PDA

View Full Version : Glock Night Sights: Ameriglo Agent vs. Trijicon HD XR

davidjinks
12-29-18, 18:08
I understand sights are a subjective thing. Everyone has their likes and dislikes.

I’ve noticed, as I’m getting older, my eyes seem to be changing a bit. I’m having slight difficulty staying focused on the front sight.

When I had my Gen 5 Glocks they had the Agent sights on them. I felt they did a pretty good job of drawing my eye to the front sight and keeping my focus on that. Currently I have the standard Glock NS on 2 of my pistols. The other 2 have the standard plastic sights. All 4 are Gen 4 Glocks.

I will say that I really like the standard Glock sights. The large white dot really draws my eye to it. I have a couple sets of the steel sights.

Do the trijicons have a brighter, larger front site compared to the Agents?

Currently the Agent sights only come in orange. The trijicons have orange, green and yellow. Is there any preferance in color?

Any other advice is welcome.

FlyingHunter
12-29-18, 19:23
Good luck finding the right sights. I had to go to the RMR. My groups both close range and extended really improved. Draw to hit times improved as well. Every traditional sight i tried was fuzzy once I hit my mid 40's. I guess, in many respects, we are fortunate to live long enough to encounter this challenge.

ST911
12-29-18, 19:54
Agents are available in green, I just got some Brownells. I prefer and use mostly orange, but green is fine. I also prefer the U notch to square. I shoot the front dot for speed and the tip for precision. I find lighting and target contrast are much more significant variables than dot color.

jsbhike
12-29-18, 20:48
I went with lumigreen protectors.

davidjinks
12-29-18, 21:03
Thank you for the heads up on that!

I’ve never used green but I may try them out.

I fully agree with you about lighting and target contrast. That’s why I’m hoping there is a bright(er) front sight.

Agents are available in green, I just got some Brownells. I prefer and use mostly orange, but green is fine. I also prefer the U notch to square. I shoot the front dot for speed and the tip for precision. I find lighting and target contrast are much more significant variables than dot color.

davidjinks
12-29-18, 21:04
I’m still doing a lot of reading about the RMR. May be my next step if different sights don’t work out for.

Good luck finding the right sights. I had to go to the RMR. My groups both close range and extended really improved. Draw to hit times improved as well. Every traditional sight i tried was fuzzy once I hit my mid 40's. I guess, in many respects, we are fortunate to live long enough to encounter this challenge.

Furbyballer
12-30-18, 10:00
I would never recommend the trijicon hd xrs for glock. Not a single load I tried had poa poi past 7 yds. I had a 12 o'clock hold at 7 yds. How do you **** up the math that bad trijicon?

I swapped to ameriglo and havent had a single problem since.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dr. Bullseye
12-30-18, 11:10
Ameriglo sent me absolutely DEAD tritium (2) for my AR rear peep. I didn't even bother to complain, just replaced with Trijicon.

Texaspoff
12-30-18, 15:38
I have used Ameriglo and Trijicon and just about every other sight out there. My preference is for the Ameriglo agent sights, but I do replace the orange with the Yellow/Green one. Ameriglo has always been outstanding when dealing with them, have known the owner for years. Recently Trijicon bought them out, so I am interested to see where they go from here.

FWIW the 5th gen Ameriglo sights seem to be regulated a bit low for most with the .200 front sight they come with. When changing mine to yellow/green, I also change to a .180 front which results in a 6 o clock hold on all my 5th Gen glocks including the 19X and G45s'.

TXPO

davidjinks
12-30-18, 16:41
Do you feel that the yellow/green sight catches your eyes better vs. the orange?

I didn’t know that trijicon bought out Ameriglo. I’m also curious as to how that’s going to work out for them.

I have used Ameriglo and Trijicon and just about every other sight out there. My preference is for the Ameriglo agent sights, but I do replace the orange with the Yellow/Green one. Ameriglo has always been outstanding when dealing with them, have known the owner for years. Recently Trijicon bought them out, so I am interested to see where they go from here.

FWIW the 5th gen Ameriglo sights seem to be regulated a bit low for most with the .200 front sight they come with. When changing mine to yellow/green, I also change to a .180 front which results in a 6 o clock hold on all my 5th Gen glocks including the 19X and G45s'.

