PDA

View Full Version : First Glock, a G19. What do I need to know?

Johnny Rico
12-26-18, 22:14
After a dozen years of gun ownership, I have finally joined the ranks of Glock owners. I'm a blank slate. Which sources should I study to learn about my new weapon?

LADUNCA
12-26-18, 22:38
Replace the sights with metal sights asap if you are using it for carry. Lube it and don't forget to lube the connector bar. Other than that, treat it like your lawn mower.

El Pistolero
12-27-18, 00:09
Factory extended slide release was a must for me, along with Ameriglo Spartan Operator night sights. Some will advise against this but I also had to drop in a Ghost Edge trigger connector because the stock Glock triggers leave a lot to be desired. I went much further on mine with trigger work but if you're new to the Glock I would go no further than a drop-in trigger connector.

Other than that, stock up on mags and shoot the piss out of it. If you have ejection problems like I did after 3500 rounds through my Gen 4 19 I would recommend the Apex extractor.

Johnny Rico
12-27-18, 00:49
I have three items I'm going to change off the bat. Get rid of the horrendous plastic sights and install Vickers Elite Battlesight. Change out the serrated trigger and put in a smooth G17 OEM trigger. Add a Vickers plug, I need a takedown tool anyways. That's it, I'm not about to start messing with this gun and start swapping parts just to swap parts.

Eurodriver
12-27-18, 01:42
You can start by selling all your other handguns. Consolidate magazines, ammunition. Live simply. Spend more time doing other hobbies or with loved ones.

pag23
12-27-18, 06:26
I have three items I'm going to change off the bat. Get rid of the horrendous plastic sights and install Vickers Elite Battlesight. Change out the serrated trigger and put in a smooth G17 OEM trigger. Add a Vickers plug, I need a takedown tool anyways. That's it, I'm not about to start messing with this gun and start swapping parts just to swap parts.

Agree..sights are the most important upgrade from the stock plastic ones...I would leave everything else alone with regards to internals. Especially if this is a HD or CC gun.

Freewilly5759
12-27-18, 07:41
First thing I always change are the sights then trigger. Everything else like barrel or even slide I’ll change if it it’s a competition gun or for fun. Carry gun i pretty much only change sights and trigger.

ST911
12-27-18, 08:22
Sights, ammo, instruction.

El Pistolero
12-27-18, 08:34
OP the smooth face OEM trigger is a worthy upgrade if you are so inclined to tinker with it. The factory serrated trigger is awful.

Ironbutt
12-27-18, 08:43
Glock's stock sights are just space fillers to keep dust out of the front sight hole & rear sight dovetail until owners can get a real set of sights to install. There are many out there. Pick what suits you. I always put extended slide releases on my Glocks too. Everything else I leave stock.

Chameleox
12-27-18, 09:08

Do these, then figure out if you want a G17 trigger or extended controls.

WRT sights: I agree that the stock plastics are useless, but unless you already know what sights you want based on experience or what you had on a different platform, I honestly recommend leaving them stock until you take a class or meet some other Glock shooters and get to try a couple different designs out. Make an informed choice; don't just buy because some guy with a lot of posts said so.

There are lots of Tupperware bins in basements that are full of blind recommendations. The EE has a lot of them, too. Not trying to be a jerk, but folks offering upgrade advice should qualify their recommendations.

Johnny Rico
12-27-18, 09:49
First time owning a Glock. But I've shot them plenty. Given the popularity of the platform it seems that everyone other than me had one. My cousin performed the G17 trigger upgrade on his Glock, I like it better than the stock unit. And as for the Battlesights, I like plain black sights. Vickers' design seem best in class.

That's it though. I don't intend to monkey around with this pistol, I'm going to shoot it stock as much as I can.

Any tips on maintenance schedules?

Failure2Stop
12-27-18, 09:54
You can learn from YouTube how to completely tear down the entire pistol with nothing more than a punch. Super easy.
The 25 cent trigger job is generally worth it, but basically just gets you a cleaner trigger, as would happen after a few thousand dry-fire or live-fire cycles.
The MagPul mags have been good to me.
There are some decent bolt-on magwell options if you want to go that way, but not really a necessity.
Some folks like extended slide releases, I am not one of them, as a high aggressive grip with medium or larger hands will override the release, causing the gun to fail to lock on an empty magazine for me. I don't like that. Some don't care, and some don't have the issue.
When it comes to permanent modification, I like to relieve some of the trigger guard material where it joins the grip, reducing "Glock Knuckle", and making the grip a bit easier to get high on.
The best thing I ever did with any of Glocks was add RMRs. ATEI does a fantastic job of fitting the RMR to the slide cut, and I highly recommend them for that. Forward slide serrations are a nice to have feature if they already have the slide for RMR fitting. I was on the fence about mini-red dots on pistols, but once I made the leap on the first one, I am now completely disinterested in standard sights other than specific skill-building exercises.

