PDA

View Full Version : Parkland Event, THE comprehensive report

WillBrink
12-30-18, 09:07
This the most comprehensive report available to the public on the Parkland event I'm aware of. Time lines, vids, 911 calls, maps, all of it. However FUBAR you may think it was, it was worse then that. The opportunities to stop that kid before it ever started, and or, greatly reduce the death toll, missed by the staff and LE, is staggering.

A must read:

Two decades after Columbine and five years after Sandy Hook, educators and police still weren’t ready for Parkland.

http://projects.sun-sentinel.com/2018/sfl-parkland-school-shooting-critical-moments/?fbclid=IwAR3oxo3oYJfJiirxjgkJdJASVtfiJiJ97RqQ5XwWUyVVJV7cn1nFCGF4mLI

flenna
12-30-18, 09:50
This the most comprehensive report available to the public on the Parkland event I'm aware of. Time lines, vids, 911 calls, maps, all of it. However FUBAR you may think it was, it was worse then that. The opportunities to stop that kid before it ever started, and or, greatly reduce the death toll, missed by the staff and LE, is staggering.

A must read:

Two decades after Columbine and five years after Sandy Hook, educators and police still weren’t ready for Parkland.

http://projects.sun-sentinel.com/2018/sfl-parkland-school-shooting-critical-moments/?fbclid=IwAR3oxo3oYJfJiirxjgkJdJASVtfiJiJ97RqQ5XwWUyVVJV7cn1nFCGF4mLI

The only issue I see is that the people who really need to read this report will not because it, the truth, does not support their disarmament agenda.

WillBrink
12-30-18, 10:16
The only issue I see is that the people who really need to read this report will not because it, the truth, does not support their disarmament agenda.

Agreed. I have never seen a better example of the futility of gun free zones, relying solely on LE, etc than this event. At no time did the shooter face any resistance at all. He simply ran out of ammo, and walked out of the school. The school staff aside, the level of fail from the top down by that PD borders on criminal negligence, but I know that will never happen. Best we will see may be a house cleaning of the PD, and a focus on the tool used and the NRA.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-30-18, 11:30
Just reading it now but I'd like to point out Chris Hixon, and athletic director and campus monitor that was unarmed and charged Cruz down a hall way and paid for it with his life.

flenna
12-30-18, 11:55
Something else bizarre is that idiot Peterson getting on the radio and telling other officers to stay back 500 feet.

Averageman
12-30-18, 12:06
The tragedy of someone observing this guy coming on to campus with a rifle case and essentially doing nothing about it allowed this to happen.
So you've got an armed shooter with a cased rifle coming on to a "Gun Free Zone" with no security or no one willing to enforce the security policies in place. It's honestly surprising we haven't had more of this.

Vandal
12-30-18, 14:07
I put this up in the other Parkland thread yesterday and feels it should be mentioned here too.

The Sun Sentinel dropped this gem today. Sheriff Scott Israel: Big Talker, Disasterous Response In Parkland Shooting (https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-ne-sheriff-scott-israel-parkland-leadership-20181213-story.html?fbclid=IwAR1C8pFf6LKThIhMiqWsq5sm-T7x6Ea76ltvNbh0vGx7K9xhMWCktbVESIU)

TLDR version: The Sheriff still believes that he and his agency really did nothing wrong both at Parkland and the airport shooting event that preceded it. He constantly passes off the blame to deputies on scene, accepting no responsibility himself.

"As I’ve said before, I’ve done nothing wrong,” he said. “I’m not considering resigning or anything like that. I will remain the sheriff as long as the people of Broward County want me.”" - BSO Sheriff Scott Israel.

Vandal
12-30-18, 14:08
I also have difficulty wrapping my mind around the multiple times this could have been stopped starting with he first useless "security" sighting of the shooter walking onto campus with a rifle bag. No one said a damn thing to anyone else even though they called him the "crazy kid" and seemed to know of his history there.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-30-18, 14:48
Just started reading it, but they don't even go over all the police calls to his house and the other disciplinary actions at school. What a complete cock-up.

Peterson is an un-indicted co-conspirator in this.

sundance435
01-02-19, 11:47
The tragedy of someone observing this guy coming on to campus with a rifle case and essentially doing nothing about it allowed this to happen.
So you've got an armed shooter with a cased rifle coming on to a "Gun Free Zone" with no security or no one willing to enforce the security policies in place. It's honestly surprising we haven't had more of this.