TXPO

jsbhike
12-30-18, 21:59
I went with Lumigreen going on the assumption it would reflect more light/be higher viz than the Orange would. So far no complaints.

cashooter
12-31-18, 00:26
I went with the Ameriglos. I' really happy with them and they were really inexpensive.

Texaspoff
12-31-18, 13:17
Do you feel that the yellow/green sight catches your eyes better vs. the orange?

I didn’t know that trijicon bought out Ameriglo. I’m also curious as to how that’s going to work out for them.

I find the green/yellow stands out better against items that I may be targeting, IE different color clothing. I also ted to have a sharper focus on the yellow/green. The red orange tends to wash out for me now especially with my aging eyes. :(

TXPO

davidjinks
12-31-18, 22:43
Thanks brother I appreciate your feedback! I’m in the same boat as you. The orange type front sight doesn’t catch my eye.

I find the green/yellow stands out better against items that I may be targeting, IE different color clothing. I also ted to have a sharper focus on the yellow/green. The red orange tends to wash out for me now especially with my aging eyes. :(

TXPO

MStarmer
01-05-19, 15:59
I collect and try just about every sight out there for the fun of it. I find too (50 here) that my eyes aren't what they used to be. The luminescent dots on the Ameriglo and HD sights do make for an easier time. The biggest complaint with Trijicon for me that's mirrored on here often is 1) the price and 2) freaking sharp! Ameriglo hits the sweet spot on price and you can get great deals if you shop around, personally I almost always buy from Optics Planet and find a 10-12% off coupon. I've literally put on dozens of these for folks at work. Mostly Hackathorns as I can usually get them for around $60-$65 shipped and it's a cost effective upgrade for someone who doesn't want to pay $125-$150 for a set of HD's.

For me personally I like the orange dot but have the green on an RMR'd gun for some contrast. But they both are a huge upgrade. I find the stock night sights have too much glare from the sapphire inserts for my taste. The rears on the Ameriglo are very forgiving for carry and still do a great job, plus you get the choice of no dot, single dot or two. Square notch or "U". Never had a problem with customer service with Ameriglo, in fact they've been very pleasant. I've deal with Rick the owner on several occasions and was a little sad to see them get bought out by Trijicon. But we'll see how it pans out.

Here's a few views of the different ones.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/893/41414615071_b148b26e97_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/266EJcr)Sights (https://flic.kr/p/266EJcr) by Michael Starmer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156641484@N07/), on Flickr
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/933/28817429157_72589bddac_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/KUuRGR)fullsizeoutput_19a (https://flic.kr/p/KUuRGR) by Michael Starmer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156641484@N07/), on Flickr

RetroRevolver77
01-05-19, 16:55
deleted.

SiGfever
01-05-19, 19:38

TXPO

Same here, I run Trijicon HD "Lime" front on my EDC. I also have an Ameriglo "Proglo" orange on my G19 and I do not do as well with it.

davidjinks
01-06-19, 16:34
Excellent post, thank you very much!

I collect and try just about every sight out there for the fun of it. I find too (50 here) that my eyes aren't what they used to be. The luminescent dots on the Ameriglo and HD sights do make for an easier time. The biggest complaint with Trijicon for me that's mirrored on here often is 1) the price and 2) freaking sharp! Ameriglo hits the sweet spot on price and you can get great deals if you shop around, personally I almost always buy from Optics Planet and find a 10-12% off coupon. I've literally put on dozens of these for folks at work. Mostly Hackathorns as I can usually get them for around $60-$65 shipped and it's a cost effective upgrade for someone who doesn't want to pay $125-$150 for a set of HD's.

For me personally I like the orange dot but have the green on an RMR'd gun for some contrast. But they both are a huge upgrade. I find the stock night sights have too much glare from the sapphire inserts for my taste. The rears on the Ameriglo are very forgiving for carry and still do a great job, plus you get the choice of no dot, single dot or two. Square notch or "U". Never had a problem with customer service with Ameriglo, in fact they've been very pleasant. I've deal with Rick the owner on several occasions and was a little sad to see them get bought out by Trijicon. But we'll see how it pans out.

Here's a few views of the different ones.

MStarmer
01-06-19, 18:30
Excellent post, thank you very much!

No prob!