AndyLate
12-27-18, 10:41
I cannot stand the serrated triggers on the G19/G23 pistols, so the G17 trigger was a no brainer to me (but is a preference, not a necessity).

The trigger smooths a lot with shooting and the stock pull weight is reasonable. If you are using the gun for competition, I guess that's different.

The great thing about the Glocks is the broad range of holsters and other accessories that are available.

I would definitely say make the modest changes you plan and shoot it a lot before making any others.

Nightstalker865
12-27-18, 16:31
You can start by selling all your other handguns. Consolidate magazines, ammunition. Live simply. Spend more time doing other hobbies or with loved ones.

You might be on to something here. I’ve been considering scaling back my collection significantly over the past couple months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jsbhike
12-27-18, 16:47
The MagPul mags have been good to me.

I have with 15 and 17 rd PMAGS, but not as much with the 21rds in the G19. Considering it only happened during longer strings of fire in matches, but never during practice where I was really focused on what was happening, I assume I was getting just enough hand on the 21 magazine to screw up the feed angle and not an inherent issue with the magazine.

Had good luck with ETS magazines also. Did not have good luck with Winchester Forged steel case 9mm in either magazine which seems to be common.

Heresy, but I have never had a malfunction with a single KCI branded 15 round magazine I have used for years. Finally picked up a few more at Knob Creek along with one non KCI Korean mag, but haven't tried the new ones yet.

Uni-Vibe
12-27-18, 17:10
Trade it for a M&P while it's still new.

Doc Safari
12-27-18, 17:13
Start saving your money for more of them as you become hooked.

RHINOWSO
12-27-18, 17:17
While Magpul Glock mags have been fine with brass, they eventually starting causing failures with steel cased ammo - it would take seconds (yes, seconds) for follow on rounds to feed into position.

If you buy in bulk, you can get ten OEM G19 or G17 mags from Brownells for around $17.50 shipped ($189.99 normal price, wait for a $10-20 off or 10% off and free shipping).

Norseman
12-27-18, 17:39
You might be on to something here. I’ve been considering scaling back my collection significantly over the past couple months.

You and me both. As interest wanes, the desire to simplify grows.

I am starting to think that Euro might be some kind sage or something.

ETA: If you don't mind some old fashion reading, this isn't a bad read

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-Americas-Paul-M-Barrett-ebook/dp/B004X6PRXC

jpmuscle
12-27-18, 18:53

Gonna second this. Guns are actually kinda lame.

MegademiC
12-27-18, 20:23
After a dozen years of gun ownership, I have finally joined the ranks of Glock owners. I'm a blank slate. Which sources should I study to learn about my new weapon?

Watch a few detail strip vids on youtube to learn how everything fits together/works.
Buy snap caps and use them daily.

Shoot it stock and learn what/if any mods you need.
Glock has huge aftermarket, which is good if you need to change something. But dont buy mods unless you can quantify a reason(ei. Cant reach stock mag release, reloads take 2x longer).

If you have to mod something, stick with Glock factory whenever possible.

People make a big deal about sights, I havent noticed a performance issue outside not being able to see them, so I go for anything with a hi-vis front and tritium front and rear.

T2C
12-27-18, 22:09
Select aftermarket sights that fit your purpose, purchase a pallet of ammunition and seek instruction from a qualified individual.

Failure2Stop
12-28-18, 07:34
Oh, all of my Glocks shoot S&B 124 gr really well.
Pretty much my go-to at this point for training/matches.
HST 147gr for carry purposes.

Achilles11B
12-28-18, 08:53
There’s no need to go wild with mods. Find the sights that work best for you and train, train, train.

Pacific5th
12-28-18, 14:57
I just put Ameriglo Hackathorn sites on mine. Really like those. The only other thing I have done is a Magpul magwell, and only cause I needed another $20 on a order to get free shipping and a discount or something. Other then that just shoot and clean.

t1tan
12-28-18, 18:00
Get a bunch of mags, pick your sights, get a holster, then change things as you see fit. One of the best upgrades out there right now I'll put on every future Glock is the Kagwerks slide stop, although everything is pretty much subjective when it comes to Glocks.