It's insane, but people actually believe "gun-free zones" are exactly that - there's no other rational explanation for it. It's one thing to see him with a rifle case (and, honestly, how many "average" people would recognize it as such), it's another to comprehend that someone could actually bring a gun into a place you've declared "gun free". It's all part of the growing disconnect between being ultimately responsible for one's own safety and the idea that laws alone can protect us.

Just started reading it, but they don't even go over all the police calls to his house and the other disciplinary actions at school. What a complete cock-up.

Peterson is an un-indicted co-conspirator in this.

Peterson gets called out in the report for not recognizing the warning signs, in addition to him being assigned as SRO for a decade plus. Not having meaningful training/experience with the law enforcement aspect of a SRO can make someone go soft - add to this that many of the deputies interviewed don't recall ever receiving active-shooter training. When I was in LE, the SRO jobs went to the guys at the end of their career because it was seen as an easy gig to wile away their last few years. It's just dumb-luck that something didn't happen at any of those places, because those guys would've been just short of useless (the ones I knew). I certainly hope that's changed elsewhere, though it clearly didn't in Broward.

Firefly
01-02-19, 12:06
I dunno. I know a few SROs who did it almost complementary to their gang enforcement assignments. In fact, it was a coveted position because you got bankers hours and could still do self initiated activity, plus court pay.
Granted this is not universal, but those officers tended to excel.

It’s not just having an officer, it is having a driven officer. Which is why patrol is such a good gauge of character. The people who cut a few tickets and dodge calls...meh whatever.

The guys who make cases and get something...some incentive and recognition keeps them motivated.

Like...anybody can have a bad day and talk mess but if it is a glorified babysitting job then just go post up on an interstate and hassle folks late to work.

But if you are looking at it like you want to know your kids and protect that damn school like it was your daughters cherry and you would have to die in a pile of hot brass after and only after knowing you pink misted columbine kid; then yeah you can be an SRO

lowprone
01-02-19, 12:29
Comprehensive .... definitely, Damming...... absolutely !!!

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-02-19, 12:48
But look for articles on Parkland and all you’ll find is Louis CK hits...

Averageman
01-02-19, 14:33
But look for articles on Parkland and all you’ll find is Louis CK hits...
The article might need to be read at your local School Board and PTA Meeting, that might make an impression at a local level that will likely institute some change in your area.
The problem seems to be getting the message out from anyone outside of the MSM who will and have slanted this event as an excuse to be anti-gun. Without people having access to factual articles like this the factual results are meaningless as they will simply be ignored.

BTW if you look at what Louis CK had to say, some of it was pretty damned relevant.

morbidbattlecry
01-02-19, 18:18
How do some of these people live with themselves after turning away and doing nothing? I'd rather die trying then live with the shame i would inevitably have.

hotrodder636
01-02-19, 18:24
Interesting read, thank you Will for sharing.

glocktogo
01-02-19, 22:42
How do some of these people live with themselves after turning away and doing nothing? I'd rather die trying then live with the shame i would inevitably have.

I haven’t read that any of them have taken a boat ride to the other side, so I can only assume they don’t have much of a conscience left. I can’t comprehend how I’d live with myself if I were them. :(

flenna
01-03-19, 06:47

Because society as a whole has abandoned morality. In the absence of morality we get school kids shooting their classmates and LEO's refusing to stop them (since they are not "legally" obligated to do so).

sundance435
01-03-19, 08:28
I haven’t read that any of them have taken a boat ride to the other side, so I can only assume they don’t have much of a conscience left. I can’t comprehend how I’d live with myself if I were them. :(

Someone did an interview with Peterson a few months after Parkland and I don't recall that he directly took any blame upon himself, but his wife said he kept reliving it, wondering what he could've done differently; ummm, pretty much anything/everything. If that didn't cause him to transition himself over to the other side, then nothing will.

Firefly
01-03-19, 11:01
I doubt very much he "relives" anything.

Sam
01-03-19, 12:39
This has been out a few days, the public safety commission that investigated the massacre came out with their recommendation that teachers be armed !

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wake-parkland-shooting-safety-commission-backs-recommendation-arm-teachers-florida-n954281

docsherm
01-03-19, 13:02
This has been out a few days, the public safety commission that investigated the massacre came out with their recommendation that teachers be armed !

