PDA

View Full Version : Nation’s oldest World War II vet dies in Texas at age 112

223to45
12-27-18, 21:18
Remember this guy?

The nation’s oldest living veteran, Richard Overton, has died in a rehab facility*in Austin, Texas.*He was 112 years old.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/nations-oldest-living-veteran-richard-overton-dies-in-austin-at-age-112

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

26 Inf
12-27-18, 21:25
Rest In Peace RO.

A great Veteran and a great Character has passed.

Buckaroo
12-27-18, 21:27
Just saw this, rip Mr Overton your life has been an inspiration!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
12-27-18, 22:14
Rest In Peace sir.

The_War_Wagon
12-27-18, 22:17
Cigars & whiskey to 112 - God bless you!

OH58D
12-27-18, 22:58
God has given this fine gentleman a good long life, and America has been honored to have him this long.

My 96 year old father in law were just talking about Mr. Overton. As I mentioned before, my father in law was with the 1st Inf. Div at Normandy, then the fight thru France, Belgium and into Germany. He was telling me from his recollections that the African American ground troops were segregated, usually in Transportation or Artillery units. He said that racism was common, and from time to time some of these African American soldiers ended up dead, by the hand of other American soldiers.

For Mr. Overton, he had a double dose of hardship, from his military life, but from the built-in racism of the time. This Man had to be of exceptional character to have survived all of this and still kept his love of Country. Some members of the contemporary generation could learn something from the life of Mr. Overton.

SeriousStudent
12-27-18, 23:03
Wishing you fair winds and following seas, Mr Overton. It was a pleasure to sit on your porch and share some Buffalo Trace and a Fuente with you. It was an honor to shake your hand.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-27-18, 23:03
Another victim of alcohol and tobacco

SeriousStudent
12-27-18, 23:12

If smoking cigars and drinking whiskey will allow you to live to be 112, then I'm immortal. :)

He was a good dude, Greg. You would have liked him.

LoboTBL
12-27-18, 23:43
RIP Mr. Overton. It was an honor.

26 Inf
12-28-18, 00:04
God has given this fine gentleman a good long life, and America has been honored to have him this long.

My 96 year old father in law were just talking about Mr. Overton. As I mentioned before, my father in law was with the 1st Inf. Div at Normandy, then the fight thru France, Belgium and into Germany. He was telling me from his recollections that the African American ground troops were segregated, usually in Transportation or Artillery units. He said that racism was common, and from time to time some of these African American soldiers ended up dead, by the hand of other American soldiers.

For Mr. Overton, he had a double dose of hardship, from his military life, but from the built-in racism of the time. This Man had to be of exceptional character to have survived all of this and still kept his love of Country. Some members of the contemporary generation could learn something from the life of Mr. Overton.

Great post.

officerX
12-28-18, 00:21

He was 112 years old!!!

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

SteyrAUG
12-28-18, 03:59

Said it better than me. Hope he gets the respect he's due and Trump needs to mention his name, the words "national hero" and make sure he is honored accordingly. It's the right thing to do and if you are the cynical type it's an "easy win" for Trump but it will be just as easy to F it all up if Trump fails to acknowledge Mr. Overton.

Firefly
12-28-18, 06:25
If I were him, the last thing I would want to die of is old age.

He should’ve pulled a Gran Torino only with more Garandizing.

Or pulled a Sgt. Esterhaus.

WillBrink
12-28-18, 10:54
Remember this guy?

I posted about him just a few weeks ago:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?211527-Old-Living-WWII-veteran-Richard-Overton

RIP sir.

SteyrAUG
12-28-18, 17:16
If I were him, the last thing I would want to die of is old age.

He should’ve pulled a Gran Torino only with more Garandizing.

Or pulled a Sgt. Esterhaus.

I'm sure he's seen and done enough, I hope he got the peaceful passing he deserved.

ABNAK
12-28-18, 17:38
One of my patients was born the year the Titanic sank.....1912 (yeah, he's still kicking). Men like Mr. Overton and my guy boggle the mind. Just think of the history they lived, stuff we only read about.

I have some decent bourbon that I will toast to Mr. Overton this evening.

Averageman
12-28-18, 18:14
One of my patients was born the year the Titanic sank.....1912 (yeah, he's still kicking). Men like Mr. Overton and my guy boggle the mind. Just think of the history they lived, stuff we only read about.
Speaking of such,
My Grandmother was a great narrator of our family history, She was a really sweet Lady, daughter of a Tavern owner, brewer and distiller of spirits in the late 1800's.
I remember hearing her tell me about things like walking her two Sons and her Son in Law to the Bus to go in the Military in WWII. My Dad being a "Change of Life" baby was carried by my Grandma and my Aunt while his Brothers and Brother in Law went on to be a sonar operator, a paratrooper and a gunners mate.
She explained to me while Neil Armstrong was walking on the Moon, that Orville and Wilbur hadn't flown at Kittyhawk when she was a child.
She had stories of her adventures at bootlegging during Prohibition.
My Uncles could tell you about carrying supplies to her still while walking in the creek water so they didn't leave a trail. She could tell you how foggy nights were best for a run because the smell of grain cooking didn't travel so far.
I would have enjoyed splitting a bottle of good whiskey with Mr Overton, maybe a few cigars and some great conversation I'm sure. His stories would have been enlightening and I'm sure very enjoyable.

SeriousStudent
12-28-18, 19:00
Averageman, I would have enjoying pouring a glass with your grandmother. It would have been something else, to listen to her talk about history before our times.

Christmas Eve I was at a party are a friends house. His father-in-law is in his 90's, and is a retired SAC B-52 pilot from the 1950's.

We had a blast, drinking some great Bourbon I brought, and him telling me about his experiences. He's a terrific fellow, and I love hunting down history books for him. After he reads them, we discuss his input on those events as he saw them unfold.

I'd have loved to listen to your Grandmother talk about Prohibition.

titsonritz
12-28-18, 19:23
R.I.P. sir.

Whiskey_Bravo
12-29-18, 00:43
RIP sir. A long and meaningful life that touched many. I have been taking his health advice to heart for many years now. Good whiskey and cigars are hard to beat.