I'm to the point I've owned enough Glocks over the years I have them dialed in to get it exactly where I want. Picking up a 45 next week, and I have everything already waiting, I'll strip it down, polish everything with a felt wheel, swap trigger shoes(SSVI Tyr), put in a reduced power striker safety spring, swap connector for a rolling break(Ghost Pro), Gadget, extended magazine catch(OEM) and in this case a barrel/comp(Mayhem MK2), it'll get a Kagwerks slide stop when their Gen 5 model comes out. Each Glock I pick up gets some variation of this, they'll all get red dots and someday go to Boresight, but as far as parts and feel, this is what I like.

556BlackRifle
12-28-18, 20:33

Which generation are you getting? Gen3, Gen4, Gen5? They're all G2G but advice may vary slightly depending upon which Gen you have.

I agree that a good set of sights are a must. My favorites are Trijicon HDs and Ameriglo CAP or Agent sights. I personally prefer big dot front sights because I can pick them up much faster.

If it's a serrated trigger model, I'd upgrade to a smooth trigger.

If you have a Gen4 or 5 I'd also install an extended mag catch. I don't like the Gen 3 version and would pass on it.

I personally like the Glock extended slide stop levers.

Keep in mind that there are variations on certain parts between the generations. Feel free to ask before you buy.

Johnny Rico
12-29-18, 01:19
Which generation are you getting? Gen3, Gen4, Gen5? They're all G2G but advice may vary slightly depending upon which Gen you have.

I agree that a good set of sights are a must. My favorites are Trijicon HDs and Ameriglo CAP or Agent sights. I personally prefer big dot front sights because I can pick them up much faster.

If it's a serrated trigger model, I'd upgrade to a smooth trigger.

If you have a Gen4 or 5 I'd also install an extended mag catch. I don't like the Gen 3 version and would pass on it.

I personally like the Glock extended slide stop levers.

Keep in mind that there are variations on certain parts between the generations. Feel free to ask before you buy.

Ordered and on the way. Mine is a Gen 3, the only one we can readily get here in California. I'm not swapping anything else out for a good long while.

jsbhike
12-29-18, 09:26
While Magpul Glock mags have been fine with brass, they eventually starting causing failures with steel cased ammo - it would take seconds (yes, seconds) for follow on rounds to feed into position.

The Winchester Forged allegedly causes this in most every polymer 9mm magazine. You can hear them start rattling when it loads to the choke point....usually 1/3 to 1/2 full. Haven't tried them on Glock factory mags though.

Several of my ETS magazines will feed them fine, but one won't. Once I found out what was up I could watch the Forged stick. Sometimes they pop loose while feeding, sometimes not. Never can tell if they are binding sides or front to rear.

Vandal
12-29-18, 14:08

I'm quoting this again for posterity. I am one gun away from being nothing but 9mm Glock. 2x G19s, a 19X and a G43 because I need a BUG at work. My G21.4 will be looking for a new home soon.

Get new sights the factory ones work, but there are many better options. Buy mags, Glock and Magpul, and ammo. If you feel fancy go buy a RMR or two, I'm a huge fan.

artoter
12-29-18, 16:23

Be careful while reholstering...watch that trigger. My two Glocks are the only pistols that I really keep eye contact on, while reholstering. :)

JPB
12-29-18, 17:06

This. Leave the trigger alone. I have seven Glocks, all with stock triggers. Learn to shoot it as Gaston intended before deciding if a change is needed. And buy mags and stack 'em deep. They are cheap and abundant right now. They won't always be. I'd buy a good supply of 17 round Glock 17 mags also. They'll also work in your 19, and with +2 floor plates they make nice extended mags for the 19. And then if you ever get a 17/34/19X/45 one day...

Uni-Vibe
12-29-18, 19:40
This. Leave the trigger alone. I have seven Glocks, all with stock triggers. Learn to shoot it as Gaston intended before deciding if a change is needed. And buy mags and stack 'em deep. They are cheap and abundant right now. They won't always be. I'd buy a good supply of 17 round Glock 17 mags also. They'll also work in your 19, and with +2 floor plates they make nice extended mags for the 19. And then if you ever get a 17/34/19X/45 one day...

During the Ban Glock mags sold for $100. Ouch.

JPB
12-30-18, 11:10
During the Ban Glock mags sold for $100. Ouch.