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wake-parkland-shooting-safety-commission-backs-recommendation-arm-teachers-florida-n954281

Well that is going to go over like a fart in an elevator. There will be some crying on the left.

glocktogo
01-03-19, 13:56
Well that is going to go over like a fart in an elevator. There will be some crying on the left.

I haven't heard a peep about the recommendation on the MSM. I'm sure some have covered it? I just haven't seen it.

Edit: Not exactly a major outlet unless you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/01/03/parkland-school-shooting-panel-backs-arming-teachers-rips-deputies/2470703002/

Bulletdog
01-03-19, 14:46
I just can't understand the mental disconnect of people who don't want willing, fully trained, background checked, licensed and qualified adults on a school campus to carry a gun on their person, but are totally fine with a kid straight out of the academy with minimal training coming to the rescue, after the fact, and bringing his gun to the party. Why is one trained, background checked, licensed carrier of a gun okay, and the other is not? Makes no sense. A couple of friends went into the academy after high school. A few years later, they have a fraction of the interest, training and practice that I have, yet society is almost universally okay with them carrying a gun around daily, while a large percentage of society is not okay with me carrying a gun around daily.

I don't want to force anyone to carry a gun, but any teacher or school employee that wants to get trained and checked out is welcomed at my daughter's school.

Further, if I roll up to my kid's school and hear shooting inside, the entire police force couldn't keep me from running in. They'd have to shoot me in the back as I ran into the school. RSO Peterson should be ashamed for his cowardice, and I'd make it my mission to ridicule him if my kid was in that school. You don't want to get shot at? Don't take that job.

flenna
01-03-19, 17:17
I just can't understand the mental disconnect of people who don't want willing, fully trained, background checked, licensed and qualified adults on a school campus to carry a gun on their person

Remember, liberalism is a mental disorder. Facts and logic do not enter their narrow minds.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-03-19, 18:38
I just can't understand the mental disconnect of people who don't want willing, fully trained, background checked, licensed and qualified adults on a school campus to carry a gun on their person, but are totally fine with a kid straight out of the academy with minimal training coming to the rescue, after the fact, and bringing his gun to the party. Why is one trained, background checked, licensed carrier of a gun okay, and the other is not? Makes no sense. A couple of friends went into the academy after high school. A few years later, they have a fraction of the interest, training and practice that I have, yet society is almost universally okay with them carrying a gun around daily, while a large percentage of society is not okay with me carrying a gun around daily.

I don't want to force anyone to carry a gun, but any teacher or school employee that wants to get trained and checked out is welcomed at my daughter's school.

Duh, guns are bad.

sundance435
01-04-19, 10:42

To use your LE example, it's the same thing they still teach in some form at most academies: When you show up on scene, you've now introduced a gun into a situation, if there wasn't one already. Most CCW'ers don't have any appreciation for this, either. If armed teachers happen, politicians will undoubtedly take the unimaginative route and force teachers into some kind of training similar to basic firearms for LE. All that training does is demonstrate that you can hit a paper target and score X points in a near-vacuum - if you're lucky, you spend an hour or 2 on weapon retention (which isn't even part of the basic firearms for LE in my state - that's taught, if at all, in a different portion of the academy). I have no faith that politicians will require legitimate training tailored to teachers carrying guns in schools. Not to mention, because guverment, but it will have to be broadcast on all wavelengths that the school district is allowing teachers to carry, and students (and other teachers/staff) will know some are carrying, if not whom specifically.

I'm not against the idea of teachers carrying guns, but the level of training I would require them to pass would all but guarantee that very few do it (gun retention, fighting on the ground, yearly or biennial refresher, etc.); otherwise, in my mind, all you've done is introduce a gun into a situation where there might not have been one, with no assurances that the person meant to have it still does after an incident. My reasoning could apply to CCW in general, as well, but I think having guns in schools should elicit special consideration, whereas your right generally to carry a gun in public does not, beyond basic marksmanship, but I digress.

