PDA

View Full Version : Shield integrated green laser durability?

Bruce in WV
12-26-18, 04:22
What is the history of durability of the integrated CTC green laser on the S&W M&P9 Shield M2.0? Will it perform reliably on a gun shot regularly for training and used for daily carry in a pocket holster?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-m20-integrated-crimson-trace-green-laser

JimmyB62
12-27-18, 11:43
I can’t speak to the Shield but the one on my 380 Bodyguard began working intermittently after a year or so and no more than 500 rounds. I didn’t contact S&W since the laser wasn’t very useful to me. The side switch isn’t really designed to be activated quickly upon draw (unless they’ve changed the design).

Obviously this doesn’t mean they will all have problems. Mine may have been a rare failure.

RHINOWSO
12-27-18, 14:33
Integrated anything is going to be outdated / broken eventually.

556BlackRifle
12-28-18, 20:42
What is the history of durability of the integrated CTC green laser on the S&W M&P9 Shield M2.0? Will it perform reliably on a gun shot regularly for training and used for daily carry in a pocket holster?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-9-shield-m20-integrated-crimson-trace-green-laser

Bruce, I bought one of the red laser units for my wife. She hated it so I've been playing around with it. In my experience, it's been pretty good. I'm not a laser guy but once adjusted it stays on POA vs POI. I've only got about 600ish rounds through it but I've carried it and shot it and it seems to be a good unit. I wouldn't spend full retail on one. If you look there are deals to be found.

Bruce in WV
12-29-18, 07:33
My experience with add-on CTC units in the past is that they replaced a defective unit during the warranty, give you a discount on replacement units after the warranty expires, but that they don’t repair malfumctioning or inop units. I wonder if that means you can’t get an integrated unit repaired after the warranty expires and you’re stuck with a broken unit hanging off the front of the gun.