Yeah, and when that dropped in '94 I only had four standard capacity mags for my 19. I was a young enlisted kid a the time and couldn't really afford to get in front of it as everyone was clamoring for mags the prices were sky high. Never again. Prices today are the cheapest I've ever seen them.

davidjinks
12-30-18, 16:45
Read the manual, buy ammo for the range, buy ammo for carry, get a solid holster/mag pouch/belt, shoot a lot, clean it and shoot some more.

cashooter
12-31-18, 00:30
sights more mags you're done

Failure2Stop
12-31-18, 07:32
Be careful while reholstering...watch that trigger. My two Glocks are the only pistols that I really keep eye contact on, while reholstering. :)

I'm a fan of these for carry guns:
https://taudevgroup.myshopify.com/products/striker-control-device

RHINOWSO
12-31-18, 09:41
Yeah, and when that dropped in '94 I only had four standard capacity mags for my 19. I was a young enlisted kid a the time and couldn't really afford to get in front of it as everyone was clamoring for mags the prices were sky high. Never again. Prices today are the cheapest I've ever seen them.

BTDT, I remember being happy to score some Beretta OEM 15rd mags for $45 each at a gun show in '95 and thought it reasonable considering.

We are in the golden era and it won't last forever. Buy em in bulk.

Johnny Rico
12-31-18, 20:04

You and me both. As interest wanes, the desire to simplify grows.

I'm quoting this again for posterity. I am one gun away from being nothing but 9mm Glock.

Y'all are nuts. I understand the logic behind this suggestion, but who wants to be completely utilitarian? Plus, the guns are already paid for.

I'll never sell my Ruger .22 or my two 1911s.

JPB
12-31-18, 21:12
BTDT, I remember being happy to score some Beretta OEM 15rd mags for $45 each at a gun show in '95 and thought it reasonable considering.

We are in the golden era and it won't last forever. Buy em in bulk.

Amen Brother..

DocMaynard
01-13-19, 18:54
I'm a fan of these for carry guns:

I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are of the SCDs. I know it's a contentious topic of preferences but I haven't heard much about how they affect the reliability of the pistol. That said, I did order one over the week since additional safety can't hurt...

t1tan
01-13-19, 19:14
I'm curious as to what people's thoughts are of the SCDs. I know it's a contentious topic of preferences but I haven't heard much about how they affect the reliability of the pistol. That said, I did order one over the week since additional safety can't hurt...

They don't. They're entirely passive, have no ill effect on the pistol, cover more of the back of the slide from intrusion that a stock plate. There really isn't a single negative side to using one. I backed the indiegogo, bought one another for a G43, won another for $1 and just bought a gen 5 for a G45, now with the G43X and G48 coming, I'll need another, I don't have a Glock without one anymore.

Wolfhound86
01-13-19, 19:26

If you buy in bulk, you can get ten OEM G19 or G17 mags from Brownells for around $17.50 shipped ($189.99 normal price, wait for a $10-20 off or 10% off and free shipping).

Last time I checked you couldn’t use coupon codes with Glock products on that site.

Straight Shooter
01-13-19, 19:29

Youll LOVE the Vickers extended slide release..just right. Got one on 3 of mine.

Buncheong
01-13-19, 19:40

Excellent life advice ^

SeriousStudent
01-13-19, 20:31

The SCD or "Gadget" is perfectly safe. I have them on every Glock I own (all nine), and have never had any issues with them whatsoever. Tom Jones is also a member here, but rarely posts. He's a solid guy.

Yeah, I carried a Glock before the SCD was invented. People also drove cars without seatbelts. But now that they exist, why not use them?

And when Jack Leuba takes his time to offer advice, I always STFU and take notes.

Hope that helps.

SeriousStudent
01-13-19, 20:33
They don't. They're entirely passive, have no ill effect on the pistol, cover more of the back of the slide from intrusion that a stock plate. There really isn't a single negative side to using one. I backed the indiegogo, bought one another for a G43, won another for $1 and just bought a gen 5 for a G45, now with the G43X and G48 coming, I'll need another, I don't have a Glock without one anymore.

Yup, agreed.

I have no financial interest whatsoever in the SCD, but recommend them as good insurance. I also put them on all my Glocks.

RWH24
01-13-19, 21:58

Gen 5?

The TD https://dsgarms.com/tdggt-02 For Glock™ Gen4 models (Also fits Gen 5 models 17 & 19) NOT FOR Gen3

DID NOT fit my Gen 5 17 or 19

RWH24
01-13-19, 22:13
Ordered and on the way. Mine is a Gen 3, the only one we can readily get here in California. I'm not swapping anything else out for a good long while.

I have Trijicon HD XR Orange on my 3 M&P's and 2 Glocks. My 17 has the Wilson Combat Paul Howe Signature sights. WC Battlesights rear and an Ameriglo Orange ring NS.