All it will take is one dumbass who drops their gun in the bathroom and NDs or some dumbass who lets themselves get disarmed for this little experiment to end - to the detriment of the rights of all gun owners and CCW'ers. Can you imagine the reaction when the first YouTube video hits of an armed teacher and student ground-fighting?

jsbhike
01-04-19, 12:33
To use your LE example, it's the same thing they still teach in some form at most academies: When you show up on scene, you've now introduced a gun into a situation, if there wasn't one already. Most CCW'ers don't have any appreciation for this, either. If armed teachers happen, politicians will undoubtedly take the unimaginative route and force teachers into some kind of training similar to basic firearms for LE. All that training does is demonstrate that you can hit a paper target and score X points in a near-vacuum - if you're lucky, you spend an hour or 2 on weapon retention (which isn't even part of the basic firearms for LE in my state - that's taught, if at all, in a different portion of the academy). I have no faith that politicians will require legitimate training tailored to teachers carrying guns in schools. Not to mention, because guverment, but it will have to be broadcast on all wavelengths that the school district is allowing teachers to carry, and students (and other teachers/staff) will know some are carrying, if not whom specifically.

I'm not against the idea of teachers carrying guns, but the level of training I would require them to pass would all but guarantee that very few do it (gun retention, fighting on the ground, yearly or biennial refresher, etc.); otherwise, in my mind, all you've done is introduce a gun into a situation where there might not have been one, with no assurances that the person meant to have it still does after an incident. My reasoning could apply to CCW in general, as well, but I think having guns in schools should elicit special consideration, whereas your right generally to carry a gun in public does not, beyond basic marksmanship, but I digress.

All it will take is one dumbass who drops their gun in the bathroom and NDs or some dumbass who lets themselves get disarmed for this little experiment to end - to the detriment of the rights of all gun owners and CCW'ers. Can you imagine the reaction when the first YouTube video hits of an armed teacher and student ground-fighting?

We aren't gaining ground now so 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

LE frequently lose weapons and ND (and I am someone who came within half a doors width of catching one in the chest/face at a private training class) without causing problems for their group so what's another double standard possibility?

And from things I have seen watching LE training events coupled with comments from LE I know plus comments from LE here, often times the training certification is meaningless in terms of proficiency or even safety. Some of the guys I watched were very good, but there were a few who were lucky to hit an 8" plate at 25 yards once out of a 4506 magazine. Super skilled, adequate, or well below anything that could be considered decent all left that day fully armed and with considerably more privileges than very skilled and conscientious non-sworn citizens will ever have.

Ron3
01-04-19, 13:06
After 5 minutes of shooting and killing the shooter was out of adrenaline, his ears were screaming, his gear/rifle felt heavy, and his trigger finger was probably fatigued.

So he quit and went to get a drink.

True story. The Police were "literally" inconsequential and irelavant.

Bulletdog
01-04-19, 14:22

You make some good points, and I share your fantasy about what training ought to be for anyone carrying concealed, teacher or not. However, the question still remains: Do we want teachers armed or not? In the real world, the amount of training that you and I might deem necessary will probably not be required, so do you want some of the interested teachers in your kid's school to have the option of a fighting chance, or are we better off making sure that the gun free zones are maintained, no guns are "introduced" into a school situation, and all of our students, teachers and faculty are sitting ducks, while the RSO and local police fiddle fart around outside the school as our children are murdered inside?

You can probably tell where I stand by the wording of my question...

Bulletdog
01-04-19, 14:30
We aren't gaining ground now so 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.

LE frequently lose weapons and ND (and I am someone who came within half a doors width of catching one in the chest/face at a private training class) without causing problems for their group so what's another double standard possibility?

And from things I have seen watching LE training events coupled with comments from LE I know plus comments from LE here, often times the training certification is meaningless in terms of proficiency or even safety. Some of the guys I watched were very good, but there were a few who were lucky to hit an 8" plate at 25 yards once out of a 4506 magazine. Super skilled, adequate, or well below anything that could be considered decent all left that day fully armed and with considerably more privileges than very skilled and conscientious non-sworn citizens will ever have.

Let me start with: I'm in agreement with the gist of your post, and I see it the same way.

I'm reminded of the conversation between Bill O'Reilly and Bob Costas. Essentially, he asked Bob: If cornered in a crowed theater and a mad man starts shooting people, do you want to be armed and have a chance at self-defense, or do you wish to force everyone, except the criminal attacker of course, to be unarmed? The good part starts around 3:45. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSK9i1TUlng

glocktogo
01-04-19, 15:10
Let me start with: I'm in agreement with the gist of your post, and I see it the same way.

