PDA

View Full Version : AR feed malfunction

Wake27
12-24-18, 17:38
Was shooting with a buddy today, he was putting first rounds through a gun that he won. The receivers were Seekins, gas block was BAD, barrel was FN, handguard was Fortis, unmarked black buffer, and BCG I think was WMD guns (had the bio hazard logo and some type of NP3/NiB finish). The gun had some problems ejecting, but had even more problems picking up new rounds tho chamber. We tested a ton of different mags that worked in other ARs and I threw it on my lower to test with A5-2 and -0 buffers. We swapped the BCG and it worked fine but I don’t know what the actual problem is, other than that it has to be in the BCG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inkslinger
12-24-18, 17:42
Did you check to see if the gas key was loose?

TacticalFun
12-24-18, 17:58
Was shooting with a buddy today, he was putting first rounds through a gun that he won. The receivers were Seekins, gas block was BAD, barrel was FN, handguard was Fortis, unmarked black buffer, and BCG I think was WMD guns (had the bio hazard logo and some type of NP3/NiB finish). The gun had some problems ejecting, but had even more problems picking up new rounds tho chamber. We tested a ton of different mags that worked in other ARs and I threw it on my lower to test with A5-2 and -0 buffers. We swapped the BCG and it worked fine but I don’t know what the actual problem is, other than that it has to be in the BCG.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWho gave away a franken gun? Gas key was probably crooked or loose.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Wake27
12-24-18, 19:17
Gas key was tight and had decent staking. It was a donation for a raffle within his unit I believe. Looked like assembly was good and I recognized almost all of the parts as being good. Initially, it seemed like a gas issue because it wasn’t ejecting spent cases which is why I played with the buffers. But then after trying for a while it would eject, just not pick up a fresh round.

MistWolf
12-24-18, 19:24
Was a lock back check performed?

Wake27
12-24-18, 19:30
Was a lock back check performed?

No it wasn’t, didn’t think of it for whatever reason.

MistWolf
12-24-18, 19:34
Something I learned the hard way- When shooting any AR for the first time, always start with a lock back check

jackblack73
12-24-18, 19:34
Could it be the gas rings?

MegademiC
12-24-18, 21:15
Something I learned the hard way- When shooting any AR for the first time, always start with a lock back check

This is a good start. Every minute detail of what you saw happening(not what you think, but exactly what happened and when) will help us help you.

Did any empty case stay in chamber, did the bolt get stuck on top of fresh round half in mag or was round free of magazine with bolt over it, was bolt not over the fresh round?... just some examples.

Wake27
12-24-18, 22:36
This is a good start. Every minute detail of what you saw happening(not what you think, but exactly what happened and when) will help us help you.

Did any empty case stay in chamber, did the bolt get stuck on top of fresh round half in mag or was round free of magazine with bolt over it, was bolt not over the fresh round?... just some examples.

There was never any type of double feed, bolt over base, etc. The gun would fire and the trigger would go dead when trying to fire again. Early on the brass would not eject but it seemed to start after about 30 rounds or so. When it did eject, a fresh round would not be chambered but the bolt would be forward. When it didn’t eject, he’d cycle it manually to eject the brass and load a new round.

MistWolf
12-24-18, 23:12
That definitely sounds like short stroking. Verify with a lock back check using full power ammo, then start looking for the leak/blockage .

26 Inf
12-24-18, 23:30
Gas system - gas tube, carrier key, rings, receiver extension, spring, buffer

even though it works with another BCG

do lock back test - with a couple different mags - USGI and poly

check to make sure gas tube is installed correctly into gas block

shotgun upper and remove BCG and charging handle - see if BCG slides onto and off of gas tube, then do it with the charging handle in place

inspect BCG - carrier key, use gravity test for rings

check spring - a to insure it is the correct spring for the RE - carbine should be 10.5"

reinstall buffer and spring, insert BCG and close 'er up, lock action to rear, let bolt go forward - does it go fully into battery - check by pressing forward on the concave portion of the BCG. If it didn't go into battery we need to figure that out

Bring BCG slightly to rear with charging handle, insert index finger and gently ease the BCG forward, then press the charging handle all the way forward. Now, press the BCG all the way to the rear, you are feeling for any binding through out the carrier's rearward travel. At furthest rearward travel, press the bolt catch in and ease the bolt forward, check to make sure the BCG is retained to the rear by the bolt hear, not the carrier.

Due to the fact that I want the thing to function whether it is dry or lubed - I wouldn't lube the BCG as much as I normally do use.

That's all I got, if that doesn't drill down to what is wrong, I cross my hands over my man parts (outside the jeans) and look perplexed.

Circle_10
12-25-18, 06:18
I had a gun shear a gas key screw once and turn into a single shot. I had a thread about it. The key appeared to still be on tight so I didn't think that was the issue but on the recommendation of Iraqgunz I checked the gas key screws more closely and using a Wheeler Fat Wrench to take the screws out determined that one had in fact sheared in half.

I've also heard of popped primers getting stuck in the gas key and causing gas obstructions.

Lincoln7
12-25-18, 07:34
I'd check for gas block alignment and gap between gas block and shoulder on barrel (~.025"?) which accounts for handguard endcaps.

Iraqgunz
12-26-18, 06:15
Don't be surprised if it's the garbage WMD NiB carrier.