The stock Glock pinches my fat pickle of a finger on the bottom of the trigger guard. Apex Glock Trigger takes care of this.
2 have APEX connector, the 3rd no. Feels good with OEM connector.

Alll of my Newly bought Glocks at Social Security Age, 17, 17, 19x (wife's) and 45.

I have been a S&W, Sig, M&P now GLOCK GEN 5 Only. Easy Peazy to work on.

Congratulations

RWH24
01-13-19, 22:19
https://dsgarms.com/tdvtct-001-blk

Vickers Tactical Glock Gen 3 & 4 Carry Trigger

Features:

Fits all Glock™ Models, for Gen 3-4 Only
Flat face shape allows for proper, accurate trigger press
Injection molded from same material as OEM factory trigger

RHINOWSO
01-14-19, 14:10
Last time I checked you couldn’t use coupon codes with Glock products on that site.
I had them do that once, but every other time (10+) it has allowed them.

Johnny Rico
01-14-19, 14:54
Picked up the G19 last week. A detail strip and a quick polish of the internals to familiarize myself with my new gun. Everything was going well until I tried to put everything back together again. Trigger pin hit a wall and doesn't want to go all the way in. Any ideas or tips on how to solve this problem?

Thanks for the help.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4911/39778518943_ae2be06900_c.jpg

T2C
01-14-19, 15:13
Wiggle the slide stop lever while pressing down on the pin, so it can clear the groove in the pin.

Johnny Rico
01-14-19, 17:49
Was finally able to put the gun together by installing the trigger pin from the opposite side.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4807/46692529472_bfd94d003c_c.jpg

Only a few minor modifications, but I like this pistol much better than in stock configuration.

MWAG19919
01-14-19, 17:57
Replace the factory plastic sights (unless the pistol came with metal sights). I prefer the Vickers extended slide stop lever and extended mag release, but that’s just me.

Shoot it a bunch and don’t worry about the trigger. You can spend hundreds on some very nice trigger kits, but that money is better spent on ammo, mags, holsters, and training.

Johnny Rico
01-14-19, 18:11
Shoot it a bunch and don’t worry about the trigger. You can spend hundreds on some very nice trigger kits, but that money is better spent on ammo, mags, holsters, and training.

Too late. I already spent $15.25 -- $15 for the smooth OEM trigger and 25¢ for the trigger job. A noticeable improvement.

MegademiC
01-14-19, 20:58
Picked up the G19 last week. A detail strip and a quick polish of the internals to familiarize myself with my new gun. Everything was going well until I tried to put everything back together again. Trigger pin hit a wall and doesn't want to go all the way in. Any ideas or tips on how to solve this problem?

Thanks for the help.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4911/39778518943_ae2be06900_c.jpg

I put the top pin in first, then the slide stop, line up the holes, then trigger pin. As said, wiggle the slide stop and the pin should slide right in.

heat-ar
01-16-19, 09:29
Sights of your choice and maybe the minus connector. Leave a glock a glock.

Sam
01-16-19, 10:09
I put the top pin in first, then the slide stop, line up the holes, then trigger pin. As said, wiggle the slide stop and the pin should slide right in.

It's easier if you start the pin on the right and push it right to left, wiggle the slide stop/release to get the pin all the way through.

Johnny Rico
01-17-19, 12:16
OK. Everything's installed. Vickers Battlesight, Pearce plug, G17 OEM trigger. Just a couple of minor modifications to make the gun fit me better. Going to run it this way, if I'm going to gauge the value of the platform I figured it's best to do it in stock form.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4848/45863777165_cdfdbb5b83_c.jpg

MegademiC
01-17-19, 19:26
OK. Everything's installed. Vickers Battlesight, Pearce plug, G17 OEM trigger. Just a couple of minor modifications to make the gun fit me better. Going to run it this way, if I'm going to gauge the value of the platform I figured it's best to do it in stock form.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4848/45863777165_cdfdbb5b83_c.jpg

Good to go, man. Time to wear it out. Dry fire the crap out of it before hitting the range. Glock triggers are different. If you just take one out without practice, it may lead to misguided dissapointment. I wouldnt live fire till you consistently dry fire it without sight movement, and practice presentation to get a “feel” for how it points on target.

Pi3
01-17-19, 20:06

Sound advice. Don't forget the Glock Gadget.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-18-19, 00:03

Load magazine, insert magazine, chamber round, fire in safe direction. Repeat 1000 times. Watch Youtube on how to disassemble and clean said gun. Reassemble. Repeat process.

It's not rocket science...