I'm reminded of the conversation between Bill O'Reilly and Bob Costas. Essentially, he asked Bob: If cornered in a crowed theater and a mad man starts shooting people, do you want to be armed and have a chance at self-defense, or do you wish to force everyone, except the criminal attacker of course, to be unarmed? The good part starts around 3:45. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSK9i1TUlng

Costas is a willfully ignorant a-hole. O'Reilly is just a pusillanimous pinhead.

Averageman
01-04-19, 15:49

Bob Costas has an amazing level of stupidity that has seldom been achieved in a single lifetime.

sundance435
01-07-19, 09:07
You make some good points, and I share your fantasy about what training ought to be for anyone carrying concealed, teacher or not. However, the question still remains: Do we want teachers armed or not? In the real world, the amount of training that you and I might deem necessary will probably not be required, so do you want some of the interested teachers in your kid's school to have the option of a fighting chance, or are we better off making sure that the gun free zones are maintained, no guns are "introduced" into a school situation, and all of our students, teachers and faculty are sitting ducks, while the RSO and local police fiddle fart around outside the school as our children are murdered inside?

You can probably tell where I stand by the wording of my question...

That's the other side of the internal debate I have with myself - I think everyone should have the means to defend themselves in life-threatening situations. Still, to me, it makes more sense to take steps to "harden" schools first because of (to paraphrase Rummy) the "known-unknowns". You're putting the cart before the horse if you haven't taken legitimate steps to harden the schools first. The most basic step is frequent practice of "Code Red" situations. It's disheartening to think of how many lives might not have been lost if students and staff were familiar with the procedures. Armed teachers should be the absolute last resort in these situations - a teacher should only have to stop an attack with their own gun if various other measures have already failed. Only at the point where you can legitimately and objectively say we've done everything else would I completely support arming teachers...then we can discuss training regimens.

Parkland was such a failure of epic proportions at multiple levels, but I don't think the biggest takeaway is armed teachers. There's too much other low-hanging stuff to address before getting to that point. However, being humans, we will take the path of least resistance and try to fashion a one-size-fits-all solution. It's sad commentary, but most of society are unwilling to take primary responsibility for their own safety, which, in this case, is demanding that schools do more than just arm teachers and to hold them accountable for things like continual training of "Code Red" situations. The report, if anything has just distilled this down to 2 things in the public's mind - a cowardly deputy and armed teachers. There's a ton of actionable information lost outside of those 2 apects.

WillBrink
01-09-19, 07:46
The chips are falling in the right directions at least. There's some confusion, but hopefully this is true:

Broward Sheriff Scott Israel tells staff he’s being suspended over Parkland response

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article224080655.html

VARIABLE9
01-11-19, 13:47
The chips are falling in the right directions at least. There's some confusion, but hopefully this is true:

Broward Sheriff Scott Israel tells staff he’s being suspended over Parkland response

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article224080655.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/us/florida-scott-israel-parkland-suspension/index.html

Vandal
01-11-19, 20:56
From Scott Israel's Facebook page. He still doesn't get it. The guy is so wrapped up in his own delusions that he was a great and wonderful sheriff that he can't recognize his own failures.

TL;DR Version, I'm awesome, guns and NRA bad, orange man bad, going to fight this in court.

I want to extend once again my sympathies to the families of the Parkland victims. I am filled with sorrow for your loss. My family and I continue to keep you in our prayers.

I truly thank my family for their love and support, especially over the past several months. It has meant the world to me.

I extend my thanks to the hardworking men and women of the Broward Sheriff’s Office. The greatest part of this job has been the relationships I have developed both within the agency and in our community. I have met and served with so many wonderful people over the past six years.

And, I thank the citizens of Broward who overwhelmingly reelected me in 2016 as their Sheriff, and for their continuing support. Be assured, I will continue to work with every fiber of my body to protect the public safety of our entire community.

Let me be clear: I wholeheartedly reject the statements in the Governor’s executive order as lacking both legal merit and a valid factual basis. There was no wrongdoing on my part.

False narratives may continue – but, in court, only the facts matter. I intend to vigorously fight this unjustified suspension both in court and before the Florida Senate.

The suspension is not about what occurred on February 14th. The Governor promised – as a candidate – well before he had any facts and before the MSD Commission even began their work – that he would remove me from office. Today he fulfilled his campaign promise. The suspension is about politics. Pure and simple. Neither the Governor nor anyone on his staff has ever spoken with me, nor asked me to help him understand our Parkland tragedy.

