner
12-27-18, 20:54

confused by what youre saying here?

Fatorangecat
12-28-18, 10:19
I would prefer buy a Colt Socom barrel rather than cut and crown what I have but they are not in stock anywhere except at "cloner" prices and I'm not paying $485 for one.

Fatorangecat
12-28-18, 10:21
Thank you for the clarification Iraqgunz.

scottryan
12-28-18, 12:31
I quit working on guns that have a pinned muzzle device.

Pappabear
12-28-18, 17:44
Cons are added expense.

Pros are use of a 14.5” barrel, shorter overall length.

An experienced Smith can remove a device later, if needed. Be damn sure to use an experienced smith to pin and weld. I’ve seen many hack jobs, some ruined devices and/or barrels.

And if its not concentric you can blow your can up too. Seems like a lot of cons, I would prefer to buy one from a BCM per se where the company do these things often. I wouldn't want Joe Gunsmith doing it. And I have 14.5's and 16's and I dont see that 1.5 inches worth the hassle. But peeps do it all the time, YMMV.

PB

MistWolf
12-28-18, 22:09
I quit working on guns that have a pinned muzzle device.

scottryan, your PM box is full. I have a question for you (unrelated to this thread).

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

MistWolf
12-29-18, 04:24
It does allow you to use a 10" rail and eliminate clearance issues between can/mount/rail/etc.
How would running a short suppressor on an 11.5" barrel be any different?

confused by what youre saying here?
A short barrel is used on an AR to keep the overall length short, but at the expense of velocity. If you install a full sized suppressor, you lose the advantage of the shorter length. Combining a longer suppressor with a shorter barrel gives you the same OAL but with less velocity, the worst of both worlds.

If you're gonna go short, go short.

hile
12-29-18, 10:25
With barrels less than 14.5", I use full-size cans (SOCOM556-RC2); with 14.5" and longer, I use the -MINI2. Reason being that the mini cans are known not to be hearing safe on the shorter barrels.

MistWolf
12-29-18, 13:28
With barrels less than 14.5", I use full-size cans (SOCOM556-RC2); with 14.5" and longer, I use the -MINI2. Reason being that the mini cans are known not to be hearing safe on the shorter barrels.

If a long barrel with a short can is as quiet as a short barrel with a long can but with better velocity, why bother with a short barrel at all?

A short barrel with a short can may not be hearing safe but it's much hearing safer than a long barrel without any can at all and handier than than a long barrel with a short can.

Is a full length can on a short barrel actually "hearing safe"? Is it much quieter than if a short can were used? If so, is it enough to give up the handiness of the shorter length? Personally, I see no reason to use full sized cans on my shorty ARs.

snackgunner
12-29-18, 19:45
heres a good 14.5" barrel op, since colt socoms are harder to find/expensive
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-mountain-series-chf-barrel-5-56mm-nato-14-5-mid-weight-profile-mid-gas-system/

snackgunner
12-29-18, 19:47
If a long barrel with a short can is as quiet as a short barrel with a long can but with better velocity, why bother with a short barrel at all?

A short barrel with a short can may not be hearing safe but it's much hearing safer than a long barrel without any can at all and handier than than a long barrel with a short can.

Is a full length can on a short barrel actually "hearing safe"? Is it much quieter than if a short can were used? If so, is it enough to give up the handiness of the shorter length? Personally, I see no reason to use full sized cans on my shorty ARs.
would a short barrel with full size can be quieter than a short barrel with mini can?

I don't think most people want a suppressor on a short barrel to keep the length/oal down as much as they want to suppress/quiet down the rifle. I could be wrong though?

scottryan
12-29-18, 21:19
scottryan, your PM box is full. I have a question for you (unrelated to this thread).

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Send me an email through the site

ajyaros
01-05-19, 06:16
Silver solder is an option for easier removal I believe. I wouldn’t necessarily cut the barrel down unless you’re dead set on wanting that inch and a half difference. But again as stated above, whatever you do make sure you use a solid Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk