PDA

View Full Version : My Thanks to "The Don" (Escape from the Middle East)

AndyLate
12-30-18, 10:58
First, let me say this is completely non-political.

My unit arrived in Saudi Arabia from the West Coast in Oct. 1990 expecting to be gone for 3-6 months. We loaded onto a Fed Ex passenger plane in October 1991 to fly home to our families. We hit truly epic turbulence when we took off, but Fed Ex got us to Philly and U.S. soil. Unfortunately, that was the end of the line for them. For reasons I never understood, we were not allowed in the passenger terminal. After hanging out in an unheated hanger or cargo terminal for 3 hours, we all pretty much realized no one arranged the final leg of our transportation.

1 hour later our Captain came into the hanger smiling and told us that Trump Airlines was flying us home. I don't know who was actually responsible for the descision, but I know the outside of the plane and the leather seats in the cabin both said "Trump".

My wife and I, along with another 100+ Soldiers and their families will always be thankful for that ride.

Andy

soulezoo
12-30-18, 19:39
Well I can't say I got that, but by golly I had a wonderful trip over there (same time + circumstances) courtesy of Hawaiian Airlines! The stewardesses were fantastic...in every way!

AndyLate
12-30-18, 21:35
I do not remember the Trump attendants at all.

The Fed Ex attendants were obviously supplementing their social security checks.

Looking back, the fanfare and parades were over by the time we came home to Ft Lewis and we really stood out in October with our tanned skin (all races).