And now, the National Rifle Association controls the Governor’s actions – and is trying to control law enforcement in Broward County.

I understand it is easier to say “Suspend Sheriff Israel” than it is to address the real problem of gun violence.
No one was suspended after the Pulse shooting. No one was suspended after the 2013 mass shooting at an apartment complex in Miami-Dade County. And no one was suspended after the 2017 mass shooting at an Orlando factory.

The only difference is that I spoke out about gun violence. I have always been a strong voice against open carry and for responsible and tougher gun laws.

Let’s understand this suspension for what it really is: a massive political power grab by the governor to subvert the will of our Broward County voters.

As outlined in the letter I sent to the chairman of the MSD Commission a few weeks ago, in the aftermath of the MSD shooting, our agency immediately began to implement changes to make Broward County safer and BSO better.

But as I said before, these mass attacks will only stop when we address our nation’s gun violence problems.
The question is: how does my removal address any of this? And the answer is clear: it does not.

During the past six years, we created specialized units utilizing intelligence-led policing which brought down violent crime and significantly reduced burglaries.
We worked to expand the juvenile civil citation program to ensure minor, non-violent offenses would not ruin a young person’s future. And, working with other government partners, we saw a decrease in juvenile crime rates.
We worked to help the homeless and mentally ill. Our crisis intervention training became a priority. We helped distribute more than four million pounds of food to Broward families in need. We brought body cameras to the agency to make our deputies safer and to provide the public with transparency and accountability.

And I’m proud that BSO now reflects the diversity of our county.

So, today, I am leaving the agency stronger than it was when I started. I am confident in the ability of the men and women of the Broward Sheriff’s Office to keep Broward safe.

I look forward to returning soon as Sheriff to complete the mission we began in 2013. So now, it is on to court.
Thank you, Broward County, for your support – and let’s continue to work together to keep Broward safe.

Firefly
01-11-19, 21:09
That's disgusting. Revolting.
Obviously not a man who is kept awake at night by the cries of the innocent in vain attempts to drown them with vodka

Vandal
01-11-19, 22:51
Firefly, I suspect he sleeps very well as he plans the next step in his political career.

Buckaroo
01-11-19, 22:51
"So, today, I am leaving the agency stronger than it was when I started. I am confident in the ability of the men and women of the Broward Sheriff’s Office to keep Broward safe."
Made me puke in my mouth.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

sgtrock82
01-12-19, 14:58
His every utterance robs the very space around him of intelligence. Him and peterson should be stuffed into one of elon musks old rockets and shot at the sun. This earth is too good for even their ashes.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Averageman
03-05-19, 13:43
https://www.local10.com/news/florida/broward/broward-county-school-board-to-decide-fate-of-robert-runcie
Runcie has been criticized over a string of communication failures and slow-moving construction projects and for not moving fast enough to address school security issues.
A meeting aimed at offering updates on safety improvements turned contentious last week as Parkland parents and Runcie supporters publicly clashed over his future.
Board member Lori Alhadeff -- another parent who lost a child in the shooting -- is making the push to fire Runcie.
"The urgency to do this now is because the district is spiraling out of control. Mr. Runcie has demonstrated a history of poor leadership," Alhadeff said in a statement.
Board members Rosalind Osgood, Laurie Rich Levinson, Ann Murray, Donna Korn and Patricia Good have publicly praised Runcie's efforts. Each rated him either highly effective or effective in his last performance review several months ago.
But Alhadeff, Nora Rupert, Robin Bartleman and Heather Brinkworth have been critical of Runcie's leadership.
A simple majority is needed, but it doesn't appear there are enough votes to make the firing happen.

https://patch.com/florida/miami/broward-school-board-weighs-fate-embattled-superintendent
Broward County school officials were meeting Tuesday to decide the fate of embattled school chief Robert Runcie.
The school board of Broward County was considering a proposal to terminate Runcie's contract with the district little more than one year after the horrific school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that resulted in the deaths of 17 students and faculty members.
The move to fire Runcie is reportedly being led by Lori Alhadeff, who was elected to the board after losing her daughter in the tragedy.
Max Schachter, whose son, Alex, was killed in the school shooting, told the board that it's time for Runcie to go.
The move to fire Runcie is reportedly being led by Lori Alhadeff, who was elected to the board after losing her daughter in the tragedy.
Max Schachter, whose son, Alex, was killed in the school shooting, told the board that it's time for Runcie to go.

