PDA

View Full Version : Went and did it...M&P45!!

ralph
11-03-08, 20:12
I bought one tonite... included was a rebate cupon for 2 mags or $50 back, I'm going for the mags..I was considering a HK45, But I couldn't find a shop that had one, plus as many here have said that if a parts ban is inacted, I'd be pretty hard to get parts for it or any other pistol made overseas,(that statement made me sit down and think about that) Not to mention HK has a legendary lack of customer service, I also own a Sig p-220, a XD45, 2 -1911's, Don't get me wrong, HK makes nothing but excellant pistols, and I don't know how the M&P would stack up against one, I'm just saying parts could be a problem I'm considering thinning the herd and keeping those .45's that parts can easily be found for, depending on how the M&P shoots.That brings me to some ammo questions I reload, so, will the M&P feed LSWC's?? I usually run 200gr LSWC's in either of my 1911's, Sig with no problems forget the LSWC's in the XD..I'd also like to know of any known problems with these pistols? known parts breakage etc,?? (I haven't been able to find much, if anything). Trigger; I can already see it'll need some work, Reading the 50,000 rnd test, I read of an improved trigger done by S&W, anyone have it done?? cost?? Recoil springs are there replacements available from Wolfe? that is another little annoyance I have with the XD, Mine is a 4" service model with the captive recoil springs when the springs are shot (at about 5000rnds) you replace the whole unit, there are places online to get XD parts besides S.A. but $20.00 apop. One could but several standard recoil springs for that price.. One last question.. What is the estimated service life of the M&P??

HK45
11-03-08, 23:01
HK's U.S. factory just started up. Plus their customer service is much better than it was.

dwhitehorne
11-04-08, 15:21
I haven't found anything online for the 45 recoil spring assemblies. Brownells only lists stuff for the 9mm/40. My recoil spring broke after a few 1000 rounds one coil from the end and still works fine. I found it when cleaning and have no idea when it happened. I just called S&W and asked how to order a new one since I'm not the original owner. The CS rep just asked for my address and said he would mail me one out no charge:D. I've wondered if any of the Lonewolf Glock captured assemblies would work but I haven't found anyone I know with one to try out. David

ralph
11-04-08, 16:37
HK's U.S. factory just started up. Plus their customer service is much better than it was.

Well, that's great, I just hope they don't go down the same road thst Sig has..There seems to be a lot of problems with Sig handguns in the last few years from what I've read here, and elsewhere, The only problem I can see is that German made HK pistols will be touted as "higher quality" and worth more...than their U.S. made counterparts...

DM-SC
11-04-08, 19:03
I really like my M&P45 FS. It's a very nice shooting gun. :cool:

kgreen
11-04-08, 19:54
I have both a fullsize MP 45 and an HK 45. they have both been outstanding pistols. The HK is typical German quality and has run 100%. My MP has also been a very good shooter. You will really enjoy your MP.

RogerinTPA
11-04-08, 20:59
Congrats on your new M&P45 purchase. You are obviously a man of excellent taste! I have the full sized in FDE and love the way it feels and shoots. Sound choice you made.

HK45
11-06-08, 22:43
HK USA and HK Germany are a single entity unlike Sig USA who can do whatever they want here. I think they maintain a tight rein on quality. Anyway enjoy the M&P 45. My favorite is the mid size M&P .45. Gives up nothing to the full size yet is perfect for carry.

Well, that's great, I just hope they don't go down the same road thst Sig has..There seems to be a lot of problems with Sig handguns in the last few years from what I've read here, and elsewhere, The only problem I can see is that German made HK pistols will be touted as "higher quality" and worth more...than their U.S. made counterparts...

Honu
11-07-08, 02:37
boy I have been on the fence on a 45 ?

I used to love HK when I used them in the 80s ? but that was then this is now !!!

I bought a 9MM M&P the other day have to get it out I also own glocks and even had one of the first ones in the country back in the day :)
decided I had to buy one of the M&P and put a few thousand through it to pull me away from the 9MM glocks ?

but part of me loves the feel in the hands of the HK 45 compact

then part of me says I can buy two M&P 45s for the price of a HK and the fact I like to have two of a gun at least ? means I can buy 4 M&P for the price of 2 HK
and if I want at least 10 mags for each gun that is another chunk since the HK mags run so much :)

guess I just answered my own question on which one to get ? but is there any reason somebody can still talk me into a HK over the M&P ?

HK45
11-07-08, 07:47
Not interested in talking you in to anything but it is not accurate that you can buy two M&P's for one HK. CDNN has the HK 45c for around $750. The mags are $44 and are very high quality. The HK is a step up in quality fit, finish, and parts but a step down, maybe several steps, down in customer service over Smith. Not that you are likely to need it. The HK 45 Compact is very well made and very accurate. I shoot no other .45 compact pistol as quickly and accurately.

POF.Ops
11-07-08, 10:03
Congrats on the new pistol, buy them while you still can! I bought my mid-size M&P45 last Monday along with an Insight Procyon light to be used as my nightstand pistol. My only regret is I wish I had gone with the FDE frame instead. It has a nice balance and accuracy, the trigger isn't even that bad. The first 50 rds through it were my own 200gr copper plated SWC bullets. I had one FTF and that was on the first load of a fresh mag using the slide release.