Straight Shooter
01-06-19, 18:49
Ive used Ameriglo CAP's in photoluminesenct lime green for Id guess a decade now, on several different Glocks-soon to be on my Shield.
These have been great sights- I can shoot very tight groups out past 25 yards, and make hits on steel at 50 yards and more. Now that theyve got thinner front sights available, that might suit more people.
They really pop at night, and if you "shine them up" for about 10 seconds or so, the really, really pop. The green doesnt wash out for me, and Ive got as bad a set of eyes as anyone here. I cannot stand red or orange sights, even as a young un..the red ramps on the old S&W revolvers used to piss me off. Ill take black, or white over red/orange any day, all day.
Id like to try a U notch one day, that seems interesting. One more thing I like about the CAP's, is the front sight can act kinda like a Big Dot sight. Use the center for POA impact, and the top of the front sight for longer range.
I cannot see ever using an RMR or any electronic sight..cannot see how they are as fast or faster than irons. Ive not used one at all, so Im open to the fact I might be wrong..but Id have to use one long enough to see for myself.

davidjinks
01-16-19, 19:54
Thanks for all the replies everyone, much appreciated!

RWH24
01-19-19, 15:38
I just put a set of Wilson Combat Battlesights used on the Paul Howe signature Glock 19 Gen 4. Black rear and Orange Ameriglo front.
Really like the U rear notch and thinner front sight blade. I installed them on my G17 Gen 5 and have not confirmed POA/POI at the range.
Had Ameriglo BOLD on my G19 G5. Did not care for them. May try the Agents from Brownells for Gen 5 Glocks.
I have HD/XR Orange on my M&P''s which I like very well.

01-24-19, 04:29
I’ve tried the HD’s (on a G19.3 and several other non-Glock guns) and the Agents (on G19.4, G19.4 grip chop, G26.4, G42). I settled on the Agents and will put them on all my Glocks that don’t have FO or optics.

The HD’s are very fast up close, but the front sight and rear notch are very large. I lost some precision when shooting past 10 yds.They are also very sharp and have a sharp undercut in the rear.

No such problem with the Ameriglo Agents. They are slightly less precise than some sights, but not so much so that I notice in actual practice. And they bring a lot to the table vs the stock plastic sights.

Everything I read about the HD XR’s has made me avoid them. POI issues seem to be the norm (on the internet, at least). Also, it appears they use a narrower front sight than the regular HD’s like the Agents, but the U notch does’t match the front very well.

Burning Love
01-24-19, 14:44
Gonna have to try a set of Agents on my new 17 I just picked up

davidjinks
01-25-19, 10:03
What color front sight did you go with?

I’ve tried the HD’s (on a G19.3 and several other non-Glock guns) and the Agents (on G19.4, G19.4 grip chop, G26.4, G42). I settled on the Agents and will put them on all my Glocks that don’t have FO or optics.

The HD’s are very fast up close, but the front sight and rear notch are very large. I lost some precision when shooting past 10 yds.They are also very sharp and have a sharp undercut in the rear.

No such problem with the Ameriglo Agents. They are slightly less precise than some sights, but not so much so that I notice in actual practice. And they bring a lot to the table vs the stock plastic sights.

Everything I read about the HD XR’s has made me avoid them. POI issues seem to be the norm (on the internet, at least). Also, it appears they use a narrower front sight than the regular HD’s like the Agents, but the U notch does’t match the front very well.

01-25-19, 13:58
What color front sight did you go with?

Orange.

RWH24
01-26-19, 15:05
I just purchased a set of Ameriglo GL-847's. Coming Monday. AGENT U notch rear and a .125" wide orange front sight. Regular AGENT frt sights are .144" wide.
Will check and see if there is a difference between these and the HD/XR's I have been using. XR's are the narrow frt sight version of HD's.

davidjinks
02-03-19, 15:34
Well I just picked up a new Glock 45 9MM. They came with the Ameriglo Agent sights in orange. Maybe it’s me but comparing them to my wife’s Gen 5 Glock 17 with the exact same sights, my front sight seems to be a lighter/brighter shade of orange whereas the Glock 17 seems to be a darker shade of orange.

I’m going to order a green front sight and experiment.

I greatly appreciate all the help and advice!

MStarmer
02-03-19, 17:44
I have a half dozen of those front's and don't really notice any difference in color. The yellow/green is a pretty different contrast for both. Here's a set of bold's on my Gen 4, they use a slightly thinner front than the gen 5 sights.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7828/33100160708_55205e698c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/SqWYA1)20170702-DSC_2103-2 (https://flic.kr/p/SqWYA1) by Michael Starmer (https://www.flickr.com/photos/156641484@N07/), on Flickr