Honestly, why didn't he just resign and go away, has he no shame?

jsbhike
03-05-19, 14:04
Are people there allowed to defend themselves however they choose yet? No.

Since that is the case, are police and others held criminally and civilly liable when the victim disarmament scheme works as intended? No again.

Averageman
03-05-19, 15:06
I think going after the Superintendent is warranted in this case.
If I remember correctly the Obama administration pushed forward some policy concerning how students were disciplined at school, they felt too many discipline cases were leaving schools completely rather than being mainstreamed while having discipline issues.
There was also some pieces written that the schools were fudging some numbers to make the schools look much safer and did not show the exact numbers of issues that were happening.
Add in to this our shooter, some very weak school security and Broward County Sheriff and there was your perfect storm.
But it is so much easier to blame the gun and not the actual adults responsible to keep the students safe.

jsbhike
03-05-19, 16:01
I am sure the superintendent along with many others in the school hierarchy need to be canned as well, but that isn't likely to be the kind of disincentive needed to keep their successors from following the same path.

glocktogo
03-07-19, 11:41
I think going after the Superintendent is warranted in this case.
If I remember correctly the Obama administration pushed forward some policy concerning how students were disciplined at school, they felt too many discipline cases were leaving schools completely rather than being mainstreamed while having discipline issues.
There was also some pieces written that the schools were fudging some numbers to make the schools look much safer and did not show the exact numbers of issues that were happening.
Add in to this our shooter, some very weak school security and Broward County Sheriff and there was your perfect storm.
But it is so much easier to blame the gun and not the actual adults responsible to keep the students safe.

Anyone who works harder to make their jurisdiction appear safer, than they work to actually MAKE it safer, is an irredeemable POS. :mad:

WillBrink
06-06-19, 11:47
Due to Qs/comments in this thread:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?215743-Deputy-Scot-Peterson-has-been-arrested-for-his-failure-to-act

I'm bumping this one. Report in the OP is well worth watching and will make you wanna smash the screen repeatedly.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-07-19, 01:19
It is interesting. We had the recent school shooting by the two freaks here in CO. They tried to make it another Parkland anti-gun event, and the school kids and their parents wanted nothing to do with it. The push is for better mental health resources and more school police officers. No major movement against guns. Re-affirmed my waning trust in CO people.

arptsprt
06-07-19, 06:09
I saw that. Good for them.

4th generation Coloradan here. Grew up in the home of Coors beer. Moved to Idaho, where my wife is from, 12 years ago. All my family still lives in the Denver area. I’m so saddened and disappointed what the Denver metro area has become. Hickenlooper was bad enough, now you have Polis.

Like many other western states, the major population center drives the politics and spells doom for the rest of the state which is still relatively red. But, it’s nothing like it was growing up there.

When Columbine happened I was married to a teacher and she and had very different political views. Notice how I said “was married”? Although there was an obvious anti-gun spin after Columbine, it’s my opinion it was nothing near as vitriolic as what we see today. The exploitation is 10x worse. So good for these kids.

I understand Commerce City recently designated itself as a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary City? Good for them being imbedded right in the heart Denver.

It is interesting. We had the recent school shooting by the two freaks here in CO. They tried to make it another Parkland anti-gun event, and the school kids and their parents wanted nothing to do with it. The push is for better mental health resources and more school police officers. No major movement against guns. Re-affirmed my waning trust in CO people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arptsprt
06-07-19, 06:12
I saw that. Good for them.

4th generation Coloradan here. Grew up in the home of Coors beer. Moved to Idaho, where my wife is from, 12 years ago. All my family still lives in the Denver area. I’m so saddened and disappointed what the Denver metro area has become. Hickenlooper was bad enough, now you have Polis.

Like many other western states, the major population center drives the politics and spells doom for the rest of the state which is still relatively red. But, it’s nothing like it was growing up there.

When Columbine happened I was married to a teacher and she and had very different political views. Notice how I said “was married”? Although there was an obvious anti-gun spin after Columbine, it’s my opinion it was nothing near as vitriolic as what we see today. The exploitation is 10x worse. So good for these kids.

I understand Commerce City recently designated itself as a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary City? Good for them being imbedded right in the heart Denver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk